Skip to content

James Harrison doing James Harrison things

The Browns Board
27 11 947 1
  • Most NFL players are dumb as rocks like this guy. They get paid to smash into things, not have a brain. I hope the NFL investigates this and then does nothing cuz it’s the Steelers 

  • Most NFL players are dumb as rocks like this guy. They get paid to smash into things, not have a brain. I hope the NFL investigates this and then does nothing cuz it’s the Steelers 

    @typicalbrowns50 said:

    Most NFL players are dumb as rocks like this guy. They get paid to smash into things, not have a brain. I hope the NFL investigates this and then does nothing cuz it’s the Steelers 

    Everyone is so hot and bothered about JH's and MT's role in this...talk about not thinking. Where do you think the cash came from in that envelop? Tomlin's pocket? No way. Rooneys provided that cash. And it was to hook up JH for a fine that wasn't even flagged on the field. JH is right in that it was not a bounty. Not the same thing.

  • The dude is an Asshat.. Nuff said!

  • MoMass should sue Tomlin and Harrison after this.  

  • Just MoMass? Hell... there are enough Browns to qualify for class action. Can start by adding Colt and Cribbs to the list...

    If... and I mean if... he was paid a bounty, then MoMass wasn't his only payday.

    Harrison did more than any other player I can think of to bring about the illegal contact rules... and rightfully so.

    That said, if he'd played a decade or four earlier, then he'd have been heralded for his "tough" play. Of course a couple OLs would have wrecked at least one of knees in retaliation.

  • Just MoMass? Hell... there are enough Browns to qualify for class action. Can start by adding Colt and Cribbs to the list...

    If... and I mean if... he was paid a bounty, then MoMass wasn't his only payday.

    Harrison did more than any other player I can think of to bring about the illegal contact rules... and rightfully so.

    That said, if he'd played a decade or four earlier, then he'd have been heralded for his "tough" play. Of course a couple OLs would have wrecked at least one of knees in retaliation.

    @tour2ma said:

    That said, if he'd played a decade or four earlier, then he'd have been heralded for his "tough" play.

    That's right. And what Harrison said was innocent compared to the words uttered below.

    Below are 2 quotes from a DE from a different era.

    You may not be old enough to have watched this DE play. He was worshipped. I'm sure Gipper remembers him well and worshipped him.

    Can you guess who this player is?  Imagine Harrison or any player speaking like this today:

    You got this 260 pounds up to 4.5 (referring to himself)and you got an angle on him, he should go to the hospital, and that's exactly what I tried to do. No remorse in my heart, I tried to put him in the hospital every time I tackled. I wanted to hit and put my back into it, you know, Boom! That's gonna provide that shot that's gonna put the intimidating fear of God into that running back. Let him know and make him go back to that huddle and say to that quarterback. "Dammit, I'm not running in ******* area anymore." So each time he came over there, I tried to tear his damn head off.

    “When I see guys huddling up after the game, to pray, that’s what scares me about the game. I’m a Baptist, but I’m also a quarterback killer, and I ain’t praying with you. But I will give you 30 seconds to ask your Lord and master to keep me from killing you.”

  • Gorka - Yes, that was the attitude.  I'm not sure which player said those things....it could've been so many.  Chris Collinsworth said that he used to return KO's (or was it punts?) and he said, the guys on the field for those plays want nothing more than to tear your head off.

    In reality, it was never 'right'.  There is no place for that kind of attitude in sports.  BUT, that's the way it was, and one knew that going in.

  • Gorka - Yes, that was the attitude.  I'm not sure which player said those things....it could've been so many.  Chris Collinsworth said that he used to return KO's (or was it punts?) and he said, the guys on the field for those plays want nothing more than to tear your head off.

    In reality, it was never 'right'.  There is no place for that kind of attitude in sports.  BUT, that's the way it was, and one knew that going in.

    @orion said:

    Gorka - Yes, that was the attitude.  I'm not sure which player said those things....it could've been so many.  Chris Collinsworth said that he used to return KO's (or was it punts?) and he said, the guys on the field for those plays want nothing more than to tear your head off.

    In reality, it was never 'right'.  There is no place for that kind of attitude in sports.  BUT, that's the way it was, and one knew that going in.

    And guess who's else attitude it was?  We the fans. We used to love that shit.  Prior to the new rules brought about by players like Harrison and Whines Hard, and the heightened concern for player safety , there was an NFL segment on Monday Night Football called "Jacked Up" where they showed the most brutal and violent hits of the week, and like Romans in the Coliseum we cheered. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    That said, if he'd played a decade or four earlier, then he'd have been heralded for his "tough" play.

    That's right. And what Harrison said was innocent compared to the words uttered below.

    Below are 2 quotes from a DE from a different era.

    You may not be old enough to have watched this DE play. He was worshipped. I'm sure Gipper remembers him well and worshipped him.

    Can you guess who this player is?  Imagine Harrison or any player speaking like this today:

    You got this 260 pounds up to 4.5 (referring to himself)and you got an angle on him, he should go to the hospital, and that's exactly what I tried to do. No remorse in my heart, I tried to put him in the hospital every time I tackled. I wanted to hit and put my back into it, you know, Boom! That's gonna provide that shot that's gonna put the intimidating fear of God into that running back. Let him know and make him go back to that huddle and say to that quarterback. "Dammit, I'm not running in ******* area anymore." So each time he came over there, I tried to tear his damn head off.

    “When I see guys huddling up after the game, to pray, that’s what scares me about the game. I’m a Baptist, but I’m also a quarterback killer, and I ain’t praying with you. But I will give you 30 seconds to ask your Lord and master to keep me from killing you.”

    @gorka said:

    You got this 260 pounds up to 4.5 (referring to himself)and you got an angle on him, he should go to the hospital, and that's exactly what I tried to do. No remorse in my heart, I tried to put him in the hospital every time I tackled. I wanted to hit and put my back into it, you know, Boom! That's gonna provide that shot that's gonna put the intimidating fear of God into that running back. Let him know and make him go back to that huddle and say to that quarterback. "Dammit, I'm not running in ******* area anymore." So each time he came over there, I tried to tear his damn head off.

    Gotta be Bednarik taling about how he KO'd Frank Gifford.

    Every year during 2-a-days my HS staff showed us a Bednarik film... think it was called Search and Destroy  or some such thing.

    EDIT: But Chuck wasn't that big, so now thinkin' Butkus.

    The other quote seems like it should be Deacon Jones, but less sure of it.

    Right or wrong, Deacon was also responsible for a rules change. Can you name it?

  • @gorka said:

    You got this 260 pounds up to 4.5 (referring to himself)and you got an angle on him, he should go to the hospital, and that's exactly what I tried to do. No remorse in my heart, I tried to put him in the hospital every time I tackled. I wanted to hit and put my back into it, you know, Boom! That's gonna provide that shot that's gonna put the intimidating fear of God into that running back. Let him know and make him go back to that huddle and say to that quarterback. "Dammit, I'm not running in ******* area anymore." So each time he came over there, I tried to tear his damn head off.

    Gotta be Bednarik taling about how he KO'd Frank Gifford.

    Every year during 2-a-days my HS staff showed us a Bednarik film... think it was called Search and Destroy  or some such thing.

    EDIT: But Chuck wasn't that big, so now thinkin' Butkus.

    The other quote seems like it should be Deacon Jones, but less sure of it.

    Right or wrong, Deacon was also responsible for a rules change. Can you name it?

    @tour2ma said:

    Gotta be Bednarik taling about how he KO'd Frank Gifford.

    Every year during 2-a-days my HS staff showed us a Bednarik film... think it was called Search and Destroy  or some such thing.

    The other quote seems like it should be Deacon Jones, but less sure of it.

    Right or wrong, Deacon was also responsible for a rules change. Can you name it?

     You were right with your second guess. It was Deacon Jones.

    There used to be an NFL YouTube video of him saying this. Spent 15 min trying to find the thing. Must have been removed.

    Glad I was able to find the quote in an article.

    The rule change was head slapping.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Gotta be Bednarik taling about how he KO'd Frank Gifford.

    Every year during 2-a-days my HS staff showed us a Bednarik film... think it was called Search and Destroy  or some such thing.

    The other quote seems like it should be Deacon Jones, but less sure of it.

    Right or wrong, Deacon was also responsible for a rules change. Can you name it?

     You were right with your second guess. It was Deacon Jones.

    There used to be an NFL YouTube video of him saying this. Spent 15 min trying to find the thing. Must have been removed.

    Glad I was able to find the quote in an article.

    The rule change was head slapping.

    @gorka said:

    You were right with your second guess.

    So with my late edit I was 1 for 3. HOF average...

    1 for 4 if you count my missing it was only one player to be ID'd... so much for the HOF...

    But do you know Deacon's rule change?

  • @gorka said:

    You were right with your second guess.

    So with my late edit I was 1 for 3. HOF average...

    1 for 4 if you count my missing it was only one player to be ID'd... so much for the HOF...

    But do you know Deacon's rule change?

    @tour2ma said:

    So with my late edit I was 1 for 3. HOF average...

    1 for 4 if you count my missing it was only one player to be ID'd... so much for the HOF...

    But do you know Deacon's rule change?

    Yes, I edited my post...head slapping.

  • @tour2ma said:

    So with my late edit I was 1 for 3. HOF average...

    1 for 4 if you count my missing it was only one player to be ID'd... so much for the HOF...

    But do you know Deacon's rule change?

    Yes, I edited my post...head slapping.

    @gorka said:

    Yes, I edited my post...head slapping.

    lol... the curse of the slow edit got both of us...

    EDIT: Correctamundo...

  • @gorka said:

    Yes, I edited my post...head slapping.

    lol... the curse of the slow edit got both of us...

    EDIT: Correctamundo...

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... the curse of the slow edit got both of us...

    For sure.

    Check this out...now imagine if this were said today..

    "Any time you go upside a mans head, or a woman's, they have a tendency to blink...."

    The words "or a woman's" were edited out of Jones documentaries on YouTube.

  • @orion said:

    Gorka - Yes, that was the attitude.  I'm not sure which player said those things....it could've been so many.  Chris Collinsworth said that he used to return KO's (or was it punts?) and he said, the guys on the field for those plays want nothing more than to tear your head off.

    In reality, it was never 'right'.  There is no place for that kind of attitude in sports.  BUT, that's the way it was, and one knew that going in.

    And guess who's else attitude it was?  We the fans. We used to love that shit.  Prior to the new rules brought about by players like Harrison and Whines Hard, and the heightened concern for player safety , there was an NFL segment on Monday Night Football called "Jacked Up" where they showed the most brutal and violent hits of the week, and like Romans in the Coliseum we cheered. 

    @gorka said:

    and like Romans in the Coliseum we cheered.

    That's the exact analogy I was thinking as I read your post.

    A DE engaged with blockers should NEVER have had to fear some little guy sneaking around to his blind side and torpedoing in at the side of the his knees. 

    It was never 'right' that as a receiver, you could be stretched out, horizontal in the air, reaching to make a catch.....and some DB who's not making a play on the ball, doesn't give a rats ass about the ball frankly, is zeroing in on YOU to smash you to oblivion.  That was never right.

    People want to say that the D can't do anything any more.  Well, they can't do the things that they should never have been allowed to do in the first place.

  • The guy just loves to hear himself talk it seems. Even after he has been retired.

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol... the curse of the slow edit got both of us...

    For sure.

    Check this out...now imagine if this were said today..

    "Any time you go upside a mans head, or a woman's, they have a tendency to blink...."

    The words "or a woman's" were edited out of Jones documentaries on YouTube.

    @gorka said:

    Check this out...now imagine if this were said today..

    "Any time you go upside a mans head, or a woman's, they have a tendency to blink...."

    Ever been to a "traditional", full-on, Southern Baptist wedding?

    The vows are right out of the Stone-Age... but do stop just short of permitting the man to club his wife and drag her into the cave by her hair.

  • @gorka said:

    and like Romans in the Coliseum we cheered.

    That's the exact analogy I was thinking as I read your post.

    A DE engaged with blockers should NEVER have had to fear some little guy sneaking around to his blind side and torpedoing in at the side of the his knees. 

    It was never 'right' that as a receiver, you could be stretched out, horizontal in the air, reaching to make a catch.....and some DB who's not making a play on the ball, doesn't give a rats ass about the ball frankly, is zeroing in on YOU to smash you to oblivion.  That was never right.

    People want to say that the D can't do anything any more.  Well, they can't do the things that they should never have been allowed to do in the first place.

    @orion said:

    That's the exact analogy I was thinking as I read your post.

    A DE engaged with blockers should NEVER have had to fear some little guy sneaking around to his blind side and torpedoing in at the side of the his knees.  

    It was never 'right' that as a receiver, you could be stretched out, horizontal in the air, reaching to make a catch.....and some DB who's not making a play on the ball, doesn't give a rats ass about the ball frankly, is zeroing in on YOU to smash you to oblivion.  That was never right.

    People want to say that the D can't do anything any more.  Well, they can't do the things that they should never have been allowed to do in the first place.

    DTs, too... 😉, but as I said before there was a day when OLs would even scores... or in the case of The Longest Yard... QBs. 🙂

    Post reminded me that there are still those here who revere Joe "Turkey" Jones... 🙄

    On the WRs... I don't recall a rule change following Daryl Stingley's career-ending injury, but it might have started the movement towards them. Bleacher attributes that hit to bringing on the the reduction of the WR contact limit from 10 to 5 yards (I honestly do not remember the 10-yard rule), but I always looked at the 5-yard rule as a means of freeing WRs to open up the passing game. If it was meant to reduce injury, then I'd make the counter case that freeing WRs earlier to allow them to reach top speed sooner only served to increase the violence potential of collisions. It does make me wonder if the contact limit, be it after 5 or 10-yards, made things worse.

    Later the original defenseless receiver rule started to protect them from hits leaping for "uncatchable throws"... uncatchable high throws in particular. At least that's what I remember.

    Speaking of Tatum... stumbled across this vid from a SB pre-game show...

  • And one thing I want to make clear is that if James played for the Browns in his prime, I'd still feel the same way. Attitude like that is honestly the reason kids aren't playing the sport anymore. It's a sad joke.