Skip to content

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Browns Board
1.6k 36 27.7k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Oilers check....60/61.   Not KC

    I'm trying to think of the powerhouse AFL teams back then San Diego comes to mind.  (I was a teenager.)

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    I'm trying to think of the powerhouse AFL teams back then San Diego comes to mind.  (I was a teenager.)

    NO.  (SD was a powerhouse, but they only won 1 title...and lost like  4 other AFL titles).   1-4 in AFL title game.  Does that constitute a "dynasty"?

  • @mjp28 said:

    I'm trying to think of the powerhouse AFL teams back then San Diego comes to mind.  (I was a teenager.)

    NO.  (SD was a powerhouse, but they only won 1 title...and lost like  4 other AFL titles).   1-4 in AFL title game.  Does that constitute a "dynasty"?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @the-gipper said:

    NO.  (SD was a powerhouse, but they only won 1 title...and lost like  4 other AFL titles).   1-4 in AFL title game.  Does that constitute a "dynasty"?

    I was a die hard NFL (BROWNS) fan back then hey just 1 year older than you -but- had a friend who was a bit "different" sports wise was an AFL fan plus the pirates, etc.  I do remember some just merged in with the NFL like Buffalo, Oakland and the Boston Patriots but I can't place another repeating champion.

    I do remember that they did have some high flying football which did attract fans......and Pete Rozelle.

    Guess Buffalo and ???? Oakland.

  • @the-gipper said:

    NO.  (SD was a powerhouse, but they only won 1 title...and lost like  4 other AFL titles).   1-4 in AFL title game.  Does that constitute a "dynasty"?

    I was a die hard NFL (BROWNS) fan back then hey just 1 year older than you -but- had a friend who was a bit "different" sports wise was an AFL fan plus the pirates, etc.  I do remember some just merged in with the NFL like Buffalo, Oakland and the Boston Patriots but I can't place another repeating champion.

    I do remember that they did have some high flying football which did attract fans......and Pete Rozelle.

    Guess Buffalo and ???? Oakland.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    I was a die hard NFL (BROWNS) fan back then hey just 1 year older than you -but- had a friend who was a bit "different" sports wise was an AFL fan plus the pirates, etc.  I do remember some just merged in with the NFL like Buffalo, Oakland and the Boston Patriots but I can't place another repeating champion.

    I do remember that they did have some high flying football which did attract fans......and Pete Rozelle.

    Guess Buffalo and ???? Oakland.

    Not Buffalo AND Oakland.    You have to choose one of the other. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    In the 100 year history of Professional Football,   there have been 19 repeat championship teams  (won 2 or more in a row) .  These include NFL/AFL/AAFC, and it includes pre-SB and SB era.

    Name each of these repeat champions.     Include team and  years (approx). 

    Answers:

    1922/23/24  Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs

    1929/30/31 Packers

    1940/41 Bears

    1946/47/48/49/50  Browns

    1948/49 Eagles

    1952/53 Lions

    1954/55 Browns

    1958/59 Colts

    1960/61 Oilers  AFL

    1961/62 Packers

    1964/65 Bills  AFL

    1965/66/67 Packers

    1972/73 Dolphins

    1974/75 Steelers

    1978/79 Steelers

    1988/89 49ers

    1992/93 Cowboys

    1997/98 Broncos

    2003/04 Patriots 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    Here is today's Trivia Question.    This is kind of a two parter, but not really.    And this applies ONLY to the Super Bowl era.

    A. In the Super Bowl era,  there have been  Four (4)  teams that went from having a losing record the previous season.....to winning the Super Bowl the next year.

    B. There have also been 4 other teams  who had a  .500 record  (8-8)  the previous season, to winning the Super Bowl the next year.

    Name as many of these sub .500 or  .500 teams as you can.  

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by Bob806

    St. Louis Rams in 1999 , and the 49ers in 1981

  • St. Louis Rams in 1999 , and the 49ers in 1981

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @bob806 said:

    St. Louis Rams in 1999 , and the 49ers in 1981

    Check on both.

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by

    cleveland 2020

  • cleveland 2020

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @atom said:

    cleveland 2020

    Have you done the Time Warp? giphy.gif

  • @atom said:

    cleveland 2020

    Have you done the Time Warp? giphy.gif

    ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Have you done the Time Warp? giphy.gif

    yep got a tardis for my birthday

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    I think Joe Gibbs Washington Redskins had a losing then SB run.

  • I think Joe Gibbs Washington Redskins had a losing then SB run.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    I think Joe Gibbs Washington Redskins had a losing then SB run.

    I will give that to you.  He didn't have one of the losing records, but he did have an 8-8 record in 1981 before winning it in  1982.  

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    Two more  sub .500 teams  left  who went on to become SB Champs the next year.

    Hint:  both in 21st century

    Three other .500 teams

    Hint:  These 3 also all won their SB in the 2000s 

    To put it this way:   Prior to 1999  only two previous SB winners went from  .500 or worse to win a Super Bowl.  Since 1999 (Rams)    6 teams went from  .500 or below to win SB the next year. 

    Free agency a factor? 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Here is today's Trivia Question.    This is kind of a two parter, but not really.    And this applies ONLY to the Super Bowl era.

    A. In the Super Bowl era,  there have been  Four (4)  teams that went from having a losing record the previous season.....to winning the Super Bowl the next year.

    B. There have also been 4 other teams  who had a  .500 record  (8-8)  the previous season, to winning the Super Bowl the next year.

    Name as many of these sub .500 or  .500 teams as you can.  

    Answers:

    1980 San Francisco 49ers  6-10  1981  Super Bowl Champions

    1981 Washington Redskins 8-8  1982  Super Bowl Champions

    1998 St. Louis Rams  4-12   1999 Super Bowl Champions

    1999 Baltimore Ravens  8-8   2000   Super Bowl Champions

    2000  New England Patriots  5-11  2001 Super Bowl Champions

    2006 NY Giants  8-8  2007 Super Bowl Champions

    2008  New Orleans Saints  8-8   2009  Super Bowl Champions

    2016 Philadelphia Eagles 7-9  2017 Super Bowl Champions.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    Here is today's trivia question.

    Preface:  Pro Football Reference has a statistic, for all players, but for now we will just deal with Quarterbacks. That stat is called the Hall of Fame Monitor. It supposedly measure a person's  HOF credentials, based on various factors: Pro Bowls/All Pros/Championships and a variety of statistical measurement.   There is obviously debate here and elsewhere about some of these QBs  HOF credentials.  The question is:

    Name the Top 15 QBs who ARE  HOF eligible that have NOT been inducted into the HOF who you think would be on this list.  (note: exclude active players, and those retired yet not yet eligible like Peyton Manning;  also note: only deals with players in the league since 1955)

  • GorkaG Gorka wrote on last edited by

    Ken Anderson

  • Ken Anderson

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @gorka said:

    Ken Anderson

    He is #1 on the list.  Check

  • RichiswhereR Richiswhere wrote on last edited by

    Randell Cunningham

    Donovan McNabb

    Vinny Testaverde

    Jim Hart

    Boomer Esiason

    David Kreig

    Jim Plunkett

    Steve McNair

    Phil Simms

  • @gorka said:

    Ken Anderson

    He is #1 on the list.  Check

    GorkaG Gorka wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    He is #1 on the list.  Check

    The #1 gripe among Bungle fans. That's how I knew.

    And a valid gripe having only one player I believe in HOF ...A. Munoz.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    I’d have to say Randall Cunningham tops my list. 

    Phil Simms next.

    and then hometown love for Bernie- he had a 4-5 year period of mostly brilliance at the position.