Skip to content

DRAFT DAY 2020 ! ! !

The Browns Board
382 41 9.6k
  • @tour2ma said:

    Last time I shill for you.... bucko... 😉

    Here's a thought, h... sell a couple bottles...

    I actually own a bottle of that '90 Petrus Tour, and I do have a friends & family buyer for it that I'm selling it to at a discount. At $145 dollars an ounce, too rich for my blood. 

    My opinion on that- I could enjoy it for an hour or so, or have it pay for my Browns season tickets. Not a tough decision. FWIW, I've been fortunate enough to be able to taste on several occasions (and not on my nickel) wines that were in the four figure range if they had been sold instead. Trust me, they weren't 10 times better than $100 dollar bottles, or in some cases not even better than $50 wines. At that rarefied level you're drinking rarity and "prestige". Or you're not too bright. A great example of that is "Ace of Spades" champagne owned by Jay Z. At $300+ bucks a bottle one expert taster said you could do as well for $70. 

    On a personal level, I was asked to do a Christmas champagne tasting for the local American Wine Society. So I pulled Dom Perignon and Moet's one step down Vintage Brut- at 1\3 the price, served them side by side- but the folks didn't know which was which, or even the producer. Which do you like better? It split right down the middle- so at three times the price, wasn't worth it. I even have a name for it when I teach a wine class. Larry's Logarithmic Law of diminishing returns.  🙂

    @hoorta said:

    On a personal level

    All I know is you did a great job in Naples... 😉

  • I wonder if we go safety or LB? Maybe DT? Ross Blacklock? 

    A few intriguing safeties like McKinney, Delpit, Davis, Winfield, and Chinn.

    LB Akeem Davis-Gaither is an interesting player.. assuming Zack Baun is drafted before #41 he might be worth a look with the 3rd rounder.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I wonder if we go safety or LB? Maybe DT? Ross Blacklock? 

    A few intriguing safeties like McKinney, Delpit, Davis, Winfield, and Chinn.

    LB Akeem Davis-Gaither is an interesting player.. assuming Zack Baun is drafted before #41 he might be worth a look with the 3rd rounder.

    With OT crossed off the list I have to believe LB and Safety are priorities and heading into Day 2... and since that coincides with the talent values it's going to work out well.

    • Chinn is my Round 2 target at #41. Really fits the hybrid LB role out of the gate, can play as a traditional SS if needed, and looks like he will literally grow into a full time LB in time.
    • I love Davis, but have to hope he falls to us in the 3rd... unless Chinn is off the board at 41... then Davis please... 🙂 
    • Don't know Akeem, but Baun doesn't look like a scheme fit to me. Troy Dye and our Buckeye, Harrison, are on my LB wish list in that order.

    There are a couple other Day 2, position players I covet, but need would squeeze them out of consideration relative to the above.

  • Ruggs in a robe was wierd. I think l prefer this draft format. Also Tua’s fam with their lays and seeming total lack of emotion was curious.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Ruggs in a robe was wierd. I think l prefer this draft format. Also Tua’s fam with their lays and seeming total lack of emotion was curious.

    I watched while having a friend on a call. We were like "Wtf, show some emotion!!!" It was funny, lol. 

  • image.png.40f2aa17447abf792ca77f757802e450.png

    I know FO's say this all the time about whomever they take, but somehow I believe DePo.

    @tour2ma said:

    image.png.40f2aa17447abf792ca77f757802e450.png

    I know FO's say this all the time about whomever they take, but somehow I believe DePo.

    You don't say... ?

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Man I’m glad how we drafted but good lord Becton is a grown ass man. Could you imagine seeing 6’8 dude running at you with 5.0 speed? Holy God.

    I could also imagine the kid who couldn't refrain from smoking weed in the time leading up to the most important job interview in his life to balloon up to 400lbs, too. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I could also imagine the kid who couldn't refrain from smoking weed in the time leading up to the most important job interview in his life to balloon up to 400lbs, too. 

    Eh, it’s pretty obvious nfl types don’t care as much about the weed. New bargaining agreement lowered bans specifically for it too.

    to make it clear I did not want the browns to draft him. High as balls or not, that doesn’t change that 6’8 370 pound man could full speed run at you at a 5.1 pace. That’s a GTFO the way if he’s lead dog on a screen.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    1. .. Wills has been working all off season to switch to LT. that is kinda obvious, I suppose - and it's an outstanding pick.
    2. I thought for sure he'd be gone to the Giants, but they picked Thomas Simmons.
    3. It does occur to me - what in the.... happened to Josh Jones? he's THAT raw? Houston is THAT bad an offense? red flags show up?
    4. Second round- no idea. Safeties/lb/wr is my guess - might Mckinney fall to the Browns?
    1. Not surprising especially since I am sure that most teasms who talked to him at the Combine likely asked him how he felt about a move to LT... where 1st round OTs are generally tabbed to play.
    2. FIFY... no charge... 😉
    3. Hard to know if anything went on behind the scene, but it looks like MIA went for "upside" they thought they saw in the case of Jackson and TN saw in Wilson a man/gap guy bull-dozing for Henry. I still see Jones as having the higher floor, but he's not a scheme fit for TN. I think Jackson is going to get Fitz/Tua killed and while Wilson will blow open some holes he's going to get Tannehill dented a few times.
    4. The way things got scrambled up in the bottom half of Round 1... who knows? McKinney might fall thru us...

    Edit... and Wirfs is going to supply TB12 with more "look out" blocks than he'll want.

    @tour2ma said:

    1. Not surprising especially since I am sure that most teasms who talked to him at the Combine likely asked him how he felt about a move to LT... where 1st round OTs are generally tabbed to play.
    2. FIFY... no charge... 😉
    3. Hard to know if anything went on behind the scene, but it looks like MIA went for "upside" they thought they saw in the case of Jackson and TN saw in Wilson a man/gap guy bull-dozing for Henry. I still see Jones as having the higher floor, but he's not a scheme fit for TN. I think Jackson is going to get Fitz/Tua killed and while Wilson will blow open some holes he's going to get Tannehill dented a few times.
    4. The way things got scrambled up in the bottom half of Round 1... who knows? McKinney might fall thru us...

    Edit... and Wirfs is going to supply TB12 with more "look out" blocks than he'll want.

    Well said.  

    Aside from Jones not being a scheme fit for TN, they're very happy with Taylor Lewan at LT.  I wouldn't understand the redundancy if they chose Jones.  TN lost their RT in FA to us so they drafted a RT (Wilson).  Makes sense...

    My guess with Jones, isn't that he's raw (4 year starter at LT).  It could be the old school concerns of what type of competition was he up against most of the time. I think it's more than a coincidence that all of the 1st round Tackles came from the major Conferences (SEC, Big 10, Pac 12, ACC). Most of the teams with the urgency to draft a LT in round 1 seem to want an immediate starter. That said, Aus-tone Jackson seems like he's less polished than Jones IMO. 

    In the 2 Draft Guides I have, Lindy's has Jones rated as the 9th best Tackle while Athlon's rates him as the 7th best (these guides merged RTs into their ratings so Isaiah Wilson was listed ahead of him in both publications). Both sources have Jones going in round 2.

    The draft doesn't end on Thursday...  There's going to be a lot of successful players drafted tonight and tomorrow with no reason Jones can't be one of them.   FWIW, we've also found some Undrafted FAs that became reliable starters like LT Tony (T-Bone) Jones and RT Orlando Brown (the 1st time he was here).  When we used to make the playoffs, we did well in the later rounds.  For example, RT Cody Risien from TAMU in round 7 who was a Second Team All Pro in 83 and made Pro Bowls in 86 and 87.  The era we're in doesn't have as many buried treasures that late - but guys like Peart and Jones should be good draft picks for someone...

  • a friend in NC texted me, and asked who the Browns would pick while they were on the clock, I said "Wills, but he plays RT" ?

    and he said Wills has been working all off season to switch to LT. that is kinda obvious, I suppose - and it's an outstanding pick. I thought for sure he'd be gone to the Giants, but they picked Simmons.

       It does occur to me - what in the.... happened to Josh Jones? he's THAT raw? Houston is THAT bad an offense? red flags show up?

    I'm surprised at that one. I liked this draft - much faster.

    Seems pretty consistent that character played a good part of the first round prospects drafted. A lot of great stories...

    I'm not going to be surprised if Wills starts at LT - he's a great pick and has already been working on it. I'm good with that.

    Second round- no idea. Safeties/lb/wr is my guess - might Mckinney fall to the Browns?

    @calfoxwc said:

    I'm surprised at that one. I liked this draft - much faster.

    Seems pretty consistent that character played a good part of the first round prospects drafted. A lot of great stories...

    I'm not going to be surprised if Wills starts at LT - he's a great pick and has already been working on it. I'm good with that.

    Second round- no idea. Safeties/lb/wr is my guess - might Mckinney fall to the Browns?

    I said the same thing. The speed of the picks was great, wonder if they will consider the 10 minute time frame in the future.

  • Broncos take Jerry Judy Judy Judy Judy

    @the-gipper said:

    Broncos take Jerry Judy Judy Judy Judy

    As a Broncos fan I was elated with the pick. It's perfect for their new starting QB.

  • @hoorta said:

    That three QBs went before the Browns pick helped immensely.  

    There's no chance the Browns have any interest in Williams. Too expensive. Speaking of expensive.....   

    I will now accept my virtual bottle of wine from Gipper, on the easiest bet I've ever made...   🙂  

    1990 Petrus, Pomerol

    I will get you your real one, whenever that becomes possible.    Give me some ideas  (but keep it to like 25 bucks). 

    @the-gipper said:

    I will get you your real one, whenever that becomes possible.    Give me some ideas  (but keep it to like 25 bucks). 

    Petrus vs a bottle of swill. Right!?

  • image.png.40f2aa17447abf792ca77f757802e450.png

    I know FO's say this all the time about whomever they take, but somehow I believe DePo.

    @tour2ma said:

    image.png.40f2aa17447abf792ca77f757802e450.png

    I know FO's say this all the time about whomever they take, but somehow I believe DePo.

    Me too!  Here's why.  Jedrick Wills was also the Tackle Joe Thomas picked for us in the NFL Channel's mock draft - despite the fact Andrew Thomas was also available at the time he did so. 

    I get the feeling Joe was a consulting/influential part of Wills being "the top tackle on our board from the beginning" consensus within.

  • @tour2ma said:

    image.png.40f2aa17447abf792ca77f757802e450.png

    I know FO's say this all the time about whomever they take, but somehow I believe DePo.

    You don't say... ?

    @dutch-oven said:

    You don't say... ?

    This guy's a bigger stud than the kid that power glued Stiffler's mom. 

  • image.png.40f2aa17447abf792ca77f757802e450.png

    I know FO's say this all the time about whomever they take, but somehow I believe DePo.

    @tour2ma said:

    image.png.40f2aa17447abf792ca77f757802e450.png

    I know FO's say this all the time about whomever they take, but somehow I believe DePo.

    When the "pick is in" went up I told my Son in Law that, as fast as they announced the pick was in, he HAD to be the Browns absolute #1 guy. I don't know WHEN I ever saw a quicker decision. The young man, Fletcher, introducing the Browns' pick was a nice touch.

    Mike

  • @tour2ma said:

    image.png.40f2aa17447abf792ca77f757802e450.png

    I know FO's say this all the time about whomever they take, but somehow I believe DePo.

    Me too!  Here's why.  Jedrick Wills was also the Tackle Joe Thomas picked for us in the NFL Channel's mock draft - despite the fact Andrew Thomas was also available at the time he did so. 

    I get the feeling Joe was a consulting/influential part of Wills being "the top tackle on our board from the beginning" consensus within.

    @flugel said:

    Me too!  Here's why.  Jedrick Wills was also the Tackle Joe Thomas picked for us in the NFL Channel's mock draft - despite the fact Andrew Thomas was also available at the time he did so. 

    I get the feeling Joe was a consulting/influential part of Wills being "the top tackle on our board from the beginning" consensus within.

    When he did that I was very afraid he had tipped our hand and was sending Wills to another smart team before our pick. Must have been the ole double reverse psychology at work. ?

  • Per Jeff Legwold   ESPN writer

    First round talent still on the board starting round 2:

    20. D'Andre Swift  RB  Georgia

    21. Xavier McKinney  S  Alabama

    22. Yetur Gross-Matos Edge  Penn St.

    23. AJ Epenesa Edge Iowa

    24. Tee Higgins WR  Clemson

    25.  Ross Blacklock  DT TCU

    29.  Zack Baun  LB  Wisconsin

    32. Jalen Hurts  CB  Utah.

    @the-gipper said:

    32. Jalen Hurts  CB  Utah.

    32. Jalen Johnson CB Utah.... 

    EDIT-- There are some great video phone player reactions out there, that I hope the nfl keeps moving these legit home video cameras around to next rounds..It's been great, but the media guys we've heard from for months, just ain't doing it for me anymore ?... Let these kids get a breather than let them speak.. The reaction of Joe Thomas reacting to Wills pick? Yep! I Cried in laughter ?

  • Chiefs take  Clyde  Edwards-Helaire RB  LSU  with #32 pick.

    @the-gipper said:

    Chiefs take  Clyde  Edwards-Helaire RB  LSU  with #32 pick.

    This was one of the really great picks in the draft. He has so much ability catching out of the backfield and so many "getaway" moves in the open field and power to finish off the play. He is a perfect fit for Mahomes's style of play. They are going to be even better than last year with that pick alone.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Chiefs take  Clyde  Edwards-Helaire RB  LSU  with #32 pick.

    This was one of the really great picks in the draft. He has so much ability catching out of the backfield and so many "getaway" moves in the open field and power to finish off the play. He is a perfect fit for Mahomes's style of play. They are going to be even better than last year with that pick alone.

    @texasag1969 said:

    This was one of the really great picks in the draft. He has so much ability catching out of the backfield and so many "getaway" moves in the open filed and power to finish off the play. He is a perfect fit for Mahomes's style of play. They are going to be even better than last year with that pick alone.

    Yeah... until that Oline play catches up with them again like it did in the regular season.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    This was one of the really great picks in the draft. He has so much ability catching out of the backfield and so many "getaway" moves in the open filed and power to finish off the play. He is a perfect fit for Mahomes's style of play. They are going to be even better than last year with that pick alone.

    Yeah... until that Oline play catches up with them again like it did in the regular season.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Yeah... until that Oline play catches up with them again like it did in the regular season.

    Like I said-the Mahomes style of play. He makes everything out of nothing and finds open receivers. When you win a SB that way, it kind of negates weaknesses doesn't it??

  • @the-gipper said:

    Chiefs take  Clyde  Edwards-Helaire RB  LSU  with #32 pick.

    This was one of the really great picks in the draft. He has so much ability catching out of the backfield and so many "getaway" moves in the open field and power to finish off the play. He is a perfect fit for Mahomes's style of play. They are going to be even better than last year with that pick alone.

    @texasag1969 said:

    This was one of the really great picks in the draft. 

    why did i see another Mark Ingram flash after the Holaire pick..saying Big Trust ? ( damm i drank to much!)

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Yeah... until that Oline play catches up with them again like it did in the regular season.

    Like I said-the Mahomes style of play. He makes everything out of nothing and finds open receivers. When you win a SB that way, it kind of negates weaknesses doesn't it??

    @texasag1969 said:

    Like I said-the Mahomes style of play. He makes everything out of nothing and finds open receivers. When you win a SB that way, it kind of negates weaknesses doesn't it??

    No, it doesn't.   Sophomore starting year and he's already missing games regular season because of taking hits that his Oline allows.   Long term trends don't side with that style of play.  If KC feels their defense is adequate enough to get it done, then I'm cool with that.  But they would be wise to address their Oline Day 2.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Like I said-the Mahomes style of play. He makes everything out of nothing and finds open receivers. When you win a SB that way, it kind of negates weaknesses doesn't it??

    No, it doesn't.   Sophomore starting year and he's already missing games regular season because of taking hits that his Oline allows.   Long term trends don't side with that style of play.  If KC feels their defense is adequate enough to get it done, then I'm cool with that.  But they would be wise to address their Oline Day 2.

    @tiamat63 said:

    No, it doesn't.   Sophomore starting year and he's already missing games regular season because of taking hits that his Oline allows.   Long term trends don't side with that style of play.  If KC feels their defense is adequate enough to get it done, then I'm cool with that.  But they would be wise to address their Oline Day 2.

    I don't disagree with day 2 OL pick. I'm just saying this is a quick release safety valve who can do wonders in that role. Don't want the big hit? Get rid of it to him.

    Besides we all know those big fatties are a dime a dozen don't we???

    EDIT: That is why I hope we take a similar player in Duvernay of UT-Austin as our comp pick in the 3rd.