TRAINING CAMP
-
Official site update
Camp off and running
Zac Jackson, Staff Writer
08.01.2009
One training camp practice is in the books. If you weren't part of the large, enthusiastic crowd on hand Saturday morning, here's a little of what you missed...
**Brady Quinn got the first snap with the first-team offense, but head coach Eric Mangini said the reps will be split evenly between Quinn and Derek Anderson until a starter is declared.
"We'll alternate depending on day and teaching progression," Mangini said. "They'll get an equal amount of reps and they'll be equally distributed through different segments -- red area, third down, two-minute. We'll track the reps daily, as we track all the reps daily."
**A couple rookie linebackers made an impression in an early one-on-one blitz drill against running backs. Kaluka Maiava got the better end of a big collision with Charles Ali, then blew past James Davis. David Veikune laid a big hit on Lawrence Vickers, but on Vickers' next rep he stepped up and knocked Beau Bell back. Veikune later beat Jamal Lewis with a swim move.
**On the first play of the inside run drill, Lewis drew a round of applause after finding traffic on a run to the right and making a nifty cut back to daylight on the left side. A few plays later, Ali got one back for the fullbacks when he delivered a punishing lead block on Veikune.
**Ryan Tucker said he did contemplate retirement following minicamp, but said he's now in a good frame of mind and anxious for his 13th NFL season. Tucker has battled injuries the last couple years but said he's worked hard to come back and being around his teammates has him ready for football. Tucker was clean shaven and wearing his hair short for the first time "since second grade," he joked.
**Steve Heiden, who's rehabbing from a December knee injury, practiced but wore a red "no contact" jersey. Robaire Smith, who suffered a torn Achilles tendon last September, practiced and said he's making progress, but he also said he's not full-go yet.
**Not that any lineup is even close to set on the first day, but the first offensive line looked like this, from left to right: Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Hank Fraley, Floyd Womack, John St. Clair. The second line, in the same listing order: Isaac Sowells, Rex Hadnot, Alex Mack, Tucker, George Foster.
**The first defensive line had Shaun Rogers at nose flanked by Kenyon Coleman and C.J. Mosley at the ends. On the second line, Robaire and Shaun Smith were at end with Ahtyba Rubin at nose.
**In a later one-on-one drill, Rogers welcomed Alex Mack to the NFL by pushing the rookie five or six yards back off the snap.
**In a 7-on-7 drill, Mike Adams intercepted a Derek Anderson pass. On Anderson's next throw, he threw a dart to the sideline to Syndric Steptoe after getting Brandon McDonald to bite on a pump fake.
**Phil Dawson kicked the session-ending field goal on extra-narrow goal posts at the northeast end of the practice fields, another thing new to the Browns. After practice, Mangini said he wasn't sure exactly how wide the small target was. Dawson said he liked the challenge: "Make the slightest little mistake, and you're going to miss."
-
DA looks better than anyone in the league when he actually makes those nice deep poised throws but its my understanding that DA missed some short and medium passes and had some miscues as well...im sorry i cant give the edge to the guy who hits a couple beautiful deepballs but messed some fundamental stuff up...hehehehe
I wasnt there and am going off of secondary info it will be interesting to here some of the board guys who were there...

-
Veikune is one guy I am especially watching in the preseason. Everyone knows by now that we desperately need some semblance of a pass rush so that Ryan can put his blitz packages where his mouth is.
If the Hawaiian Punch can emerge as that long-coveted rush linebacker, then it opens up a bunch of possibilities for Ryan to utilize the rest of the defense like he wants.
-
@shepwrite said:
OBR did a report. Highlights:- Both Robaire and Corey were full go and looked good.
- J-Lew looked thinner, quick, and healthy.
- James Davis really accelerates through a hole.
- Robiskie and Furrey both looked "smooth and quick" at the WRs.
- Quinn and Anderson were mostly good with some bad throws mixed in. The usual. Quinn was quick and decisive and in rhythm in the short to medium but Anderson had more nice downfield throws.
- Starting OL was Thomas, Steinbach, FRALEY, Womack, St. Clair. I assume Fraley is being shown respect.
Thanks for the CAMP REPORT!
As for BOTH QB's...I think they need a couple weeks to get going.
-
@shepwrite said:
I think the consensus is that Anderson looked better this morning:Aug 1st, 2009 @ 11:45 am by Steve Doerschuk
The loose Derek Anderson, as opposed to the uptight one whose 2008 went south, is back.
During pauses in practice, D.A. was kidding around, drawing laughs from teammates and fans (quite a crowd on hand).
During drills, his throws were on the money, with zip, every time we watched him let one go.
Anderson let out a sarcastic “obviously” when asked if he feels a better vibe at the start of camp than he did in the spring. Neither he nor Brady Quinn looked good in the spring.
Quinn had a steady morning practice.
_________________________________________________
Anderson had 2 TDs and a pick. Quinn had 0/0, kept it short but was sharp.
How exactly does this mean the "consensus" thinks Anderson did better? Because he threw 2 TDs? He also threw an interception (shocker). If Quinn's squad scores twice via the ground game he still has lead them to 14 points, without throwing a pick.
I'd have to see comp/att stats and total drives and % of scores on the drives to determine who is faring better. But, to me it's pointless to even compare until we have 1-2 weeks of camp finished.
And joking around during practice? He should, he's making $$$$ playing football and it's day 1 of practice. Of course, he was also observed smiling on the sidelines after he threw a pick to lose a game last year.
-
@shepwrite said:
I think the consensus is that Anderson looked better this morning:Aug 1st, 2009 @ 11:45 am by Steve Doerschuk
The loose Derek Anderson, as opposed to the uptight one whose 2008 went south, is back.
During pauses in practice, D.A. was kidding around, drawing laughs from teammates and fans (quite a crowd on hand).
During drills, his throws were on the money, with zip, every time we watched him let one go.
Anderson let out a sarcastic “obviously” when asked if he feels a better vibe at the start of camp than he did in the spring. Neither he nor Brady Quinn looked good in the spring.
Quinn had a steady morning practice.
_________________________________________________
Anderson had 2 TDs and a pick. Quinn had 0/0, kept it short but was sharp.
Thanks for the HONEST report. Even though you obviously prefer Quinn, I have to give you credit for reporting the facts. Good job.
-
After 2+ years of DA. We all know what DA can and can't do. We need to find out what Quinn can do over the same 20+ game span. Give the kid a chance finally.
Also, here's a good site that gives highlights by the hour.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/CLE
Looks like Quinn threw a "deep" TD later in the day. Imagine that, Quinn can throw a "deep" ball after all. (sarcasm of course)
-
After 2+ years of DA. We all know what DA can and can't do. We need to find out what Quinn can do over the same 20+ game span. Give the kid a chance finally.
Also, here's a good site that gives highlights by the hour.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/CLE
Looks like Quinn threw a "deep" TD later in the day. Imagine that, Quinn can throw a "deep" ball after all. (sarcasm of course)
Well, I don't really favor Quinn so to speak, but I am in favor of giving him a chance after 2+ years of DA. We all know what DA can and can't do. We need to find out what Quinn can do over the same 20+ game span. Give the kid a chance finally.
Also, here's a good site that gives highlights by the hour.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/CLE
Looks like Quinn threw a "deep" TD later in the day. Imagine that, Quinn can throw a "deep" ball after all. (sarcasm of course)
I was actually referring to Shep. But since your a newbie. I'll let it slide.
-
you know, to be honest... I could care less if DA is good at the short passes.
When the offense clicked the last two years, he wasn't just managing the game, he was one of the guys that made it go. He was incredible.
I don't want a game manager. I want a star.
DA could be a star, its yet to be seen if he can be one consistently.
I have yet to see what Quinn can do. He may be able to be a star as well.
But I'd rather a gunslinger, a gambler, than another Trent Dilfer.
DA threw two TD's and 1 INT today.
Quinn was consistent but nothing special.
I give it to DA for day 1.
-
you know, to be honest... I could care less if DA is good at the short passes.
When the offense clicked the last two years, he wasn't just managing the game, he was one of the guys that made it go. He was incredible.
I don't want a game manager. I want a star.
DA could be a star, its yet to be seen if he can be one consistently.
I have yet to see what Quinn can do. He may be able to be a star as well.
But I'd rather a gunslinger, a gambler, than another Trent Dilfer.
DA threw two TD's and 1 INT today.
Quinn was consistent but nothing special.
I give it to DA for day 1.
you know, to be honest... I could care less if DA is good at the short passes.
When the offense clicked the last two years, he wasn't just managing the game, he was one of the guys that made it go. He was incredible.
I don't want a game manager. I want a star.
DA could be a star, its yet to be seen if he can be one consistently.
I have yet to see what Quinn can do. He may be able to be a star as well.
But I'd rather a gunslinger, a gambler, than another Trent Dilfer.
DA threw two TD's and 1 INT today.
Quinn was consistent but nothing special.
I give it to DA for day 1.
Well Quinn hit Leggett for a deep TD. So thats 1/0 for Quinn and 2/1 for DA
-
David Veikune looks big as hell in the raw footage video's on the browns website. He is going to be a force for years to come.
-
Great pics. Keep 'em coming guys.
-
After 2+ years of DA. We all know what DA can and can't do. We need to find out what Quinn can do over the same 20+ game span. Give the kid a chance finally.
Also, here's a good site that gives highlights by the hour.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/CLE
Looks like Quinn threw a "deep" TD later in the day. Imagine that, Quinn can throw a "deep" ball after all. (sarcasm of course)
After 2+ years of DA. We all know what DA can and can't do. We need to find out what Quinn can do over the same 20+ game span. Give the kid a chance finally.
Also, here's a good site that gives highlights by the hour.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/CLE
Looks like Quinn threw a "deep" TD later in the day. Imagine that, Quinn can throw a "deep" ball after all. (sarcasm of course)
Same highlight page says Anderson looking sharp on short and medium range throws.
-
you know, to be honest... I could care less if DA is good at the short passes.
When the offense clicked the last two years, he wasn't just managing the game, he was one of the guys that made it go. He was incredible.
I don't want a game manager. I want a star.
DA could be a star, its yet to be seen if he can be one consistently.
I have yet to see what Quinn can do. He may be able to be a star as well.
But I'd rather a gunslinger, a gambler, than another Trent Dilfer.
DA threw two TD's and 1 INT today.
Quinn was consistent but nothing special.
I give it to DA for day 1.
Well Quinn hit Leggett for a deep TD. So thats 1/0 for Quinn and 2/1 for DA
Well Quinn hit Leggett for a deep TD. So thats 1/0 for Quinn and 2/1 for DA
Per Marla Ridenour, Quinn's TD throw to Leggett occurred during one on one drills. Steve Doerschuk says that Brandon McDonald picked BQ off twice during those drills (though only one, an underthrown deep ball, was his fault).
-
@shepwrite said:
I think the consensus is that Anderson looked better this morning:Aug 1st, 2009 @ 11:45 am by Steve Doerschuk
The loose Derek Anderson, as opposed to the uptight one whose 2008 went south, is back.
During pauses in practice, D.A. was kidding around, drawing laughs from teammates and fans (quite a crowd on hand).
During drills, his throws were on the money, with zip, every time we watched him let one go.
Anderson let out a sarcastic “obviously” when asked if he feels a better vibe at the start of camp than he did in the spring. Neither he nor Brady Quinn looked good in the spring.
Quinn had a steady morning practice.
_________________________________________________
Anderson had 2 TDs and a pick. Quinn had 0/0, kept it short but was sharp.
Brady, dispite reports did throw the ball downfield, and showed some very good arm strength. Seemed a little stronger then last year. And I saw the same shotput balls to the backs from Anderson. A couple of deep balls looked real pretty, but then again he didn't have anyone in his face and didn't have to look off a receiver or read a defense. He always looks great in the 7 on 7 drills.
It certainly wasn't the consensus, at best it was a draw. Quinn looked very smooth running the offense, DA looked like DA, enough said. This spin is amasing.
-
Atenears & Rifferx, hook-up for the Browns Training Camp Party at the Upper Deck

-
I wouldn't put much into the teams first training camp session. I agree with reports that they seemed to be more up-tempo than in the past and I was surprised to see them in full pads and making some contact already.
I've seen coaches have hard hitting camps and then be criticized for the injuries that followed, and I've seen camps with little hitting and the coach be blamed for the injuries that followed because they weren't prepared to be hit ... I favor a little combination of both.
With every pass that had zip on the ball, or floated, we tried to note who was QB'ing. As I reported, most action was on the far field, tucked in the corner where they hoard the media and VIP wine-n-cheese visitors, so match-ups, or who was taking more snaps with first-stringers was hard to note.
Anderson roped some pretty deep balls, but I also seen him grossly under-throw a receiver, who had to wait for it and it still fell short and incomplete. One concern I had with Brady Quinn was watching him take the snap and roll-out, have to roll deeper or longer than he might of wanted do to penetration from the defense, but then he seemed to just launch the ball in an almost hook-shot type motion. It was the kind of play you might see from a kid getting chased by his older brother and just launching the ball wildly before he became part of smear-the-queer. I should note, that the pass was completed at the sideline though, but still made me cringe. Anderson halted one play by spiking the ball at his linemens feet, which got a groan from the crowd.
As I reported earlier, I really thought the drill from the QB's, who were off working on their own was interesting and telling. They had the QB's themselves running pass patterns instead of just standing flat footed in line awaiting their turn at the helm. The drill had them involved, running the patterns they would be required to know. I would think that this was a great way to solidify the plays in these guys heads.
Ryan Tucker came into the autograph tent and seemed to be having trouble focusing. His eye's were blinking a lot and he rubbed them and at one pointed leaned over to Joe Thomas and made a comment about not being able to get focused. These guys were winded from just having finished camp. They sat there peeling off wads of tape from their wrists ... but to me, something wasn't right about Tucker. Could have been that he had just allowed sweat to roll into his eye's, but in my mind it appeared to be more of a medical condition. Good thing he don't play a position to have to see down field.
Harrison always looks good at these camps. He's one of those backs that zigs and zags, leaps and jumps, and after the defense holds up as there is no finished contact in the drill, Harrison (and many backs like him) turn the corner and sprint up the field as if he got a break-away. So be cautious when reading how great he looked ... his problem has been breaking those shoe-string tackles on normal plays that don't get him the ball in the open flat ... he's always a 'big man' when there is no tackling.
On some of the long pass completions ... let it be known, that the pass defense was non-existent, and lagging way behind. That should be the story, not the gay QB controversy that fuels the fans.
-
Well Quinn hit Leggett for a deep TD. So thats 1/0 for Quinn and 2/1 for DA
Per Marla Ridenour, Quinn's TD throw to Leggett occurred during one on one drills. Steve Doerschuk says that Brandon McDonald picked BQ off twice during those drills (though only one, an underthrown deep ball, was his fault).
Aloysius said:
Per Marla Ridenour, Quinn's TD throw to Leggett occurred during one on one drills. Steve Doerschuk says that Brandon McDonald picked BQ off twice during those drills (though only one, an underthrown deep ball, was his fault).Don't sleep on B-mac. I think too many here are trying to Bill Buckner him with his whiff in the final moments against Denver (when it was clearly Jones fault that the mistake turned into a TD - in the film you can see McDonald motioning for help over the top before the ball was snapped).
He's a solid CB. That will show when Elam hits the field.
-
you know, to be honest... I could care less if DA is good at the short passes.
When the offense clicked the last two years, he wasn't just managing the game, he was one of the guys that made it go. He was incredible.
I don't want a game manager. I want a star.
DA could be a star, its yet to be seen if he can be one consistently.
I have yet to see what Quinn can do. He may be able to be a star as well.
But I'd rather a gunslinger, a gambler, than another Trent Dilfer.
DA threw two TD's and 1 INT today.
Quinn was consistent but nothing special.
I give it to DA for day 1.
you know, to be honest... I could care less if DA is good at the short passes.
When the offense clicked the last two years, he wasn't just managing the game, he was one of the guys that made it go. He was incredible.
He was the worst ranked offensive player on the team in '07 and the worst ranked QB in the NFL in '08. How so?
I don't want a game manager. I want a star.
Mangini seems to have more of a game manager style to me. I'm not sure he wants a swing for the fences approach.
DA could be a star, its yet to be seen if he can be one consistently.
He has been given his chance.
I have yet to see what Quinn can do. He may be able to be a star as well.
He has yet to be given his chance.
But I'd rather a gunslinger, a gambler, than another Trent Dilfer. DA threw two TD's and 1 INT today. Quinn was consistent but nothing special.
I see the attraction of a big arm at QB. It's amazing the way DA can throw deep. However, I get the feeling Mangini is not the type to be wowed by it. He seems to be the type of coach who wants game management, no mistakes, ball control, and safe/high percentage passes. All of this favors Quinn.
We're all starting to buy into Mangini's QB competition line. I do believe he wants to see what both can do, but I still think Quinn can only lose this thing is he stinks up the place. A draw favors Quinn.
-
@jadbf said:
I'd just like to ask PLEASE let's not get into the tired old QB debates here. We can do those in another thread. The info being given by those that were actually at the practices is incredible. Thanks guys! if you want to debate what happened in 2007 and 2008 take it to another thread.Brady rules DA drools.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login