James Harrison doing James Harrison things
-
I'm sure you've seen but: https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/james-harrison-on-massaquoi-hit-i-would-have-tried-to-kill-him-if-i-knew-i-would-be-fined/
What a roided out POS. You know, it isn't about the dude hitting hard. It's about making the statement that you would try to kill someone on the football field. That sort of roid rage mentality is the reason I always hated and will still hate this dude. I'm not sure I agree with all the safety measures but I'm so glad this type of chicken shit play is being removed from the league.
Funny enough, now he's saying he never paid bounty money but absolutely did not clarify when he overtly said the man handed him an envelope: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29179261/james-harrison-says-steelers-mike-tomlin-never-had-bounty-system
-
I'm sure you've seen but: https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/james-harrison-on-massaquoi-hit-i-would-have-tried-to-kill-him-if-i-knew-i-would-be-fined/
What a roided out POS. You know, it isn't about the dude hitting hard. It's about making the statement that you would try to kill someone on the football field. That sort of roid rage mentality is the reason I always hated and will still hate this dude. I'm not sure I agree with all the safety measures but I'm so glad this type of chicken shit play is being removed from the league.
Funny enough, now he's saying he never paid bounty money but absolutely did not clarify when he overtly said the man handed him an envelope: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29179261/james-harrison-says-steelers-mike-tomlin-never-had-bounty-system
It's about making the statement that you would try to kill
Yeah, that's sad. And it has no place in 'sportsmanship'. But it's that type of person that coaches looked for in a defensive player. Obviously, society has progressed and the NFL was pressured to stop that type of thing by concussion awareness. (that's what it took however, was concussion awareness)
-
And to think, he went to Coventry HS here in the Akron area. Just a couple of miles down the road from where I had my office.
-
Most NFL players are dumb as rocks like this guy. They get paid to smash into things, not have a brain. I hope the NFL investigates this and then does nothing cuz it’s the Steelers
-
Most NFL players are dumb as rocks like this guy. They get paid to smash into things, not have a brain. I hope the NFL investigates this and then does nothing cuz it’s the Steelers
Most NFL players are dumb as rocks like this guy. They get paid to smash into things, not have a brain. I hope the NFL investigates this and then does nothing cuz it’s the Steelers
Everyone is so hot and bothered about JH's and MT's role in this...talk about not thinking. Where do you think the cash came from in that envelop? Tomlin's pocket? No way. Rooneys provided that cash. And it was to hook up JH for a fine that wasn't even flagged on the field. JH is right in that it was not a bounty. Not the same thing.
-
MoMass should sue Tomlin and Harrison after this.
-
Just MoMass? Hell... there are enough Browns to qualify for class action. Can start by adding Colt and Cribbs to the list...
If... and I mean if... he was paid a bounty, then MoMass wasn't his only payday.
Harrison did more than any other player I can think of to bring about the illegal contact rules... and rightfully so.
That said, if he'd played a decade or four earlier, then he'd have been heralded for his "tough" play. Of course a couple OLs would have wrecked at least one of knees in retaliation.
-
Just MoMass? Hell... there are enough Browns to qualify for class action. Can start by adding Colt and Cribbs to the list...
If... and I mean if... he was paid a bounty, then MoMass wasn't his only payday.
Harrison did more than any other player I can think of to bring about the illegal contact rules... and rightfully so.
That said, if he'd played a decade or four earlier, then he'd have been heralded for his "tough" play. Of course a couple OLs would have wrecked at least one of knees in retaliation.
That said, if he'd played a decade or four earlier, then he'd have been heralded for his "tough" play.
That's right. And what Harrison said was innocent compared to the words uttered below.
Below are 2 quotes from a DE from a different era.
You may not be old enough to have watched this DE play. He was worshipped. I'm sure Gipper remembers him well and worshipped him.
Can you guess who this player is? Imagine Harrison or any player speaking like this today:
You got this 260 pounds up to 4.5 (referring to himself)and you got an angle on him, he should go to the hospital, and that's exactly what I tried to do. No remorse in my heart, I tried to put him in the hospital every time I tackled. I wanted to hit and put my back into it, you know, Boom! That's gonna provide that shot that's gonna put the intimidating fear of God into that running back. Let him know and make him go back to that huddle and say to that quarterback. "Dammit, I'm not running in ******* area anymore." So each time he came over there, I tried to tear his damn head off.
“When I see guys huddling up after the game, to pray, that’s what scares me about the game. I’m a Baptist, but I’m also a quarterback killer, and I ain’t praying with you. But I will give you 30 seconds to ask your Lord and master to keep me from killing you.”
-
Gorka - Yes, that was the attitude. I'm not sure which player said those things....it could've been so many. Chris Collinsworth said that he used to return KO's (or was it punts?) and he said, the guys on the field for those plays want nothing more than to tear your head off.
In reality, it was never 'right'. There is no place for that kind of attitude in sports. BUT, that's the way it was, and one knew that going in.
-
Gorka - Yes, that was the attitude. I'm not sure which player said those things....it could've been so many. Chris Collinsworth said that he used to return KO's (or was it punts?) and he said, the guys on the field for those plays want nothing more than to tear your head off.
In reality, it was never 'right'. There is no place for that kind of attitude in sports. BUT, that's the way it was, and one knew that going in.
Gorka - Yes, that was the attitude. I'm not sure which player said those things....it could've been so many. Chris Collinsworth said that he used to return KO's (or was it punts?) and he said, the guys on the field for those plays want nothing more than to tear your head off.
In reality, it was never 'right'. There is no place for that kind of attitude in sports. BUT, that's the way it was, and one knew that going in.
And guess who's else attitude it was? We the fans. We used to love that shit. Prior to the new rules brought about by players like Harrison and Whines Hard, and the heightened concern for player safety , there was an NFL segment on Monday Night Football called "Jacked Up" where they showed the most brutal and violent hits of the week, and like Romans in the Coliseum we cheered.
-
That said, if he'd played a decade or four earlier, then he'd have been heralded for his "tough" play.
That's right. And what Harrison said was innocent compared to the words uttered below.
Below are 2 quotes from a DE from a different era.
You may not be old enough to have watched this DE play. He was worshipped. I'm sure Gipper remembers him well and worshipped him.
Can you guess who this player is? Imagine Harrison or any player speaking like this today:
You got this 260 pounds up to 4.5 (referring to himself)and you got an angle on him, he should go to the hospital, and that's exactly what I tried to do. No remorse in my heart, I tried to put him in the hospital every time I tackled. I wanted to hit and put my back into it, you know, Boom! That's gonna provide that shot that's gonna put the intimidating fear of God into that running back. Let him know and make him go back to that huddle and say to that quarterback. "Dammit, I'm not running in ******* area anymore." So each time he came over there, I tried to tear his damn head off.
“When I see guys huddling up after the game, to pray, that’s what scares me about the game. I’m a Baptist, but I’m also a quarterback killer, and I ain’t praying with you. But I will give you 30 seconds to ask your Lord and master to keep me from killing you.”
You got this 260 pounds up to 4.5 (referring to himself)and you got an angle on him, he should go to the hospital, and that's exactly what I tried to do. No remorse in my heart, I tried to put him in the hospital every time I tackled. I wanted to hit and put my back into it, you know, Boom! That's gonna provide that shot that's gonna put the intimidating fear of God into that running back. Let him know and make him go back to that huddle and say to that quarterback. "Dammit, I'm not running in ******* area anymore." So each time he came over there, I tried to tear his damn head off.
Gotta be Bednarik taling about how he KO'd Frank Gifford.
Every year during 2-a-days my HS staff showed us a Bednarik film... think it was called Search and Destroy or some such thing.
EDIT: But Chuck wasn't that big, so now thinkin' Butkus.
The other quote seems like it should be Deacon Jones, but less sure of it.
Right or wrong, Deacon was also responsible for a rules change. Can you name it?
-
You got this 260 pounds up to 4.5 (referring to himself)and you got an angle on him, he should go to the hospital, and that's exactly what I tried to do. No remorse in my heart, I tried to put him in the hospital every time I tackled. I wanted to hit and put my back into it, you know, Boom! That's gonna provide that shot that's gonna put the intimidating fear of God into that running back. Let him know and make him go back to that huddle and say to that quarterback. "Dammit, I'm not running in ******* area anymore." So each time he came over there, I tried to tear his damn head off.
Gotta be Bednarik taling about how he KO'd Frank Gifford.
Every year during 2-a-days my HS staff showed us a Bednarik film... think it was called Search and Destroy or some such thing.
EDIT: But Chuck wasn't that big, so now thinkin' Butkus.
The other quote seems like it should be Deacon Jones, but less sure of it.
Right or wrong, Deacon was also responsible for a rules change. Can you name it?
Gotta be Bednarik taling about how he KO'd Frank Gifford.
Every year during 2-a-days my HS staff showed us a Bednarik film... think it was called Search and Destroy or some such thing.
The other quote seems like it should be Deacon Jones, but less sure of it.
Right or wrong, Deacon was also responsible for a rules change. Can you name it?
You were right with your second guess. It was Deacon Jones.
There used to be an NFL YouTube video of him saying this. Spent 15 min trying to find the thing. Must have been removed.
Glad I was able to find the quote in an article.
The rule change was head slapping.
-
Gotta be Bednarik taling about how he KO'd Frank Gifford.
Every year during 2-a-days my HS staff showed us a Bednarik film... think it was called Search and Destroy or some such thing.
The other quote seems like it should be Deacon Jones, but less sure of it.
Right or wrong, Deacon was also responsible for a rules change. Can you name it?
You were right with your second guess. It was Deacon Jones.
There used to be an NFL YouTube video of him saying this. Spent 15 min trying to find the thing. Must have been removed.
Glad I was able to find the quote in an article.
The rule change was head slapping.
-
-
-
-
Gorka - Yes, that was the attitude. I'm not sure which player said those things....it could've been so many. Chris Collinsworth said that he used to return KO's (or was it punts?) and he said, the guys on the field for those plays want nothing more than to tear your head off.
In reality, it was never 'right'. There is no place for that kind of attitude in sports. BUT, that's the way it was, and one knew that going in.
And guess who's else attitude it was? We the fans. We used to love that shit. Prior to the new rules brought about by players like Harrison and Whines Hard, and the heightened concern for player safety , there was an NFL segment on Monday Night Football called "Jacked Up" where they showed the most brutal and violent hits of the week, and like Romans in the Coliseum we cheered.
and like Romans in the Coliseum we cheered.
That's the exact analogy I was thinking as I read your post.
A DE engaged with blockers should NEVER have had to fear some little guy sneaking around to his blind side and torpedoing in at the side of the his knees.
It was never 'right' that as a receiver, you could be stretched out, horizontal in the air, reaching to make a catch.....and some DB who's not making a play on the ball, doesn't give a rats ass about the ball frankly, is zeroing in on YOU to smash you to oblivion. That was never right.
People want to say that the D can't do anything any more. Well, they can't do the things that they should never have been allowed to do in the first place.
-
The guy just loves to hear himself talk it seems. Even after he has been retired.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login