Skip to content

Movies that stop your channel surfing dead in its tracks...

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
46 10 1.1k
  • Don't know if I mentioned this before but it was recently Rod steiger's birthday and it had been a good many years years since I'd seen the pawn broker. Powerful film ahead of its time. Actual nudity in the 60s. Not much but enough to surprise the shit out of me.

    WSS

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @westside-steve said:

    Don't know if I mentioned this before but it was recently Rod steiger's birthday and it had been a good many years years since I'd seen the pawn broker. Powerful film ahead of its time. Actual nudity in the 60s. Not much but enough to surprise the shit out of me.

    Prostitute disrobing in the shop to "tempt" Steiger into giving her a better deal IIRC. She might have been between a couple of racks of clothing?

    Saw it in a Cleveland "Art Theater".

  • @westside-steve said:

    Don't know if I mentioned this before but it was recently Rod steiger's birthday and it had been a good many years years since I'd seen the pawn broker. Powerful film ahead of its time. Actual nudity in the 60s. Not much but enough to surprise the shit out of me.

    Prostitute disrobing in the shop to "tempt" Steiger into giving her a better deal IIRC. She might have been between a couple of racks of clothing?

    Saw it in a Cleveland "Art Theater".

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @tour2ma said:

    Prostitute disrobing in the shop to "tempt" Steiger into giving her a better deal IIRC. She might have been between a couple of racks of clothing?

    Saw it in a Cleveland "Art Theater".

    That's the scene. Pretty avant-garde for its time.

    WSS

  • @tiamat63 said:

    You have bumped your god damn head, sir.  

    Didn't like Kurt's delivery of "You cur..."

    Never felt he got into the cartoonish bent of Tombstone...  which is odd since he had no such issue getting into Jack Burton...

    jbluhm86J jbluhm86 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @tour2ma said:

    Didn't like Kurt's delivery of "You cur..."

    Never felt he got into the cartoonish bent of Tombstone...  which is odd since he had no such issue getting into Jack Burton...

    You're obviously drunk, sir.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Didn't like Kurt's delivery of "You cur..."

    Never felt he got into the cartoonish bent of Tombstone...  which is odd since he had no such issue getting into Jack Burton...

    You're obviously drunk, sir.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @jbluhm86 said:

    You're obviously drunk, sir.

    I was watching some of the Kevin Costner-- Earp/Dennis Quaid --Doc Holiday  movie, just yesterday.   It does not compare to Tombstone.  I like those guys in lots of stuff  (even in stuff a lot of people don't like:  Waterworld/Postman).....but they are no comparison to this Kurt Russell/Val Kilmer  movie.  Not close. 

  • @axe said:

    Sorry, I live a guarded life.. Not familiar.. good?

    I haven't been able to get through season 2. Season 1 was great.

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @westside-steve said:

    I haven't been able to get through season 2. Season 1 was great.

    WSS

    Season 1 was great.  Each season thereafter....2-3  has gone downhill.  IMO.   They just released the final episode of Season 3, and they do say there will be a Season 4.  I am not sure why they need one.

    SPOILER ALERT:   Don't read here if you haven't seen it and want to:

    (In the final episode of season 3 they killed off what I believe are the two main characters...which is why I am wondering about the need for Season 4)

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #31

    The Godfather Trilogy

    The Shawshank Redemption

    The Ten Commandments

    The recent reboot of Planet of The Apes

    The Rocky Saga

  • The Godfather Trilogy

    The Shawshank Redemption

    The Ten Commandments

    The recent reboot of Planet of The Apes

    The Rocky Saga

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @nickers said:

    The Godfather Trilogy

    The Shawshank Redemption

    The Ten Commandments

    The recent reboot of Planet of The Apes

    The Rocky Saga

    Even though it's not on my big list I thought the reboot of Planet of the Apes was really really well done.

    WSS

  • @nickers said:

    The Godfather Trilogy

    The Shawshank Redemption

    The Ten Commandments

    The recent reboot of Planet of The Apes

    The Rocky Saga

    Even though it's not on my big list I thought the reboot of Planet of the Apes was really really well done.

    WSS

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #33

    @westside-steve said:

    Even though it's not on my big list I thought the reboot of Planet of the Apes was really really well done.

    WSS

    Yeah for a guy who was just a MoCap artist (Andy Sirkis)... His acting skills totally shocked me... It was brilliantly done... There'll be another installment of the franchise with Cornelius becoming the central figure.. I can't wait!!

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Agree on the Ape reboot...

    I had low expectations, but the CGI-fueled, FX advances really worked.

    Aside... the original Heston movie was the first time a book I'd read was brought to the big screen. Book title caught my eye while browsing my Jr. HS Library.

    My only gripe with the movie was that the Taylor-Nova sex scenes weren't included... 🙁

    They were fairly hot in the book as I recall, but then when you're a 14-yo male, it doesn't take much to start your engine.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Open Range is on a little later tonite... the final gun fight is a surf-stopper...

    And while we are on Westerns...

    • The Unforgiven... final gunfight...
    • Silverado... the opening sequence in the cabin...

     "I've heard that your a low down Yankee Liar"

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @texasag1969 said:

    "I've heard that your a low down Yankee Liar"

    Aside... back in about '77 I was an engineer in the Solvents' area of the plant in which I started my career.

    Anyway the Solvents' Shipping, Day Head Operator was a youngish fellow named Danny Boyer whose picture was in the dictionary next to "Good ol' Boy". I got to know Danny pretty well thru Rec Assn sports including softball, B-ball, etc. I even helped him coach his Little League Football team for a while (that's a whole 'nother story).

    Anywho... one time our regular B-ball group showed up for B-ball nite at the HS gym and Danny's youth team was still playing... games had run long that evening.

    After the game I was chatting with Danny and he introduced to his Asst Coach, "This is Tour... he's a Northerner."

    I asked, "Northerner? Is that better than a Yankee?"

    Danny with out skipping a beat replied, "It's as good as you can get."

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Almost forgot why I stopped by here... lol...

    Another one is on Sundance channel today and it's another "western''... of sorts...

    The Quick and the Dead

    Cartoonish storyline with cartoonish characters, but how bad can a movie with Hackman, a young Russell Crowe and an even younger DiCaprio be?

    Of course there is Sharon Stone to contend with, but she sports a smokey voice thruout that can melt your skivvies... and I didn't even know cotton had a melt point.

  • Almost forgot why I stopped by here... lol...

    Another one is on Sundance channel today and it's another "western''... of sorts...

    The Quick and the Dead

    Cartoonish storyline with cartoonish characters, but how bad can a movie with Hackman, a young Russell Crowe and an even younger DiCaprio be?

    Of course there is Sharon Stone to contend with, but she sports a smokey voice thruout that can melt your skivvies... and I didn't even know cotton had a melt point.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @tour2ma said:

    Almost forgot why I stopped by here... lol...

    Another one is on Sundance channel today and it's another "western''... of sorts...

    The Quick and the Dead

    Cartoonish storyline with cartoonish characters, but how bad can a movie with Hackman, a young Russell Crowe and an even younger DiCaprio be?

    Of course there is Sharon Stone to contend with, but she sports a smokey voice thruout that can melt your skivvies... and I didn't even know cotton had a melt point.

    That channel has some pretty good movies.. I really love INSP.. They play the original Gunsmoke epi's and some really good westerns.. I hope they play The Sabato westerns that featured Lee VanCleef.. Those were pretty good..

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #38

    Anybody love Sin City as much as I did?

    WSS

  • Anybody love Sin City as much as I did?

    WSS

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @westside-steve said:

    Anybody love Sin City as much as I did?

    That, sir, would depend upon how much you like it... 🙂

  • @westside-steve said:

    Anybody love Sin City as much as I did?

    That, sir, would depend upon how much you like it... 🙂

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @tour2ma said:

    That, sir, would depend upon how much you like it... 🙂

    A bunch.

    ?

    WSS

  • @tour2ma said:

    That, sir, would depend upon how much you like it... 🙂

    A bunch.

    ?

    WSS

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @westside-steve said:

    A bunch.

    Well in that case.... no.

    I enjoyed it, but never got into the whole "graphic novel" thing... print or movie.

  • @westside-steve said:

    A bunch.

    Well in that case.... no.

    I enjoyed it, but never got into the whole "graphic novel" thing... print or movie.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @tour2ma said:

    Well in that case.... no.

    I enjoyed it, but never got into the whole "graphic novel" thing... print or movie.

    Not really a graphic novel guy myself except for a couple I think are pretty cool. Fritz the Cat and the old Zapp Comics and one called Marshall  Law. But I'd never heard of the Sin City graphic novel. And never looked at it even after the movie.

    WSS

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #43

    Another grabbed me late a few nites ago...

    That Thing You Do... Tom Hanks' first directing effort and a pretty good effort at that. The title song could have been a hit in the 60's. I thought Tom Everett Scott was going to have a bigger career than he's had so far.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #44

    One that I love that's kind of under the radar is Vanilla Sky.

    WSS

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Tremors  (original)......always great fun. 

    Chicago.....dislike most musicals.  Love this one