Skip to content

Survey Sunday, The Ides of March

The Browns Board
13 6 249
  • Here is today's  Survey Question....Just one Question.    Today, infamously, is the Ides of March.   I say infamously because in case you did not know, this was the date of the assassination of Julius Caesar.  Stabbed in the back by Brutus, Cassius et al.    My question is:

    Who, in your opinion,  has stabbed  the Cleveland sports community in the back?    Multiple answers allowed.  (or..you can use any sports example you wish)

  • I'll let some amateur say Art Modell, and I'll go right to Carlos Boozer. That was a pretty shady move he pulled on the Cavs back in the day.

  • I'll let some amateur say Art Modell, and I'll go right to Carlos Boozer. That was a pretty shady move he pulled on the Cavs back in the day.

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'll let some amateur say Art Modell, and I'll go right to Carlos Boozer. That was a pretty shady move he pulled on the Cavs back in the day.

    Yep,  good one.   Modell is obvious. 

    I have remained pissed as hell at CC Sabathia,  who twice choked away a chance to put the Indians in the WS....but then, that was just an on field failure which I am sure he didn't want to have happen.   But the fact that he went to the Yankees and didn't choke on it for them is what irks me. 

    I could say the same for Jose Mesa...but, again, an on field failure that he certainly did not intend.   Still, it irks.

    Another is Albert Belle.  He left here at the height of his career for cash.   This was right at the beginning really of Free Agency for baseball players.  He went to the White Sox for more cash...which at the time pissed me off...but, of course, since then going to another team for more money is Standard Operating Procedure.   Maybe we should have been pissed at the ownership for not doing what they could to keep him....though, maybe, they were glad to see him go because he had become such a headcase. 

    Of course, we could probably say that every Browns GM since Ernie Accorsi has stabbed us in the back....but, again, nothing intentional there....stupidity, incompetence...but not purposeful  fuckyouness. 

  • fuck andre rison

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'll let some amateur say Art Modell, and I'll go right to Carlos Boozer. That was a pretty shady move he pulled on the Cavs back in the day.

    Yep,  good one.   Modell is obvious. 

    I have remained pissed as hell at CC Sabathia,  who twice choked away a chance to put the Indians in the WS....but then, that was just an on field failure which I am sure he didn't want to have happen.   But the fact that he went to the Yankees and didn't choke on it for them is what irks me. 

    I could say the same for Jose Mesa...but, again, an on field failure that he certainly did not intend.   Still, it irks.

    Another is Albert Belle.  He left here at the height of his career for cash.   This was right at the beginning really of Free Agency for baseball players.  He went to the White Sox for more cash...which at the time pissed me off...but, of course, since then going to another team for more money is Standard Operating Procedure.   Maybe we should have been pissed at the ownership for not doing what they could to keep him....though, maybe, they were glad to see him go because he had become such a headcase. 

    Of course, we could probably say that every Browns GM since Ernie Accorsi has stabbed us in the back....but, again, nothing intentional there....stupidity, incompetence...but not purposeful  fuckyouness. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Yep,  good one.   Modell is obvious. 

    I could say the same for Jose Mesa...but, again, an on field failure that he certainly did not intend.   Still, it irks.

    Mike Hargrove took out a 21 year old pitcher, throwing a two-hit shutout, because of a pitch count in game 7. The kid didn't have to pitch until March. 

    It was Hargrove's fault the Tribe lost in '97. I'm tired of fans blaming the players. 

    But yeah, hell with all that. There's no other answer than Art Modell.

  • We interrupt this program for a special announcement...

    1985: The first internet domain name is registered

    The first internet domain name, symbolics.com, was registered on the World Wide Web. It was registered to Symbolics Inc., a computer systems company in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The first domain name was Nordu.net, created in January 1985, but it was never registered.

    Cool thing is that symbolics.com is still active. It's now home to "The Big Internet Museum".

    We now return you to...

  • Color me totally confused. 

  • Ok to change gears how about the ownership and GMs of the 1960s and 1970s Cleveland Indians and their yearly dealings with the trading good players for cash and we tribe fans just waiting for next year every year. Remember those names?  (current ownership and management has been fine)

    Ownership

    Frank Lane1957–1961  Gabe Paul1961–1973   Phil Seghi1973–1985

    Joe Klein1985–1987Hank Peters1987–1991John Hart1991–2001Mark Shapiro2001–2010Chris Antonetti2010–2015Mike Chernoff2015–present

    GMs

    Frank Lane 1957–1961 <---- trader Lane ?
    Gabe Paul 1961–1973 <----. I remember stories about this guy! 
    Phil Seghi 1973–1985
    Joe Klein 1985–1987
    Hank Peters 1987–1991
    John Hart 1991–2001 <--- the big turnaround
    Mark Shapiro 2001–2010
    Chris Antonetti 2010–2015
    Mike Chernoff 2015–present
  • Color me totally confused. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Color me totally confused. 

    Our work is done...

  • Ok to change gears how about the ownership and GMs of the 1960s and 1970s Cleveland Indians and their yearly dealings with the trading good players for cash and we tribe fans just waiting for next year every year. Remember those names?  (current ownership and management has been fine)

    Ownership

    Frank Lane1957–1961  Gabe Paul1961–1973   Phil Seghi1973–1985

    Joe Klein1985–1987Hank Peters1987–1991John Hart1991–2001Mark Shapiro2001–2010Chris Antonetti2010–2015Mike Chernoff2015–present

    GMs

    Frank Lane 1957–1961 <---- trader Lane ?
    Gabe Paul 1961–1973 <----. I remember stories about this guy! 
    Phil Seghi 1973–1985
    Joe Klein 1985–1987
    Hank Peters 1987–1991
    John Hart 1991–2001 <--- the big turnaround
    Mark Shapiro 2001–2010
    Chris Antonetti 2010–2015
    Mike Chernoff 2015–present

    @mjp28 said:

    Ok to change gears how about the ownership and GMs of the 1960s and 1970s Cleveland Indians and their yearly dealings with the trading good players for cash and we tribe fans just waiting for next year every year. Remember those names?  (current ownership and management has been fine)

    Ownership

    Frank Lane1957–1961  Gabe Paul1961–1973   Phil Seghi1973–1985

    Joe Klein1985–1987Hank Peters1987–1991John Hart1991–2001Mark Shapiro2001–2010Chris Antonetti2010–2015Mike Chernoff2015–present

    GMs

    Frank Lane 1957–1961 <---- trader Lane ?
    Gabe Paul 1961–1973 <----. I remember stories about this guy! 
    Phil Seghi 1973–1985
    Joe Klein 1985–1987
    Hank Peters 1987–1991
    John Hart 1991–2001 <--- the big turnaround
    Mark Shapiro 2001–2010
    Chris Antonetti 2010–2015
    Mike Chernoff 2015–present

    I never thought that Gabe Paul was ever an Owner. 

    Vernon Stouffer was.   Didn't Nick Mileti have the Tribe for some time....or was he just Cavs owner.    I think you are listing GMs here, not owners. 

  • Owners[edit]

    250px-James_C._Dunn_%28baseball_owner%29
     
    Cleveland Indians owner Jim Dunn
    Name Years
    Charles W. Somers 1900–1916
    Jim Dunn 1916–1922
    Estate of Jim Dunn, Edith Dunn (surviving spouse) Executrix 1922–1927
    Alva Bradley 1927–1946
    Bill Veeck 1946–1949
    Ellis Ryan 1949–1952
    Myron H. Wilson 1953–1956
    William R. Daley 1956–1962
    Gabe Paul 1963–1966
    Vernon Stouffer 1967–1972
    Nick Mileti 1972–1976
    Alva "Ted" Bonda 1977–1978
    Francis J. "Steve" O'Neill 1978–1983
    Estate of F.J. "Steve" O'Neill 1983–1986
    Richard E. Jacobs 1986–2000
    Dolan Family (Larry, Paul, Matt) 2000–present

    I guess Gabe Paul was an owner....but, oddly, it seems that he continued on as GM for years after he was an owner. 

    From this, it seems that the Dolan family have owned the Tribe longer than anyone else now. 

  • We interrupt this program for a special announcement...

    1985: The first internet domain name is registered

    The first internet domain name, symbolics.com, was registered on the World Wide Web. It was registered to Symbolics Inc., a computer systems company in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The first domain name was Nordu.net, created in January 1985, but it was never registered.

    Cool thing is that symbolics.com is still active. It's now home to "The Big Internet Museum".

    We now return you to...

    @tour2ma said:

    We interrupt this program for a special announcement...

    Cool thing is that symbolics.com is still active. It's now home to "The Big Internet Museum".

    We now return you to...

    How did symbolics.com stab the Cleveland sports scene in the back? 

  • @mjp28 said:

    Ok to change gears how about the ownership and GMs of the 1960s and 1970s Cleveland Indians and their yearly dealings with the trading good players for cash and we tribe fans just waiting for next year every year. Remember those names?  (current ownership and management has been fine)

    Ownership

    Frank Lane1957–1961  Gabe Paul1961–1973   Phil Seghi1973–1985

    Joe Klein1985–1987Hank Peters1987–1991John Hart1991–2001Mark Shapiro2001–2010Chris Antonetti2010–2015Mike Chernoff2015–present

    GMs

    Frank Lane 1957–1961 <---- trader Lane ?
    Gabe Paul 1961–1973 <----. I remember stories about this guy! 
    Phil Seghi 1973–1985
    Joe Klein 1985–1987
    Hank Peters 1987–1991
    John Hart 1991–2001 <--- the big turnaround
    Mark Shapiro 2001–2010
    Chris Antonetti 2010–2015
    Mike Chernoff 2015–present

    I never thought that Gabe Paul was ever an Owner. 

    Vernon Stouffer was.   Didn't Nick Mileti have the Tribe for some time....or was he just Cavs owner.    I think you are listing GMs here, not owners. 

    @the-gipper said:

    I never thought that Gabe Paul was ever an Owner. 

    Vernon Stouffer was.   Didn't Nick Mileti have the Tribe for some time....or was he just Cavs owner.    I think you are listing GMs here, not owners. 

    Both partial lists of owners and GMs, many were owner/GMs for better or worse.... for the full lists see.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cleveland_Indians_owners_and_executives