Draft rounds 2 and 3
-
Well, Madabuike was drafted like 20 slots ahead of Elliot. Wasn't he?
Yeah and we had a chance to draft a comp (in my view better) defensive tackle right after that and traded out of the spot.
Yes they have had more picks. That's not the point. I'm saying in my mind I feel they have had a better draft. I think they have drafted great to excellent at each spot they have picked and the browns have drafted good to great in all the spots they have picked. If one team has 14 picks in a draft and drafts 9 players I don't think will be successful and another team has 6 picks in that same draft and drafts 6 players I do think will be successful then guess what? I'm gonna say in my mind the team with 6 draft picks had the better draft. I don't get what that argument has to do with how I feel the drafts have went.
Yeah and we had a chance to draft a comp (in my view better) defensive tackle right after that and traded out of the spot.
Yes they have had more picks. That's not the point.
It IS exactly MY point. So far anyway.
I'm saying in my mind I feel they have had a better draft. I think they have drafted great to excellent at each spot they have picked and the browns have drafted good to great in all the spots they have picked. If one team has 14 picks in a draft and drafts 9 players I don't think will be successful and another team has 6 picks in that same draft and drafts 6 players I do think will be successful then guess what? I'm gonna say in my mind the team with 6 draft picks had the better draft. I don't get what that argument has to do with how I feel the drafts have went.
I am not 100% sold on our draft...nor on the Ravens draft.
I will only say this: I think it is a proven that the Ratfuckers have a guy that can coach a team to be a winner in this league. I don't know that we have that (I hope we do...now). If Stefanski doesn't prove to be any better than Freddie/Hue/Shurmur/etc.. then we are fucked...regardless of the talent on these teams....or in who each drafted.
-
Well, Madabuike was drafted like 20 slots ahead of Elliot. Wasn't he?
Yeah and we had a chance to draft a comp (in my view better) defensive tackle right after that and traded out of the spot.
Yes they have had more picks. That's not the point. I'm saying in my mind I feel they have had a better draft. I think they have drafted great to excellent at each spot they have picked and the browns have drafted good to great in all the spots they have picked. If one team has 14 picks in a draft and drafts 9 players I don't think will be successful and another team has 6 picks in that same draft and drafts 6 players I do think will be successful then guess what? I'm gonna say in my mind the team with 6 draft picks had the better draft. I don't get what that argument has to do with how I feel the drafts have went.
Yeah and we had a chance to draft a comp (in my view better) defensive tackle right after that and traded out of the spot.
Yes they have had more picks. That's not the point. I'm saying in my mind I feel they have had a better draft. I think they have drafted great to excellent at each spot they have picked and the browns have drafted good to great in all the spots they have picked. If one team has 14 picks in a draft and drafts 9 players I don't think will be successful and another team has 6 picks in that same draft and drafts 6 players I do think will be successful then guess what? I'm gonna say in my mind the team with 6 draft picks had the better draft. I don't get what that argument has to do with how I feel the drafts have went.
Anyone denying the Ravens had a great draft so far....well, m kay. The Steelers at least had a wet fart so far.
-
-
-
-
Dane Brugler had a 5th round grade on Phillips in his preview on The Athletic
Elliott seems to have good potential looking at the above and his PFF grade
-
Just to torture myself.. London, can you paste the same place's analysis of Malik Harrison?
Draft stats - worth a bookmark.
-
Just to torture myself.. London, can you paste the same place's analysis of Malik Harrison?
Draft stats - worth a bookmark.
Just to torture myself.. London, can you paste the same place's analysis of Malik Harrison?
Sure here you go
Happy to post any people want to see
-
Interesting writeups. So why did the Browns have him rated higher on their board, especially since Harrison is just a punt away from Berea? Could it be the nose for the football this team has lacked?
-
It seems like everyone likes Elliot better than the guys at ESPN (mind you, they didn't hate the pick, but felt he is an example of potential over production) which makes me a little more optimistic about the selection, but... Phillips over Harrison is a real head scratcher. Not thrilled with that.
Did WR Cephus from Wisconsin get taken yet?
-
Interesting writeups. So why did the Browns have him rated higher on their board, especially since Harrison is just a punt away from Berea? Could it be the nose for the football this team has lacked?
Interesting writeups. So why did the Browns have him rated higher on their board, especially since Harrison is just a punt away from Berea? Could it be the nose for the football this team has lacked?
it's going to be fascinating? to see how it plays out. Off hand, Harrison seems to be the better pick. It is easy to find profiles that rip Phillips. "not every down player", "lacking demeanor", "tight in hips" but "sure tackler, wraps up"....
but these Browns wouldn't have done it if they didn't know better. I guess reality is in the eye of the beholder?
Here is one write up that tells a different story -
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/lsu-lb-jacob-phillips-is-the-complete-package
"Conversely, a “complete package” player has all of the tools on and off the field that you look for at their position. One of those players in the 2020 NFL draft class? LSU junior linebacker Jacob Phillips.
At 6’4, 235 pounds, Phillips has excellent size and length. As a run defender, he uses his physical gifts to his advantage extremely well. His combination of length and play strength allows him to have more control at the point of attack, get off blocks quicker, and have a wider tackling radius — all of which you see Phillips do consistently.
As you may already know, cover skills and the ability to move in space are of high importance at the linebacker position in today’s NFL. This is a great example of two things with Phillips: 1) His range in coverage; 2) His 6’4 length, going back to my previous point. Having this kind of athleticism and length in coverage can make a linebacker extremely disruptive at the catch point, and in turn, extremely valuable to a defense. Phillips’ athleticism and cover skills allow for him to be an asset on all three downs."
**************************************************************************
then, there's Malik:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/malik-harrison/jwjnJK4KyJ
worst trait - "man coverage ability" ....
Yep - I think the Browns knew better after all - we just have to look deeper into it. The Browns know more than we do, eh?
at least, THESE Browns.
-
meanwhile,
buttichump took Kyle Dugger ahead of the Browns in the second round. DAMMIT YOU EGG SUCKING WEASEL. they traded up ahead of the Browns. In my stupid mock draft, I reached for Kyle Dugger in the second round for the Browns.
and, DAMMIT, the bengals took Logan Wilson, my lb in my stupid mock draft, at the top of the third. and the Browns traded down.
My guess is, they had their eye on Logan Wilson. After my trade down in the first, I had a second later second round pick, and got Logan Wilson just before the third round, because I didn't think he'd be there in the third.
Dammit, bengals.
LOL.
dammit.
-
Apologies it’s a screenshot I’m not sure how to make it any bigger.
-
London, I'm certain that you posted interesting stuff...but I can't read a word of it....it's waaayyy too small.
-
Interesting writeups. So why did the Browns have him rated higher on their board, especially since Harrison is just a punt away from Berea? Could it be the nose for the football this team has lacked?
it's going to be fascinating? to see how it plays out. Off hand, Harrison seems to be the better pick. It is easy to find profiles that rip Phillips. "not every down player", "lacking demeanor", "tight in hips" but "sure tackler, wraps up"....
but these Browns wouldn't have done it if they didn't know better. I guess reality is in the eye of the beholder?
Here is one write up that tells a different story -
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/lsu-lb-jacob-phillips-is-the-complete-package
"Conversely, a “complete package” player has all of the tools on and off the field that you look for at their position. One of those players in the 2020 NFL draft class? LSU junior linebacker Jacob Phillips.
At 6’4, 235 pounds, Phillips has excellent size and length. As a run defender, he uses his physical gifts to his advantage extremely well. His combination of length and play strength allows him to have more control at the point of attack, get off blocks quicker, and have a wider tackling radius — all of which you see Phillips do consistently.
As you may already know, cover skills and the ability to move in space are of high importance at the linebacker position in today’s NFL. This is a great example of two things with Phillips: 1) His range in coverage; 2) His 6’4 length, going back to my previous point. Having this kind of athleticism and length in coverage can make a linebacker extremely disruptive at the catch point, and in turn, extremely valuable to a defense. Phillips’ athleticism and cover skills allow for him to be an asset on all three downs."
**************************************************************************
then, there's Malik:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/malik-harrison/jwjnJK4KyJ
worst trait - "man coverage ability" ....
Yep - I think the Browns knew better after all - we just have to look deeper into it. The Browns know more than we do, eh?
at least, THESE Browns.
it's going to be fascinating? to see how it plays out. Off hand, Harrison seems to be the better pick. It is easy to find profiles that rip Phillips. "not every down player", "lacking demeanor", "tight in hips" but "sure tackler, wraps up"....
but these Browns wouldn't have done it if they didn't know better. I guess reality is in the eye of the beholder?
Here is one write up that tells a different story -
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/lsu-lb-jacob-phillips-is-the-complete-package
"Conversely, a “complete package” player has all of the tools on and off the field that you look for at their position. One of those players in the 2020 NFL draft class? LSU junior linebacker Jacob Phillips.
At 6’4, 235 pounds, Phillips has excellent size and length. As a run defender, he uses his physical gifts to his advantage extremely well. His combination of length and play strength allows him to have more control at the point of attack, get off blocks quicker, and have a wider tackling radius — all of which you see Phillips do consistently.
As you may already know, cover skills and the ability to move in space are of high importance at the linebacker position in today’s NFL. This is a great example of two things with Phillips: 1) His range in coverage; 2) His 6’4 length, going back to my previous point. Having this kind of athleticism and length in coverage can make a linebacker extremely disruptive at the catch point, and in turn, extremely valuable to a defense. Phillips’ athleticism and cover skills allow for him to be an asset on all three downs."
**************************************************************************
then, there's Malik:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/malik-harrison/jwjnJK4KyJ
worst trait - "man coverage ability" ....
Yep - I think the Browns knew better after all - we just have to look deeper into it. The Browns know more than we do, eh?
at least, THESE Browns.
And let me add one thing to that concerning this LSU team defense as a whole. We have a long history of playing LSU well prior to joining the SEC, so I am very familiar with them going all the way back to the Chinese Bandits of the 1950's. I had said even before they won the SEC Championship that this was the greatest LSU defense that I had ever seen. They consistently diagnosed what other teams were trying to do and then smothered them. And one of the major ways they did it was to take a lot of chances based on what they were seeing and then covering for any individual mistakes with their overall team speed and their 11 men flying to the football until the play was dead. And two of those guys are used to the way each other plays, so that makes me happy to have them both. There is something special about a team chemistry like that and I think the pair bring that to the Browns' table. It's just what we need.
-
Not unhappy with the Phillips pick. I just think Malik Harrison is going to be special. Of course he had to go to the Ravens.
I like our first four.
I might snag a WR in the fourth there is some unusual talent that has lasted into the 3rd day. It kind of sums of this draft class. Not a lot of elite guys but some good depth.
-
It seems like everyone likes Elliot better than the guys at ESPN (mind you, they didn't hate the pick, but felt he is an example of potential over production) which makes me a little more optimistic about the selection, but... Phillips over Harrison is a real head scratcher. Not thrilled with that.
Did WR Cephus from Wisconsin get taken yet?
It seems like everyone likes Elliot better than the guys at ESPN (mind you, they didn't hate the pick, but felt he is an example of potential over production) which makes me a little more optimistic about the selection, but... Elliot shows he has good hands & arm technique..Needs a quicker motor getting off the LOS to make them a weapon.. am just still piss'd, Hammy & or N.Gallimore were had'able. reading a rotational DT was a Berry need? maybe both did not fit that role after interviewed?
Phillips over Harrison is a real head scratcher. Not thrilled with that. Nor I..Feels more like a stop the run LB won out over what Harrison showed in run game..Mack Wilson now becomes the coverage LB he was drafted to be..missing only 3 tackles out of 88 sounds like a guy we need in the box to stop the run with..I just thought Harrison had more tackles 2 yard down field stops vs Phillips 4-5 yards. am still checking on that one..
Did WR Cephus from Wisconsin get taken yet? Still there...run your card to Rogers basement & want that M&M jar full on return as a reward...
am also seriously hunting down our SEC scouts names verse our Big 10 scouts names...any help in these names? get's rewarded with 1!! of Roger's M&M's.. I got Gip drawing up some "your fired" legal documents..? Price pending
-
I’m looking at receivers on day three i like what I read about Quez Watkins, crazy fast and long arms works for me as a base for a project
-
What gets me about Phillips over Harrison isn't so much the local connection. I see one who, when playing ILB, generated a ton of TFL's.
The other? Not so much.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login



