Skip to content

James Harrison doing James Harrison things

The Browns Board
27 11 947 1
  • @gorka said:

    You were right with your second guess.

    So with my late edit I was 1 for 3. HOF average...

    1 for 4 if you count my missing it was only one player to be ID'd... so much for the HOF...

    But do you know Deacon's rule change?

    @tour2ma said:

    So with my late edit I was 1 for 3. HOF average...

    1 for 4 if you count my missing it was only one player to be ID'd... so much for the HOF...

    But do you know Deacon's rule change?

    Yes, I edited my post...head slapping.

  • @tour2ma said:

    So with my late edit I was 1 for 3. HOF average...

    1 for 4 if you count my missing it was only one player to be ID'd... so much for the HOF...

    But do you know Deacon's rule change?

    Yes, I edited my post...head slapping.

    @gorka said:

    Yes, I edited my post...head slapping.

    lol... the curse of the slow edit got both of us...

    EDIT: Correctamundo...

  • @gorka said:

    Yes, I edited my post...head slapping.

    lol... the curse of the slow edit got both of us...

    EDIT: Correctamundo...

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... the curse of the slow edit got both of us...

    For sure.

    Check this out...now imagine if this were said today..

    "Any time you go upside a mans head, or a woman's, they have a tendency to blink...."

    The words "or a woman's" were edited out of Jones documentaries on YouTube.

  • @orion said:

    Gorka - Yes, that was the attitude.  I'm not sure which player said those things....it could've been so many.  Chris Collinsworth said that he used to return KO's (or was it punts?) and he said, the guys on the field for those plays want nothing more than to tear your head off.

    In reality, it was never 'right'.  There is no place for that kind of attitude in sports.  BUT, that's the way it was, and one knew that going in.

    And guess who's else attitude it was?  We the fans. We used to love that shit.  Prior to the new rules brought about by players like Harrison and Whines Hard, and the heightened concern for player safety , there was an NFL segment on Monday Night Football called "Jacked Up" where they showed the most brutal and violent hits of the week, and like Romans in the Coliseum we cheered. 

    @gorka said:

    and like Romans in the Coliseum we cheered.

    That's the exact analogy I was thinking as I read your post.

    A DE engaged with blockers should NEVER have had to fear some little guy sneaking around to his blind side and torpedoing in at the side of the his knees. 

    It was never 'right' that as a receiver, you could be stretched out, horizontal in the air, reaching to make a catch.....and some DB who's not making a play on the ball, doesn't give a rats ass about the ball frankly, is zeroing in on YOU to smash you to oblivion.  That was never right.

    People want to say that the D can't do anything any more.  Well, they can't do the things that they should never have been allowed to do in the first place.

  • The guy just loves to hear himself talk it seems. Even after he has been retired.

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol... the curse of the slow edit got both of us...

    For sure.

    Check this out...now imagine if this were said today..

    "Any time you go upside a mans head, or a woman's, they have a tendency to blink...."

    The words "or a woman's" were edited out of Jones documentaries on YouTube.

    @gorka said:

    Check this out...now imagine if this were said today..

    "Any time you go upside a mans head, or a woman's, they have a tendency to blink...."

    Ever been to a "traditional", full-on, Southern Baptist wedding?

    The vows are right out of the Stone-Age... but do stop just short of permitting the man to club his wife and drag her into the cave by her hair.

  • @gorka said:

    and like Romans in the Coliseum we cheered.

    That's the exact analogy I was thinking as I read your post.

    A DE engaged with blockers should NEVER have had to fear some little guy sneaking around to his blind side and torpedoing in at the side of the his knees. 

    It was never 'right' that as a receiver, you could be stretched out, horizontal in the air, reaching to make a catch.....and some DB who's not making a play on the ball, doesn't give a rats ass about the ball frankly, is zeroing in on YOU to smash you to oblivion.  That was never right.

    People want to say that the D can't do anything any more.  Well, they can't do the things that they should never have been allowed to do in the first place.

    @orion said:

    That's the exact analogy I was thinking as I read your post.

    A DE engaged with blockers should NEVER have had to fear some little guy sneaking around to his blind side and torpedoing in at the side of the his knees.  

    It was never 'right' that as a receiver, you could be stretched out, horizontal in the air, reaching to make a catch.....and some DB who's not making a play on the ball, doesn't give a rats ass about the ball frankly, is zeroing in on YOU to smash you to oblivion.  That was never right.

    People want to say that the D can't do anything any more.  Well, they can't do the things that they should never have been allowed to do in the first place.

    DTs, too... 😉, but as I said before there was a day when OLs would even scores... or in the case of The Longest Yard... QBs. 🙂

    Post reminded me that there are still those here who revere Joe "Turkey" Jones... 🙄

    On the WRs... I don't recall a rule change following Daryl Stingley's career-ending injury, but it might have started the movement towards them. Bleacher attributes that hit to bringing on the the reduction of the WR contact limit from 10 to 5 yards (I honestly do not remember the 10-yard rule), but I always looked at the 5-yard rule as a means of freeing WRs to open up the passing game. If it was meant to reduce injury, then I'd make the counter case that freeing WRs earlier to allow them to reach top speed sooner only served to increase the violence potential of collisions. It does make me wonder if the contact limit, be it after 5 or 10-yards, made things worse.

    Later the original defenseless receiver rule started to protect them from hits leaping for "uncatchable throws"... uncatchable high throws in particular. At least that's what I remember.

    Speaking of Tatum... stumbled across this vid from a SB pre-game show...

  • And one thing I want to make clear is that if James played for the Browns in his prime, I'd still feel the same way. Attitude like that is honestly the reason kids aren't playing the sport anymore. It's a sad joke.

  • And one thing I want to make clear is that if James played for the Browns in his prime, I'd still feel the same way. Attitude like that is honestly the reason kids aren't playing the sport anymore. It's a sad joke.

    @jrb12711 said:

    And one thing I want to make clear is that if James played for the Browns in his prime, I'd still feel the same way. Attitude like that is honestly the reason kids aren't playing the sport anymore. It's a sad joke.

    Even if the three players he knocked into next week were Steelers?

    Sure ya would.

  • @orion said:

    That's the exact analogy I was thinking as I read your post.

    A DE engaged with blockers should NEVER have had to fear some little guy sneaking around to his blind side and torpedoing in at the side of the his knees.  

    It was never 'right' that as a receiver, you could be stretched out, horizontal in the air, reaching to make a catch.....and some DB who's not making a play on the ball, doesn't give a rats ass about the ball frankly, is zeroing in on YOU to smash you to oblivion.  That was never right.

    People want to say that the D can't do anything any more.  Well, they can't do the things that they should never have been allowed to do in the first place.

    DTs, too... 😉, but as I said before there was a day when OLs would even scores... or in the case of The Longest Yard... QBs. 🙂

    Post reminded me that there are still those here who revere Joe "Turkey" Jones... 🙄

    On the WRs... I don't recall a rule change following Daryl Stingley's career-ending injury, but it might have started the movement towards them. Bleacher attributes that hit to bringing on the the reduction of the WR contact limit from 10 to 5 yards (I honestly do not remember the 10-yard rule), but I always looked at the 5-yard rule as a means of freeing WRs to open up the passing game. If it was meant to reduce injury, then I'd make the counter case that freeing WRs earlier to allow them to reach top speed sooner only served to increase the violence potential of collisions. It does make me wonder if the contact limit, be it after 5 or 10-yards, made things worse.

    Later the original defenseless receiver rule started to protect them from hits leaping for "uncatchable throws"... uncatchable high throws in particular. At least that's what I remember.

    Speaking of Tatum... stumbled across this vid from a SB pre-game show...

    @tour2ma said:

    DTs, too... 😉, but as I said before there was a day when OLs would even scores... or in the case of The Longest Yard... QBs. 🙂

    Post reminded me that there are still those here who revere Joe "Turkey" Jones... 🙄

    On the WRs... I don't recall a rule change following Daryl Stingley's career-ending injury, but it might have started the movement towards them. Bleacher attributes that hit to bringing on the the reduction of the WR contact limit from 10 to 5 yards (I honestly do not remember the 10-yard rule), but I always looked at the 5-yard rule as a means of freeing WRs to open up the passing game. If it was meant to reduce injury, then I'd make the counter case that freeing WRs earlier to allow them to reach top speed sooner only served to increase the violence potential of collisions. It does make me wonder if the contact limit, be it after 5 or 10-yards, made things worse.

    Later the original defenseless receiver rule started to protect them from hits leaping for "uncatchable throws"... uncatchable high throws in particular. At least that's what I remember.

    Speaking of Tatum... stumbled across this vid from a SB pre-game show...

    Can you imagine what the suspension would be now if someone did "the Turkey" pile driver on a QB? Year minimum. 

    Regarding Tatum- one of our HS alums played at Ohio State alongside The Assassin. Said to get revved up before a game, Jack would smash his head against a locker until it bent in- without a helmet on. 

  • @jrb12711 said:

    And one thing I want to make clear is that if James played for the Browns in his prime, I'd still feel the same way. Attitude like that is honestly the reason kids aren't playing the sport anymore. It's a sad joke.

    Even if the three players he knocked into next week were Steelers?

    Sure ya would.

    @gorka said:

    Even if the three players he knocked into next week were Steelers?

    Sure ya would.

    Yes, that’s literally why I said it. I’d be embarrassed if any Cleveland Brown was on a mission to kill someone. It’s sad to see you clearly feel differently.

  • The guy just loves to hear himself talk it seems. Even after he has been retired.

    @jppt1974 said:

    The guy just loves to hear himself talk it seems. Even after he has been retired.

    He gets paid to talk now.