Skip to content

Browns Sign OL and rework another

The Browns Board
34 16 1.1k 1
  • darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Browns have reworked Chris Hubbard's deal, he stays with a reworked deal giving us more cap space .....we have also signed C/OG Evan Brown once of the Giants

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Needed the depth there in the interior line.   I had contemplated taking an OG/C  person for the Brown's in our draft.  Now I won't need to likely. 

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Interesting.  I wonder if they plan to try and move Hubbard to RG?

    Or if he stays at RT and we're basically done with the tackle position.  (which I'm hoping isn't the case)

  • B Bigalow80 wrote on last edited by Bigalow80
    #4

    Hubbard is a quality depth piece. Not a starter but good enough for a few weeks in case of an injury. Well done.

  • Interesting.  I wonder if they plan to try and move Hubbard to RG?

    Or if he stays at RT and we're basically done with the tackle position.  (which I'm hoping isn't the case)

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @orion said:

    Interesting.  I wonder if they plan to try and move Hubbard to RG?

    Or if he stays at RT and we're basically done with the tackle position.  (which I'm hoping isn't the case)

    Isn’t ConklIn the new RT

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I don't think kicking Hubbard into guard magically makes him more viable of a player.

    Have to be able to win the leverage game to win inside.  That isn't something he excels much at. 

  • @orion said:

    Interesting.  I wonder if they plan to try and move Hubbard to RG?

    Or if he stays at RT and we're basically done with the tackle position.  (which I'm hoping isn't the case)

    Isn’t ConklIn the new RT

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @browns149 said:

    Isn’t ConklIn the new RT

    It really depends on what they do from here on. 

    In a perfect world, the Browns draft a LT, Conklin stays at RT, and Hubbard becomes the backup OT.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Do you really think a rookie will be a stud in the first year?

  • Do you really think a rookie will be a stud in the first year?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @lbc-mike said:

    Do you really think a rookie will be a stud in the first year?

    I honestly don't see another plan.....unless the Browns sign  Peters, or trade for Williams,    which I am not feeling at this point. 

  • @orion said:

    Interesting.  I wonder if they plan to try and move Hubbard to RG?

    Or if he stays at RT and we're basically done with the tackle position.  (which I'm hoping isn't the case)

    Isn’t ConklIn the new RT

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @browns149 said:

    Isn’t ConklIn the new RT

    Ask Tour  🙂

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #11

    https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/3/26/21195639/chris-hubbard-staying-with-browns-via-new-contract-what-are-the-teams-plans-for-him

    An article with some of the details. It’s a significant pay cut for Hubbard. Kind of a classy move on his part, likely spawned out of necessity, sure. I’m hard pressed to think of a player who reworked his deal so significantly to stay with their team.

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #12

    Hubbard was on with Bull & Fox one time.  He's a heck of a nice guy.  FWIW      -  I'll pull for nice guys...now that he renegotiated out of that salary that would've got him cut.  🙂    Perhaps Callahan can make something out of him.of 

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #13

    Keeping Hubbard is a great move.  He had some bad games no doubt about it.  But Baker and the play caller let us down more often than anything last year.

    On to the draft These tackle prospects have solid potential at the next level I wouldn’t call any of them all pro level talent at any point.  We are talking about putting one of them at left tackle in their first year too.  

    Let’s hope!!! I guess.  

  • Do you really think a rookie will be a stud in the first year?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #14

    @lbc-mike said:

    Do you really think a rookie will be a stud in the first year?

    The right rookie?

    Absolutely...

  • @browns149 said:

    Isn’t ConklIn the new RT

    Ask Tour  🙂

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @orion said:

    Ask Tour  🙂

    Where is that damn gif....

  • I don't think kicking Hubbard into guard magically makes him more viable of a player.

    Have to be able to win the leverage game to win inside.  That isn't something he excels much at. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #16

    @tiamat63 said:

    Have to be able to win the leverage game to win inside.  That isn't something he excels much at. 

    Less true in a ZBS, but then Hubbard doesn't move all that well either.

  • https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/3/26/21195639/chris-hubbard-staying-with-browns-via-new-contract-what-are-the-teams-plans-for-him

    An article with some of the details. It’s a significant pay cut for Hubbard. Kind of a classy move on his part, likely spawned out of necessity, sure. I’m hard pressed to think of a player who reworked his deal so significantly to stay with their team.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @ibleedbrown said:

    https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/3/26/21195639/chris-hubbard-staying-with-browns-via-new-contract-what-are-the-teams-plans-for-him

    An article with some of the details. It’s a significant pay cut for Hubbard. Kind of a classy move on his part, likely spawned out of necessity, sure. I’m hard pressed to think of a player who reworked his deal so significantly to stay with their team.

    Maybe he and his agent are smart.  Very possibly the re-worked deal is better than what he could possibly get as a FA.

  • Interesting.  I wonder if they plan to try and move Hubbard to RG?

    Or if he stays at RT and we're basically done with the tackle position.  (which I'm hoping isn't the case)

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #18

    @orion said:

    Interesting.  I wonder if they plan to try and move Hubbard to RG?

    Or if he stays at RT and we're basically done with the tackle position.  (which I'm hoping isn't the case)

    Don't forget we signed FA Jack Conklin to start at RT for the next few years here (edit: looks like Browns149 said this before me).  That would make Hubbard a backup/fill-in starter like he was in Pittsburgh (back when they were a good offensive team).  Clint Eastwood once said "A man's got to know his limitations" and Hubbard's new reduced contract reflects this.  This isn't a bad backup to have IMO especially with his willingness/desire to stay here. The last 2 knuckleheads we had starting at LT will probably be competing against each other for the Mean Machine's starting LT job against the Prison Guards.  Their new GM John Dorsey was unavailable for comment; but rumor has it one of his go-fors is trying to get Kareem Hunt to hang with Pac Man Jones for a weekend. Head Coach and Former Altar Boy with Tourette's Syndrome (Andrew Dice Clay) is in love with the idea.  Stay Tuned???

    As far as RG goes, I thought we saw a drastic improvement when Wyatt Teller took over the starting job last year.  Having said that, drastic improvement still included some chemistry/continuity glitches as well as learning experiences. Sometimes he overextends when his feet come to close together underneath in the running game, which makes it easier for the DT to toss him aside.  That should improve with film and experience - very easy teaching points for Callahan.  

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #19

    Am starting to warm up to this Andrew Berry guy.. never thought of it.. fair offer from both sides..Makes Hubbard earn his playable, tradeable or cutable...Evan Brown is a high spars score addition.With Kush gone, we needed a back-up Center.. LT & RG will have lots of eyes on them

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Have to be able to win the leverage game to win inside.  That isn't something he excels much at. 

    Less true in a ZBS, but then Hubbard doesn't move all that well either.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @tour2ma said:

    Less true in a ZBS, but then Hubbard doesn't move all that well either.

    Less true, but not completely incorrect.  Agreed on his feet though.  Can't imagine the liability he would be as a full time starter should Stef have a game plan calling for a good deal of OZ.