Skip to content

Kevin Stefanski's Number One Play: Outside Zone

The Browns Board
29 11 564 1
  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    A couple things...Nick Chubb is going to set records next year.  Ideal fit for him with the patient run style he employs.

    And It ain’t a secret I don’t like NJoku.  I think we trade him and bring in a better Run blocking complement with this scheme.  We have Hooper as a red zone target and general pass threat target.  

  • A couple things...Nick Chubb is going to set records next year.  Ideal fit for him with the patient run style he employs.

    And It ain’t a secret I don’t like NJoku.  I think we trade him and bring in a better Run blocking complement with this scheme.  We have Hooper as a red zone target and general pass threat target.  

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by Canton Mike
    #4

    @sdbacker80 said:

    A couple things...Nick Chubb is going to set records next year.  Ideal fit for him with the patient run style he employs.

    And It ain’t a secret I don’t like NJoku.  I think we trade him and bring in a better Run blocking complement with this scheme.  We have Hooper as a red zone target and general pass threat target.  

    I don't like Njoku either, but with Stefanski running a lot of 2 tight ends, we may be stuck with him. Who knows what may happen, but if we trade him, I won't complain.

    He may be a physical specimen, but it remains to be seen if & when he learns to block, run patterns, & hold onto the damn ball.

    BTW, it's scary what Chubb will do in this ZBS.

    Mike

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Holy over-explaining, Batman...

    10 to 1 Cook got a little coaching in the RB room for not being a tad more patient and cutting off his LG's ass...

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    A couple things...Nick Chubb is going to set records next year.  Ideal fit for him with the patient run style he employs.

    And It ain’t a secret I don’t like NJoku.  I think we trade him and bring in a better Run blocking complement with this scheme.  We have Hooper as a red zone target and general pass threat target.  

    I don't like Njoku either, but with Stefanski running a lot of 2 tight ends, we may be stuck with him. Who knows what may happen, but if we trade him, I won't complain.

    He may be a physical specimen, but it remains to be seen if & when he learns to block, run patterns, & hold onto the damn ball.

    BTW, it's scary what Chubb will do in this ZBS.

    Mike

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @canton-mike said:

    I don't like Njoku either, but with Stefanski running a lot of 2 tight ends, we may be stuck with him. Who knows what may happen, but if we trade him, I won't complain.

    He may be a physical specimen, but it remains to be seen if & when he learns to block, run patterns, & hold onto the damn ball.

    BTW, it's scary what Chubb will do in this ZBS.

    Mike

    Well,  also be aware that TE Ricky Seal-Jones was a FA that signed elsewhere.   So, with this  two TE set, unless you think the Browns would go for a TE high in the draft.....which we have no business doing....Njoku stays.   Pharoh Brown backs up.   Njoku, who is still young----ONLY 23,  is a likely better "prospect" than any TE that can be had in this draft. 

  • Holy over-explaining, Batman...

    10 to 1 Cook got a little coaching in the RB room for not being a tad more patient and cutting off his LG's ass...

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @tour2ma said:

    Holy over-explaining, Batman...

    10 to 1 Cook got a little coaching in the RB room for not being a tad more patient and cutting off his LG's ass...

    Yeah he clearly missed that spot.  Chubb would have found that made contact with someone 10/12 yards down the field and fallen forward for another 3 or 4. 

  • @canton-mike said:

    I don't like Njoku either, but with Stefanski running a lot of 2 tight ends, we may be stuck with him. Who knows what may happen, but if we trade him, I won't complain.

    He may be a physical specimen, but it remains to be seen if & when he learns to block, run patterns, & hold onto the damn ball.

    BTW, it's scary what Chubb will do in this ZBS.

    Mike

    Well,  also be aware that TE Ricky Seal-Jones was a FA that signed elsewhere.   So, with this  two TE set, unless you think the Browns would go for a TE high in the draft.....which we have no business doing....Njoku stays.   Pharoh Brown backs up.   Njoku, who is still young----ONLY 23,  is a likely better "prospect" than any TE that can be had in this draft. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #8

    @the-gipper said:

    Well,  also be aware that TE Ricky Seal-Jones was a FA that signed elsewhere.   So, with this  two TE set, unless you think the Browns would go for a TE high in the draft.....which we have no business doing....Njoku stays.   Pharoh Brown backs up.   Njoku, who is still young----ONLY 23,  is a likely better "prospect" than any TE that can be had in this draft. 

    First, Seals has a redundant skill set with Hooper.  He left but is hereally a guy we need at this point? He’s a luxury. 

    i think there is better value in the draft with a TE that has shown he can block effectively especially in this new scheme.  We may find a day three guy that can block better and has a better football IQ than Njoku.  I think there are quite a few guys out there that can.  I think that’s the biggest problem with Njoku he flashes a remarkable catch in the red zone and than appears to have brain farts throughout the rest of the game.  I think he would be good for a hold or two a game in this ZBS. 
     

    When Njoku figures it all out he will be on his second contract with another team.  We can still get something for him now 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well,  also be aware that TE Ricky Seal-Jones was a FA that signed elsewhere.   So, with this  two TE set, unless you think the Browns would go for a TE high in the draft.....which we have no business doing....Njoku stays.   Pharoh Brown backs up.   Njoku, who is still young----ONLY 23,  is a likely better "prospect" than any TE that can be had in this draft. 

    First, Seals has a redundant skill set with Hooper.  He left but is hereally a guy we need at this point? He’s a luxury. 

    i think there is better value in the draft with a TE that has shown he can block effectively especially in this new scheme.  We may find a day three guy that can block better and has a better football IQ than Njoku.  I think there are quite a few guys out there that can.  I think that’s the biggest problem with Njoku he flashes a remarkable catch in the red zone and than appears to have brain farts throughout the rest of the game.  I think he would be good for a hold or two a game in this ZBS. 
     

    When Njoku figures it all out he will be on his second contract with another team.  We can still get something for him now 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @sdbacker80 said:

    First, Seals has a redundant skill set with Hooper.  He left but is a really a guy we need at this point? He’s a luxury. 

    i think there is better value in the draft with a TE that has shown he can block effectively especially in this new scheme.  We may find a day three guy that can block better and has a better football IQ than Njoku.  I think there are quite a few guys out there that can.  I think that’s the biggest problem with Njoku he flashes a remarkable catch in the red zone and than appears to have brain farts throughout the rest of the game.  I think he would be good for a hold or two a game in this ZBS. 
     

    When Njoku figures it all out he will be on his second contract with another team.  We can still get something for him now 

    Well....I don't think that  Njoku would ever be slated as the "blocking TE"....but why should he be?  His skills are going to be at catching the ball and running with it.   Which he CAN do.....though inconsistently at this point, sure. 

    I am going to assume that Hooper will be more the blocker  (unless you think one of the backups would do that).  He is thicker, probably slower,  while stil being a real "hands" guy. A possession guy. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    First, Seals has a redundant skill set with Hooper.  He left but is a really a guy we need at this point? He’s a luxury. 

    i think there is better value in the draft with a TE that has shown he can block effectively especially in this new scheme.  We may find a day three guy that can block better and has a better football IQ than Njoku.  I think there are quite a few guys out there that can.  I think that’s the biggest problem with Njoku he flashes a remarkable catch in the red zone and than appears to have brain farts throughout the rest of the game.  I think he would be good for a hold or two a game in this ZBS. 
     

    When Njoku figures it all out he will be on his second contract with another team.  We can still get something for him now 

    Well....I don't think that  Njoku would ever be slated as the "blocking TE"....but why should he be?  His skills are going to be at catching the ball and running with it.   Which he CAN do.....though inconsistently at this point, sure. 

    I am going to assume that Hooper will be more the blocker  (unless you think one of the backups would do that).  He is thicker, probably slower,  while stil being a real "hands" guy. A possession guy. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....I don't think that  Njoku would ever be slated as the "blocking TE"....but why should he be?  His skills are going to be at catching the ball and running with it.   Which he CAN do.....though inconsistently at this point, sure. 

    I am going to assume that Hooper will be more the blocker  (unless you think one of the backups would do that).  He is thicker, probably slower,  while stil being a real "hands" guy. A possession guy. 

    Isn't Steve Carlson still on the roster , too?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well....I don't think that  Njoku would ever be slated as the "blocking TE"....but why should he be?  His skills are going to be at catching the ball and running with it.   Which he CAN do.....though inconsistently at this point, sure. 

    I am going to assume that Hooper will be more the blocker  (unless you think one of the backups would do that).  He is thicker, probably slower,  while stil being a real "hands" guy. A possession guy. 

    Isn't Steve Carlson still on the roster , too?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #11

    @nickers said:

    Isn't Steve Carlson still on the roster , too?

    Yes.  (will we carry 4 TEs?)

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    First, Seals has a redundant skill set with Hooper.  He left but is a really a guy we need at this point? He’s a luxury. 

    i think there is better value in the draft with a TE that has shown he can block effectively especially in this new scheme.  We may find a day three guy that can block better and has a better football IQ than Njoku.  I think there are quite a few guys out there that can.  I think that’s the biggest problem with Njoku he flashes a remarkable catch in the red zone and than appears to have brain farts throughout the rest of the game.  I think he would be good for a hold or two a game in this ZBS. 
     

    When Njoku figures it all out he will be on his second contract with another team.  We can still get something for him now 

    Well....I don't think that  Njoku would ever be slated as the "blocking TE"....but why should he be?  His skills are going to be at catching the ball and running with it.   Which he CAN do.....though inconsistently at this point, sure. 

    I am going to assume that Hooper will be more the blocker  (unless you think one of the backups would do that).  He is thicker, probably slower,  while stil being a real "hands" guy. A possession guy. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....I don't think that  Njoku would ever be slated as the "blocking TE"....but why should he be?  His skills are going to be at catching the ball and running with it.   Which he CAN do.....though inconsistently at this point, sure. 

    I am going to assume that Hooper will be more the blocker  (unless you think one of the backups would do that).  He is thicker, probably slower,  while stil being a real "hands" guy. A possession guy. 

    Hooper wasn’t paid the big bucks just to block.  He was paid that money to do it all including the things that Njoku hasn’t been able to do at this point.   

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well,  also be aware that TE Ricky Seal-Jones was a FA that signed elsewhere.   So, with this  two TE set, unless you think the Browns would go for a TE high in the draft.....which we have no business doing....Njoku stays.   Pharoh Brown backs up.   Njoku, who is still young----ONLY 23,  is a likely better "prospect" than any TE that can be had in this draft. 

    First, Seals has a redundant skill set with Hooper.  He left but is hereally a guy we need at this point? He’s a luxury. 

    i think there is better value in the draft with a TE that has shown he can block effectively especially in this new scheme.  We may find a day three guy that can block better and has a better football IQ than Njoku.  I think there are quite a few guys out there that can.  I think that’s the biggest problem with Njoku he flashes a remarkable catch in the red zone and than appears to have brain farts throughout the rest of the game.  I think he would be good for a hold or two a game in this ZBS. 
     

    When Njoku figures it all out he will be on his second contract with another team.  We can still get something for him now 

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @sdbacker80 said:

    i think there is better value in the draft with a TE that has shown he can block effectively especially in this new scheme.  We may find a day three guy that can block better and has a better football IQ than Njoku.  I think there are quite a few guys out there that can.  

    here's s a day 3 guy that could stay right here in Ohio.. had a good combine & they say he's the blocking TE ninja teams look for...may lose the Njoku redzone highpoint target?   but... 

    https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/josiah-deguara/C3YabgX51G    still on board 5th thru 7th..why not?  

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    i think there is better value in the draft with a TE that has shown he can block effectively especially in this new scheme.  We may find a day three guy that can block better and has a better football IQ than Njoku.  I think there are quite a few guys out there that can.  

    here's s a day 3 guy that could stay right here in Ohio.. had a good combine & they say he's the blocking TE ninja teams look for...may lose the Njoku redzone highpoint target?   but... 

    https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/josiah-deguara/C3YabgX51G    still on board 5th thru 7th..why not?  

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @gumby73 said:

    here's s a day 3 guy that could stay right here in Ohio.. had a good combine & they say he's the blocking TE ninja teams look for...may lose the Njoku redzone highpoint target?   but... 

    https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/josiah-deguara/C3YabgX51G    still on board 5th thru 7th..why not?  

    He’s solid.  I remember him in the UC Memphis games (both) and the OSU game.  

  • Holy over-explaining, Batman...

    10 to 1 Cook got a little coaching in the RB room for not being a tad more patient and cutting off his LG's ass...

    htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @tour2ma said:

    Holy over-explaining, Batman...

    10 to 1 Cook got a little coaching in the RB room for not being a tad more patient and cutting off his LG's ass...

    Alexander Mattison.  Cook would have made the cut.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well,  also be aware that TE Ricky Seal-Jones was a FA that signed elsewhere.   So, with this  two TE set, unless you think the Browns would go for a TE high in the draft.....which we have no business doing....Njoku stays.   Pharoh Brown backs up.   Njoku, who is still young----ONLY 23,  is a likely better "prospect" than any TE that can be had in this draft. 

    First, Seals has a redundant skill set with Hooper.  He left but is hereally a guy we need at this point? He’s a luxury. 

    i think there is better value in the draft with a TE that has shown he can block effectively especially in this new scheme.  We may find a day three guy that can block better and has a better football IQ than Njoku.  I think there are quite a few guys out there that can.  I think that’s the biggest problem with Njoku he flashes a remarkable catch in the red zone and than appears to have brain farts throughout the rest of the game.  I think he would be good for a hold or two a game in this ZBS. 
     

    When Njoku figures it all out he will be on his second contract with another team.  We can still get something for him now 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @sdbacker80 said:

    We may find a day three guy that can block better and has a better football IQ than Njoku.

    Hard to access their football IQs, but Stanford's Parkinson and Vandy's Pinkney certainly fill the bill blocking. Pass receiving? Well there's a reason they are on Day 3...

  • @calfoxwc

    When I said I want my tackles to move and reach block when running OZ....

    Please watch the above.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @tiamat63 said:

    @calfoxwc

    When I said I want my tackles to move and reach block when running OZ....

    Please watch the above.

    @tour2ma said:

    Holy over-explaining, Batman...

    10 to 1 Cook got a little coaching in the RB room for not being a tad more patient and cutting off his LG's ass...

     I honestly saw that hole open up inside the LG - by going wide, that defensive player might have been able to spin off the block and shut it down, or force it to a cutback,...

        so, this is trap blocking, or is that slightly? a different deal ?

    Another dumb question - if the de went to his left, the ROG would have to go with him.. and the lb could shoot the gap?

    If the defense does run stunts to confuse the blocking, the olinemen had better be quick on their feet, have great balance and be pretty smart, right?

    Hey, this is good stuff. I don't mind asking. !

  • @tiamat63 said:

    @calfoxwc

    When I said I want my tackles to move and reach block when running OZ....

    Please watch the above.

    @tour2ma said:

    Holy over-explaining, Batman...

    10 to 1 Cook got a little coaching in the RB room for not being a tad more patient and cutting off his LG's ass...

     I honestly saw that hole open up inside the LG - by going wide, that defensive player might have been able to spin off the block and shut it down, or force it to a cutback,...

        so, this is trap blocking, or is that slightly? a different deal ?

    Another dumb question - if the de went to his left, the ROG would have to go with him.. and the lb could shoot the gap?

    If the defense does run stunts to confuse the blocking, the olinemen had better be quick on their feet, have great balance and be pretty smart, right?

    Hey, this is good stuff. I don't mind asking. !

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @calfoxwc said:

     I honestly saw that hole open up inside the LG - by going wide, that defensive player might have been able to spin off the block and shut it down, or force it to a cutback,...

        so, this is trap blocking, or is that slightly? a different deal ?

    Another dumb question - if the de went to his left, the ROG would have to go with him.. and the lb could shoot the gap?

    If the defense does run stunts to confuse the blocking, the olinemen had better be quick on their feet, have great balance and be pretty smart, right?

    Hey, this is good stuff. I don't mind asking. !

    A trap is when a backfield blocker picks up a deliberately unblocked defensive lineman.   Most commonly a fullback picking up a defensive interior.    But there are different names for some traps. For example, if a TE on the wing crosses the formation to pick up an edge, I know that as a "flash" block,  but it is a form of trap blocking.

  • @calfoxwc said:

     I honestly saw that hole open up inside the LG - by going wide, that defensive player might have been able to spin off the block and shut it down, or force it to a cutback,...

        so, this is trap blocking, or is that slightly? a different deal ?

    Another dumb question - if the de went to his left, the ROG would have to go with him.. and the lb could shoot the gap?

    If the defense does run stunts to confuse the blocking, the olinemen had better be quick on their feet, have great balance and be pretty smart, right?

    Hey, this is good stuff. I don't mind asking. !

    A trap is when a backfield blocker picks up a deliberately unblocked defensive lineman.   Most commonly a fullback picking up a defensive interior.    But there are different names for some traps. For example, if a TE on the wing crosses the formation to pick up an edge, I know that as a "flash" block,  but it is a form of trap blocking.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @tiamat63 said:

    A trap is when a backfield blocker picks up a deliberately unblocked defensive lineman.   Most commonly a fullback picking up a defensive interior.    But there are different names for some traps. For example, if a TE on the wing crosses the formation to pick up an edge, I know that as a "flash" block,  but it is a form of trap blocking.

    Learn something every day ! Thanks.

  • @canton-mike said:

    I don't like Njoku either, but with Stefanski running a lot of 2 tight ends, we may be stuck with him. Who knows what may happen, but if we trade him, I won't complain.

    He may be a physical specimen, but it remains to be seen if & when he learns to block, run patterns, & hold onto the damn ball.

    BTW, it's scary what Chubb will do in this ZBS.

    Mike

    Well,  also be aware that TE Ricky Seal-Jones was a FA that signed elsewhere.   So, with this  two TE set, unless you think the Browns would go for a TE high in the draft.....which we have no business doing....Njoku stays.   Pharoh Brown backs up.   Njoku, who is still young----ONLY 23,  is a likely better "prospect" than any TE that can be had in this draft. 

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    Well,  also be aware that TE Ricky Seal-Jones was a FA that signed elsewhere.   So, with this  two TE set, unless you think the Browns would go for a TE high in the draft.....which we have no business doing....Njoku stays.   Pharoh Brown backs up.   Njoku, who is still young----ONLY 23,  is a likely better "prospect" than any TE that can be had in this draft. 

    Wow, only 23? But all I have seen is "potential" which doesn't cut it. He's a physical beast who ain't really a player. We'll see. 

  • I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @vambo said:

    Vambo, you're excellent, but this vid took over 10 minute before it moved. LOL 

  • @vambo said:

    Vambo, you're excellent, but this vid took over 10 minute before it moved. LOL 

    VamboV Vambo wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @icecube said:

    Vambo, you're excellent, but this vid took over 10 minute before it moved. LOL 

    Did you have the audio off?