What is the biggest factor in Browns winning season??
-
Start Here...
Baker 317 of 524=59.4% 3827 yards..22 TD's, 21 picks with 40 sacks.. VS. Cousins Under Stef, ..307 of 444=69.1% 3603 yards..26 TDs, 6 picks with 28 sacks..
and yes, Ya can't win games committing 152 penalties in 16 games at a rate of 9.5/game..
We win games when Chubb see's 20 touches...Hunt could use more & not miss 1st 8 games...
Defense? it's all on Coach Woods ? tackle & our back-end in coverage should be better (but, get your damm heads turned around making plays on ball while in air)
-
If the Browns are to produce a winning record in 2020 (or better), what will most likely be the biggest cause?
1.) Baker has grown up and will play his best football as a pro. There were plenty of things to blame the 2019 fiasco on. But Baker himself was as big of reason as any; he clearly regressed from 2018. Yes, the OL had it's problems, but Baker had time on many plays that he just made bad throws. As things considered, if Baker plays top 15 QB play, the team could make waves. And I did hear him say 2019 humbled him, so that's a start.
2.) Not having Mr. Freddie as HC. He was way over his head. Stef has to be better, right? Could the removal of a clown at HC make all the difference?
3.) Better OL play.
4.) A more mature team not getting pulled down from hype.
2.) Not having Mr. Freddie as HC. He was way over his head. Stef has to be better, right? Could the removal of a clown at HC make all the difference?
If l could only pick one l would go with number two. Stef and the coaching crew have to put together consistently winning game plans that the players can buy into. We all heard the reports of Freddie doing goofy things like not having the playbook ready in a timely fashion before the start of the season and calling plays the team hasn’t practiced in a while, so when players start asking themselves, “Why is coach doing jive shit again?”, well, that’s a bad sign.
Also, we must ask the question “who does number 2 work for?” And the answer of course is Dr. Evil, renowned heart extraction surgeon who performs his craft every year or two on the same living subjects when he doesn’t see the pulmonary results he likes.
-
I think the playcalling was awful last year, mostly on the offensive side. Simply going for a fast paced offense with short passes and many carries can do wonders with the offensive performance. More play action, Baker working his ass off and focusing. Give the ball to our silent hammer, Mr. Chubb and his kick ass companion, Hunt.
Also, the penalties killed us and the offseason hype made it hard for the team to swallow losing Myles. I think that became a turning point where the season only went downhill because the team gave up on the coaching and didn't fight back.
Good thing is that last season was a call down to earth for many of our players (Myles, Baker, for example) and getting them pumped up to show what they are worth could be a factor, too.
-
With an offense based more on running I hope to see longer times of possession which allow our thin defense plenty of time to rest on the sidelines. A rested first team D can win those close ones we tend to drop in the second half.
-
Ice - I think you nailed the main things that were bad and cannot be bad anymore in order to be successful.
I would hope for a winning season. But lets remember, once again, there's a WHOLE LOT of new with the Browns right now. The OL will have at least two and possibly three new players. One maybe two rookies. The whole new playbook, new coaches, new GM thing that us fans are so familiar with. Add to that the coronavirus affects that will be coming down the pike.
I'm going to hope for gradual improvement throughout the season culminating with what looks like a solid team. I'd like to see them win the last quarter of the season. (go 3-1........no matter who they have to play)
Orion, appreciate your takes. ?
I don't buy the "whole new system" thing. How many times has a D or O had a "whole new system" and kicked butt year 1? It's not rocket science. If OBJ was hurt all last season and is healthy now? A real LT? Uh oh.
I don't buy the "whole new system" thing.
I do.
It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire. Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces. They have to learn how to work together.
Too much newness to expect great things. I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype. --- i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem. Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough. After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.
-
The biggest factor in bringing a winning season would be to score more points than the other team. Wouldn't it?
-
I don't buy the "whole new system" thing.
I do.
It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire. Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces. They have to learn how to work together.
Too much newness to expect great things. I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype. --- i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem. Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough. After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.
I do.
It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire. Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces. They have to learn how to work together.
Too much newness to expect great things. I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype. --- i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem. Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough. After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.
There are a limited amount of routes ran, they mostly all run the same routes. An 8 route is an 8 route. It's the terminology that changes.
And on D, how many times have you seen a D improve dramatically in the very 1st year of a new system? A lot.
-
I do.
It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire. Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces. They have to learn how to work together.
Too much newness to expect great things. I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype. --- i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem. Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough. After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.
There are a limited amount of routes ran, they mostly all run the same routes. An 8 route is an 8 route. It's the terminology that changes.
And on D, how many times have you seen a D improve dramatically in the very 1st year of a new system? A lot.
There are a limited amount of routes ran, they mostly all run the same routes. An 8 route is an 8 route. It's the terminology that changes.
And on D, how many times have you seen a D improve dramatically in the very 1st year of a new system? A lot.
The Defense had the secondary out for half the year with hamstrings and then when they returned relatively healthy the best pass rusher in football was out. Wilks for whatever reason was awful here too.
I argued with some on here that our overall the effort didn’t look that great. It looked like some guys were not talented enough or just flat out quit. A New leader would certainly change that.
As far as attitude of don’t expect much from year to year. We were are very underachieving 6 win team that could have very well met Just some not all expectations and been a 9-10 win team.
im far more pessimistic in some areas though than others. I don’t expect Wills to just change sides as a rookie in the NFL At one of the toughest positions and have a good season. He’s gonna struggle at times and we will certainly hear we need a vet there at times.
-
-
I do.
It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire. Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces. They have to learn how to work together.
Too much newness to expect great things. I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype. --- i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem. Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough. After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.
There are a limited amount of routes ran, they mostly all run the same routes. An 8 route is an 8 route. It's the terminology that changes.
And on D, how many times have you seen a D improve dramatically in the very 1st year of a new system? A lot.
-
-
-
I don't buy the "whole new system" thing.
I do.
It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire. Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces. They have to learn how to work together.
Too much newness to expect great things. I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype. --- i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem. Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough. After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.
I do.
It's not a big deal for the RBs...but timing between receivers and the QB on new routes takes time to acquire. Not to mention our 1st round pick needing to learn a new position...and of course the OL having perhaps three new pieces. They have to learn how to work together.
Too much newness to expect great things. I'm not drinking the kool-aid nor will I entertain hype. --- i think buying into the hype last year by the team was a major problem. Guys were not working hard enough nor taking it seriously enough. After all, they were gonna be in the super bowl without even stepping onto the field.
That's what I'm worried about too. I think all the teams with new coaching staffs may be behind the 8 ball.
Like others mentioned, the defense is a concern. I'm glad Wilks is gone, that scheme sucked. But it may take time to gel
-
OL Play, protect the cornerstone..
LB, pretty thin there, guess we will see if Mack and Co step up. Hopefully after training camp cuts, there will be some unexpected LB cuts.
Coaching. Freddie was way in over his head, Stef. hopefully plants the foundation going forward.
-
-
Scoring more than the other teams.
-
-
-
-
Hold the other team to fewer points every game.
I win the chicken dinner.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login