Donovan Peoples-Jones
-
Just for the record, there's a difference between "there's nothing happening" and "you not understanding what's happening".
There is nothing happening off the ball in baseball and everyone just stands around waiting.
There's always something happening in soccer.
Baseball had a good run. During the great depression it was probably super exciting. But let's get over the "national past time" junk and see it for what it is
There's always something happening in soccer.
a) handheld Zamboni tube use for a lost soccer ball? or b) did Club Med Cleo see a bad moon arisen?
-
This must have been the qualifier for 2000 I reckon, they really should have beaten us we were lucky to go through.
That'd be the right timing. I was doing "Management Development" course work at Warwick U. in Coventry then and often tacked "business" trips to Zeneca sites on either side of Y2K...
... with my golf clubs in tow.
I was especially attracted to our Scotland holdings... for some reason. Found some good ones too, like, St. Andrews and Carnoustie and, most of all, Turnberry... back before it turned orange.

And I remember your bearded, analytics guru, Colbern now... Scot or Irishman? I believe you sent me something a couple years back "about" him.
That'd be the right timing. I was doing "Management Development" course work at Warwick U. in Coventry then and often tacked "business" trips to Zeneca sites on either side of Y2K...
... with my golf clubs in tow.
I was especially attracted to our Scotland holdings... for some reason. Found some good ones too, like, St. Andrews and Carnoustie and, most of all, Turnberry... back before it turned orange.

And I remember your bearded, analytics guru, Colbern now... Scot or Irishman? I believe you sent me something a couple years back "about" him.
Warwick U nice, one of our more prestigious ones! Attending THE Open at St Andrews is on the bucket list
Cobern is American as far as I am aware
-
"There's always something happening in soccer"...
Just like there's always something happening when paint is drying, yet it's not worth caring about.
-
The lockdown and no soccer has been interesting for me personally.
I have had a season ticket for 20 years and followed them all over Europe when playing in the UEFA competitions but I really dont think I miss it not being on. A lot of that is probably how rubbish we have got in the last 12-18 months but I'm surprised how flippant I am about it being gone.
5-10 years ago I have no doubt I would have been going out my mind, maybe I'm just getting old...
-
"Erratic quarterback play at Michigan allowed him to showcase his ability to make adjustments to off-target throws and snatch the football securely outside of his frame."
"The biggest concern with Peoples-Jones at the next level is how consistently he can beat press coverage and if he has enough quick-twitch qualities to be a consistent separator."
Even if he doesn't see the field at WR, 6th seems about the right spot for guys who play on 4th down..
-
Really little kids soccer is special. It's a circular blob of little kids...with presumably, a soccer ball in the middle...and the blob slowly moving slightly left, right, back and forth. The ball is kinda' like a photon trying to make it all the way out of the sun and out into space.
I quit watching baseball years ago. My first year in Little League I played outfield. It was so freakin' boring out there. A low flying bird would come by and you'd JUMP to attention, waking up from your daydream thinking that the ball was actually hit.....but nope, it's just a bird....back to sleep...
---------------
I would like to say here that SOFTBALL was lots of fun. You lob a fatty up there for the batter to hit, and he HITS the ball. Novel idea.
-
In Supercross/motocross, when we "flop", it's usually at high speed and it makes the ESPN highlight reel. Once the rag doll session comes to an end, we instantly gather our senses and scramble back to our motorcycles to get back on and try to win the race. Often times we find out 6, 8, 12hrs later that we have a broken clavicle, scapula or rib.... ask me how I know.
If you think I would watch a sport for even a second where people are encouraged from a young age to fake an injury, and it is actually a known part of the game, well, let's just say you would be wrong..... those soccer and basketball players are just so very courageous.
carry on..........................
-
Really little kids soccer is special. It's a circular blob of little kids...with presumably, a soccer ball in the middle...and the blob slowly moving slightly left, right, back and forth. The ball is kinda' like a photon trying to make it all the way out of the sun and out into space.
I quit watching baseball years ago. My first year in Little League I played outfield. It was so freakin' boring out there. A low flying bird would come by and you'd JUMP to attention, waking up from your daydream thinking that the ball was actually hit.....but nope, it's just a bird....back to sleep...
---------------
I would like to say here that SOFTBALL was lots of fun. You lob a fatty up there for the batter to hit, and he HITS the ball. Novel idea.
Really little kids soccer is special. It's a circular blob of little kids...with presumably, a soccer ball in the middle...and the blob slowly moving slightly left, right, back and forth. The ball is kinda' like a photon trying to make it all the way out of the sun and out into space.
I coached Smurf soccer (and U7, U8, etc). It's hard to get them to do anything correctly haha. But the massive blob following the ball is 100% correct.
-
"Erratic quarterback play at Michigan allowed him to showcase his ability to make adjustments to off-target throws and snatch the football securely outside of his frame."
"The biggest concern with Peoples-Jones at the next level is how consistently he can beat press coverage and if he has enough quick-twitch qualities to be a consistent separator."
Even if he doesn't see the field at WR, 6th seems about the right spot for guys who play on 4th down..
"The biggest concern with Peoples-Jones at the next level is how consistently he can beat press coverage and if he has enough quick-twitch qualities to be a consistent separator."
This is what concerns me the most. You can teach a guy to run better routes and maybe show him some technical things to beat a press cover or to help him potentially get open. But if a guy can't fake out a defender I have never heard of that skill-set being taught so that he suddenly learns how to do it. If the quickness (as opposed to speed) and twitch isn't there it ain't going to grow on him.
That isn't to say he won't be a good 3rd receiver. He reminds me in a way of Antonio Callaway. I thought Callaway's twitch and ability to get a step through deception was bad. But his speed was very good and, importantly, his quickness, was very good. I could be wrong but I don't see quickness in DP-J's route-running, and the analysis confirms this. But where he will be better than Callaway is his size and his ability to fight and come down with the ball, which is fantastic. So he will be a capable 3rd receiver, imo.
Which brings up a question. Has anyone heard what the hell Higgins did that put him in 2 Browns' FO doghouses?
-
"The biggest concern with Peoples-Jones at the next level is how consistently he can beat press coverage and if he has enough quick-twitch qualities to be a consistent separator."
This is what concerns me the most. You can teach a guy to run better routes and maybe show him some technical things to beat a press cover or to help him potentially get open. But if a guy can't fake out a defender I have never heard of that skill-set being taught so that he suddenly learns how to do it. If the quickness (as opposed to speed) and twitch isn't there it ain't going to grow on him.
That isn't to say he won't be a good 3rd receiver. He reminds me in a way of Antonio Callaway. I thought Callaway's twitch and ability to get a step through deception was bad. But his speed was very good and, importantly, his quickness, was very good. I could be wrong but I don't see quickness in DP-J's route-running, and the analysis confirms this. But where he will be better than Callaway is his size and his ability to fight and come down with the ball, which is fantastic. So he will be a capable 3rd receiver, imo.
Which brings up a question. Has anyone heard what the hell Higgins did that put him in 2 Browns' FO doghouses?
This is what concerns me the most. You can teach a guy to run better routes and maybe show him some technical things to beat a press cover or to help him potentially get open. But if a guy can't fake out a defender I have never heard of that skill-set being taught so that he suddenly learns how to do it. If the quickness (as opposed to speed) and twitch isn't there it ain't going to grow on him.
That isn't to say he won't be a good 3rd receiver. He reminds me in a way of Antonio Callaway. I thought Callaway's twitch and ability to get a step through deception was bad. But his speed was very good and, importantly, his quickness, was very good. I could be wrong but I don't see quickness in DP-J's route-running, and the analysis confirms this. But where he will be better than Callaway is his size and his ability to fight and come down with the ball, which is fantastic. So he will be a capable 3rd receiver, imo.
Which brings up a question. Has anyone heard what the hell Higgins did that put him in 2 Browns' FO doghouses?
I would love to know about Higgins as well, but we'll never know unless HE decides to say something.
Mike
-
"The biggest concern with Peoples-Jones at the next level is how consistently he can beat press coverage and if he has enough quick-twitch qualities to be a consistent separator."
This is what concerns me the most. You can teach a guy to run better routes and maybe show him some technical things to beat a press cover or to help him potentially get open. But if a guy can't fake out a defender I have never heard of that skill-set being taught so that he suddenly learns how to do it. If the quickness (as opposed to speed) and twitch isn't there it ain't going to grow on him.
That isn't to say he won't be a good 3rd receiver. He reminds me in a way of Antonio Callaway. I thought Callaway's twitch and ability to get a step through deception was bad. But his speed was very good and, importantly, his quickness, was very good. I could be wrong but I don't see quickness in DP-J's route-running, and the analysis confirms this. But where he will be better than Callaway is his size and his ability to fight and come down with the ball, which is fantastic. So he will be a capable 3rd receiver, imo.
Which brings up a question. Has anyone heard what the hell Higgins did that put him in 2 Browns' FO doghouses?
This is what concerns me the most. You can teach a guy to run better routes and maybe show him some technical things to beat a press cover or to help him potentially get open. But if a guy can't fake out a defender I have never heard of that skill-set being taught
I think I read somewhere that he has a kinda' unique plant step on certain cuts that gives him an advantage. (blowing my own horn) I use to have a plant step that made me look like I was going one way when actually it would propel me in the other direction.
-
-
There's always something happening in soccer.
a) handheld Zamboni tube use for a lost soccer ball? or b) did Club Med Cleo see a bad moon arisen?
-
Just for the record, there's a difference between "there's nothing happening" and "you not understanding what's happening".
There is nothing happening off the ball in baseball and everyone just stands around waiting.
There's always something happening in soccer.
Baseball had a good run. During the great depression it was probably super exciting. But let's get over the "national past time" junk and see it for what it is
Just for the record, there's a difference between "there's nothing happening" and 1) "you not understanding what's happening".
2) There is nothing happening off the ball in baseball and everyone just stands around waiting.
There's always something happening in soccer.
Baseball had a good run. During the great depression it was probably super exciting. But let's get over the "national past time" junk and see it for what it is
1) And they don't even want to try.
2) Conveniently ignored. Little League, you could stand around in the outfield for a couple innings, and most of the time, take a nap.
Ah beisbool is for those really old guys who can say- when I was a young whipper snapper my great-great grand daddy went out to stadiums that don't exist anymore to see Ty Cobb, Tris speaker, and them old time greats play baseball. They'll be able to watch every Indians game from their rooms in the nursing homes soon. And you would have to be around 80 to actually remember when the Tribe won it's last World Series.
Can't blame Gipper because he likes to live in the past. I never saw Otto Graham play- and he didn't either- unless his Mom took him to a Browns game when he was 3 years old.
-
OK... I give.
Did the lad pull a glut?
Take one in the nads so hard that this was the shortest access route?
Or just trying to keep Diarrhea off the field?
At the very least, it sure looks like an effective pest control treatment for any entitled brats with bugs up their asss. The Browns could have definitely used a Fanny Pest Control Specialist over the years. FWIW, it's never too late...
-
Zombo said:
I just wanna know if he returns kicks.
I recall seeing stats that he's not returned any kicks. Just punts.
Punt & Kick Returns
-
Just for the record, there's a difference between "there's nothing happening" and 1) "you not understanding what's happening".
2) There is nothing happening off the ball in baseball and everyone just stands around waiting.
There's always something happening in soccer.
Baseball had a good run. During the great depression it was probably super exciting. But let's get over the "national past time" junk and see it for what it is
1) And they don't even want to try.
2) Conveniently ignored. Little League, you could stand around in the outfield for a couple innings, and most of the time, take a nap.
Ah beisbool is for those really old guys who can say- when I was a young whipper snapper my great-great grand daddy went out to stadiums that don't exist anymore to see Ty Cobb, Tris speaker, and them old time greats play baseball. They'll be able to watch every Indians game from their rooms in the nursing homes soon. And you would have to be around 80 to actually remember when the Tribe won it's last World Series.
Can't blame Gipper because he likes to live in the past. I never saw Otto Graham play- and he didn't either- unless his Mom took him to a Browns game when he was 3 years old.
-
In Supercross/motocross, when we "flop", it's usually at high speed and it makes the ESPN highlight reel. Once the rag doll session comes to an end, we instantly gather our senses and scramble back to our motorcycles to get back on and try to win the race. Often times we find out 6, 8, 12hrs later that we have a broken clavicle, scapula or rib.... ask me how I know.
If you think I would watch a sport for even a second where people are encouraged from a young age to fake an injury, and it is actually a known part of the game, well, let's just say you would be wrong..... those soccer and basketball players are just so very courageous.
carry on..........................
In Supercross/motocross, when we "flop", it's usually at high speed and it makes the ESPN highlight reel. Once the rag doll session comes to an end, we instantly gather our senses and scramble back to our motorcycles to get back on and try to win the race. Often times we find out 6, 8, 12hrs later that we have a broken clavicle, scapula or rib.... ask me how I know.
If you think I would watch a sport for even a second where people are encouraged from a young age to fake an injury, and it is actually a known part of the game, well, let's just say you would be wrong..... those soccer and basketball players are just so very courageous.
carry on..........................
back in the day, my cousin ran motorcross, had some pretty back wrecks, a couple were caused by other riders. I didn't care for it - he ended up with a few months of recovery - so I stayed with enduroes - 2.5 hrs of riding down dry or whte water creek beds down mountains, through miles of woods...down rail road ties with no rails, through giant mudholes, through flooded dirt roads, etc etc.
I know, because I was riding way too fast on a mountain ridge in Virginia, trying to catch up with my cousin, but someone had wrecked and tore down the red warning ribbon. So, splashing through mountain laurel blooms, no warning ribbon, I went off a mountain ridge and hit a tree about ten feet on the ground.
Sprained by back pretty bad, the bike landed on me - not one tree had any sympathy for me, so pretending to be hurt wouldn't have worked anyways. I never could get the bike off me til a clean up crew of two riders came by up the mountain, saw the ribbon gone, and searched for me. I actually had to ride about six miles to a dirt road, and I don't remember how far down the dirt road back to the start.
And, I was in the Air Force, and had to drive back to Ohio to be at work the next morning. I made it.
and THAT was more fun than soccer.
You get banged up enough without pretended to be hurt. And usually, you are miles from the nearest other human being, so pretending wouldn't do any good anyways. LOL
Soccer is like no-ice hockey - I just don't appreciate it. It's boring and/or aggravating most of the time. Unless it's watching kids play - that is fun.
Fishing and not catching anything because a cold front is coming in, and the wind keeps grabbing at your canoe...
that is really far more exciting than soccer. Just my opinion.
Football is special. Controlled team play from snaps of the ball, a war of 11 on 11, or in the case of playing the squeelers, 11 on 11+1 squeeler fan referee. lol
-
Zombo said:
That pretty good production as a punt returner.
I think I can update my depth chart and cut the fa kick returner we signed from the Rams, and bring back D'ernst Johson to return kickoffs and make Peoples Express the punt returner.
Z
His two TDs
And one against OSU
-
(beyond that, I am not sure you expressed yourself properly: "where less impact has each action" ? I am not sure what you are trying to say here.
I'm saying that there are so many games, innings and pitches in baseball, that although in each pitch can happen something interesting (just like in any sport), the repercussion in the season is less important.
Let's say you are only a hitter, and don't hit the ball in a pitch. Don't worry, because you have 3 strikes to be out, and 2 of your team mates must be out too to end the inning, and you have 9 innings. So if the pitcher made a perfect game, it would be 3x3x9, which is 81 plays in a game (with no balls, we have a perfect pitcher here), so each chance you have represents 1,23% of the game (in a game with a perfect pitcher).
Now let's look at the season: 162 games. That means that every game represents 0,62% of the season. So each pitch represents (0,0062 x 0,0123) = 7,59 x 10 e-5. And that's counting perfect pitchers in every game. In American Football, the 2012 Patriots had 74 snaps per game. You know how much each snap represents? 8,44 x10e-5. (You take 1 and divide by 74 and 16 games).
So every snap in American Football is already 10 times more important than each pitch of the MLB if it had perfect pitchers.I'm saying that there are so many games, innings and pitches in baseball, that although in each pitch can happen something interesting (just like in any sport), the repercussion in the season is less important.
Let's say you are only a hitter, and don't hit the ball in a pitch. Don't worry, because you have 3 strikes to be out, and 2 of your team mates must be out too to end the inning, and you have 9 innings. So if the pitcher made a perfect game, it would be 3x3x9, which is 81 plays in a game (with no balls, we have a perfect pitcher here), so each chance you have represents 1,23% of the game (in a game with a perfect pitcher).
Now let's look at the season: 162 games. That means that every game represents 0,62% of the season. So each pitch represents (0,0062 x 0,0123) = 7,59 x 10 e-5. And that's counting perfect pitchers in every game. In American Football, the 2012 Patriots had 74 snaps per game. You know how much each snap represents? 8,44 x10e-5. (You take 1 and divide by 74 and 16 games).
So every snap in American Football is already 10 times more important than each pitch of the MLB if it had perfect pitchers.Again....just a display of lack of understanding of the game. Baseball is played every day....162 games. Football only plays 16 games (for now). Soccer is only a once a week sport mostly. It is just the nature of the sport. Your argument seems to be that the more touches of the ball somehow dissipates each touch.
Or, you could look at it as baseball has 10 more times the opportunities for something exciting to happen.
And maybe what you also don't understand is that those game where on few of those "touches" result nothing happen....may be among the most exciting plays in the game. There may be nothing more intense and exciting than a good pitchers duel. Again the duel word comes into play. Each at bat is a duel, pitcher vs. batter. And pitcher vs. pitcher duels can be as exciting as the Earps vs. Clanton.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login