Skip to content

No Other Sports Going On

The Browns Board
59 18 1.6k
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @the-gipper said:

    No 

    Wrong again...

  • @the-gipper said:

    No 

    Wrong again...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #44

    @tour2ma said:

    Wrong again...

    Yes, you are. 

    Oh, wait,   you're still mad because I got it wrong that I thought Brandon Weeden didn't start that first game of  his rookie season. 

    So, you are right....I was wrong once.  And you have never gotten over it. 

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I saw documentary on television that believes that the so called 'spanish flu' actually started at an army base in the United states during WW1.

    First cases were in mainland US, and it ended up being called the Spanish Flu because during the WWI it was the only country reporting it's evolution, as other countries taking part in the war almost didn't give any notice about it. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @nero said:

    First cases were in mainland US, and it ended up being called the Spanish Flu because during the WWI it was the only country reporting it's evolution, as other countries taking part in the war almost didn't give any notice about it. 

    Intentionally... none of the warring countries wanted to show weakness to their foe(s). So their own populations paid the price.

    One of the bigger prices was paid by Philadelphia after allowing a scheduled parade to happen. The spike in transmission rate and deaths was one of the biggest in the States.

  • @nero said:

    First cases were in mainland US, and it ended up being called the Spanish Flu because during the WWI it was the only country reporting it's evolution, as other countries taking part in the war almost didn't give any notice about it. 

    Intentionally... none of the warring countries wanted to show weakness to their foe(s). So their own populations paid the price.

    One of the bigger prices was paid by Philadelphia after allowing a scheduled parade to happen. The spike in transmission rate and deaths was one of the biggest in the States.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @tour2ma said:

    Intentionally... none of the warring countries wanted to show weakness to their foe(s). So their own populations paid the price.

    One of the bigger prices was paid by Philadelphia after allowing a scheduled parade to happen. The spike in transmission rate and deaths was one of the biggest in the States.

    Ever watch those old B&W WWI or WWII war shows, there was some brutal "stuff" going on there.   Especially the WWI trench warfare followed by the packed troop ships going home. Perfect for creating and spreading a pandemic virus.

    We finally are paying attention to history and trying not to repeat it......I hope.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #47

    Not too much on WWI, but I did see the PBS show on the 1918 flu you mentioned. It's where I got the info I posted above.

  • Not too much on WWI, but I did see the PBS show on the 1918 flu you mentioned. It's where I got the info I posted above.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @tour2ma said:

    Not too much on WWI, but I did see the PBS show on the 1918 flu you mentioned. It's where I got the info I posted above.

    In the WWI footage our doughboys were packed into the ships like sardines in a hot can which spread like wildfire and then they went home.

    BTW the 1919 influenza outbreak was much worse than the current one except that in the present one it is new, nobody has ever had it before, no antibodies have been built up.

    The only good thing about this is that hopefully we will be more educated about airborne and other diseases in the future.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Intentionally... none of the warring countries wanted to show weakness to their foe(s). So their own populations paid the price.

    One of the bigger prices was paid by Philadelphia after allowing a scheduled parade to happen. The spike in transmission rate and deaths was one of the biggest in the States.

    Ever watch those old B&W WWI or WWII war shows, there was some brutal "stuff" going on there.   Especially the WWI trench warfare followed by the packed troop ships going home. Perfect for creating and spreading a pandemic virus.

    We finally are paying attention to history and trying not to repeat it......I hope.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @mjp28 said:

    Ever watch those old B&W WWI or WWII war shows, there was some brutal "stuff" going on there.   Especially the WWI trench warfare followed by the packed troop ships going home. Perfect for creating and spreading a pandemic virus.

    We finally are paying attention to history and trying not to repeat it......I hope.

    I mean, they were using mustard gas etc.   Isn't that  a form of biological warfare? 

  • @mjp28 said:

    Ever watch those old B&W WWI or WWII war shows, there was some brutal "stuff" going on there.   Especially the WWI trench warfare followed by the packed troop ships going home. Perfect for creating and spreading a pandemic virus.

    We finally are paying attention to history and trying not to repeat it......I hope.

    I mean, they were using mustard gas etc.   Isn't that  a form of biological warfare? 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @the-gipper said:

    I mean, they were using mustard gas etc.   Isn't that  a form of biological warfare? 

    chemical.

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #51

    https://medium.com/@ra.hobday/coronavirus-and-the-sun-a-lesson-from-the-1918-influenza-pandemic-509151dc8065

    Oddly enough l read this just yesterday about the benefits of sunlight and fresh air relative to both 1918 and today. Viruses don’t fare so well in heat and sunlight. Certainly not modern medicine, but cheap and available some days.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I mean, they were using mustard gas etc.   Isn't that  a form of biological warfare? 

    chemical.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #52

    @calfoxwc said:

    chemical.

    And a worldwide ban after WWI never to use again....... unless you are a dictator from Iran or other bad guys.

    ......or a former dead one from Iraq.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Ever watch those old B&W WWI or WWII war shows, there was some brutal "stuff" going on there.   Especially the WWI trench warfare followed by the packed troop ships going home. Perfect for creating and spreading a pandemic virus.

    We finally are paying attention to history and trying not to repeat it......I hope.

    I mean, they were using mustard gas etc.   Isn't that  a form of biological warfare? 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @the-gipper said:

    I mean, they were using mustard gas etc.   Isn't that  a form of biological warfare? 

    Technically that falls under chemical warfare.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I mean, they were using mustard gas etc.   Isn't that  a form of biological warfare? 

    Technically that falls under chemical warfare.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @texasag1969 said:

    Technically that falls under chemical warfare.

    Well,  my son is getting his PhD in Biochemistry in May....so there MUST be some connection, No?  😆😎

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #55

    it snowed in Portland today

  • it snowed in Portland today

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @atom said:

    it snowed in Portland today

    It snowed in here  NEOhio today as well.

    It IS still winter you know. 

  • @atom said:

    it snowed in Portland today

    It snowed in here  NEOhio today as well.

    It IS still winter you know. 

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @the-gipper said:

    It snowed in here  NEOhio today as well.

    It IS still winter you know. 

    It was sleeting here in Wv today

    It was 71 Thursday 

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #58

    is there something wrong in this today

  • is there something wrong in this today

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @atom said:

    is there something wrong in this today

    Announcement about results of player vote on the new CBA expected soon.   At least that IS sports news.