Skip to content

Players Ratify New Collective Bargaining Agreement

The Browns Board
14 6 338
  • A total of 1,978 players voted and the CBA passed 1,019-959 — or by 60 votes, what amounts to roughly one NFL team’s roster and practice squad.

    Going to be some locker room tension for a while.

  • I initially thought a lockout could stop us should we right the ship again.  That's one obstacle down.

    Now we just need to get out of this pandemic. 

    Don't like the 17 week season.  Too long as it is now.  I thought  the playoffs were just fine the way they were too. 

  • 17 game season.....starting in 2021.

    No word on how the scheduling would be handled.   Though I understand that one year  16 teams will have  8 home and 9 away, and the other 16 the opposite.   Recall that I had some thoughts about that. 

    7 teams in each conference make playoffs.....that looks like it will start this year.

    No transition tag.     Only one player can be "tagged".   And that starts right NOW.  Note:  that means Cowboys cannot tag both Prescott and Cooper.

    No suspensions for marijuana use.     Treatment still likely.   Not sure about other street drugs.   (and don't think it affects  PEDs...need to see more)

    Disciplinary procedure changed.   Commissioner no longer judge, jury, executioner.   Think now that there is an arbitrator. 

    Minimum salary players all get a 100K raise per year. 

  • A total of 1,978 players voted and the CBA passed 1,019-959 — or by 60 votes, what amounts to roughly one NFL team’s roster and practice squad.

    Going to be some locker room tension for a while.

    @tour2ma said:

    Going to be some locker room tension for a while.

    They'll get over it. 

  • So:

    A.  Cowboys can only tag one player now.   So either Prescott or  Cooper will become Unrestricted FA....beginning tomorrow at noon.

    B. Same with Titans.   They will have to tag either  Derrick Henry or Ryan Tannehill.   the other will be UFA. 

    Also, I am hearing some whining on TV about the NFL not pushing back the beginning of the league year.   

    They are saying:  "these teams can't have players ...Free agents....in for interviews or workouts"   I say:  so fucking what!  They can skype to do an interview.  They have seen these players play for years....they have all the tape on them.  If the team wants to have a medical performed....go have the player do a locall medical exam....It can do them some good.  Test the for Corona even. 

    I see absolutely no reason that these teams, and these players can't adjust.  Its not like these were set to be public gatherings.  The next one of those is the draft...and that is like 6 weeks away.

  • Interestingly.....I hear that of the approximate   2500 players eligible to vote on this......500 of them didn't even bother to vote.   Pretty interesting in a situation where the measure passed by only 60 votes.

    (Of course, that is not unlike our political elections)

  • Interestingly.....I hear that of the approximate   2500 players eligible to vote on this......500 of them didn't even bother to vote.   Pretty interesting in a situation where the measure passed by only 60 votes.

    (Of course, that is not unlike our political elections)

    @the-gipper said:

    Interestingly.....I hear that of the approximate   2500 players eligible to vote on this......500 of them didn't even bother to vote.   Pretty interesting in a situation where the measure passed by only 60 votes.

    (Of course, that is not unlike our political elections)

     wow 500 stupid fucks 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Going to be some locker room tension for a while.

    They'll get over it. 

    @the-gipper said:

    They'll get over it. 

    Thus use of the phrase "for a while".

  • Interestingly.....I hear that of the approximate   2500 players eligible to vote on this......500 of them didn't even bother to vote.   Pretty interesting in a situation where the measure passed by only 60 votes.

    (Of course, that is not unlike our political elections)

    @the-gipper said:

    (Of course, that is not unlike our political elections)

    In US elections, you have the choice between two parties each controlled by the same monied interests [and it wasn't this way until b. clinton].  If you don't actually think this.. the "frank" of the dodd-frank bill [often publically asserted to be a regulation against banks] now draws his retirement sinecure as a board member of the bank in NYC which is the chief provider of loans to... D.Trump.  

    In the NFL, you have two sides of each issue whose interests are in fact diametrically opposite.. unlike the kayfabe of US elections..

  •  the "frank" of the dodd-frank bill [often publically asserted to be a regulation against banks]

    Don't really want to get into the politics...or the economics....but it was primarily the passage of dodd-frank that got us out of the "great recession"  because it closed up a lot of the abuses in the homeowner finance laws that caused it. 

    And I am NOT so sure that  the sides in the NFL were diametrically.   As I see it, the stars...the top paid players in the league didn't like it because it put more money....more of the salary cap... into the hands of the vast majority of lower paid players, and not enough of that money into their own pockets.  (the "excuse" being that they didn't want the 17 game season.  Now, there may have been some legitimate objection to the 17 game season, but I still think they may have used that opposition as a smokescreen

  • More CBA  thoughts:

    This agreement now calls for  7 teams in each conf. to make the playoffs,  so FYI, the two teams that would have made the playoffs this past year under this format would have been:

    AFC:  The Spermsucking Steelers.   at 8-8

    NFC:  The Rams   at 9-7

    This coming year, 2020, it is anticipated that it will be the 7 teams in each conf. to make the playoffs;  but the 17 game schedule will not start until 2021 as I said. 

  • So:

    A.  Cowboys can only tag one player now.   So either Prescott or  Cooper will become Unrestricted FA....beginning tomorrow at noon.

    B. Same with Titans.   They will have to tag either  Derrick Henry or Ryan Tannehill.   the other will be UFA. 

    Also, I am hearing some whining on TV about the NFL not pushing back the beginning of the league year.   

    They are saying:  "these teams can't have players ...Free agents....in for interviews or workouts"   I say:  so fucking what!  They can skype to do an interview.  They have seen these players play for years....they have all the tape on them.  If the team wants to have a medical performed....go have the player do a locall medical exam....It can do them some good.  Test the for Corona even. 

    I see absolutely no reason that these teams, and these players can't adjust.  Its not like these were set to be public gatherings.  The next one of those is the draft...and that is like 6 weeks away.

    @the-gipper said:

    So:

    A.  Cowboys can only tag one player now.   So either Prescott or  Cooper will become Unrestricted FA....beginning tomorrow at noon.

    B. Same with Titans.   They will have to tag either  Derrick Henry or Ryan Tannehill.   the other will be UFA. 

    Also, I am hearing some whining on TV about the NFL not pushing back the beginning of the league year.   

    They are saying:  "these teams can't have players ...Free agents....in for interviews or workouts"   I say:  so fucking what!  They can skype to do an interview.  They have seen these players play for years....they have all the tape on them.  If the team wants to have a medical performed....go have the player do a locall medical exam....It can do them some good.  Test the for Corona even. 

    I see absolutely no reason that these teams, and these players can't adjust.  Its not like these were set to be public gatherings.  The next one of those is the draft...and that is like 6 weeks away.

    Titans sign Tannehill. So now they can tag Henry

  • Additional changes: Old-New

    53-55 total players on roster

    10-14 total players on practice squads

    46-48 total players on gameday roster