39 Years
-
My memories, however, start with Kosar,
Good deal, and that is my only point.
We may have been born in Cleveland, or in to families where being a fan was enevitable, but if we are 30, we haven't been a fan for 30 years...there is a lag period....be it the 7 years I mentioned or the 5 years of another.
A 3 year old as an example doesn't sit down and watch a complete game.
None the less, it doesn't matter how long we have been fans. By the sounds of it we have been loyal fans, and that is the true measure.
Go Browns
-
This is all I could find on the game:
-
I'm 46- first game I saw in person was vs. Cincy in 1972, we won 27-6...I was addicted immediately. I remember Boobie Clark not fielding the opening kickoff, we recovered at the 5 yard line. By 1979, I bought season tickets with money from my PD route, tickets were only $6 per game in the bleachers (pre-Dawg Pound era).
Go Browns!!! We are overdue..
-
I, am looking forward to the 2009 NFL season and the Browns I have been a fan now for 39 years why torture yourself I ask myself, but they are an addiction. I have tried my very best to kick the habit but I still love them Browns and can't wait for another year with them.
I, am looking forward to the 2009 NFL season and the Browns I have been a fan now for 39 years why torture yourself I ask myself, but they are an addiction. I have tried my very best to kick the habit but I still love them Browns and can't wait for another year with them.
I'm almost there my friend.
-
That's cool man, I was 15 years old when I became a fan I was watching a game on CBS, the game was being called by Ray Scott. I then fell in love first with Leroy Kelly and then the whole team and the rest is as they say is history. GO BROWNS!!!!!, oh yes I live in Indiana about 45 minutes north of Indianapolis you would not believe the crap I get.
-
Well, it’s an easy count for me. I’m from Italy and we Italians, as you all know are soccer addicted but a small minority love American football. My first game (on TV of course) was 1982 SB between 49ers and Bengals. I used to watch a couple of games every week but I did not have any favourite team. Yes, I had developed a certain sympathy for the Bears but nothing special. I remember the excitement in watching John Elway drive over the Browns one Sunday night in the 1987 AFC Championship. At the end of the game I remember feeling sorry for the fans in the standings for such a bitter ending.
So, come January 17 the following year, I was sitting in front on my TV saying to myself “this is going to be the revenge for the Browns”. Well, it was about to be if it were not for a player, a fairly good one by the way, that happened to fumble the football a couple of yards before crossing the endzone.
I remember being speechless after the game. I could not even think of going to bed (it was quite late at night in Italy) ‘cause I felt devastated for those fans, even more than the year before.
Without knowing it I had just joined the multitude of orange and brown fans. Even from that far away.
Now it’s easy being a fan of an NFL team, in the internet era you’re just one click away from your favourite team. During the move to Baltimore it was almost impossible to obtain information on what was happening in Cleveland. My hopes to ever see the Browns again were about to fade away when I bumped into an issue of USA Today that published an article talking about Cleveland being awarded an expansion team in 1999.
Then internet era came. And now I can sit in front of NFL Game Pass live games on Sunday nights, chatting in the Browns Tavern with you guys.
So, despite being 45 now, I can only say I’ve been a Browns fan from January 17 1988 which makes it 21 and a half years. Not bad for an Italian soccer addicted, huh?

-
The maximum period of "torture" for anyone can only be 45 years, as that is how long it has been since the Browns....or any Cleveland major league team has won a title. (I don't count indoor soccer as major league).
And yes, I have lived long enough to endure the full 45 years.
I recall the 1964 NFL title game. It was blacked out here because it was a home game. (All home games...sold out or not were blacked out then). It was replayed the following Monday Night. It got such good ratings that the NFL got it in their heads that Monday night might not be a bad time to broadcast a football game. 5-6 years later that became a reality.
-
@planet-0range said:
I was 5 in my sig pic. So Im counting since then. 21 years. Love my Browns.If that is you in the photo, way cool shot!
-
Well, count me among the old guys- Been a Browns fan as long as I can remember, but my first football memory is of the "Greatest Game ever Played". That was the Colts-Giants Championship game in 1957. Too bad I'm a tad too young to remember the Otto Graham years, can you guys fathom the hype that would be generated today if a quarterback played in nine straight Super Bowls for the same team? That's what Graham did.
For the newcomers on this board, I've always said one of my greatest regrets in life is I didn't blow $10 of my paper route money in 1964 and hop on a bus and take in the Championship Game at the Stadium. You young 'uns might find it hard to believe, but the game didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland- and even more unbelievably, there is (at least to my knowledge) no extant tape- digital or otherwise of the complete game- only highlights!
Well, count me among the old guys- Been a Browns fan as long as I can remember, but my first football memory is of the "Greatest Game ever Played". That was the Colts-Giants Championship game in 1957. Too bad I'm a tad too young to remember the Otto Graham years, can you guys fathom the hype that would be generated today if a quarterback played in nine straight Super Bowls for the same team? That's what Graham did.
For the newcomers on this board, I've always said one of my greatest regrets in life is I didn't blow $10 of my paper route money in 1964 and hop on a bus and take in the Championship Game at the Stadium. You young 'uns might find it hard to believe, but the game didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland- and even more unbelievably, there is (at least to my knowledge) no extant tape- digital or otherwise of the complete game- only highlights!
I don't believe it "not selling out" was why it was blacked out Hoorta. I would bet you that it did sell out. They just blacked out all home games then, sellout or not. I remember having to listen to many Browns home games on the radio with Jim Graner and Gib Shanley. It wasn't because it wasn't a sellout.
-
When I started this thread about the number of years I have been watching the Browns, I didn't think the responses would be like they have been this is great. I am enjoying the replys from everyone and reading about there memorys of the team over the years, of course we all share the same pain but boy will we enjoy it when they finally do win the SUPER BOWL.
-
I had put 53 years, & I turn 63 this November....while I'm estimating, I do believe that's accurate. I agree that you can't be "born" into it, but I believe that folks who stated that were of my mind set.....that of following my Dad, Grandfather, Uncles, & their friends in their choices. Then, when old enough to REALLY decide, especially in the '50s when your home team was all you saw on a consistent basis, it was a very easy decision.
Again, I'm happy with my choice, & waiting for more glory years.
Mike
-
The maximum period of "torture" for anyone can only be 45 years, as that is how long it has been since the Browns....or any Cleveland major league team has won a title. (I don't count indoor soccer as major league).
And yes, I have lived long enough to endure the full 45 years.
I recall the 1964 NFL title game. It was blacked out here because it was a home game. (All home games...sold out or not were blacked out then). It was replayed the following Monday Night. It got such good ratings that the NFL got it in their heads that Monday night might not be a bad time to broadcast a football game. 5-6 years later that became a reality.
The maximum period of "torture" for anyone can only be 45 years, as that is how long it has been since the Browns....or any Cleveland major league team has won a title. (I don't count indoor soccer as major league).
And yes, I have lived long enough to endure the full 45 years.
I recall the 1964 NFL title game. It was blacked out here because it was a home game. (All home games...sold out or not were blacked out then). It was replayed the following Monday Night. It got such good ratings that the NFL got it in their heads that Monday night might not be a bad time to broadcast a football game. 5-6 years later that became a reality.
I remember the game well. Me and my Dad, my older brother watched the "replay" I guess. I was only 9 years old. Black and white TV, dad in his "wife beater shirt" drinking a beer, me and my brother looking at a 13 inch black and white screen screaming for the browns. Never forget it.
-
The maximum period of "torture" for anyone can only be 45 years, as that is how long it has been since the Browns....or any Cleveland major league team has won a title. (I don't count indoor soccer as major league).
And yes, I have lived long enough to endure the full 45 years.
I recall the 1964 NFL title game. It was blacked out here because it was a home game. (All home games...sold out or not were blacked out then). It was replayed the following Monday Night. It got such good ratings that the NFL got it in their heads that Monday night might not be a bad time to broadcast a football game. 5-6 years later that became a reality.
The maximum period of "torture" for anyone can only be 45 years, as that is how long it has been since the Browns....or any Cleveland major league team has won a title. (I don't count indoor soccer as major league).
And yes, I have lived long enough to endure the full 45 years.
I recall the 1964 NFL title game. It was blacked out here because it was a home game. (All home games...sold out or not were blacked out then). It was replayed the following Monday Night. It got such good ratings that the NFL got it in their heads that Monday night might not be a bad time to broadcast a football game. 5-6 years later that became a reality.
It has never been torture for me....
Indeed, it was blacked out...I had grandparents in Toledo...I drove there to watch the game.
And it was televised in Cleveland...maybe a few nights later, shown in entirety. May have been a expanded version of Ken Colemans, QB Club.
Was that on Tuesday or Wednesday?? Can't remember.
-
The maximum period of "torture" for anyone can only be 45 years, as that is how long it has been since the Browns....or any Cleveland major league team has won a title. (I don't count indoor soccer as major league).
And yes, I have lived long enough to endure the full 45 years.
I recall the 1964 NFL title game. It was blacked out here because it was a home game. (All home games...sold out or not were blacked out then). It was replayed the following Monday Night. It got such good ratings that the NFL got it in their heads that Monday night might not be a bad time to broadcast a football game. 5-6 years later that became a reality.
It has never been torture for me....
Indeed, it was blacked out...I had grandparents in Toledo...I drove there to watch the game.
And it was televised in Cleveland...maybe a few nights later, shown in entirety. May have been a expanded version of Ken Colemans, QB Club.
Was that on Tuesday or Wednesday?? Can't remember.
It has never been torture for me....
Indeed, it was blacked out...I had grandparents in Toledo...I drove there to watch the game.
And it was televised in Cleveland...maybe a few nights later, shown in entirety. May have been a expanded version of Ken Colemans, QB Club.
Was that on Tuesday or Wednesday?? Can't remember.
Yeah, it was rebroadcast on the Quarterback Club, and why I didn't watch it is beyond me- it was Christmas break at school. Unbelievable that no one at CBS or a local TV station ever saved a tape of that game.
And I'm positive the game did not sell out. The father and brother of the guy I have my season tickets with did go to the game, and I have to believe their first hand report as accurate.
-
No question it didn't sell out. That is why it was blacked out.
You could stick 82,000 in that place and there would always seems to be a few tickets that couldn't sell. There were a few seats right behind a pole nobody wanted, and I have a feeling Model always had a few folding chairs he could set up somewhere just to prevent the place from selling out. I think he viewed blackouts as a way to drive ticket sales.
I am not sure how it got in the 70's and beyond, but I know in the 60's, the only games you watched were road games. The others were games you went to see, or listened to on the radio.
-
I'm probably in the minority here, but I can remember the exact day I became a Browns fan. I came to it kind of late, but the first football game I ever watched was the wildcard game with the Oilers (December 24, 1988)--I was ten at the time--and I was hooked immediately. I still remember shouting at the T.V. about the forward lateral play, then looking at my dad and saying something along the lines of, "I should be mad about that, right?" He took me to my first game the next year--a loss to the Steelers--and the Browns have been breaking my heart ever since.
Dennis
I'm probably in the minority here, but I can remember the exact day I became a Browns fan. I came to it kind of late, but the first football game I ever watched was the wildcard game with the Oilers (December 24, 1988)--I was ten at the time--and I was hooked immediately. I still remember shouting at the T.V. about the forward lateral play, then looking at my dad and saying something along the lines of, "I should be mad about that, right?" He took me to my first game the next year--a loss to the Steelers--and the Browns have been breaking my heart ever since.
Dennis
Ha! I was at that game! The only Browns game I ever attended, 11 years old. I honestly don't remember it much, I think because my brain froze.
I would say my seminal Browns moment was the Jets game where Bernie led us back. I actually DO remember watching that one and crying when I was CERTAIN we were going to lose and then being ELATED when we came back.
Man. I don't feel passion like that for sports anymore. To be a kid again...
Guess I'll just have to get my son hooked and live it with him.

-
No question it didn't sell out. That is why it was blacked out.
You could stick 82,000 in that place and there would always seems to be a few tickets that couldn't sell. There were a few seats right behind a pole nobody wanted, and I have a feeling Model always had a few folding chairs he could set up somewhere just to prevent the place from selling out. I think he viewed blackouts as a way to drive ticket sales.
I am not sure how it got in the 70's and beyond, but I know in the 60's, the only games you watched were road games. The others were games you went to see, or listened to on the radio.
No question it didn't sell out. That is why it was blacked out.
You could stick 82,000 in that place and there would always seems to be a few tickets that couldn't sell. There were a few seats right behind a pole nobody wanted, and I have a feeling Model always had a few folding chairs he could set up somewhere just to prevent the place from selling out. I think he viewed blackouts as a way to drive ticket sales.
I am not sure how it got in the 70's and beyond, but I know in the 60's, the only games you watched were road games. The others were games you went to see, or listened to on the radio.
There was a reason those games didn't sell out. Those who were never at the old Stadium have no idea just how bad some of those seats were. Seats so close behind poles 40% of the field was obstructed. If you were in the last row of the lower deck, lotsa luck as soon as a ball got kicked, it disappeared, because the upper deck obstructed it- and when Art added those "Luxury" boxes, it got even worse. My claim to Browns history is I was at the first ever Monday Night game- and I got to see about 20% of it. I was in the first couple of rows right behind the dugouts. There was a reason no one wanted to sit there, they were always the last to sell out. They were so darn low, and so far away from the field-past the near 20 yard line you couldn't see a darn thing. Ditto sitting up in the last row of the upper deck- the players looked like ants.
-
No kidding..I went to more than a couple where you were constantly having to lean 2 feet one way or the other about half the game if you wanted a chance to see the action.
Even the uppers in the pound end had obstructed views from more than about 5-6 rows up...you couldn't see the corner of the endzone...and yeah....the other end...lol...one game I had front row uppers...right behind home plate...great baseball seats....but for football, not so good...the action seemed to be a mile away.
The people who said Muni was good enough or could have been remodeled must have never been to a football game there.
-
Back in the 70's, Euclid Ohio had cable and you could catch Brown's games south of the shoreway. I used to go to The Plaza (PLAZOO) a salt & pepper beer joint. Elbow to elbow good times. Earl's got to dead by now. Anybody been there?
-
Back in the 70's, Euclid Ohio had cable and you could catch Brown's games south of the shoreway. I used to go to The Plaza (PLAZOO) a salt & pepper beer joint. Elbow to elbow good times. Earl's got to dead by now. Anybody been there?
Back in the 70's, Euclid Ohio had cable and you could catch Brown's games south of the shoreway. I used to go to The Plaza (PLAZOO) a salt & pepper beer joint. Elbow to elbow good times. Earl's got to dead by now. Anybody been there?
I live in Euclid, where is this?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login