Skip to content

What if they cannot play this year...

The Browns Board
21 14 896
  • What are some of the ripple effects?

    Does a team go up for sale?  Does Big Ben, Brady or Brees retire?  (probably not Brady I'd guess)  I assume that player contracts are extended a year.  Does Josh Gordon stay in limbo? (...tryin' to piss off Gipper here)  What happens to Mary Kay Cabot and her buddies?  Does the NFL Shop run big sales?   Do we fire our coaching staff and or front office again?  Does any coach get fired?  What?  We've been headed down an uncharted stream here since March.  What if they can't play?

    @orion said:

    What are some of the ripple effects?

    Does a team go up for sale?  Does Big Ben, Brady or Brees retire?  (probably not Brady I'd guess)  I assume that player contracts are extended a year.  Does Josh Gordon stay in limbo? (...tryin' to piss off Gipper here)  What happens to Mary Kay Cabot and her buddies?  Does the NFL Shop run big sales?   Do we fire our coaching staff and or front office again?  Does any coach get fired?  What?  We've been headed down an uncharted stream here since March.  What if they can't play?

    That’s a lotta questions. I will answer one of them.

    Yes.

    You’re welcome.

  • I think the league will do everything it possibly can to keep a team from having to sell.

    Brady should have retired from NE. Was talking to a Steelers fan last week and he is expecting a great season from Ben. Brees probably should. A year off is hard.

    I give up on Gordon. Not because of weed but when you are getting paid millions you can follow the rules. Simple as that. 

    The group I feel the worse about are the stadium support staff (concessions, janitorial etc). They aren't high paid to start with and I doubt they are getting anything from the teams (Progessive field staff is worse off (80 games instead of 8).

  • To answer the OP's question 'What if they cannot play this year?'...

    Well, I may end up killing someone to relieve pent up stress then.

  • I think it is a real possibility the season gets cancelled. Golf is struggling with people getting Covid. Just imagine what happens when football starts? However, The NFL makes most of their money in tv and media contracts. Fans in the stands dent the wallet but they aren't going to force a team to sell. Especially not after the last few years. I'm assuming all contracts would be extended for another year since I don't believe contracts are official until they start active training camps. 

    That being said, I do worry about the Indians. Any chance of keeping Frankie is toast unless the Dolan's sell. Although, the market is going to be crushed so the idea of a player getting a $300 million contract are pretty much over. Who knows, maybe frankie will take a short 2 year deal to increase the window.

  • To answer the OP's question 'What if they cannot play this year?'...

    Well, I may end up killing someone to relieve pent up stress then.

    @tiamat63 said:

    To answer the OP's question 'What if they cannot play this year?'...

    Well, I may end up killing someone to relieve pent up stress then.

    OH GREAT!! I can see the thread starting now...."Who should Tia kill?"  😵

    Mike

  • @tiamat63 said:

    To answer the OP's question 'What if they cannot play this year?'...

    Well, I may end up killing someone to relieve pent up stress then.

    OH GREAT!! I can see the thread starting now...."Who should Tia kill?"  😵

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    OH GREAT!! I can see the thread starting now...."Who should Tia kill?"  😵

    Mike

    That'll really bring the community together to weather the storm of lacking football during the would-be season.

    I am honored to be that catalyst.

  • We better have some damn football.
    It has taken over 20 years to form a competitive team...

  • @canton-mike said:

    OH GREAT!! I can see the thread starting now...."Who should Tia kill?"  😵

    Mike

    That'll really bring the community together to weather the storm of lacking football during the would-be season.

    I am honored to be that catalyst.

    @tiamat63 said:

    That'll really bring the community together to weather the storm of lacking football during the would-be season.

    I am honored to be that catalyst.

    You must have liked the idea behind "The Purge" 

  • What will happen? It's obvious!

    Conservative militias will band together with all the guns they've been stockpiling and hit-and-run tactics they've been practicing for years, commit felony treason, and form the One True White Utopia they've been screaming about for decades.  Job 1 is throwing out the oppressors: Thousands of sheriffs and state police will die; within a month, tens of thousands of the US army will be ambushed and killed in various unexpected battles.

    You know: The South will rise again!

    Or maybe they're all too lazy and unorganized to actually do anything other than scream racist slogans and beat up old people.  Just another Thursday in Nashville!

  • @tiamat63 said:

    That'll really bring the community together to weather the storm of lacking football during the would-be season.

    I am honored to be that catalyst.

    You must have liked the idea behind "The Purge" 

    @nero said:

    You must have liked the idea behind "The Purge" 

    No.  Mindless violence en' mass is idiocy.  

    I'm more of someone who admires controlled violence with intelligence or purpose.   As Stanford calls it "intellectual brutality" 

  • We better have some damn football.
    It has taken over 20 years to form a competitive team...

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    We better have some damn football.
    It has taken over 20 years to form a competitive team...

    Did they put a press release out that they are competitive this year??

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    We better have some damn football.
    It has taken over 20 years to form a competitive team...

    Did they put a press release out that they are competitive this year??

    @footbalfan1962 said:

    Did they put a press release out that they are competitive this year??

    Yea, you just quoted it ?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    And this would be a horrible time to sell a NFL team. Remember, buy LOW, sell HIGH. 

    Absolutely.  I know we're talking about wealthy owners here and not your average restaurant owner...but can every owner in every market afford to not have a season?  Maybe they can.

    @orion said:

    Absolutely.  I know we're talking about wealthy owners here and not your average restaurant owner...but can every owner in every market afford to not have a season?  Maybe they can.

    But it might be a good time to buy an NFL team, stadium and trappings included.

    One man's bad timing can be another's good timing.   In the long run it all washes out.

  • We better have some damn football.
    It has taken over 20 years to form a competitive team...

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    We better have some damn football.
    It has taken over 20 years to form a competitive team...

    Bad luck ?  But maybe good luck for teams rebuilding.  😕

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    We better have some damn football.
    It has taken over 20 years to form a competitive team...

    Bad luck ?  But maybe good luck for teams rebuilding.  😕

    @mjp28 said:

    Bad luck ?  But maybe good luck for teams rebuilding.  😕

    Comical timing for Browns fans, imo. This time is tough on teams with lack of continuity.

    At least we have some consistencies now, such a Baker.

  • To answer the OP's question 'What if they cannot play this year?'...

    Well, I may end up killing someone to relieve pent up stress then.

    @tiamat63 said:

    To answer the OP's question 'What if they cannot play this year?'...

    Well, I may end up killing someone to relieve pent up stress then.

    God bless ya!  I needed that!

    Not to change the subject but I love exercise - I could watch it all day!