Skip to content

Led Zeppelin wins 'Stairway to Heaven' copyright infringement case

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
38 7 1.1k 1
  • AxeA Axe

    @axe said:

    @westside-steve said:

    Mr. Big Shot hot hand rock guitar wizard. I can't play those complicated patterns you should know that.

    ?

    WSS

    I'm scared to ask,, what's hand rock? 😳

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #8

    @axe said:

    "hot hand" is an adjectives unto itself.

    WSS

  • AxeA Axe

    Not a Zeppelin fan I take it?

    Steve, how many songs do you use the I IV V in? 😉

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @axe said:

    Not a Zeppelin fan I take it?

    Steve, how many songs do you use the I IV V in? 😉

    They’re Ok. It’s just that I recognize that they are music thieves. 

  • @axe said:

    We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences 😉

    That's just the way it's always been and always will be.

    Yea, but they out and out ripped off many songs of others.  It went beyond influence to pure plagiarism.  You only have to hear a few of the songs they stole from to know that. 

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/?fbclid=IwAR3ctgpz_Yj77_TegyrqbYjV9b-P9U1sWnK7bkaz3qf9bKOJ5J6Vh1rkGD8

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea, but they out and out ripped off many songs of others.  It went beyond influence to pure plagiarism.  You only have to hear a few of the songs they stole from to know that. 

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/?fbclid=IwAR3ctgpz_Yj77_TegyrqbYjV9b-P9U1sWnK7bkaz3qf9bKOJ5J6Vh1rkGD8

    The only one with any viable similarity is I should have quit you a long time ago and only because of the lyric line. ..

    WSS

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #11

    I borrowed a chord progression I heard on a gameshow that I heard when I was a kid... I just changed they key and the harmonic chord structure and used different voicings...

  • I borrowed a chord progression I heard on a gameshow that I heard when I was a kid... I just changed they key and the harmonic chord structure and used different voicings...

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @nickers said:

    I borrowed a chord progression I heard on a gameshow that I heard when I was a kid... I just changed they key and the harmonic chord structure and used different voicings...

    And that game show most likely borrowed it from something their musical director heard  previously..

     I'll say it again. We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences .. Sometimes we flat out cover and pay the lisc fees like we did here.. We were contacted by Sonny. We showed them the licenses we acquired to do this and all they said was "excellent work"..

    Close to 100,000 spotify streams have made us almost $16 😉

  • AxeA Axe

    @nickers said:

    I borrowed a chord progression I heard on a gameshow that I heard when I was a kid... I just changed they key and the harmonic chord structure and used different voicings...

    And that game show most likely borrowed it from something their musical director heard  previously..

     I'll say it again. We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences .. Sometimes we flat out cover and pay the lisc fees like we did here.. We were contacted by Sonny. We showed them the licenses we acquired to do this and all they said was "excellent work"..

    Close to 100,000 spotify streams have made us almost $16 😉

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #13

    @axe said:

    And that game show most likely borrowed it from something their musical director heard  previously..

     I'll say it again. We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences .. Sometimes we flat out cover and pay the lisc fees like we did here.. We were contacted by Sonny. We showed them the licenses we acquired to do this and all they said was "excellent work"..

    Close to 100,000 spotify streams have made us almost $16 😉

    To be honest at my age when I don't expect recordings to earn my living I'm happier to know that hundreds and hundreds of people have streams my songs even if I only get a penny of shot.

    ?❤

    WSS

    Edit

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #14

    this and The Rain Song man

  • @axe said:

    And that game show most likely borrowed it from something their musical director heard  previously..

     I'll say it again. We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences .. Sometimes we flat out cover and pay the lisc fees like we did here.. We were contacted by Sonny. We showed them the licenses we acquired to do this and all they said was "excellent work"..

    Close to 100,000 spotify streams have made us almost $16 😉

    To be honest at my age when I don't expect recordings to earn my living I'm happier to know that hundreds and hundreds of people have streams my songs even if I only get a penny of shot.

    ?❤

    WSS

    Edit

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @westside-steve said:

    To be honest at my age when I don't expect recordings to earn my living I'm happier to know that hundreds and hundreds of people have streams my songs even if I only get a penny of shot.

    ?❤

    WSS

    Edit

    The music industry is in a very bad place. I have no desire to do live again. Now, clubs want four bands a night and want you to pre purchase tickets to sell for them. No one gets paid Not interested.. The businesses the wife and I own and operate are far more lucrative.. I don't expect our recordings to earn our livings either.. I'm just saying that $.006 a stream is larceny too.. The music industry, the last bastion of legalized slavery.

  • AxeA Axe

    @westside-steve said:

    To be honest at my age when I don't expect recordings to earn my living I'm happier to know that hundreds and hundreds of people have streams my songs even if I only get a penny of shot.

    ?❤

    WSS

    Edit

    The music industry is in a very bad place. I have no desire to do live again. Now, clubs want four bands a night and want you to pre purchase tickets to sell for them. No one gets paid Not interested.. The businesses the wife and I own and operate are far more lucrative.. I don't expect our recordings to earn our livings either.. I'm just saying that $.006 a stream is larceny too.. The music industry, the last bastion of legalized slavery.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @axe said:

    The music industry is in a very bad place. I have no desire to do live again. Now, clubs want four bands a night and want you to pre purchase tickets to sell for them. No one gets paid Not interested.. The businesses the wife and I own and operate are far more lucrative.. I don't expect our recordings to earn our livings either.. I'm just saying that $.006 a stream is larceny too.. The music industry, the last bastion of legalized slavery.

    When you think about it it's been fucked up as far back as we can remember. Back to the 50s when record companies hired groups of random kids to sing generic-pop-songs put them on tour keep all the money and then go on to the next batch. Way back before album sales before album sales meant anything. Sometimes it amazes me we have gone full circle. I still enjoy performing but I'm probably substantially older than you are and I don't need to anymore. 

    WSS

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #17

    89951237_1598097877032358_10711200127537

  • AxeA Axe

    89951237_1598097877032358_10711200127537

    ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @axe said:

    89951237_1598097877032358_10711200127537

    well ya thats why people should spend money at the merch table

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Taurus? Hell I was a Spirit fan and never heard Taurus... but yeah... pretty big rip there. First impression of its opening was the start of West Side Story tho... so maybe Bernstein's estate has a case as well...

    When I think Spirit, I think 12 Dreams...

  • AxeA Axe

    We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences 😉

    That's just the way it's always been and always will be.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @axe said:

    We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences

    I forget who said it, but the quote was, "there are no new notes."

  • Taurus? Hell I was a Spirit fan and never heard Taurus... but yeah... pretty big rip there. First impression of its opening was the start of West Side Story tho... so maybe Bernstein's estate has a case as well...

    When I think Spirit, I think 12 Dreams...

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @tour2ma said:

    Taurus? Hell I was a Spirit fan and never heard Taurus... but yeah... pretty big rip there. First impression of its opening was the start of West Side Story tho... so maybe Bernstein's estate has a case as well...

    When I think Spirit, I think 12 Dreams...

    We used to do I've got a line on you. All time classic opening guitar riff.

    WSS

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #22

    I remember seeing Spirit way way way back when.. Didn't they have a drummer they called "Mr Clean"?

  • AxeA Axe

    I remember seeing Spirit way way way back when.. Didn't they have a drummer they called "Mr Clean"?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @axe said:

    Didn't they have a drummer they called "Mr Clean"?

    That would be Ed Cassidy... one of the two steady members on the group along with frontman, Randy "California" (Wolfe). Randy was the real talent of the group.

    Ed was as bald as bald can be and was old enough to be Randy's Dad. In fact he was actually Randy's step-dad.

    Otherwise Spirit was comprised of whoever in a pool of players was available at the time to record and/or tour. Basically it was the Steely Dan model before there was a Steely Dan.

    AllMusic has a nice bio for the group... as it does most groups. https://www.allmusic.com/artist/spirit-mn0000746010/biography

  • @axe said:

    Didn't they have a drummer they called "Mr Clean"?

    That would be Ed Cassidy... one of the two steady members on the group along with frontman, Randy "California" (Wolfe). Randy was the real talent of the group.

    Ed was as bald as bald can be and was old enough to be Randy's Dad. In fact he was actually Randy's step-dad.

    Otherwise Spirit was comprised of whoever in a pool of players was available at the time to record and/or tour. Basically it was the Steely Dan model before there was a Steely Dan.

    AllMusic has a nice bio for the group... as it does most groups. https://www.allmusic.com/artist/spirit-mn0000746010/biography

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #24

    @tour2ma said:

    That would be Ed Cassidy... one of the two steady members on the group along with frontman, Randy "California" (Wolfe). Randy was the real talent of the group.

    Ed was as bald as bald can be and was old enough to be Randy's Dad. In fact he was actually Randy's step-dad.

    Otherwise Spirit was comprised of whoever in a pool of players was available at the time to record and/or tour. Basically it was the Steely Dan model before there was a Steely Dan.

    AllMusic has a nice bio for the group... as it does most groups. https://www.allmusic.com/artist/spirit-mn0000746010/biography

    I remember the rumors circulating at the time that Ed Cassidy was Randy California's father. I don't know if it's online but I saying Harmony are record by Scott Alan on the song Nature's Way. Which is my favorite song of theirs.

    WSS

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #25

    A roommate of mine and I used to argue which side of 12 Dreams... was the better one. I always took side 1 which included your fav which bled into mine, Animal Zoo...

    Oh no something went wrong well you're much too fat and a little too long... Oh no there's too much to do better get on home to the Animal Zoo...IIRC... lol

    My fav had the distinction of not being written by Randy, but one of the pool players, Jay Fergusen, who I followed thru a chunk of his solo career. Thunder Island  is one of his LPs I remember... and still own.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe
    #26

    It was a long time ago mind you, but I think I saw Spirit open for Steppenwolf.. Back in the Flux days of Steppenwolf.. Geez, long time ago.. 74 or so..

    Right or wrong, I always viewed Spirit as a precursor to Styx 🤔

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #27

    I can see that... always felt Styx had a touch of "glam" quality to them that I did not feel with Spirit, but...

    Steppenwolf... geez... saw them once in '73 IIRC... in the Public Auditorium...

    Redbone opened... and threw out a high-energy set.

    Then for some unknown reason the producers sandwiched Dan Hick and His Hot Licks between Redbone and Steppenwolf. To say it did not work is an understatement. They were booed off the stage.

    And then WMMS legend, Billy Bass, berated the crowd punctuated by a hardy, "Fuck you," at the end...

    I did not boo, but I understood the sentiment. While I could handle the odd Dan Hicks track on MMS... a full set by what was basically a gimmick band would have been a bit much... especially in that sandwich.