Skip to content

NFL stadiums

The Browns Board
30 8 564 1
  • @barry said:

    My father was best friends with Capt Frank. I visited his house and restaurant all the time. Remember the custard stand in the back? ?

    Yeah , that custard was delicious , too!.. My Pop used to take me down there.. we would park in the lot.. go get a custard.. then sit outside the car , listening to the Tribe on the radio... I miss that.

    @nickers said:

    Yeah , that custard was delicious , too!.. My Pop used to take me down there.. we would park in the lot.. go get a custard.. then sit outside the car , listening to the Tribe on the radio... I miss that.

    And don't forget the Goodtime II and submarine!

  • @nickers said:

    Yeah , that custard was delicious , too!.. My Pop used to take me down there.. we would park in the lot.. go get a custard.. then sit outside the car , listening to the Tribe on the radio... I miss that.

    And don't forget the Goodtime II and submarine!

    @barry said:

    And don't forget the Goodtime II and submarine!

    Rode the Goodtime II numerous times as a child... I think I may have to do that after the lockdown..

  • Here is a clue for you all, which I did not know heretofore:

    Most of The Strip is NOT in Las Vegas, but is in Paradise NV.   Everything south of Circus Circus in fact:   The Venetian, Balley's The Mirage, Treasure Island, Caesar's Palace, MGM, Mandalay Bay...etc etc.   All in "Paradise".   I know...its news to me:

    U.S. Census Map

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    The Raiders are playing in Vegas the stadium is just off the strip. Rams and Chargers too they essentially play in LA.

    Yes, all these teams I mentioned do play in the area of the city they take their name from,  but I was just pointing out that they are not actually located in the city limits of those cities.  I was just by the new Raiders stadium in Feb....and I know that is "off strip".   It is on the other side of I-15 from Mandalay Bay.....and though I did not realize it at the time because nothing looks different,  that is technically in Pardise, not LV.    All these teams that play in suburbs can be said to "essentially" be in the city the name carries......but they do not.   

    While it does not make much difference to me and you, it makes a difference to those cities. After all, the tax revenues from stadium operations there would go to Paradise, not LV.  

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, all these teams I mentioned do play in the area of the city they take their name from,  but I was just pointing out that they are not actually located in the city limits of those cities.  I was just by the new Raiders stadium in Feb....and I know that is "off strip".   It is on the other side of I-15 from Mandalay Bay.....and though I did not realize it at the time because nothing looks different,  that is technically in Pardise, not LV.    All these teams that play in suburbs can be said to "essentially" be in the city the name carries......but they do not.   

    While it does not make much difference to me and you, it makes a difference to those cities. After all, the tax revenues from stadium operations there would go to Paradise, not LV.  

    I think it’s Clark Co. benefiting and Vegas is within Clark 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, all these teams I mentioned do play in the area of the city they take their name from,  but I was just pointing out that they are not actually located in the city limits of those cities.  I was just by the new Raiders stadium in Feb....and I know that is "off strip".   It is on the other side of I-15 from Mandalay Bay.....and though I did not realize it at the time because nothing looks different,  that is technically in Pardise, not LV.    All these teams that play in suburbs can be said to "essentially" be in the city the name carries......but they do not.   

    While it does not make much difference to me and you, it makes a difference to those cities. After all, the tax revenues from stadium operations there would go to Paradise, not LV.  

    I think it’s Clark Co. benefiting and Vegas is within Clark 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I think it’s Clark Co. benefiting and Vegas is within Clark 

    Yes, Clark Co.  But Clark Co. covers the whole huge SE tip of Nevada:

    Nevada County Map

    Nevada only has 17 counties:  compare to 88 in Ohio.

  • And Clark Co. sold the bonds to finance the stadium not Paradise 

  • And Clark Co. sold the bonds to finance the stadium not Paradise 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    And Clark Co. sold the bonds to finance the stadium not Paradise 

    Fair enough.  Makes sense.   It was Cuyahoga County, not Cleveland that did the same here for our stadiums, I believe. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    And Clark Co. sold the bonds to finance the stadium not Paradise 

    Fair enough.  Makes sense.   It was Cuyahoga County, not Cleveland that did the same here for our stadiums, I believe. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Fair enough.  Makes sense.   It was Cuyahoga County, not Cleveland that did the same here for our stadiums, I believe. 

    Big difference with the Niners as their stadium and facilities are outside of the Co. that The city of SF is in and same with the NY teams as you pointed out 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Fair enough.  Makes sense.   It was Cuyahoga County, not Cleveland that did the same here for our stadiums, I believe. 

    Big difference with the Niners as their stadium and facilities are outside of the Co. that The city of SF is in and same with the NY teams as you pointed out 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Big difference with the Niners as their stadium and facilities are outside of the Co. that The city of SF is in and same with the NY teams as you pointed out 

    Niners' stadium was not publicly financed technically, though Santa Clara potentially could have been responsible for payments if certain flows of revenue failed to materialize.

  • I guess the circumstances matter the most...Thinking back a few years I lived outside of SD Proper but within SD County and I didn’t get to vote on the stadium financing because the proposed stadium site land was owned by the City of San Diego and outlying towns therefore could not vote on the issue although they were within San Diego County. 

  • I guess the circumstances matter the most...Thinking back a few years I lived outside of SD Proper but within SD County and I didn’t get to vote on the stadium financing because the proposed stadium site land was owned by the City of San Diego and outlying towns therefore could not vote on the issue although they were within San Diego County. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I guess the circumstances matter the most...Thinking back a few years I lived outside of SD Proper but within SD County and I didn’t get to vote on the stadium financing because the proposed stadium site land was owned by the City of San Diego and outlying towns therefore could not vote on the issue although they were within San Diego County. 

    Was the financing for upgrades or a new stadium? Did it pass? Was that partially responsible for SD losing its team? There was virtually no way a stadium could have been built in the Bay Area using public funds when Santa Clara was built. Soon after the Montana-Young dynasty DeBartolo wanted to rebuild a stadium on the old Candlestick spot (which is horrendous). It was surrounded by a lot of low-income properties, and even though the 49ers were beloved in the Bay Area, had just won a bunch of Super Bowls, and DeBartolo promised to rebuild the area surrounding Candlestick into decent housing, stores, etc. it didn't pass.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I guess the circumstances matter the most...Thinking back a few years I lived outside of SD Proper but within SD County and I didn’t get to vote on the stadium financing because the proposed stadium site land was owned by the City of San Diego and outlying towns therefore could not vote on the issue although they were within San Diego County. 

    Was the financing for upgrades or a new stadium? Did it pass? Was that partially responsible for SD losing its team? There was virtually no way a stadium could have been built in the Bay Area using public funds when Santa Clara was built. Soon after the Montana-Young dynasty DeBartolo wanted to rebuild a stadium on the old Candlestick spot (which is horrendous). It was surrounded by a lot of low-income properties, and even though the 49ers were beloved in the Bay Area, had just won a bunch of Super Bowls, and DeBartolo promised to rebuild the area surrounding Candlestick into decent housing, stores, etc. it didn't pass.

    @barry said:

    Was the financing for upgrades or a new stadium? Did it pass? Was that partially responsible for SD losing its team? There was virtually no way a stadium could have been built in the Bay Area using public funds when Santa Clara was built. Soon after the Montana-Young dynasty DeBartolo wanted to rebuild a stadium on the old Candlestick spot (which is horrendous). It was surrounded by a lot of low-income properties, and even though the 49ers were beloved in the Bay Area, had just won a bunch of Super Bowls, and DeBartolo promised to rebuild the area surrounding Candlestick into decent housing, stores, etc. it didn't pass.

    I believe the New Stadium measure was in 15 or 16.  It failed of course.  I believe it was 100% taxpayer measure and no kick in by Charger Ownership. 

  • @barry said:

    Was the financing for upgrades or a new stadium? Did it pass? Was that partially responsible for SD losing its team? There was virtually no way a stadium could have been built in the Bay Area using public funds when Santa Clara was built. Soon after the Montana-Young dynasty DeBartolo wanted to rebuild a stadium on the old Candlestick spot (which is horrendous). It was surrounded by a lot of low-income properties, and even though the 49ers were beloved in the Bay Area, had just won a bunch of Super Bowls, and DeBartolo promised to rebuild the area surrounding Candlestick into decent housing, stores, etc. it didn't pass.

    I believe the New Stadium measure was in 15 or 16.  It failed of course.  I believe it was 100% taxpayer measure and no kick in by Charger Ownership. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I believe the New Stadium measure was in 15 or 16.  It failed of course.  I believe it was 100% taxpayer measure and no kick in by Charger Ownership. 

    Here is a fairly complete story about the Chargers and Rams moves.   Needless to say, the Chargers owner was unable or unwilling to do what several owners did around the league:   privately finance his own stadium deal. 

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28117460/inside-rams-chargers-marriage-nfl-fights-los-angeles

  • @the-gipper said:

    The Ten largest capacity stadiums...based on normal allowed attendance  in the NFL are:

    1. MetLife Stadium  Giants/Jets:  82, 500

    2. FedEx Stadium:  Redskins  82,000

    3. Lambeau  Field:  Packers  81,441

    4. AT&T Stadium:  Cowboys.....but can be expanded to 100K

    5. LA  Coliseum:  Rams  (for now)   77,501    (also expandable)

    6. Arrowhead Stadium:  Chiefs  76,416

    7. Denver New Mile High:  Broncos  76,125

    8. Bank of America:   Panthers  73,779

    9. Supedome:  Saints  73,208

    10:  New Era Field:   Bills  73,079

    Cleveland Browns Stadium (first energy)  has a current capacity of 67,895......but had  73,200 before the 2017 renovation. 

    Also, be aware that there are as many as 20  permanent college stadiums that are bigger than any NFL stadium:

    Michigan,   Penn St.,  Texas A&M, Tennessee, Texas,  LSU, UCLA (Rose Bowl),  Ohio State,  Alabama, Georgia  just to name the top ones. 

    I knew that Cleveland Browns stadium was built where Muni stadium stood but never considered the field was on the same footprint. 

    Who remembers this place?

    download.jpeg

    @dusty said:

    I knew that Cleveland Browns stadium was built where Muni stadium stood but never considered the field was on the same footprint. 

    Who remembers this place?

    download.jpeg

    I remember.  On E. 9th st. Pier.