Left Tackle - Flugel Faves and Hopefuls
-
This guy...
NFL Draft 2020: Andrew Thomas raves about Browns meeting, says it would be 'honor' to block for Baker Mayfield
The former Georgia offensive tackle has also had meetings with the Dolphins and Giants
-
- by Bryan DeArdo
- @BryanDeArdo
- 4 hrs ago • 1 min read
Andrew Thomas has fielded several virtual interviews leading up to the 2020 NFL draft that includes meetings with the Browns, Dolphins and Giants along with other teams that own one of the top 10 picks in the draft.
When asked about his meeting with the Browns, Thomas, the standout offensive tackle out of Georgia, said that he had a "very smooth" conversation with Cleveland general manager Andrew Berry.
"Andrew said I had a lot of the intangibles that they're looking to add to their team, good character," Thomas said, via Mary Cay Kabot of Cleveland.com. "They feel that translates to playing on the field, so I feel that's something I have."
Thomas said that Berry also values his athleticism after playing in Georgia's wide zone scheme, a scheme that helped fellow draft prospect D'Andre Swift amass 6,436 all-purpose yards in three years with the Bulldogs. The 6-foot-5, 315-pound Thomas is also versatile after spending time at both tackle positions during his time at Georgia. In Cleveland, he would play left tackle (where he started during his final two years with the Bulldogs) after the Browns signed Jack Conklin to be their right tackle earlier this offseason.
"I played three years in the SEC at both right tackle and left tackle," said Thomas, the third best lineman in the draft according to CBS Sports prospect rankings. "I dominated every year and I feel like I'm the best tackle in this class."
Thomas said that it would be "an honor" to block for Baker Mayfield, the 2017 Heisman Trophy winner whose Oklahoma Sooners lost to Thomas' Bulldogs in that year's Rose Bowl. Thomas, who also said that he would embrace the challenge of following in Joe Thomas' footsteps if he is drafted by the Browns, would also be excited about joining a Cleveland offense that also includes running backs Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt, receivers Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr. and tight end Austin Hooper.
"The Browns are a team on the rise," Thomas said. "They have all the pieces they need and it's just a matter of time before they put it all together and compete for a Super Bowl."
Thomas may very well get his wish. CBS NFL draft analysts Ryan Wilson and Chris Trapasso both have him going to the Browns with the 10th overall pick in their most recent mock drafts.
-
-
Great...but no guarantee he will be there at 10. And I don't know if trading up is in the cards.
-
nope, I don't see trading up. But if Thomas could just fall to the Browns, THAT would be OUTSTANDING !
-
Great...but no guarantee he will be there at 10. And I don't know if trading up is in the cards.
Great...but no guarantee he will be there at 10. And I don't know if trading up is in the cards.

-
Great...but no guarantee he will be there at 10. And I don't know if trading up is in the cards.

-
If you don't think that Andrew Berry would be beyond trading up for something he really wants...it is YOU who are missing the obvious...about that guy. Don't think it will happen, but with Berry...I would not put it past him.
And that Ladies and Gentlemen is the art of taking both sides of an argument so you are never wrong...
Point was, Gip that you said absolutely nothing in the Capt. Obvious inducing post and then followed it up with another.
Care to go for three in a row?
-
If you don't think that Andrew Berry would be beyond trading up for something he really wants...it is YOU who are missing the obvious...about that guy. Don't think it will happen, but with Berry...I would not put it past him.
And that Ladies and Gentlemen is the art of taking both sides of an argument so you are never wrong...
Point was, Gip that you said absolutely nothing in the Capt. Obvious inducing post and then followed it up with another.
Care to go for three in a row?
And that Ladies and Gentlemen is the art of taking both sides of an argument so you are never wrong...
Point was, Gip that you said absolutely nothing in the Capt. Obvious inducing post and then followed it up with another.
Care to go for three in a row?
Is your head really shaped like a triangle....since that pin at the top is so very sharp.
I will explain it to you like you are a 4 year old...which, mentally, is about right.:
Both statements are perfectly accurate: I doubt that the Browns will trade up....because they do not have the ammunition I believe to afford to be able to move up....but....despite his demeanor and background, and apparent conservative nature....I would not necessarily put it past Andrew Berry to be a bit of a gambler and take that risk.
You know, they have this place called Las Vegas, where they do a lot of gambling...including on sports. They have these things called "Odds"....and for this proposition they would set odds. On this I suspect that the odds would be like 9-1 against the Browns making a trade....but there is always that one out of 10 chance. So....the explanation for your 4 year old intellect is: while it is unlikely...there is still that 1 in 10 chance of it happening, so you cannot "put it past" it happening.
-
-
I'll take that as a "yes".
Yes....to the question: are you using a knowledge and understanding of history here? As a predictability factor: If the 2007 NY Giants played the 2007 New England Patriots 10 times, the Pats likely win 9 of those games..... But "don't put it past the Giants to pull it out" And lo and behold when the actual game occurred...that crapshoot rolled a 7.
Doesn't one of your "draft sims" ever simulate the possibility of trades happening? If so, probably in 9 out of 10, they simulate no trade action by the Browns......but....there may be that one time where.....lo and behold, you wouldn't put it past it to see the Browns make a trade.
-
-
I love lamp.
-
And that Ladies and Gentlemen is the art of taking both sides of an argument so you are never wrong...
Point was, Gip that you said absolutely nothing in the Capt. Obvious inducing post and then followed it up with another.
Care to go for three in a row?
Is your head really shaped like a triangle....since that pin at the top is so very sharp.
I will explain it to you like you are a 4 year old...which, mentally, is about right.:
Both statements are perfectly accurate: I doubt that the Browns will trade up....because they do not have the ammunition I believe to afford to be able to move up....but....despite his demeanor and background, and apparent conservative nature....I would not necessarily put it past Andrew Berry to be a bit of a gambler and take that risk.
You know, they have this place called Las Vegas, where they do a lot of gambling...including on sports. They have these things called "Odds"....and for this proposition they would set odds. On this I suspect that the odds would be like 9-1 against the Browns making a trade....but there is always that one out of 10 chance. So....the explanation for your 4 year old intellect is: while it is unlikely...there is still that 1 in 10 chance of it happening, so you cannot "put it past" it happening.
Is your head really shaped like a triangle....since that pin at the top is so very sharp.
I will explain it to you like you are a 4 year old...which, mentally, is about right.:
Are you saying you haven't started acting like a 4 year old yet?
-
Is your head really shaped like a triangle....since that pin at the top is so very sharp.
I will explain it to you like you are a 4 year old...which, mentally, is about right.:
Are you saying you haven't started acting like a 4 year old yet?
-
Yes I am saying that I’m acting like an adult contrarily
Let me know when you have finally convinced yourself of that.
The stuff I cut and pasted from you on my previous reply slam dunks otherwise. More specifically, you're not arguing with me - you're arguing with yourself.
-
Yes I am saying that I’m acting like an adult contrarily
Let me know when you have finally convinced yourself of that.
The stuff I cut and pasted from you on my previous reply slam dunks otherwise. More specifically, you're not arguing with me - you're arguing with yourself.
Let me know when you have finally convinced yourself of that.
I just did.
The stuff I cut and pasted from you on my previous reply slam dunks otherwise. (let us know when you have deluded yourself of that) More specifically, you're not arguing with me - you're arguing with yourself.
If you didn't want to engage in an argument with me....why then did you bother to make this post that was argumentative? Hello!
-
-
Blew thru 5 and 6... albeit with a little goose from Flugs (well done, sir)... working on 7.
-
Back to the thread....which can be summarized in two sentences: Which Left Tackle should we all want the Browns to draft?
The one that the Browns scouting department thinks is best that is available when their turn comes.
-
Back to the thread....which can be summarized in two sentences: Which Left Tackle should we all want the Browns to draft?
The one that the Browns scouting department thinks is best that is available when their turn comes.
Back to the thread....which can be summarized in two sentences: Which Left Tackle should we all want the Browns to draft?
The one that the Browns scouting department thinks is best that is available when their turn comes.
We are all making too many assumptions that our scouting department likes all of the top 5 tackle prospects: Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Becton, Jones (consensus top 5). I see these mock drafts from experts with comments like the Browns take the 3rd or 4th best available tackle.
We may only want Thomas or Jones and pass on the other three if available at 10. I would not be surprised if we like 2/3 of the above and if they aren’t available we pass on the others and take Best Available of the defensive side of the ball.
The Backup plan could be I guy we’ve identified later in the draft or Trent Williams. There is some nice depth at the tackle spot in this draft- Steele from TTU.
the other plausible solution is to trade up for the guy they want. I don’t see any of these tackles as “elite” but who knows.
I like Jones from UH and Thomas from UGA in that order. I’m not crazy about Austin Jackson. Becton and Wirfs seem like awkward fits.
-
Andrew Thomas is the starter choice of the choices at left tackle, I think.
The season before, Jones was really raw compared - but improved dramatically last season.
They both love the game, are quick and very strong, excellent character, play with a mean streak...and are very, very SMART.
My impression is, Jones needs a good bit? more coaching up, Thomas not as much. We need a starter. Either of these two would be a great thing in fixing our offensive LT position.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login