Skip to content

How high to take a WR, and who?

The Browns Board
22 8 353
  • I think it depends on whether we trade OBJ... 🙂

    Someone mocked Texas WR, Devin Duvernay, and ever since I looked into him, I've felt like he was a fit for us late Day 2 or early Day 3. Whether we spend that kind of pick to my mind depends on whether we add a pick in that range in a Day 1 or 2 trade down.

    Otherwise I don't see us grabbing a WR until late Day 3, if then. Certainly we'll be pursuing a handful of UDFA WRs in the hours/days after the Draft ends.

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @tour2ma said:

    I think it depends on whether we trade OBJ... 🙂

    Someone mocked Texas WR, Devin Duvernay, and ever since I looked into him, I've felt like he was a fit for us late Day 3 or early Day 4. Whether we spend that kind of pick to my mind depends on whether we add a pick in that range in a Day 1 or 2 trade down.

    Otherwise I don't see us grabbing a WR until late Day 3, if then. Certainly we'll be pursuing a handful of UDFA WRs in the hours/days after the Draft ends.

    Duve would be a super compliment to the O. But I don't think he will still be around day 4 for sure. 

  • @icecube said:

    I think he's been screaming up draft boards the last few weeks, that dude can fly. I'm not sure how long he will last. Could go as high as 3rd round now. 

    He's also a really tough runner once he's got the ball. Not afraid to deliver a blow. Versatile enough to make a really good slot player that you can move all over the place.

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @texasag1969 said:

    He's also a really tough runner once he's got the ball. Not afraid to deliver a blow. Versatile enough to make a really good slot player that you can move all over the place.

    He'd be like a Metcalf with  some muscle mass. 

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #8

    I always do that...

  • @tour2ma said:

    I think it depends on whether we trade OBJ... 🙂

    Someone mocked Texas WR, Devin Duvernay, and ever since I looked into him, I've felt like he was a fit for us late Day 3 or early Day 4. Whether we spend that kind of pick to my mind depends on whether we add a pick in that range in a Day 1 or 2 trade down.

    Otherwise I don't see us grabbing a WR until late Day 3, if then. Certainly we'll be pursuing a handful of UDFA WRs in the hours/days after the Draft ends.

    Duve would be a super compliment to the O. But I don't think he will still be around day 4 for sure. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @icecube said:

    Duve would be a super compliment to the O. But I don't think he will still be around day 4 for sure. 

    You guys keep talking day 4 but to me it looks like they kept it to 3 days.

    https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/13/nfl-draft-schedule-broadcast-info-times-dates-channels

  • @texasag1969 said:

    He's also a really tough runner once he's got the ball. Not afraid to deliver a blow. Versatile enough to make a really good slot player that you can move all over the place.

    He'd be like a Metcalf with  some muscle mass. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @icecube said:

    He'd be like a Metcalf with  some muscle mass. 

    I think he might be there for our compensatory pick #97 in the late 3rd, but then of course I took him for Denver @ #95? in the BB draft. And in reality that just might happen, because Denver could really use a good slot player.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    We are keeping OBJ unless we are incredibly stupid.  Landry is a slot guy.  I hear talk around here that we don’t have a slot-  hello??? That’s Landry. He’s just well rounded. 
     

    I love Austin Mack.  I think he came to OSU got a little humbled worked his way to a spot were he wasn’t Ultra productive but he caught the ball, ran polished professional routes (probably learned a lot from B Hartline) and has the build to be a factor on the outside and in the red zone. 
     

    Cephus (Wisconsin) and Bowden (Kentucky) two others I’d consider. 

  • To simplify the discussion, I am going to assume #10 will be used on a LT, as it is a huge need AND this draft is loaded with guys who look like stalwarts at the position. Of course, you never know, but I'm gonna make that assumption. I'm also going to assume both Landry and OBJ are here and healthy. (If OBJ gets traded, it would change a lot and WR would be taken much earlier). 

    So, considering the needs, WR won't be taken in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd. 

    Here are some WRs who could be there when they'd be willing to grab one. 

    Van Jefferson, UF - great route runner, sweet feet, good size. Knows how to used every trick in the book, a little old (24) not overly athletic. Has a low ceiling. Could be a solid contributor. 

    Jalen Reagor, TCU -  Explosive with control. Looks like a good slot prospect.

     KJ Hamler, PSU -  Small, but quick. Translates to the slot in the NFL. Can add some bulk and probably needs to. 

    BRYAN EDWARDS, Sout Car. - Big, productive, has some drop issues when he loses focus. But the kid can play. 

    Chase Claypool, ND - His physical measurable out of this world, 6-4, 240 lbs, with 4.42 speed. Those #'s will get him drafted higher than he probably deserves. Is kind of stiff, no wiggle after the catch, but that's a big dude who can just flat out haul ass down the field. 

    WR Quartney Davis, TX A&M - Slot guy. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @icecube said:

    To simplify the discussion, I am going to assume #10 will be used on a LT, as it is a huge need AND this draft is loaded with guys who look like stalwarts at the position. Of course, you never know, but I'm gonna make that assumption. I'm also going to assume both Landry and OBJ are here and healthy. (If OBJ gets traded, it would change a lot and WR would be taken much earlier). 

    So, considering the needs, WR won't be taken in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd. 

    Here are some WRs who could be there when they'd be willing to grab one. 

    Van Jefferson, UF - great route runner, sweet feet, good size. Knows how to used every trick in the book, a little old (24) not overly athletic. Has a low ceiling. Could be a solid contributor. 

    Jalen Reagor, TCU -  Explosive with control. Looks like a good slot prospect.

     KJ Hamler, PSU -  Small, but quick. Translates to the slot in the NFL. Can add some bulk and probably needs to. 

    BRYAN EDWARDS, Sout Car. - Big, productive, has some drop issues when he loses focus. But the kid can play. 

    Chase Claypool, ND - His physical measurable out of this world, 6-4, 240 lbs, with 4.42 speed. Those #'s will get him drafted higher than he probably deserves. Is kind of stiff, no wiggle after the catch, but that's a big dude who can just flat out haul ass down the field. 

    WR Quartney Davis, TX A&M - Slot guy. 

    Agree....4th round at absolute earliest.    Per PFF which Tour linked in another thread, they have Hamler with a 2d round grade.  If in fact we look WR with our  #115 pick.....some additional names to consider:  Isaiah Coulter  Rhode Island;  Antonio-Gandy-Golden, Liberty;  Duvernay of Texas. 

  • We are keeping OBJ unless we are incredibly stupid.  Landry is a slot guy.  I hear talk around here that we don’t have a slot-  hello??? That’s Landry. He’s just well rounded. 
     

    I love Austin Mack.  I think he came to OSU got a little humbled worked his way to a spot were he wasn’t Ultra productive but he caught the ball, ran polished professional routes (probably learned a lot from B Hartline) and has the build to be a factor on the outside and in the red zone. 
     

    Cephus (Wisconsin) and Bowden (Kentucky) two others I’d consider. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Cephus (Wisconsin)

    If this guy's off-the-field incident checks out (he was suspended, then reinstated earlier in his UW career) I'd be all over this. Cephus was Wisconsin's passing attack. Ohio State really struggled in the Big Ten Championship covering him. 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    If we're going off Longhorn receivers, I'm quite partial to Colin Johnson.   He's like Limas Sweed, only better.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Cephus (Wisconsin)

    If this guy's off-the-field incident checks out (he was suspended, then reinstated earlier in his UW career) I'd be all over this. Cephus was Wisconsin's passing attack. Ohio State really struggled in the Big Ten Championship covering him. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @dutch-oven said:

    If this guy's off-the-field incident checks out (he was suspended, then reinstated earlier in his UW career) I'd be all over this. Cephus was Wisconsin's passing attack. Ohio State really struggled in the Big Ten Championship covering him. 

    Oregon game Rose Bowl too.

    plays a lot like Jarvis Landry.  Ran a slow 40 like Jarvis too 

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #16

    How high? 4th or after..but the biggest found misses of Mocking, are found by taking needs over not knowing who's still left on the board at other position of need... Ratley or Khadarel Hodge is our WR3..finding above this in this draft can't be that hard.. and i still have high hopes in DJ Montgomery that might be better than both of them..

    We still may not see a Deandre Hopkins nor a Michael Thomas in this draft class.. But I still like to compare their Combine math to the new draftees..I try to find much needed weapons in the 6'1 to 6'3 with around 10" hand size like both, with arms & verts that are very similar too..both ran a 4.57 40, but both 3 cones & short shuttles were outstanding..none of this has considered the game tape/stats/nor route trees..but i can see many names from many rounds with same metrics math...

    My above compared favorites...Justin Jefferson...Chase Claypool...Denzel Mims and Oregon's Juwan Johnson? 

    Sleepers that might see round 4 and after.. Golden Gandy..Stephen Guidry...Isiah Hodgins..Peoples-Jones(a 44.5" vert is not heard of)..Michael Pittman..Austin Mack...Kendrick Rogers...Ben Victor..Dezmon Patmon 

    Edit--Lawrence Cager..Bryan Edwards..Laviska Shenault jr..Clem.-Tee Higgins...Fla.-Van Jefferson...Texas-Collin Johnson...and Minn-Tyler Johnson... may all slip by not doing drills at combine & never saw a pro day...

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Considering the big contracts that will have to be considered for the young guys already on the roster, I can't see OBJ and/or Landry staying on the Browns past this season. Maybe one, but not both. Browns need to get them a potential starter at WR. 

  • @icecube said:

    To simplify the discussion, I am going to assume #10 will be used on a LT, as it is a huge need AND this draft is loaded with guys who look like stalwarts at the position. Of course, you never know, but I'm gonna make that assumption. I'm also going to assume both Landry and OBJ are here and healthy. (If OBJ gets traded, it would change a lot and WR would be taken much earlier). 

    So, considering the needs, WR won't be taken in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd. 

    Here are some WRs who could be there when they'd be willing to grab one. 

    Van Jefferson, UF - great route runner, sweet feet, good size. Knows how to used every trick in the book, a little old (24) not overly athletic. Has a low ceiling. Could be a solid contributor. 

    Jalen Reagor, TCU -  Explosive with control. Looks like a good slot prospect.

     KJ Hamler, PSU -  Small, but quick. Translates to the slot in the NFL. Can add some bulk and probably needs to. 

    BRYAN EDWARDS, Sout Car. - Big, productive, has some drop issues when he loses focus. But the kid can play. 

    Chase Claypool, ND - His physical measurable out of this world, 6-4, 240 lbs, with 4.42 speed. Those #'s will get him drafted higher than he probably deserves. Is kind of stiff, no wiggle after the catch, but that's a big dude who can just flat out haul ass down the field. 

    WR Quartney Davis, TX A&M - Slot guy. 

    Agree....4th round at absolute earliest.    Per PFF which Tour linked in another thread, they have Hamler with a 2d round grade.  If in fact we look WR with our  #115 pick.....some additional names to consider:  Isaiah Coulter  Rhode Island;  Antonio-Gandy-Golden, Liberty;  Duvernay of Texas. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @the-gipper said:

    Agree....4th round at absolute earliest.    Per PFF which Tour linked in another thread, they have Hamler with a 2d round grade.  If in fact we look WR with our  #115 pick.....some additional names to consider:  Isaiah Coulter  Rhode Island;  Antonio-Gandy-Golden, Liberty;  Duvernay of Texas. 

    As deep as the draft is in WR, 4th would be a good spot. But we also have that very late compensatory pick in the 3rd. That would not surprise me if we use it for a particular one we think might be gone if we wait until #115. Whatever we do please no more early reaches like Corbett or Tico Taco!!?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Agree....4th round at absolute earliest.    Per PFF which Tour linked in another thread, they have Hamler with a 2d round grade.  If in fact we look WR with our  #115 pick.....some additional names to consider:  Isaiah Coulter  Rhode Island;  Antonio-Gandy-Golden, Liberty;  Duvernay of Texas. 

    As deep as the draft is in WR, 4th would be a good spot. But we also have that very late compensatory pick in the 3rd. That would not surprise me if we use it for a particular one we think might be gone if we wait until #115. Whatever we do please no more early reaches like Corbett or Tico Taco!!?

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @texasag1969 said:

    As deep as the draft is in WR, 4th would be a good spot. But we also have that very late compensatory pick in the 3rd. That would not surprise me if we use it for a particular one we think might be gone if we wait until #115. Whatever we do please no more early reaches like Corbett or Tico Taco!!?

    I've read a few people take shots at Takitaki, but didn't he grade out much higher than the guy everyone seems to love in Mack Wilson? 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    As deep as the draft is in WR, 4th would be a good spot. But we also have that very late compensatory pick in the 3rd. That would not surprise me if we use it for a particular one we think might be gone if we wait until #115. Whatever we do please no more early reaches like Corbett or Tico Taco!!?

    I've read a few people take shots at Takitaki, but didn't he grade out much higher than the guy everyone seems to love in Mack Wilson? 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @dutch-oven said:

    I've read a few people take shots at Takitaki, but didn't he grade out much higher than the guy everyone seems to love in Mack Wilson? 

    Hopefully both of them make vast improvements in the games now in their second years.   We need them to,  they are both penciled in as starters,  and unless we go for a top LB in the draft....they are going to the guys we will be relying on.  (along with FA Goodson).

    Can we go into this year with   Goodson/Takitaki/Wilson/Willie Harvey  as the core or our LB corps?   (pun intended).   IMO:  we need to draft another guy. 

  • If we're going off Longhorn receivers, I'm quite partial to Colin Johnson.   He's like Limas Sweed, only better.

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @tiamat63 said:

    If we're going off Longhorn receivers, I'm quite partial to Colin Johnson.   He's like Limas Sweed, only better.

    Wait...if he's anything like Limas Sweed, run, don't walk. He was a huge bust in Pit. Just horrible. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    If we're going off Longhorn receivers, I'm quite partial to Colin Johnson.   He's like Limas Sweed, only better.

    Wait...if he's anything like Limas Sweed, run, don't walk. He was a huge bust in Pit. Just horrible. 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @icecube said:

    Wait...if he's anything like Limas Sweed, run, don't walk. He was a huge bust in Pit. Just horrible. 

    I guess the sarcasm wasn't really that evident in my post...?