Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. 39 Years

39 Years

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
38 Posts 19 Posters 2.5k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • smash5355 S
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    S smash5355 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I, am looking forward to the 2009 NFL season and the Browns I have been a fan now for 39 years why torture yourself I ask myself, but they are an addiction. I have tried my very best to kick the habit but I still love them Browns and can't wait for another year with them.

    W B Kosar_For_PresidentK 3 Replies Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • S smash5355

      I, am looking forward to the 2009 NFL season and the Browns I have been a fan now for 39 years why torture yourself I ask myself, but they are an addiction. I have tried my very best to kick the habit but I still love them Browns and can't wait for another year with them.

      WPB Dawg Fan W
      • 1k Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
      #2

      @smash5355 said:

      I, am looking forward to the 2009 NFL season and the Browns I have been a fan now for 39 years why torture yourself I ask myself, but they are an addiction. I have tried my very best to kick the habit but I still love them Browns and can't wait for another year with them.

      I think you are going to find 39 years is a short time compared to many on this board. I am on 45 years and still consider myself a newbie.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • S smash5355

        I, am looking forward to the 2009 NFL season and the Browns I have been a fan now for 39 years why torture yourself I ask myself, but they are an addiction. I have tried my very best to kick the habit but I still love them Browns and can't wait for another year with them.

        Brownshirt B
        • 237 Posts
        • 1 Reputation
        B Brownshirt wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @smash5355 said:

        I, am looking forward to the 2009 NFL season and the Browns I have been a fan now for 39 years why torture yourself I ask myself, but they are an addiction. I have tried my very best to kick the habit but I still love them Browns and can't wait for another year with them.

        53 or more (who's counting?) I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!!!

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Canton Mike Canton MikeC
          • 4k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by Canton Mike
          #4

          I'm at 53 too.

          We may be old & stupid, but BY GOD we are LOYAL!!! I am sick of "fairweather fans" that hop on any winning teams bandwagon. Our Browns were good long ago & they will be good again (soon, I think). When the good times DO come, we can proudly say we stuck with OUR team through the good AND bad years! We'll have our time in the sun again.

          GO BROWNS!!!

          Mike

          IN DORSEY I TRUST
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Browns2405 B
            • 148 Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            B Browns2405 wrote on last edited by
            #5

            I was a small child during "the drive" and "the fumble" so I haven't been around to see much of the glory days. Just reruns of the good times. I'm hoping that I can have some good things to talk about and I'm hoping it starts with this season as a positive step forward.

            [
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Brownshirt B
              • 237 Posts
              • 1 Reputation
              B Brownshirt wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @inspecta said:

              Well now I don't feel so bad that I'm at around 25 years. It feels like forever for me, I can't imagine how you old farts get pumped for a season.... 😉

              We're close inspecta 60 in September, can't flippin belive it.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • daddybull1 D
                • 384 Posts
                • 19 Reputation
                D daddybull1 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                I hate to admit it but I'm an old fart.... I attended my 1st Browns game in 1953 at the stadium.... I think the Browns beat the Steelers that day something like 30 to 10... So I'm going on 56 years of being a Browns fan...

                BTW, Browns 2405, those weren't the glory years, they were the years of frustration... The glory years were the 50's and early 60's.... We were unbeatable in the 50"s, played in like 9 of 10 championship games...We won the NFL title in 64 (the super bowl of today) and could have won the first few super bowls if Jim Brown doesn't retire early....

                I've been rooting for my Browns for 56 years and wouldn't have it any other way.... Cough, cough weeze, weeze----Go Browns !!!!!

                Peace

                T.Dawg

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 9k Posts
                  • 2k Reputation
                  ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  I figure you can't be a real fan until you can read some of the sports section and start trading player cards, so i have always pegged 7-8 as the age a person can become a real fan....so, 53 or so years here.

                  If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • dencyguy D
                    • 481 Posts
                    • 0 Reputation
                    D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    I'm probably in the minority here, but I can remember the exact day I became a Browns fan. I came to it kind of late, but the first football game I ever watched was the wildcard game with the Oilers (December 24, 1988)--I was ten at the time--and I was hooked immediately. I still remember shouting at the T.V. about the forward lateral play, then looking at my dad and saying something along the lines of, "I should be mad about that, right?" He took me to my first game the next year--a loss to the Steelers--and the Browns have been breaking my heart ever since.

                    Dennis

                    D 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 9k Posts
                      • 2k Reputation
                      ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
                      #10

                      Good stuff....and that is a realistic age....people who say they were born in to it are kidding themselves....it sounds good, but it isn't realistic.

                      If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Legacy Fan Legacy FanL
                        • 3k Posts
                        • 197 Reputation
                        Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        I was absolutely born into it. My dad is a fan, and that's who we watched. My memories, however, start with Kosar, Mack, Byner, Slaughter, Michael Dean, Dixon (my jersey for Lacrosse in HS & college was always 29) and the rest of our last "good" team.

                        Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck. -Don Shula
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Riffer X Riffer XR Very Popular Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 3k Posts
                          • 127 Reputation
                          Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          I can't really remember what made me a Ctown fan in general, I guess it was just the way it's supposed to be. My old man wasn't a big believer in sports, just didn't see the purpose of it. However, he always watched the Browns and I remember singing the National Anthem before games at about six being all pumped up. I was die hard pretty early and took losses hard.

                          By about ten I was a junkie on sports from magazines to the paper, cards etc. I locked myself in my room watching Buckeye BB games, Cavs and Tribe games like a religion. Going to Browns games about once a year meant more to me than any amusement park, vacation or anything. I loved it. Coming up I90 to the Shoreway just waiting for the first peek at the stadium, good times. One of my first games was Turkey Joe spiking Bradshaw.

                          Greg Pruitt was electrifying, and being forty he was the first big name for me. I just missed Leroy Kelley, but man did I love that shit. Hell, going to exhibition basketball games with Browns players against HS teams was a highlight.

                          I just don't get how someone can be born in an area and root for another team, it doesn't compute with me.

                          Is a pig's ass pork?
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • smash5355 S
                            • 6 Posts
                            • 0 Reputation
                            S smash5355 wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            I, couldn't agree more these people who call them swelves fans and move on or tag along after a few wins then call themselves life long fans really don't understand. As far as the comment that 39 years compared to others on the board I can't help it because I am not as old as some of the other fans, my point is I have stayed loyal all these years.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • SoCalBrownsFan SoCalBrownsFanS
                              • 448 Posts
                              • 0 Reputation
                              SoCalBrownsFanS SoCalBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              35 years for me.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 20k Posts
                                • 5k Reputation
                                hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                Well, count me among the old guys- Been a Browns fan as long as I can remember, but my first football memory is of the "Greatest Game ever Played". That was the Colts-Giants Championship game in 1957. Too bad I'm a tad too young to remember the Otto Graham years, can you guys fathom the hype that would be generated today if a quarterback played in nine straight Super Bowls for the same team? That's what Graham did.

                                For the newcomers on this board, I've always said one of my greatest regrets in life is I didn't blow $10 of my paper route money in 1964 and hop on a bus and take in the Championship Game at the Stadium. You young 'uns might find it hard to believe, but the game didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland- and even more unbelievably, there is (at least to my knowledge) no extant tape- digital or otherwise of the complete game- only highlights!

                                The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • Furnier FurnierF
                                  • 544 Posts
                                  • 33 Reputation
                                  FurnierF Furnier wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  This will be 40th season as a Browns fan....Guess my number 40 jerseys will apply this season.

                                  I was bored one Sunday....flipping channels and came across the Browns getting shut out by the Broncos (oh the irony). Despite that poor showing I was ready for next week immediately. I was hooked that quick. It's been a heartbreaking love affair ever since and I ain't going anywhere.

                                  Doug

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 9k Posts
                                    • 2k Reputation
                                    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                                    #17
                                    My memories, however, start with Kosar,

                                    Good deal, and that is my only point.

                                    We may have been born in Cleveland, or in to families where being a fan was enevitable, but if we are 30, we haven't been a fan for 30 years...there is a lag period....be it the 7 years I mentioned or the 5 years of another.

                                    A 3 year old as an example doesn't sit down and watch a complete game.

                                    None the less, it doesn't matter how long we have been fans. By the sounds of it we have been loyal fans, and that is the true measure.

                                    Go Browns

                                    If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
                                      • 28k Posts
                                      • 6k Reputation
                                      DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      This is all I could find on the game:

                                      "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • Bob806 Bob806B Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                        • 5k Posts
                                        • 2k Reputation
                                        Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        I'm 46- first game I saw in person was vs. Cincy in 1972, we won 27-6...I was addicted immediately. I remember Boobie Clark not fielding the opening kickoff, we recovered at the 5 yard line. By 1979, I bought season tickets with money from my PD route, tickets were only $6 per game in the bleachers (pre-Dawg Pound era).

                                        Go Browns!!! We are overdue..

                                        Karlis Missed
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • S smash5355

                                          I, am looking forward to the 2009 NFL season and the Browns I have been a fan now for 39 years why torture yourself I ask myself, but they are an addiction. I have tried my very best to kick the habit but I still love them Browns and can't wait for another year with them.

                                          Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
                                          • 6k Posts
                                          • 221 Reputation
                                          Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @smash5355 said:

                                          I, am looking forward to the 2009 NFL season and the Browns I have been a fan now for 39 years why torture yourself I ask myself, but they are an addiction. I have tried my very best to kick the habit but I still love them Browns and can't wait for another year with them.

                                          I'm almost there my friend.

                                          Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate