positional hierarchy
-
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Brady has made a living off those little flea #3 WRs.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Brady has made a living off those little flea #3 WRs.
I know, that's why this pyramid is mostly correct, but real life is full of exceptions. NE won 6 rings with mostly no #1 WR (They had Moss for a bit but didn't actually win any rings while he played). There are also exceptional players that are low on this thing that contradict the pyramid. DTs are low on this priority but what do players like Larry Donald and Warren Sapp add to a team? And a safety like Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu? Brian Dawkins? Even teams without a franchise QB can win rings (but it's rare, agreed). Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler have rings. That being said, I have heard more than one pundit say, "You need a QB, a LT and a pass rusher first and foremost" and it is mostly true.
-
This chart doesn't emphasise
Yeah, when you're weak at a position it gets picked on and exposed....which will make you launch it up higher on your teams chart.
I saw one where the RB was ranked all by itself...at the bottom of the chart. Valued AFTER punter, returner and long snapper. (rent a running back - like the Patriots use to do)
Yeah, when you're weak at a position it gets picked on and exposed....which will make you launch it up higher on your teams chart.
I saw one where the RB was ranked all by itself...at the bottom of the chart. Valued AFTER punter, returner and long snapper. (rent a running back - like the Patriots use to do)
Crazy the Pats did that, but it sure worked
-
There was an image of the positional hierarchy which the Browns had on their whiteboard floating around a year or so ago, and which I have seen recently. It tell s you the order of importance which the Browns see it. Perhaps someone on here has the image.
the Paul Depodesta GuardRails, now with a Andrew Berry blend... https://dawgsbynature.com/2019/1/24/18196310/lets-look-at-the-browns-guardrails-from-the-analytics-team
I do remember Bill Polian saying in a interview, that he asked rookie Andrew Berry to give him a full detail report on how to keep the Colts soft tissue injuries to a controlled amount throughout a full season..and Bill Polian became quite a fan of Andrew Berry from that point forward..
the Paul Depodesta GuardRails, now with a Andrew Berry blend... https://dawgsbynature.com/2019/1/24/18196310/lets-look-at-the-browns-guardrails-from-the-analytics-team
I do remember Bill Polian saying in a interview, that he asked rookie Andrew Berry to give him a full detail report on how to keep the Colts soft tissue injuries to a controlled amount throughout a full season..and Bill Polian became quite a fan of Andrew Berry from that point forward..
Interesting.....but it is the phrase on there " Chum the bottom of the roster" that drives me crazy at times.
-
the Paul Depodesta GuardRails, now with a Andrew Berry blend... https://dawgsbynature.com/2019/1/24/18196310/lets-look-at-the-browns-guardrails-from-the-analytics-team
I do remember Bill Polian saying in a interview, that he asked rookie Andrew Berry to give him a full detail report on how to keep the Colts soft tissue injuries to a controlled amount throughout a full season..and Bill Polian became quite a fan of Andrew Berry from that point forward..
Interesting.....but it is the phrase on there " Chum the bottom of the roster" that drives me crazy at times.
" Chum the bottom of the roster" that drives me crazy at times.
Yup. When you kinda' like a guy down there and the next thing ya know they sign some schmuck and let your guy go.
-
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Brady has made a living off those little flea #3 WRs.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Brady has made a living off those little flea #3 WRs.
That's actually my view of Landry. He'd be hell running Edelman routes.
-
" Chum the bottom of the roster" that drives me crazy at times.
Yup. When you kinda' like a guy down there and the next thing ya know they sign some schmuck and let your guy go.
Yup. When you kinda' like a guy down there and the next thing ya know they sign some schmuck and let your guy go.
The only thing I can fathom is that they are doing this as a way to achieve full employment for football players and to give them a decent...if not ostentatious living.
As...at the Minimum NFL salary which is about $500,000 per year, each of those players get a single game check in the amount of about $31,250 (500K divided by 16). And here is a stat from the US Bureau of Labor statistics:
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported a median personal income of $865 weekly for all full-time workers in 2017. The U.S. Census Bureau lists the annual median personal income at $31,099 in 2016.
So...for one game....those players are getting the equivalent of the annual income of half the people in America. (at least in 2016...not sure about 2020)
So, "Chumming the roster" can give a guy a somewhat living wage for a whole year. Not a bad gig if you think about. And if they stay on the roster for 2 games....they make twice the annual income of most people.
So, while I can't stand that they do that, I won't cry for them Argentina.
-
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Brady has made a living off those little flea #3 WRs.
That's actually my view of Landry. He'd be hell running Edelman routes.
That's actually my view of Landry. He'd be hell running Edelman routes.
I agree and I hope we find a really legit #2 in this very deep WR draft. I'd love to see Landry in the slot all game long. But who knows maybe with a much improved OL and Ratley getting into real #2 form this thing could really turn around with Landry in the slot. He's got everything you need for it and an even better catch radius than most "fleas".
-
That's actually my view of Landry. He'd be hell running Edelman routes.
I agree and I hope we find a really legit #2 in this very deep WR draft. I'd love to see Landry in the slot all game long. But who knows maybe with a much improved OL and Ratley getting into real #2 form this thing could really turn around with Landry in the slot. He's got everything you need for it and an even better catch radius than most "fleas".
I agree and I hope we find a really legit #2 in this very deep WR draft. I'd love to see Landry in the slot all game long. But who knows maybe with a much improved OL and Ratley getting into real #2 form this thing could really turn around with Landry in the slot. He's got everything you need for it and an even better catch radius than most "fleas".
Or, why don't we just re-sign Higgins? Freddie is gone and so, hopefully, is his doghouse.
-
I agree and I hope we find a really legit #2 in this very deep WR draft. I'd love to see Landry in the slot all game long. But who knows maybe with a much improved OL and Ratley getting into real #2 form this thing could really turn around with Landry in the slot. He's got everything you need for it and an even better catch radius than most "fleas".
Or, why don't we just re-sign Higgins? Freddie is gone and so, hopefully, is his doghouse.
Or, why don't we just re-sign Higgins? Freddie is gone and so, hopefully, is his doghouse.
I find it strange that Higgins is no longer listed on the team here.
-
Or, why don't we just re-sign Higgins? Freddie is gone and so, hopefully, is his doghouse.
I find it strange that Higgins is no longer listed on the team here.
I find it strange that Higgins is no longer listed on the team here.
Well, as a FA he is not technically on the team. But, I don't think he has signed elsewhere, has he ?
-
I find it strange that Higgins is no longer listed on the team here.
Well, as a FA he is not technically on the team. But, I don't think he has signed elsewhere, has he ?
Well, as a FA he is not technically on the team. But, I don't think he has signed elsewhere, has he ?
I don't believe he has and I do hope he comes back. But right now they are not counting on him it seems.
-
Yup. When you kinda' like a guy down there and the next thing ya know they sign some schmuck and let your guy go.
The only thing I can fathom is that they are doing this as a way to achieve full employment for football players and to give them a decent...if not ostentatious living.
As...at the Minimum NFL salary which is about $500,000 per year, each of those players get a single game check in the amount of about $31,250 (500K divided by 16). And here is a stat from the US Bureau of Labor statistics:
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported a median personal income of $865 weekly for all full-time workers in 2017. The U.S. Census Bureau lists the annual median personal income at $31,099 in 2016.
So...for one game....those players are getting the equivalent of the annual income of half the people in America. (at least in 2016...not sure about 2020)
So, "Chumming the roster" can give a guy a somewhat living wage for a whole year. Not a bad gig if you think about. And if they stay on the roster for 2 games....they make twice the annual income of most people.
So, while I can't stand that they do that, I won't cry for them Argentina.
they are doing this as a way to achieve full employment for football players
Nah. They're looking for a diamond in the sand. They keep sifting through...
-
they are doing this as a way to achieve full employment for football players
Nah. They're looking for a diamond in the sand. They keep sifting through...
Nah. They're looking for a diamond in the sand. They keep sifting through...
Yes, I know....that was obviously facetious..... Their intent, sure, is not to give the average annual American wage to these guys for being on the roster for one single game.....but that IS an economic byproduct of them doing it.
-
Nah. They're looking for a diamond in the sand. They keep sifting through...
Yes, I know....that was obviously facetious..... Their intent, sure, is not to give the average annual American wage to these guys for being on the roster for one single game.....but that IS an economic byproduct of them doing it.
that was obviously facetious
...after all, Jimmy would much rather screw his customers OUT of a check. But then, I guess we're talking his employees, and not customers. The customers would be us.
-
Original Title of the article was, "Is Value of Running Backs in the NFL Rising?" Not sure why he changed it to this later version, but the body of the article is the same.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login