Skip to content

positional hierarchy

The Browns Board
27 11 600
  • Interesting. QB at the top is obvious.

    This chart doesn't emphasise the LB position, basically minimizes it. That's crazy- look at our favorite team, and how we've struggled to stop the run since like, 1994? Sub par LB play is the culprit. LB play is a huge component of a defense, without it you can't get off the field.

    @bob806 said:

    This chart doesn't emphasise

    Yeah, when you're weak at a position it gets picked on and exposed....which will make you launch it up higher on your teams chart.

    I saw one where the RB was ranked all by itself...at the bottom of the chart.  Valued AFTER punter, returner and long snapper. (rent a running back  -  like the Patriots use to do)

  • I’d bump the #2 Corner up and Nickleback up as well.  Offensive schemes are exploiting those matchups 

  • I’d bump the #2 Corner up and Nickleback up as well.  Offensive schemes are exploiting those matchups 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’d bump

    I think we could all build our own and they'd all look slightly different.  And I think that we would tweak our own every year based on what position was getting it's ass handed to it in the previous season.  Because we would then see a higher value in that position.

  • My thoughts

    - bump up WR across the board

    - primary edge rusher could maybe go down one

    - nose tackle can go down a few 

    - DBs move up, ESPECIALLY nickel

    - Free Safety up a few too, maybe moving it aheas of SS if you're distinguishing between the two

    - interior OL up

    - 5tech, 2nd edge, ILB down

    Basically, need to emphasize the passing game more (WRs and DBs)

  • My thoughts

    - bump up WR across the board

    - primary edge rusher could maybe go down one

    - nose tackle can go down a few 

    - DBs move up, ESPECIALLY nickel

    - Free Safety up a few too, maybe moving it aheas of SS if you're distinguishing between the two

    - interior OL up

    - 5tech, 2nd edge, ILB down

    Basically, need to emphasize the passing game more (WRs and DBs)

    @mld-woody said:

    Basically, need to emphasize the passing game more (WRs and DBs)

    Nothing stops a passing game more than a team that can consistently harass a QB. 

    The edge pass rusher is right where he needs to be. 

  • @mld-woody said:

    Basically, need to emphasize the passing game more (WRs and DBs)

    Nothing stops a passing game more than a team that can consistently harass a QB. 

    The edge pass rusher is right where he needs to be. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Nothing stops a passing game more than a team that can consistently harass a QB. 

    The edge pass rusher is right where he needs to be. 

    But you can scheme around a strong edge rusher. Bring in a TE, rollout the other way, quick passes, etc. If an elite DB is locking down your #1 WR you need to go elsewhere. Potentially lose half of the field 

  • There was an image of the positional hierarchy which the Browns had on their whiteboard floating around a year or so ago, and which I have seen recently. It tell s you the order of importance which the Browns see it. Perhaps someone on here has the image.

  • There was an image of the positional hierarchy which the Browns had on their whiteboard floating around a year or so ago, and which I have seen recently. It tell s you the order of importance which the Browns see it. Perhaps someone on here has the image.

    @barry said:

    There was an image of the positional hierarchy which the Browns had on their whiteboard floating around a year or so ago, and which I have seen recently. It tell s you the order of importance which the Browns see it. Perhaps someone on here has the image.

    the Paul Depodesta GuardRails, now with a Andrew Berry blend... https://dawgsbynature.com/2019/1/24/18196310/lets-look-at-the-browns-guardrails-from-the-analytics-team 

    I do remember Bill Polian saying in a interview, that he asked rookie Andrew Berry to give him a full detail report on how to keep the Colts soft tissue injuries to a controlled amount throughout a full season..and Bill Polian became quite a fan of Andrew Berry from that point forward..     

  • Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Brady has made a living off those little flea #3 WRs.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Brady has made a living off those little flea #3 WRs.

    I know, that's why this pyramid is mostly correct, but real life is full of exceptions. NE won 6 rings with mostly no #1 WR (They had Moss for a bit but didn't actually win any rings while he played). There are also exceptional players that are low on this thing that contradict the pyramid. DTs are low on this priority but what do players like Larry Donald and Warren Sapp add to a team? And a safety like Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu? Brian Dawkins? Even teams without a franchise QB can win rings (but it's rare, agreed). Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler have rings. That being said, I have heard more than one pundit say, "You need a QB, a LT and a pass rusher first and foremost" and it is mostly true. 

  • @bob806 said:

    This chart doesn't emphasise

    Yeah, when you're weak at a position it gets picked on and exposed....which will make you launch it up higher on your teams chart.

    I saw one where the RB was ranked all by itself...at the bottom of the chart.  Valued AFTER punter, returner and long snapper. (rent a running back  -  like the Patriots use to do)

    @orion said:

    Yeah, when you're weak at a position it gets picked on and exposed....which will make you launch it up higher on your teams chart.

    I saw one where the RB was ranked all by itself...at the bottom of the chart.  Valued AFTER punter, returner and long snapper. (rent a running back  -  like the Patriots use to do)

    Crazy the Pats did that, but it sure worked

  • @barry said:

    There was an image of the positional hierarchy which the Browns had on their whiteboard floating around a year or so ago, and which I have seen recently. It tell s you the order of importance which the Browns see it. Perhaps someone on here has the image.

    the Paul Depodesta GuardRails, now with a Andrew Berry blend... https://dawgsbynature.com/2019/1/24/18196310/lets-look-at-the-browns-guardrails-from-the-analytics-team 

    I do remember Bill Polian saying in a interview, that he asked rookie Andrew Berry to give him a full detail report on how to keep the Colts soft tissue injuries to a controlled amount throughout a full season..and Bill Polian became quite a fan of Andrew Berry from that point forward..     

    @gumby73 said:

    the Paul Depodesta GuardRails, now with a Andrew Berry blend... https://dawgsbynature.com/2019/1/24/18196310/lets-look-at-the-browns-guardrails-from-the-analytics-team 

    I do remember Bill Polian saying in a interview, that he asked rookie Andrew Berry to give him a full detail report on how to keep the Colts soft tissue injuries to a controlled amount throughout a full season..and Bill Polian became quite a fan of Andrew Berry from that point forward..     

    Interesting.....but it is the phrase on there " Chum the bottom of the roster"   that drives me crazy at times. 

  • @gumby73 said:

    the Paul Depodesta GuardRails, now with a Andrew Berry blend... https://dawgsbynature.com/2019/1/24/18196310/lets-look-at-the-browns-guardrails-from-the-analytics-team 

    I do remember Bill Polian saying in a interview, that he asked rookie Andrew Berry to give him a full detail report on how to keep the Colts soft tissue injuries to a controlled amount throughout a full season..and Bill Polian became quite a fan of Andrew Berry from that point forward..     

    Interesting.....but it is the phrase on there " Chum the bottom of the roster"   that drives me crazy at times. 

    @the-gipper said:

    " Chum the bottom of the roster"   that drives me crazy at times. 

    Yup.  When you kinda' like a guy down there and the next thing ya know they sign some schmuck and let your guy go.

  • Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Brady has made a living off those little flea #3 WRs.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Brady has made a living off those little flea #3 WRs.

    That's actually my view of Landry.  He'd be hell running Edelman routes.

  • @the-gipper said:

    " Chum the bottom of the roster"   that drives me crazy at times. 

    Yup.  When you kinda' like a guy down there and the next thing ya know they sign some schmuck and let your guy go.

    @orion said:

    Yup.  When you kinda' like a guy down there and the next thing ya know they sign some schmuck and let your guy go.

    The only thing I can fathom is that they are doing this as a way to achieve  full employment for football players and to give them a decent...if not ostentatious living. 

    As...at the Minimum NFL salary which is about  $500,000  per year, each of those players get a single game  check in the amount of about  $31,250   (500K divided by 16).   And here is a stat from the US Bureau of Labor statistics:

    The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported a median personal income of $865 weekly for all full-time workers in 2017. The U.S. Census Bureau lists the annual median personal income at $31,099 in 2016.

    So...for one game....those players are getting the equivalent of the annual income of  half the people in America.  (at least in 2016...not sure about  2020)

    So, "Chumming the roster"  can give a guy a somewhat living wage for a whole year.   Not a bad gig if you think about.  And if they stay on the roster for 2 games....they make twice the annual income of most people.  

    So, while I can't stand that they do that,  I won't cry for them Argentina.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Brady has made a living off those little flea #3 WRs.

    That's actually my view of Landry.  He'd be hell running Edelman routes.

    @orion said:

    That's actually my view of Landry.  He'd be hell running Edelman routes.

    I agree and I hope we find a really legit #2 in this very deep WR draft. I'd love to see Landry in the slot all game long. But who knows maybe with a much improved OL and Ratley getting into real #2 form this thing could really turn around with Landry in the slot. He's got everything you need for it and an even better catch radius than most "fleas".

  • @orion said:

    That's actually my view of Landry.  He'd be hell running Edelman routes.

    I agree and I hope we find a really legit #2 in this very deep WR draft. I'd love to see Landry in the slot all game long. But who knows maybe with a much improved OL and Ratley getting into real #2 form this thing could really turn around with Landry in the slot. He's got everything you need for it and an even better catch radius than most "fleas".

    @texasag1969 said:

    I agree and I hope we find a really legit #2 in this very deep WR draft. I'd love to see Landry in the slot all game long. But who knows maybe with a much improved OL and Ratley getting into real #2 form this thing could really turn around with Landry in the slot. He's got everything you need for it and an even better catch radius than most "fleas".

    Or, why don't we just re-sign  Higgins?   Freddie is gone and so, hopefully, is his doghouse. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I agree and I hope we find a really legit #2 in this very deep WR draft. I'd love to see Landry in the slot all game long. But who knows maybe with a much improved OL and Ratley getting into real #2 form this thing could really turn around with Landry in the slot. He's got everything you need for it and an even better catch radius than most "fleas".

    Or, why don't we just re-sign  Higgins?   Freddie is gone and so, hopefully, is his doghouse. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Or, why don't we just re-sign  Higgins?   Freddie is gone and so, hopefully, is his doghouse. 

    I find it strange that Higgins is no longer listed on the team here.

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/players-roster/

  • @the-gipper said:

    Or, why don't we just re-sign  Higgins?   Freddie is gone and so, hopefully, is his doghouse. 

    I find it strange that Higgins is no longer listed on the team here.

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/players-roster/

    @texasag1969 said:

    I find it strange that Higgins is no longer listed on the team here.

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/players-roster/

    Well, as a FA he is not technically on the team.    But, I don't think he has signed elsewhere, has he ?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I find it strange that Higgins is no longer listed on the team here.

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/players-roster/

    Well, as a FA he is not technically on the team.    But, I don't think he has signed elsewhere, has he ?

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, as a FA he is not technically on the team.    But, I don't think he has signed elsewhere, has he ?

    I don't believe he has and I do hope he comes back. But right now they are not counting on him it seems.

  • RT is too low. Doesn't need to be at same level as LT, but needs to be no more than one level below.