Skip to content

Career Assessment Time

The Browns Board
14 10 765 1
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    These 3 guys came into the league at the same time.    All are at or near the end of their careers.   Assess their careers:

    Att/Comp/pct:    Ben Roethlisberger:   4651/7230,  64.3%;    Phillip Rivers  4908/7591  64.7 %;   Eli Manning:  4895/8119  60.3%

    Yards:     BR: 56,454;  Rivers  59,271,  Eli 57,023

    TDs:  BR  363;  Rivers  397;  Eli  366

    Ints:  BR  191,   Rivers  198,  Eli  244

    YPA/YPC/YPG:   BR  7.8,  12.1, 259.4    Rivers:  7.8,  12.1,  260.0;   Eli: 7.0, 11.6, 241.6

    QB rating:   BR 94.0;   Rivers  95.1;  Eli  84.1

    Sacks:   BR  503;   Rivers  445;   Eli  411

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #2

    BR 2 SB's HOF

    EM 2 SB's HOF

    PR incomplete career..

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #3

    Career Assessment Time.  How fitting!  Today is the first day of my eleventh year at my place of employment.  Congrats to me.  🙂

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Also look at the teams they've been on over their careers, the better teams over time do boost quarterback numbers.

    And on the flip side quarterbacks performance can help team performance over time.

    One thing too their career numbers are pretty close separated maybe by SB trophies.

    I would say BR had the most consistent good talent to work with EM kind of up and down talent but PR is the hardest to judge he's had decent talent surrounding him -but- not the results to show for it....some maybe his fault.

    As far as who I would take as a starter 1. BR  2. EM  3. PR.    

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #5

    Eli’s two clutch Super Bowl moments (as an underdog) coupled with good numbers and a long career put him in the HOF. I’m saying 5-7 years after the fact but his NY market and good guy persona will Get him in sooner than that.

    Ben is ahead of Eli in the pecking order. 

    Rivers is essentially Marino and I s the perfect comparison when arguing for his induction. If you have a place for Marino you have a place for Rivers.  Rivers will likely surpass Marino in TDS and yards this season.  And He had a much better QBR

    All three are in 

    All in their respective primes:

     If I needed a QB to win a big game I’m going with Manning (he beat an unblemished Patriot team in the SB).

    if it is Sunday week 1 and I’m picking a QB to play out the year give me Ben.

    if I have no running game and a shaky defense and I need my QB to put up video game numbers and put the ball up a lot give me Rivers 

    If i went back into time and had to redraft the three I probably flip the order 

     

  • Also look at the teams they've been on over their careers, the better teams over time do boost quarterback numbers.

    And on the flip side quarterbacks performance can help team performance over time.

    One thing too their career numbers are pretty close separated maybe by SB trophies.

    I would say BR had the most consistent good talent to work with EM kind of up and down talent but PR is the hardest to judge he's had decent talent surrounding him -but- not the results to show for it....some maybe his fault.

    As far as who I would take as a starter 1. BR  2. EM  3. PR.    

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @mjp28 said:

    Also look at the teams they've been on over their careers, the better teams over time do boost quarterback numbers.

    And on the flip side quarterbacks performance can help team performance over time.

    One thing too their career numbers are pretty close separated maybe by SB trophies.

    I would say BR had the most consistent good talent to work with EM kind of up and down talent but PR is the hardest to judge he's had decent talent surrounding him -but- not the results to show for it....some maybe his fault.

    As far as who I would take as a starter 1. BR  2. EM  3. PR.    

    BR also won THREE conference championships, to PR zero. EM played out of his mind in the 2 SB runs, but he was pretty below average many of his other seasons. 

  • ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #7

    BR slightly above PR talent wise from what I’ve seen. Maybe has to do with surrounding cast. EM just doesn’t have the talent those two have IMO. 

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    As much as I can't stand Big Ben, he's clearly the best QB of the 3. His blemish, if it is one at all, is the Steelers just couldn't beat the Patriots. BB out coached Tomlin despite having less talent. 

    Good call on the Rivers-Marino comparison SDBacker.

    Eli was solid but not spectacular. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #9

    I'd go Roethlisberger, Rivers and then Manning. Manning has had a strange career... stretches of mediocrity sprinkled with brilliant playoff performances. He's getting into the HOF on the back of the two Super Bowl titles.

    But they all pale in comparison with Kellen Winslow Jr. ?

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Zombo said:

    Been down this Rabbit Hole before.

    Obviously The Perv is a first Ballot HOF.

    Manning is an above average QB with two SB trophies.

    Rivers is an excellent QB with no SB trophies.

    So it depends on where you want to put the emphasis on those two. I'd much rather have Rivers than Manning on my team.

    Zombo

    Rivers never had the defenses that Manning and BR had. 

  • Zombo said:

    Been down this Rabbit Hole before.

    Obviously The Perv is a first Ballot HOF.

    Manning is an above average QB with two SB trophies.

    Rivers is an excellent QB with no SB trophies.

    So it depends on where you want to put the emphasis on those two. I'd much rather have Rivers than Manning on my team.

    Zombo

    Rivers never had the defenses that Manning and BR had. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @the-gipper said:

    Rivers never had the defenses that Manning and BR had. 

    But Rivers May have had the best team of any of the three with the 2006 Chargers.

    He was bad and A boneheaded defensive play....and a 14-2 team lost at home in the divisional round to the Pats

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #12

    BR Sucks. Fuck him and his cheap ass team.

  • Zombo said:

    Been down this Rabbit Hole before.

    Obviously The Perv is a first Ballot HOF.

    Manning is an above average QB with two SB trophies.

    Rivers is an excellent QB with no SB trophies.

    So it depends on where you want to put the emphasis on those two. I'd much rather have Rivers than Manning on my team.

    Zombo

    Rivers never had the defenses that Manning and BR had. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @the-gipper said:

    Rivers never had the defenses that Manning and BR had. 

    Good point, your defense greatly helps your field position, clock management and other small but important things in winning a game.

    No fun always starting to play from inside your own 20 yard line.

  • BR Sucks. Fuck him and his cheap ass team.

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @poeticg said:

    BR Sucks. Fuck him and his cheap ass team.

    Oh PoeticG....... gotta love it.