Skip to content

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Browns Board
1.6k 36 27.7k
  • Ok I'll try a few, your follow up question could be how many were busts.

    1942 Frank Sinkwich Georgia out of Youngstown Chaney HS, my late father in law played football with him at Chaney, I always wondered how he ended up in Georgia.

    1956 Paul Hornug ND and GB one of my favorite players from ND and ended up with GB, a BROWNS foe with Taylor

    1959 Billy Cannon on LSU's last undefeated undefeated team until this year, he was a 1st pick but not sure if it was a non NFL team first. I know he played with LA.

    .......I have guesses on a few more but not 100% sure.

  • Ok I'll try a few, your follow up question could be how many were busts.

    1942 Frank Sinkwich Georgia out of Youngstown Chaney HS, my late father in law played football with him at Chaney, I always wondered how he ended up in Georgia.

    1956 Paul Hornug ND and GB one of my favorite players from ND and ended up with GB, a BROWNS foe with Taylor

    1959 Billy Cannon on LSU's last undefeated undefeated team until this year, he was a 1st pick but not sure if it was a non NFL team first. I know he played with LA.

    .......I have guesses on a few more but not 100% sure.

    @mjp28 said:

    Ok I'll try a few, your follow up question could be how many were busts.

    1942 Frank Sinkwich Georgia out of Youngstown Chaney HS, my late father in law played football with him at Chaney, I always wondered how he ended up in Georgia.

    1956 Paul Hornug ND and GB one of my favorite players from ND and ended up with GB, a BROWNS foe with Taylor

    1959 Billy Cannon on LSU's last undefeated undefeated team until this year, he was a 1st pick but not sure if it was a non NFL team first. I know he played with LA.

    .......I have guesses on a few more but not 100% sure.

    These are all correct. But you can give your guesses on others if you’re wrong so what. 

  • So how many are left?

  • So how many are left?

    @browns149 said:

    So how many are left?

    9 I believe 

  • @mjp28 said:

    Ok I'll try a few, your follow up question could be how many were busts.

    1942 Frank Sinkwich Georgia out of Youngstown Chaney HS, my late father in law played football with him at Chaney, I always wondered how he ended up in Georgia.

    1956 Paul Hornug ND and GB one of my favorite players from ND and ended up with GB, a BROWNS foe with Taylor

    1959 Billy Cannon on LSU's last undefeated undefeated team until this year, he was a 1st pick but not sure if it was a non NFL team first. I know he played with LA.

    .......I have guesses on a few more but not 100% sure.

    These are all correct. But you can give your guesses on others if you’re wrong so what. 

    @the-gipper said:

    These are all correct. But you can give your guesses on others if you’re wrong so what. 

    Ok how about our old Vinny Barbarino Testaverde ?

  • @the-gipper said:

    These are all correct. But you can give your guesses on others if you’re wrong so what. 

    Ok how about our old Vinny Barbarino Testaverde ?

    @mjp28 said:

    Ok how about our old Vinny Barbarino Testaverde ?

    Yes,  Check

  • Going to be doing a new approach to the Trivia.  Instead of 10-12 questions in a week which all of you ADDers seem to have trouble focusing on, I am just going to put up one per day.  So, let's see how this goes.   Today's question:

    It is highly speculated that  Heisman winner  Joe Burrow will be the #1 overall pick in the draft.    If he is, that will make him the 22d person who won the  Heisman and then who was taken with the #1 overall pick since 1936.    

    Name as many of the 21 other players in this category as you can? 

    @the-gipper said:

    Going to be doing a new approach to the Trivia.  Instead of 10-12 questions in a week which all of you ADDers seem to have trouble focusing on, I am just going to put up one per day.  So, let's see how this goes.   Today's question:

    It is highly speculated that  Heisman winner  Joe Burrow will be the #1 overall pick in the draft.    If he is, that will make him the 22d person who won the  Heisman and then who was taken with the #1 overall pick since 1936.    

    Name as many of the 21 other players in this category as you can? 

    Answers, in chronological order:

    Jay Berwanger

    Tom Harmon

    Frank Sinkwich

    Leon Hart

    Paul Hornung

    Billy Cannon

    Terry Baker

    Ernie Davis

    OJ Simpson

    Jim Plunkett

    Earl Campbell

    Billy Sims

    George Rogers

    Bo Jackson

    Vinny Testaverde

    Carson Palmer

    Sam Bradford

    Cam Newton

    Jameis Winston

    Baker Mayfield

    Kyler Murray

  • Oh yeah, #5 for the Pack. Forgot about him. Now 85 years old.

  • Here is today's Trivia Question:

    There have been  15 players who were the #1  overall pick in either the NFL or AFL draft, who went on to be named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  Note: to help:  2 of the 15 taken in the AFL draft. 

    Name as many of these 15 players as you can.

  • Right off hand that one era comes to mind:

    Paul Hornung  Billy Cannon?  OJ Simpson   Jim Plunkett  Earl Campbell like I mentioned a few #1 picks were busts or just ok players.

    The two AFL ones are interesting, I'll give it some thought.  So many good players back then some on defense.

  • Right off hand that one era comes to mind:

    Paul Hornung  Billy Cannon?  OJ Simpson   Jim Plunkett  Earl Campbell like I mentioned a few #1 picks were busts or just ok players.

    The two AFL ones are interesting, I'll give it some thought.  So many good players back then some on defense.

    @mjp28 said:

    Right off hand that one era comes to mind:

    Paul Hornung  Billy Cannon?  OJ Simpson   Jim Plunkett  Earl Campbell like I mentioned a few #1 picks were busts or just ok players.

    The two AFL ones are interesting, I'll give it some thought.  So many good players back then some on defense.

    Check on Hornung,  Simpson, and Campbell.     Neither Cannon nor Plunkett are  HOF. 

  • Troy Aikmen

    Terry Bradshaw

    John horsetooth Elway

  • Troy Aikmen

    Terry Bradshaw

    John horsetooth Elway

    @browns149 said:

    Troy Aikmen

    Terry Bradshaw

    John horsetooth Elway

    Check on all these.

    Still  6 names left.    Hint:   None of those not yet named are QBs. 

    2 DL,  2 OL,  and 3 "old timers"  (pre-60s)

  • Orlando Pace

  • I was thinking about one of the old OL guys like Dave Rimington but I'm not sure which ones were picked #1...... except for the road grader Pace.

  • Orlando Pace

    @browns149 said:

    Orlando Pace

    Check

  • I was thinking about one of the old OL guys like Dave Rimington but I'm not sure which ones were picked #1...... except for the road grader Pace.

    @mjp28 said:

    I was thinking about one of the old OL guys like Dave Rimington but I'm not sure which ones were picked #1...... except for the road grader Pace.

    Well, Rimington was neither  #1 overall nor HOF.   

    But there is one other OL who fits the bill.  Think late 60s.    Plus the 2 DL   ( 1=70s/1=90s)

    And hints on the 3 "old timers" :   2 played halfback, and one played both ways at OC and LB.    (that should give it away)

  • There have been  15 players who were the #1  overall pick in either the NFL or AFL draft, who went on to be named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  Note: to help:  2 of the 15 taken in the AFL draft. 

    Name as many of these 15 players as you can.

    Answers:

    Bill Dudley

    Charley Trippi

    Chuck Bednarik

    Paul Hornung

    Ron Yary

    OJ Simpson

    Terry Bradshaw

    LeeRoy Selmon

    Earl Campbell

    John Elway

    Bruce Smith

    Troy Aikman

    Orlando Pace

    Buck Buchanan...from AFL draft

    Joe Namath...from AFL draft

    Others that will/could make it someday:

    Manning Brothers, Peyton and Eli

  • Only the Following people have completed the "Trifecta":     Won the Heisman Trophy,   became  #1 pick in the draft.  Selected to Pro Football Hall of Fame:

    Paul Hornung,  OJ Simpson,  Earl Campbell.                     Very exclusive company

    The following could...in theory join those 3, if they were to ever get in:

    Bo Jackson  ...didn't play long enough due to injury

    Vinny Testaverde????  Has numbers, but just not good enough.

    Carson Palmer.....very borderline at best

    Sam Bradford....not even sure he has a job in the league now.

    Cam Newton.....Best Bet  now if he can overcome injuries 

    Jameis Winston.    Meh

    Baker Mayfield....hope fully

    Kyler Murray.....way ahead of ourselves.

  • Today's Trivia Question:

    In 100 years of the NFL,  by my count, I come up with  12-13  "Dynasties"  in the history of the game.    For purposes of this question I am going to define a Dynasty as any team that won  3 Championships in the course of any 10 year period.  

    Name as many of these Dynasties as you can.   Just give the team and the approximate era.   Example:    Cleveland Browns  2020s.  (we wish)