Skip to content

Season opt out

The Browns Board
38 14 1.5k
  • S Korea made it look easy because they have a sense or order and community that we lack.  It's about others.  Not about "me"

    @ballpeen said:

    S Korea made it look easy because they have a sense or order and community that we lack.  It's about others.  Not about "me"

    Great answer!  Their leaderships had a plan derived from science.  It worked. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    S Korea made it look easy because they have a sense or order and community that we lack.  It's about others.  Not about "me"

    Great answer!  Their leaderships had a plan derived from science.  It worked. 

    @flugel said:

    Great answer!  Their leaderships had a plan derived from science.  It worked. 

    Our leadership is orange. 

  • A little slow replying in this thread, but we opted out on our season tickets also.  Pretty easy decision on our part. I would have no interest going to a game with the current virus situation, and my pal has had a couple heart surgeries that make him super high risk....  At least we won't have to worry about forking over a big chunk of change next spring. 

    I have a feeling in the ever more unlikely event they play some games, the season ticket holders who opted out will have first crack at individual games... Not that I have much empathy for them, but I have to wonder what the folks who have luxury boxes are going to do? That has to be the safest place by far to watch a game.

  • A possible interesting situation: It's not unreasonable that there may be a vaccine ready for manufacture by September. The U.S. Government has invested with several of the leading companies/partnerships for manufacturing rights. If Trump is trailing Biden by similar numbers or worse than he is today,  I can see him directing the first manufactured batch for the NFL. He will get plenty of criticism but at that point he will have nothing to lose and may think that this may get him more popular and votes. The NFL, of course, would love for that to happen and, assuming that the players agree to be the first guinea pigs to the mass-produced vaccine, this might save their season.

    The odds of this happening is low but I would think that this scenario is being discussed by both parties. Imo the season won't happen.

  • @d-bone said:

    I'll go on record as saying I believe high school will be the first to announce nation wide postponements, followed by the NCAA and then the NFL.

    I don't see a world in which there is a single snap in 2020 for any of them. 

    I'm seeing it through the same lens as you, Bob, Ballpeen and Dutch.  I feel horrible for the high school kids most of all.  I'm not just talking about the kids that play football; but the kids that enjoy going to the games, the kids in the band, the cheerleaders and the community as a whole.  At least in college they can red shirt a season.

    As for the NFL, I've already come to grips with the reality unfolding.  Today, Florida had 15,000 new cases and the brains in charge of this state had already decided "this is an ideal day to re-open Disney."   Geee, why stop there?  How about encouraging people to play Twister on the beaches next week?  

    How did South Korea make it look so easy?  Wait a second Thomas Dolby has an idea...

    @flugel said:

    Today, Florida had 15,000 new cases

    Mrs. Wife just reported that Florida is claiming that they've been reporting ALL tests as positive.  My response to her, "You'd think that by now they'd be able to do the job(s) right."  It seems like from President Jackass on down, everyone has fucked up this pandemic.

  • Tretter & Richard Sherman agree on one thing..the Player's safety comes first.. JJ Watt took one look at The Oakley visor & posted "I ain't playing in that"... I think you will or your not playing? Anybody doubt some will be able to play with no* mouth visor? If they protect? I don't see even signing off on something like that..?.. 14 days till Camps Open..  tick. tock.

  • @ballpeen said:

    The Browns gave season ticket holders the opportunity to opt out of this season.  I chose that option, so no Browns games for me this year.  Kind of sad.  I have been making the 600 mile trek 6-7 time a year since 04, and usually 3 times since our return.  The up side is my 2021 tickets are now paid in full, so assuming I make it that far, it will seem like a free season.

    I know we have several season ticket holders on the board.  What are you guys doing?  Holding or opting out?

    I see no reason to rush into the decision since they did not give us a deadline. If I can't have 8 games or if they tell us we can't tailgate then the decision to opt out will be quick.

    @topdawg31 said:

    I see no reason to rush into the decision since they did not give us a deadline. If I can't have 8 games or if they tell us we can't tailgate then the decision to opt out will be quick.

    I think the tailgating will be crushed.  I don't see how you can allow that if distancing mandates are in place.  We have recently opened things up and the numbers are trending upwards again.  This thing is on our ass and it isn't going away any time soon.  I am beginning to wonder if we have a 2021 season let alone this season.  Never know, sports might be dead for a long time.  The black plague gripped Europe and Asia for 5-6 years.  This might do the same.  To me, the thought we find a vaccine by summers end is foolish.

    I know we are putting this on speed dial, but you still need to run trials.  You can't hurry that.  You have to follow proven scientific method.  You can't just start inoculating tens of millions of people with something that might have serious long term consequences.  

  • @flugel said:

    Today, Florida had 15,000 new cases

    Mrs. Wife just reported that Florida is claiming that they've been reporting ALL tests as positive.  My response to her, "You'd think that by now they'd be able to do the job(s) right."  It seems like from President Jackass on down, everyone has fucked up this pandemic.

    @orion said:

    Mrs. Wife just reported that Florida is claiming that they've been reporting ALL tests as positive.  My response to her, "You'd think that by now they'd be able to do the job(s) right."  It seems like from President Jackass on down, everyone has fucked up this pandemic.

    I hear ya! FWIW, I know a lot of people in Florida that haven't tested positive yet that work in healthcare and get tested constantly.  That's a good thing IMO. I worry about my wife every day in the front line where cases are increasing.

  • @orion said:

    Mrs. Wife just reported that Florida is claiming that they've been reporting ALL tests as positive.  My response to her, "You'd think that by now they'd be able to do the job(s) right."  It seems like from President Jackass on down, everyone has fucked up this pandemic.

    I hear ya! FWIW, I know a lot of people in Florida that haven't tested positive yet that work in healthcare and get tested constantly.  That's a good thing IMO. I worry about my wife every day in the front line where cases are increasing.

    @flugel said:

    I worry about my wife every day in the front line

    ...and I, my son.  It's stressful times.

  • @flugel said:

    I worry about my wife every day in the front line

    ...and I, my son.  It's stressful times.

    @orion said:

    ...and I, my son.  It's stressful times.

    Thank you!  54 hospitals in Florida have reached ICU capacities and yesterday it had a record breaking day in deaths to the virus. 

  • @orion said:

    ...and I, my son.  It's stressful times.

    Thank you!  54 hospitals in Florida have reached ICU capacities and yesterday it had a record breaking day in deaths to the virus. 

    @flugel said:

    Thank you!  54 hospitals in Florida have reached ICU capacities and yesterday it had a record breaking day in deaths to the virus. 

    I heard today on the news Florida has 7,000 kids diagnosed with the virus, hmmmmm.

  • @flugel said:

    Thank you!  54 hospitals in Florida have reached ICU capacities and yesterday it had a record breaking day in deaths to the virus. 

    I heard today on the news Florida has 7,000 kids diagnosed with the virus, hmmmmm.

    @mjp28 said:

    I heard today on the news Florida has 7,000 kids diagnosed with the virus, hmmmmm.

    Wow!  Thanks for the update.  Some people want to keep saying when you test more you get more cases.  While true; but the positivity rates among those tested is increasing at alarming rates.  That's leading to more hospitalizations, more ICU space used up and deaths. 

  • Tretter & Richard Sherman agree on one thing..the Player's safety comes first.. JJ Watt took one look at The Oakley visor & posted "I ain't playing in that"... I think you will or your not playing? Anybody doubt some will be able to play with no* mouth visor? If they protect? I don't see even signing off on something like that..?.. 14 days till Camps Open..  tick. tock.

    @gumby73 said:

    Tretter & Richard Sherman agree on one thing..the Player's safety comes first.. JJ Watt took one look at The Oakley visor & posted "I ain't playing in that"... I think you will or your not playing? Anybody doubt some will be able to play with no* mouth visor? If they protect? I don't see even signing off on something like that..?.. 14 days till Camps Open..  tick. tock.

    OBJ has reservations- you can look up the interview if you're interested...  

    @ballpeen said:

    I think the tailgating will be crushed.  I don't see how you can allow that if distancing mandates are in place.  We have recently opened things up and the numbers are trending upwards again.  This thing is on our ass and it isn't going away any time soon.  I am beginning to wonder if we have a 2021 season let alone this season.  Never know, sports might be dead for a long time.  The black plague gripped Europe and Asia for 5-6 years.  This might do the same.  To me, the thought we find a vaccine by summers end is foolish.

    I know we are putting this on speed dial, but you still need to run trials.  You can't hurry that.  You have to follow proven scientific method.  You can't just start inoculating tens of millions of people with something that might have serious long term consequences.  

    Exactly 'Peen. If we come up with a vaccine, it will have to go through the protocols that it's safe (no major side effects) and effective (it does what it's supposed to do)....  Bet the anti vaxxers won't take it... There's so much conspiracy out there now, it's getting ridiculous... Like it's a plan by Bill Gates to inoculate people with microchips... 

    @orion said:

    Mrs. Wife just reported that Florida is claiming that they've been reporting ALL tests as positive.  My response to her, "You'd think that by now they'd be able to do the job(s) right."  It seems like from President Jackass on down, everyone has fucked up this pandemic.

    That's stretching believability Orion. Why would you do something like that? It would put tens of thousands of otherwise healthy people in quarantine. There's tons of disinformation out there by ahem- a certain person who's turned this entire pandemic into a political football... Might be a little mean to put it in these terms- but to paraphrase what Dr. Fauci said yesterday- do you want to believe sound medical opinion- or a quack?  

  • @topdawg31 said:

    I see no reason to rush into the decision since they did not give us a deadline. If I can't have 8 games or if they tell us we can't tailgate then the decision to opt out will be quick.

    I think the tailgating will be crushed.  I don't see how you can allow that if distancing mandates are in place.  We have recently opened things up and the numbers are trending upwards again.  This thing is on our ass and it isn't going away any time soon.  I am beginning to wonder if we have a 2021 season let alone this season.  Never know, sports might be dead for a long time.  The black plague gripped Europe and Asia for 5-6 years.  This might do the same.  To me, the thought we find a vaccine by summers end is foolish.

    I know we are putting this on speed dial, but you still need to run trials.  You can't hurry that.  You have to follow proven scientific method.  You can't just start inoculating tens of millions of people with something that might have serious long term consequences.  

    @ballpeen said:

    I know we are putting this on speed dial, but you still need to run trials.  You can't hurry that.  You have to follow proven scientific method.  You can't just start inoculating tens of millions of people with something that might have serious long term consequences.  

    THIS is well said.

    Even if we can get something into serious trials, the trials take time.  - time -  And there's several 'steps' of trials, from small groups up to large groups.   Each trial step is for a designated length of time , increasing in length as you go up the ladder.  

    Or, you can just take what the president takes.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I know we are putting this on speed dial, but you still need to run trials.  You can't hurry that.  You have to follow proven scientific method.  You can't just start inoculating tens of millions of people with something that might have serious long term consequences.  

    THIS is well said.

    Even if we can get something into serious trials, the trials take time.  - time -  And there's several 'steps' of trials, from small groups up to large groups.   Each trial step is for a designated length of time , increasing in length as you go up the ladder.  

    Or, you can just take what the president takes.

    @orion said:

    THIS is well said.

    Even if we can get something into serious trials, the trials take time.  - time -  And there's several 'steps' of trials, from small groups up to large groups.   Each trial step is for a designated length of time , increasing in length as you go up the ladder.  

    Or, you can just take what the president takes.

    Thanks.