Skip to content

Most underrated Browns in modern era

The Browns Board
90 20 2.0k 1
  • @gumby73 said:

    I get that Joe D got in the HOF as a Buffalo Bill..But Sam Rutigliano pounded the table to get Joe Delamiellure in a trade to a upgrade over Jackson & Sheppard at RG...OJ ran for 2000 yards in a Bills season with Joe D.. But than, Sipe passed for over 4100 yards when Joe D arrived.. Joe D played 5 years as a Brown & started 70 of 73 at RG.. a 11-5 record adding Joe D, got us going to some playoff games..Joe D was no way underrated... but Rutigliano & the trade of Joe D was..  

    Joe D is in as an equal  between the Bills and Browns.  See this link to the PFHOF site.  Hall of Famers by Franchise.  They indicate here that they have teams in bold if a player has played the primary part of his career with a particular team.  Joe D is in bold for both Browns and Bills:

    https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/franchises/

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #68

    @the-gipper said:

    Joe D is in as an equal  between the Bills and Browns.  See this link to the PFHOF site.  Hall of Famers by Franchise.  They indicate here that they have teams in bold if a player has played the primary part of his career with a particular team.  Joe D is in bold for both Browns and Bills:

    https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/franchises/

    did not know this..cool list & what virus did i have not knowing Ed Reed finished his playing career as a Houston Texan & a NY Jet in 2013? playing as old Ed, got Reed paid another 1.3M  

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #69

    LeRoy Hoard was definitely underrated.

    He was a beast of a runner

  • @icecube said:

    I thought KJ was the only decent player taken that entire draft, from Cuse I think. 

    The stat that I am using above would say you are wrong.

    KJ  had a .31  game to game production score.

    Couch had a .48  score.  The fact is,  Couch was "decent"  until injured. Just put into terrible circumstances...but still was the primary QB in the Browns only playoff season since 1994. 

    Daylon McCutcheon had a .32 score.     Now THERE may be your underrated player.  He played in 103 games for the Browns in 7 years.  12 Ints.   2 returned for TDs.  431 tackles made in those years 

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @the-gipper said:

    The stat that I am using above would say you are wrong.

    KJ  had a .31  game to game production score.

    Couch had a .48  score.  The fact is,  Couch was "decent"  until injured. Just put into terrible circumstances...but still was the primary QB in the Browns only playoff season since 1994. 

    Daylon McCutcheon had a .32 score.     Now THERE may be your underrated player.  He played in 103 games for the Browns in 7 years.  12 Ints.   2 returned for TDs.  431 tackles made in those years 

    Hey brother, you may be right, but I'm just going on the eye test of what I remember. KJ is obviously not a Hall of Famer, but he was one of the few picks that draft that was decent.

  • @icecube said:

    I thought KJ was the only decent player taken that entire draft, from Cuse I think. 

    The stat that I am using above would say you are wrong.

    KJ  had a .31  game to game production score.

    Couch had a .48  score.  The fact is,  Couch was "decent"  until injured. Just put into terrible circumstances...but still was the primary QB in the Browns only playoff season since 1994. 

    Daylon McCutcheon had a .32 score.     Now THERE may be your underrated player.  He played in 103 games for the Browns in 7 years.  12 Ints.   2 returned for TDs.  431 tackles made in those years 

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @the-gipper said:

    The stat that I am using above would say you are wrong.

    KJ  had a .31  game to game production score.

    Couch had a .48  score.  The fact is,  Couch was "decent"  until injured. Just put into terrible circumstances...but still was the primary QB in the Browns only playoff season since 1994. 

    Daylon McCutcheon had a .32 score.     Now THERE may be your underrated player.  He played in 103 games for the Browns in 7 years.  12 Ints.   2 returned for TDs.  431 tackles made in those years 

    Cherry picking. How was Couch for a #1 overall pick for the Browns? KJ, as a 2nd rounder, was, by far, a better pick. Couch set them back 7 years.

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoucTi00.htm

  • I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #72

    Eric Turner. An enforcer. 

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #73

    I don’t think Couch was the problem 

    The fact he was surrounded by crap was the problem 

  • Eric Turner. An enforcer. 

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @icecube said:

    Eric Turner. An enforcer. 

    I still have a #29 jersey 

  • I don’t think Couch was the problem 

    The fact he was surrounded by crap was the problem 

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @browns149 said:

    I don’t think Couch was the problem 

    The fact he was surrounded by crap was the problem 

    He definitely was in a bad position. I felt bad for him. But honestly, he would have to landed on a perfect team to do well. (Like most QBs I guess). 

    Jeff Garcia didn't do anything in Cleveland either, but he was underrated for his career. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    The stat that I am using above would say you are wrong.

    KJ  had a .31  game to game production score.

    Couch had a .48  score.  The fact is,  Couch was "decent"  until injured. Just put into terrible circumstances...but still was the primary QB in the Browns only playoff season since 1994. 

    Daylon McCutcheon had a .32 score.     Now THERE may be your underrated player.  He played in 103 games for the Browns in 7 years.  12 Ints.   2 returned for TDs.  431 tackles made in those years 

    Cherry picking. How was Couch for a #1 overall pick for the Browns? KJ, as a 2nd rounder, was, by far, a better pick. Couch set them back 7 years.

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoucTi00.htm

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #76

    @icecube said:

    Cherry picking. How was Couch for a #1 overall pick for the Browns? KJ, as a 2nd rounder, was, by far, a better pick. Couch set them back 7 years.

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoucTi00.htm

    Wholly disagree.   Couch was the better pick.  Who do you think was throwing it to KJ?   It was not Couch. The ownership screwed things up for this team....Couch just got hammered so badly behind poor OLs that it eventually caught up with him with injuries. 

    But, remember, he married a Playmate of the Year  from NE Ohio. 

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #77

    Cody Risien, 7th rd pick out of TAMU, Made 2 Pro Bowls in 86 and 87 and was named 2nd Team All Pro in 83.  Darubes mentioned him earlier as well.

    Tony Jones LT, Undrafted, Played for us from 88-95 and ended his career in Denver in 2000.  Was the best linemen we had on the last Cleveland Browns team that won a playoff game before he started in 2 SBs for Denver and made a Pro Bowl in 98.  Had a 12 year career; and IMO he got robbed of a Pro Bowl in 95.   The good news is when he went to SBs - he finally got the credit he deserved, right Clay Matthews?  

    Hank Fraley. After losing LeCharles Bentley in 2006, Cleveland traded with Philly to land him.  Philly had already demoted him to 2nd string in their 2006 training camp following his injury shortened season in 2005.   So, exactly how was this former Robert Morris football player going to be the solution to the loss of LeCharles Bentley?  I'll start with the reminder that 2-3 auditions before him failed miserably leading to the desperation for Cleveland to trade for him.  We ended up receiving a reliable and scrappy student of the game that could make all the line calls; and pull around either end from his Center position (which the book cover didn't advertise).  As fate would have it in 2007, Joe Thomas became our LT and Eric Steinbach was the LG sandwiched between Fraley and Thomas.  To the right of Fraley we had Ryan Tucker (12 starts)/Seth McKinney (4 starts) and Kevin Shaffer playing his best football (no longer on the blind side of QB). In the end, Fraley was a very valuable guy that made all the line calls and provided veteran leadership during that year Cleveland went 10-6 in 2007.  

  • Steve "Eric" Heiden..

    I thought he was a pretty good TE.. Caught and blocked pretty well for a journeyman TE

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #78

    @nickers said:

    Steve "Eric" Heiden..

    I thought he was a pretty good TE.. Caught and blocked pretty well for a journeyman TE

    I agree Nickers.  I thought he provided solid dual purpose that didn't tip tendencies. Had underrated hands and could help set the edge a lot better than Winslow (after multiple knee surgeries).  I wouldn't mind finding a guy like this for us today. 

  • Greg Pruitt the king of the tear away jersey

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #79

    @atom said:

    Greg Pruitt the king of the tear away jersey

    LOVED that guy!   He's my avatar.  I don't know if he was underrated (4 Pro Bowls for Browns & 1 for Raiders) or just forgotten by non-Cleveland fans due to all the injuries that cut seasons/overall career short. Those that saw him don't forget him.  Very fun to watch. Until Nick Chubb (also drafted in the upper part of round 2 like Pruitt) - I haven't seen a lot of RBs here that could score from anywhere on the field. 

    I think his strength and power at 190 lbs was underrated as you alluded to above.  He is always mentioned as the reason those jerseys no longer exist.  Pruitt held the Superstars record for the overhead press with 325 pounds until a very roided up Mark Gastineau at 275 lbs eventually broke it a few years later.

  • John Greco....

    Back when we had a really good OL John was everyone's afterthought.

    Started two years next to Joe T. at LG. Flipped seamlessly to RG when Bito came along and elevated Schwartz's game when he moved.

    Played heavy in our power run scheme and then shed 20 pounds to get quicker when we went to the ZBS.

    Twice stabilized our Center play... once when Mack was injured... once when Erving face planted

    The guy brought his lunch pail to Berea for 5 good seasons before injury ground him down.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #80

    @tour2ma said:

    John Greco....

    Back when we had a really good OL John was everyone's afterthought.

    Started two years next to Joe T. at LG. Flipped seamlessly to RG when Bito came along and elevated Schwartz's game when he moved.

    Played heavy in our power run scheme and then shed 20 pounds to get quicker when we went to the ZBS.

    Twice stabilized our Center play... once when Mack was injured... once when Erving face planted

    The guy brought his lunch pail to Berea for 5 good seasons before injury ground him down.

    Great choice here Tour - especially considering he was mostly a backup with the Rams  in 2008, 2009 and 2010 before we traded for him! One of the conditions of this trade in terms of what round draft pick we would give up was based on if he started or not in Cleveland in 2011. He did not start a game for us in 2011 so the conditional pick we gave up for him was a 7th round pick in 2012.

    Speaking of 2012, he started 12 games for us after an injury to Jason Pinkston.  He played well enough to get himself a 5 year contract extension on July 23, 2013 that could earn him up to $13 million with $3 million Guaranteed. The rest is better said above...

    I'm glad I see a thread like this. It reminds me that our fans do remember what some of the guys have put on the line here; and it's not always from the players the show up with the sexiest football resumes.  It's guys that show up with imperfections that fully understand that anything less than a "blue collar all you got" won't keep them here for long.   When they succeed from this mentality - it's nice to see fans appreciating it. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    The stat that I am using above would say you are wrong.

    KJ  had a .31  game to game production score.

    Couch had a .48  score.  The fact is,  Couch was "decent"  until injured. Just put into terrible circumstances...but still was the primary QB in the Browns only playoff season since 1994. 

    Daylon McCutcheon had a .32 score.     Now THERE may be your underrated player.  He played in 103 games for the Browns in 7 years.  12 Ints.   2 returned for TDs.  431 tackles made in those years 

    Hey brother, you may be right, but I'm just going on the eye test of what I remember. KJ is obviously not a Hall of Famer, but he was one of the few picks that draft that was decent.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #81

    @icecube said:

    Hey brother, you may be right, but I'm just going on the eye test of what I remember. KJ is obviously not a Hall of Famer, but he was one of the few picks that draft that was decent.

    Actually...if you think about it.....we probably got more "decent" picks out of that draft with Couch, KJ, McCutcheon,  than we did in the next several drafts....with the likes of Courtney Brown and Gerard Warren. 

  • @browns149 said:

    I don’t think Couch was the problem 

    The fact he was surrounded by crap was the problem 

    He definitely was in a bad position. I felt bad for him. But honestly, he would have to landed on a perfect team to do well. (Like most QBs I guess). 

    Jeff Garcia didn't do anything in Cleveland either, but he was underrated for his career. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #82

    @icecube said:

    He definitely was in a bad position. I felt bad for him. But honestly, he would have to landed on a perfect team to do well. (Like most QBs I guess). 

    Jeff Garcia didn't do anything in Cleveland either, but he was underrated for his career. 

    Jeff Garcia also married a Playmate of the Year from NE Ohio. 

    So, I guess if you are an underrated (or overrated) Browns QB....you get to marry a Playmate. 

  • @nickers said:

    Steve "Eric" Heiden..

    I thought he was a pretty good TE.. Caught and blocked pretty well for a journeyman TE

    I agree Nickers.  I thought he provided solid dual purpose that didn't tip tendencies. Had underrated hands and could help set the edge a lot better than Winslow (after multiple knee surgeries).  I wouldn't mind finding a guy like this for us today. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #83

    @flugel said:

    I agree Nickers.  I thought he provided solid dual purpose that didn't tip tendencies. Had underrated hands and could help set the edge a lot better than Winslow (after multiple knee surgeries).  I wouldn't mind finding a guy like this for us today. 

    He's pretty much what you look for prototypically in a TE.. Size, Good hands, Decent wheels and blocks... I would take that any ol day...

  • @browns149 said:

    I don’t think Couch was the problem 

    The fact he was surrounded by crap was the problem 

    He definitely was in a bad position. I felt bad for him. But honestly, he would have to landed on a perfect team to do well. (Like most QBs I guess). 

    Jeff Garcia didn't do anything in Cleveland either, but he was underrated for his career. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #84

    @icecube said:

    He definitely was in a bad position. I felt bad for him. But honestly, he would have to landed on a perfect team to do well. (Like most QBs I guess). 

    Jeff Garcia didn't do anything in Cleveland either, but he was underrated for his career. 

    Well he did one thing he met a girl from Westlake, Ohio Carmella DeCesare who was half Italian half Puerto Rican and the playmate of the year in 2004, They had a bunch of kids and did pretty well together.  She's still a babe !

    square___medialibrary_original_496_516.jpg

  • @icecube said:

    He definitely was in a bad position. I felt bad for him. But honestly, he would have to landed on a perfect team to do well. (Like most QBs I guess). 

    Jeff Garcia didn't do anything in Cleveland either, but he was underrated for his career. 

    Well he did one thing he met a girl from Westlake, Ohio Carmella DeCesare who was half Italian half Puerto Rican and the playmate of the year in 2004, They had a bunch of kids and did pretty well together.  She's still a babe !

    square___medialibrary_original_496_516.jpg

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @mjp28 said:

    Well he did one thing he met a girl from Westlake, Ohio Carmella DeCesare who was half Italian half Puerto Rican and the playmate of the year in 2004, They had a bunch of kids and did pretty well together.  She's still a babe !

    square___medialibrary_original_496_516.jpg

    mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmmmmmmmmm

  • @atom said:

    Greg Pruitt the king of the tear away jersey

    LOVED that guy!   He's my avatar.  I don't know if he was underrated (4 Pro Bowls for Browns & 1 for Raiders) or just forgotten by non-Cleveland fans due to all the injuries that cut seasons/overall career short. Those that saw him don't forget him.  Very fun to watch. Until Nick Chubb (also drafted in the upper part of round 2 like Pruitt) - I haven't seen a lot of RBs here that could score from anywhere on the field. 

    I think his strength and power at 190 lbs was underrated as you alluded to above.  He is always mentioned as the reason those jerseys no longer exist.  Pruitt held the Superstars record for the overhead press with 325 pounds until a very roided up Mark Gastineau at 275 lbs eventually broke it a few years later.

    alporciniA alporcini wrote on last edited by
    #86

    @flugel said:

    LOVED that guy!   He's my avatar.  I don't know if he was underrated (4 Pro Bowls for Browns & 1 for Raiders) or just forgotten by non-Cleveland fans due to all the injuries that cut seasons/overall career short. Those that saw him don't forget him.  Very fun to watch. Until Nick Chubb (also drafted in the upper part of round 2 like Pruitt) - I haven't seen a lot of RBs here that could score from anywhere on the field. 

    I think his strength and power at 190 lbs was underrated as you alluded to above.  He is always mentioned as the reason those jerseys no longer exist.  Pruitt held the Superstars record for the overhead press with 325 pounds until a very roided up Mark Gastineau at 275 lbs eventually broke it a few years later.

    As I recall in college at OU his jersey read Hello on the front, goodbye on the back. 

  • @flugel said:

    LOVED that guy!   He's my avatar.  I don't know if he was underrated (4 Pro Bowls for Browns & 1 for Raiders) or just forgotten by non-Cleveland fans due to all the injuries that cut seasons/overall career short. Those that saw him don't forget him.  Very fun to watch. Until Nick Chubb (also drafted in the upper part of round 2 like Pruitt) - I haven't seen a lot of RBs here that could score from anywhere on the field. 

    I think his strength and power at 190 lbs was underrated as you alluded to above.  He is always mentioned as the reason those jerseys no longer exist.  Pruitt held the Superstars record for the overhead press with 325 pounds until a very roided up Mark Gastineau at 275 lbs eventually broke it a few years later.

    As I recall in college at OU his jersey read Hello on the front, goodbye on the back. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #87

    @alporcini said:

    As I recall in college at OU his jersey read Hello on the front, goodbye on the back. 

    Makes perfect sense to me!  Thanks for sharing that Al!