Skip to content

Survey Monday March 30

The Browns Board
30 8 404
  • @the-gipper said:

    If either the 1954 Indians, or the 1995 Indians had won the World Series,  they would have been candidates for the greatest team of all time.

    They coulda been there with the '27 Yankees especially the '95 Indians with their murderers' row and all they needed was a true #1 starter and they could have been a dynasty.

    @mjp28 said:

    They coulda been there with the '27 Yankees especially the '95 Indians with their murderers' row and all they needed was a true #1 starter and they could have been a dynasty.

    The 95 Indians lost to the best 3 man playoff rotations in Baseball history Maddox Glavine Smoltz. And it took an Ump crew calling strikes on baseballs 8-10 inches off the outside corner to take that offense down.  The offense could handle the load except for some crooked baseball.  

  • @mjp28 said:

    They coulda been there with the '27 Yankees especially the '95 Indians with their murderers' row and all they needed was a true #1 starter and they could have been a dynasty.

    The 95 Indians lost to the best 3 man playoff rotations in Baseball history Maddox Glavine Smoltz. And it took an Ump crew calling strikes on baseballs 8-10 inches off the outside corner to take that offense down.  The offense could handle the load except for some crooked baseball.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The 95 Indians lost to the best 3 man playoff rotations in Baseball history Maddox Glavine Smoltz. And it took an Ump crew calling strikes on baseballs 8-10 inches off the outside corner to take that offense down.  The offense could handle the load except for some crooked baseball.  

    Was it that bad?  I know the Braves pitching staff was really good....but that was the only WS they won.  I think they lost a couple to the Yankees.  Are you saying the umps did not give those pitches against the Yangees that they did against the Tribe?  

    Interesting. 

  • @mjp28 said:

    They coulda been there with the '27 Yankees especially the '95 Indians with their murderers' row and all they needed was a true #1 starter and they could have been a dynasty.

    The 95 Indians lost to the best 3 man playoff rotations in Baseball history Maddox Glavine Smoltz. And it took an Ump crew calling strikes on baseballs 8-10 inches off the outside corner to take that offense down.  The offense could handle the load except for some crooked baseball.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The 95 Indians lost to the best 3 man playoff rotations in Baseball history Maddox Glavine Smoltz. And it took an Ump crew calling strikes on baseballs 8-10 inches off the outside corner to take that offense down.  The offense could handle the load except for some crooked baseball.  

    It's hard to lose the first game in any playoff scenario and still advance but they did it in 95 & 97 .......oh so close !

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    The 95 Indians lost to the best 3 man playoff rotations in Baseball history Maddox Glavine Smoltz. And it took an Ump crew calling strikes on baseballs 8-10 inches off the outside corner to take that offense down.  The offense could handle the load except for some crooked baseball.  

    It's hard to lose the first game in any playoff scenario and still advance but they did it in 95 & 97 .......oh so close !

    @mjp28 said:

    It's hard to lose the first game in any playoff scenario and still advance but they did it in 95 & 97 .......oh so close !

    What is more fucked up is being up  3 games to one....on at least 2 occasions, and then choking the series away.   Can you say Red Sox and Cubs. 

  • @mjp28 said:

    It's hard to lose the first game in any playoff scenario and still advance but they did it in 95 & 97 .......oh so close !

    What is more fucked up is being up  3 games to one....on at least 2 occasions, and then choking the series away.   Can you say Red Sox and Cubs. 

    @the-gipper said:

    What is more fucked up is being up  3 games to one....on at least 2 occasions, and then choking the series away.   Can you say Red Sox and Cubs. 

    Regarding the 2016 World Series, the Indians had pretty much two healthy starting pitchers. They didn't choke the WS away, as much as they ran out of gas. It would have been practically a 1980 Miracle On Ice World Series win if the Tribe could have won it all. That's how banged up their starting rotation was going into the playoffs. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    What is more fucked up is being up  3 games to one....on at least 2 occasions, and then choking the series away.   Can you say Red Sox and Cubs. 

    Regarding the 2016 World Series, the Indians had pretty much two healthy starting pitchers. They didn't choke the WS away, as much as they ran out of gas. It would have been practically a 1980 Miracle On Ice World Series win if the Tribe could have won it all. That's how banged up their starting rotation was going into the playoffs. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Regarding the 2016 World Series, the Indians had pretty much two healthy starting pitchers. They didn't choke the WS away, as much as they ran out of gas. It would have been practically a 1980 Miracle On Ice World Series win if the Tribe could have won it all. That's how banged up their starting rotation was going into the playoffs. 

    3-1.....regardless, they should have never blown that lead. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Regarding the 2016 World Series, the Indians had pretty much two healthy starting pitchers. They didn't choke the WS away, as much as they ran out of gas. It would have been practically a 1980 Miracle On Ice World Series win if the Tribe could have won it all. That's how banged up their starting rotation was going into the playoffs. 

    3-1.....regardless, they should have never blown that lead. 

    @the-gipper said:

    3-1.....regardless, they should have never blown that lead. 

    Go ahead and think that, you've been wrong before, you'll be wrong a couple times more before this hour is up. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    3-1.....regardless, they should have never blown that lead. 

    Go ahead and think that, you've been wrong before, you'll be wrong a couple times more before this hour is up. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Go ahead and think that, you've been wrong before, you'll be wrong a couple times more before this hour is up. 

    I can't be wrong about an opinion.  In my opinion they should have found a way to win one of the last 3 games in that series....even if their pitching rotation was banged up.   It was good enough to get them to that 3-1 lead, it should have been good enough to bring them home. They could/should have relied more on their bullpen then.    And if the pitching struggled, then the hitting should have carried them to a win in one of those games. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Go ahead and think that, you've been wrong before, you'll be wrong a couple times more before this hour is up. 

    I can't be wrong about an opinion.  In my opinion they should have found a way to win one of the last 3 games in that series....even if their pitching rotation was banged up.   It was good enough to get them to that 3-1 lead, it should have been good enough to bring them home. They could/should have relied more on their bullpen then.    And if the pitching struggled, then the hitting should have carried them to a win in one of those games. 

    @the-gipper said:

    I can't be wrong about an opinion.  In my opinion they should have found a way to win one of the last 3 games in that series....even if their pitching rotation was banged up.   It was good enough to get them to that 3-1 lead, it should have been good enough to bring them home. They could/should have relied more on their bullpen then.    And if the pitching struggled, then the hitting should have carried them to a win in one of those games. 

    Yes, you can be wrong about your opinion.

    You do it on here every day. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    I can't be wrong about an opinion.  In my opinion they should have found a way to win one of the last 3 games in that series....even if their pitching rotation was banged up.   It was good enough to get them to that 3-1 lead, it should have been good enough to bring them home. They could/should have relied more on their bullpen then.    And if the pitching struggled, then the hitting should have carried them to a win in one of those games. 

    Yes, you can be wrong about your opinion.

    You do it on here every day. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yes, you can be wrong about your opinion.

    You do it on here every day. 

    And you were just as wrong as I am more so

  • 1.  What offseason move that the Browns have made so far  do you think  is or will prove to  be the best move?   Hooper ........ he will feast in Stefanski's system

    2. What offseason move by any team not the Browns do you think is or will prove to be the best move?   Cardinals scorching the Texans for Hopkins

    3. Who do you think are the Top 5 Quarterbacks in the league....right now?   Mahomes, Rogers, Brady, Brees, Wilson closely followed by Matt Ryan ..... Jackson has to prove it for more than a year

    4. Yahoo is asking this question, so I will ask it of all of you:     Who do you think the very best team in the history of each of the major sports ever was?  0-16 Cleveland Browns ........no other team could of done it as good ...... other sports listed I dont follow

    NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Yes, you can be wrong about your opinion.

    You do it on here every day. 

    And you were just as wrong as I am more so

    @the-gipper said:

    And you were just as wrong as I am more so

    And that is your opinion And that is your opinion 

  • @the-gipper said:

    And you were just as wrong as I am more so

    And that is your opinion And that is your opinion 

    @dutch-oven said:

    And that is your opinion And that is your opinion 

    This is a survey thread....we could ask that question:

    Should the Indians have  found a way to win the 2016 World Series after being ahead by 3 games to 1?   Or, would it have been  a "miracle" for them to pull it out because their pitchers were "banged up"? 

  • 1.  What offseason move that the Browns have made so far  do you think  is or will prove to  be the best move?

    Case Keenum... his ability to mentor and  push Baker gives our wayward QB the challenge he needs.

    2. What offseason move by any team not the Browns do you think is or will prove to be the best move?

    AZ stealing Hopkins from HOU.

    3. Who do you think are the Top 5 Quarterbacks in the league....right now?

    1. Mahommes (KC) 2. Jackson (BLT) 3. Wilson (SEA) 4. Brees (NO) 5. Prescott (DAL)

    4. Yahoo is asking this question, so I will ask it of all of you:     Who do you think the very best team in the history of each of the major sports ever was? 

    • NFL - the '85 Bears
    • MLB - the '48 Indians...still hold the "modern era" win percentage record... 111 wins in 154 games.
    • NBA - the 73-win, 2016 Golden State Warriors
    • NHL - pure head over heart here, but my '74-'75 Broad St. Bullies are my choice. Peak of their powers. Won their 2nd consecutive Cup. Went on in early '76 to be the only team to beat the Big Red Soviet Machine in the Super Series.

    5. With everything being closed, the fear is that a lot of businesses will go under, including restaurants.    The question is:   Which restaurant chain(s) that is now Defunct do you miss the most.   (making this a chain...not an individual restaurant, so that everyone can relate)

    I don't do many chains, but I miss Godfather's Pizza. Generous toppings to say the least. Still are a couple around somewhere I hear, but the chain generally folded when Domino's and its home delivery came on the scene.

    I am compelled to mention one individual restaurant... Gavi's in Willoughby Hills, IIRC. Great looking restaurant in a converted power plant building. Great food from kitchen headed by Italian Chef recruited from Gavi, Italy. Osso Buco to die for with on some visits a farm-raised venison shank substituted for the traditional veal.

    Owned by Mary and Dave Gromelski...I shit you not. It was my favorite Italian restaurant on this side of the Atlantic. Last I knew the restaurant was closed, but a catering service was available. I told Mary once that, "I am going to go to Gavi." Yeah, right was the gist of her reply. I did. Rented a car in Genoa on a Monday and drove about an hour north to find it. Had my daughter take a pic of me under the "Gavi" sign entering town.

    Beautiful town overlooked by the Fortresse de Gavi high in the hills. Only one problem... essentially the entire town is closed on Mondays.

  • Could  a team that did not win the title be considered the greatest of all time? 

    Tour,  has  the  '54 (it was '54, not '48 that won the 111 games)  Indians and the 2016 Warriors  as the best in those sports...but they lost the titles. 

    I had given those some thought, but I passed just for that reason, they didn't win the title.  Likewise I considered the 2007 16-0 Patriots, but they too  lost.   I also think there was a year where the Seattle Mariners won a huge number of games, but did not make it to the WS. 

    For baseball, I considered:  those '54 Indians plus the  '95 Indians...but, again, both losing left them out.  Those 1998 Yankees.  A Pirates team from very early years....but I landed on the good old standby....the '27 Yankees.    

    For Football,  I considered  those Pats...who lost.  The 1972 Dolphins of course.  The 1948 Browns...why not, they were undefeated, untied.  I think in like 1989 the 49ers went  15-1 and won the SB big time.   But the Bears just stick in the mind as the most dominant team I have ever seen.

    For basketball....I thought more about the Warriors with Durant, rather than the year they won the most games but lost to the Cavs.  (maybe we should rank that Cavs team as the best ever?  They beat the team that set the all time wins record).   The Malone/Irving 76ers.   One of the Bulls teams.  Any number of Celtics teams.    But I came down on the side of the  '72  Lakers  with Wilt/West etc.  They set the record at the time.....plus, they had that  33 game win streak...by far the longest in NBA history. 

    For hockey.  I am just not as familiar with the game and its history as I am with the other 3 sports.  I know that with 24 Stanley Cup wins the Montreal Canadiennes have to have had some great teams.    In fact, in researching,  the Tampa team from last year,  2018/19 and the Detroit RedWings from 95/96  both won 62 games for most wins in a season...but they both did not win the title. Like those 2007 Pats.    The 1976/77 Montreal team  cited by Bob above won the most games in a season in which they also won the title.    So they clearly have to be considered.  But I would still go with the  Gretsky team. 

  • Was the '54... I did have it right yesterday... was the post I was doing when the lights went out.

    A title is an interesting proviso... and in 50's baseball it might be applicable due to the complete absence of inter-league play in that era, but basketball not so much.

    Add the argument that greatness in the long haul can be undone in a short-term series. IIRC GS had injury/suspension issues in the Finals after going up 3-1 in the series. I think this allows that Warriors team to stand out.

    Hockey is a pure "homer" pick for me... the Broadstreet Bullies under the rules of their hey-day would have broken Gretsky in half... or as Little Big Man would have said, there'd be nothing left of him but a greasy little spot.

    Mark Messier on the other hand would have been a problem... one of the strongest NHL players ever. If he's 2nd strongest, it'd only be next to Jaromir Jagr... of course since I stopped watching the sport in the 90's someone else may have come along.

  • Was the '54... I did have it right yesterday... was the post I was doing when the lights went out.

    A title is an interesting proviso... and in 50's baseball it might be applicable due to the complete absence of inter-league play in that era, but basketball not so much.

    Add the argument that greatness in the long haul can be undone in a short-term series. IIRC GS had injury/suspension issues in the Finals after going up 3-1 in the series. I think this allows that Warriors team to stand out.

    Hockey is a pure "homer" pick for me... the Broadstreet Bullies under the rules of their hey-day would have broken Gretsky in half... or as Little Big Man would have said, there'd be nothing left of him but a greasy little spot.

    Mark Messier on the other hand would have been a problem... one of the strongest NHL players ever. If he's 2nd strongest, it'd only be next to Jaromir Jagr... of course since I stopped watching the sport in the 90's someone else may have come along.

    @tour2ma said:

    Was the '54... I did have it right yesterday... was the post I was doing when the lights went out.

    A title is an interesting proviso... and in 50's baseball it might be applicable due to the complete absence of inter-league play in that era, but basketball not so much.

    Add the argument that greatness in the long haul can be undone in a short-term series. IIRC GS had injury/suspension issues in the Finals after going up 3-1 in the series. I think this allows that Warriors team to stand out.

    Hockey is a pure "homer" pick for me... the Broadstreet Bullies under the rules of their hey-day would have broken Gretsky in half... or as Little Big Man would have said, there'd be nothing left of him but a greasy little spot.

    Mark Messier on the other hand would have been a problem... one of the strongest NHL players ever. If he's 2nd strongest, it'd only be next to Jaromir Jagr... of course since I stopped watching the sport in the 90's someone else may have come along.

    I still think the Cavs were the better team....the first two years they met.  Remember,  Cavs were without Kyrie and Love that first year and still went 6 games.  And while the Warriors may have won all those games....I still think Cavs were the better team.  But, once GS got Durant....that was it.