Skip to content

My Family Tradition as Browns Fans

The Browns Board
57 20 2.5k
  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
    #12

    Hell yea! Now this is a thread that should be 22 pages by months end. Very cool. 

  • I was the youngest of 3 kids, and my sister & brother weren't into sports like I was. My dad was a huge fan, although he hated Art because of the Paul Brown firing.

    Anyway, my dad decided to take me to a Browns game vs Cincy, Oct 1 1972. I was 9 years old. The Bengals botched the opening kickoff and the Browns recovered inside the 5 yard line. The place was going crazy, and I remember how loud it was. Leroy Kelly scored 2 plays later, I was hooked for life...Browns 27-6 victors. That whole season was amazing to me, we went to the game that the Browns tried to blow vs the Steelers, but Cockroft made a short FG to win it 26-24. 

    I ended up getting a Plain Dealer paper route, and eventually became a season ticket holder in 1979, first row of the bleachers under the goal posts. The seats happened to open up after a Browns-Oilers game when fans went nuts and threw bottles on the field after a bad PI call on the Browns (Pastorini to Ken Burrough).  Before that, me and some buddies would hop on the 79 bus down Fulton, and would go to the games. 

    Anyhow, I passed on the Browns disease to my 3 sons. My youngest has season tickets, and my older two are involved in Browns Backers Clubs in Houston & Phoenix. Last year we tailgated at the Browns-Cards game for a family reunion. As per usual, the tailgate was better than the game. 

    Great stories folks. Someday, and hopefully real soon, we finally get that dam Super Bowl. 

    IMG_20191215_113507.jpg

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @bob806 said:

    I was the youngest of 3 kids, and my sister & brother weren't into sports like I was. My dad was a huge fan, although he hated Art because of the Paul Brown firing.

    Anyway, my dad decided to take me to a Browns game vs Cincy, Oct 1 1972. I was 9 years old. The Bengals botched the opening kickoff and the Browns recovered inside the 5 yard line. The place was going crazy, and I remember how loud it was. Leroy Kelly scored 2 plays later, I was hooked for life...Browns 27-6 victors. That whole season was amazing to me, we went to the game that the Browns tried to blow vs the Steelers, but Cockroft made a short FG to win it 26-24. 

    I ended up getting a Plain Dealer paper route, and eventually became a season ticket holder in 1979, first row of the bleachers under the goal posts. The seats happened to open up after a Browns-Oilers game when fans went nuts and threw bottles on the field after a bad PI call on the Browns (Pastorini to Ken Burrough).  Before that, me and some buddies would hop on the 79 bus down Fulton, and would go to the games. 

    Anyhow, I passed on the Browns disease to my 3 sons. My youngest has season tickets, and my older two are involved in Browns Backers Clubs in Houston & Phoenix. Last year we tailgated at the Browns-Cards game for a family reunion. As per usual, the tailgate was better than the game. 

    Great stories folks. Someday, and hopefully real soon, we finally get that dam Super Bowl. 

    IMG_20191215_113507.jpg

    Great photo, probably a great spread of food and I am sure a great time. But who in the hell is the Bears' fan? Yea, and we're Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ fans here too. 

  • @bob806 said:

    I was the youngest of 3 kids, and my sister & brother weren't into sports like I was. My dad was a huge fan, although he hated Art because of the Paul Brown firing.

    Anyway, my dad decided to take me to a Browns game vs Cincy, Oct 1 1972. I was 9 years old. The Bengals botched the opening kickoff and the Browns recovered inside the 5 yard line. The place was going crazy, and I remember how loud it was. Leroy Kelly scored 2 plays later, I was hooked for life...Browns 27-6 victors. That whole season was amazing to me, we went to the game that the Browns tried to blow vs the Steelers, but Cockroft made a short FG to win it 26-24. 

    I ended up getting a Plain Dealer paper route, and eventually became a season ticket holder in 1979, first row of the bleachers under the goal posts. The seats happened to open up after a Browns-Oilers game when fans went nuts and threw bottles on the field after a bad PI call on the Browns (Pastorini to Ken Burrough).  Before that, me and some buddies would hop on the 79 bus down Fulton, and would go to the games. 

    Anyhow, I passed on the Browns disease to my 3 sons. My youngest has season tickets, and my older two are involved in Browns Backers Clubs in Houston & Phoenix. Last year we tailgated at the Browns-Cards game for a family reunion. As per usual, the tailgate was better than the game. 

    Great stories folks. Someday, and hopefully real soon, we finally get that dam Super Bowl. 

    IMG_20191215_113507.jpg

    Great photo, probably a great spread of food and I am sure a great time. But who in the hell is the Bears' fan? Yea, and we're Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ fans here too. 

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @icecube said:

    Great photo, probably a great spread of food and I am sure a great time. But who in the hell is the Bears' fan? Yea, and we're Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ fans here too. 

    Lol....yeah, Phoenix is pretty transient so that kid is from Illinois. Lots of people around there wearing all kinds of different jerseys to that game- mostly Cowboys.

  • @bob806 said:

    I was the youngest of 3 kids, and my sister & brother weren't into sports like I was. My dad was a huge fan, although he hated Art because of the Paul Brown firing.

    Anyway, my dad decided to take me to a Browns game vs Cincy, Oct 1 1972. I was 9 years old. The Bengals botched the opening kickoff and the Browns recovered inside the 5 yard line. The place was going crazy, and I remember how loud it was. Leroy Kelly scored 2 plays later, I was hooked for life...Browns 27-6 victors. That whole season was amazing to me, we went to the game that the Browns tried to blow vs the Steelers, but Cockroft made a short FG to win it 26-24. 

    I ended up getting a Plain Dealer paper route, and eventually became a season ticket holder in 1979, first row of the bleachers under the goal posts. The seats happened to open up after a Browns-Oilers game when fans went nuts and threw bottles on the field after a bad PI call on the Browns (Pastorini to Ken Burrough).  Before that, me and some buddies would hop on the 79 bus down Fulton, and would go to the games. 

    Anyhow, I passed on the Browns disease to my 3 sons. My youngest has season tickets, and my older two are involved in Browns Backers Clubs in Houston & Phoenix. Last year we tailgated at the Browns-Cards game for a family reunion. As per usual, the tailgate was better than the game. 

    Great stories folks. Someday, and hopefully real soon, we finally get that dam Super Bowl. 

    IMG_20191215_113507.jpg

    Great photo, probably a great spread of food and I am sure a great time. But who in the hell is the Bears' fan? Yea, and we're Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ fans here too. 

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @icecube said:

    @bob806 said:

    Before that, me and some buddies would hop on the 79 bus down Fulton

    I lived on W47th and Storer Ave. Until I was 10  Used to to go the Lyceum theater on Fulton all the time when I was a kid.

  • @icecube said:

    @bob806 said:

    Before that, me and some buddies would hop on the 79 bus down Fulton

    I lived on W47th and Storer Ave. Until I was 10  Used to to go the Lyceum theater on Fulton all the time when I was a kid.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I lived off Memphis near Fulton

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Estabrook we used to swim there.  Used to cut thru brookside park to walk there.

  • @icecube said:

    Great photo, probably a great spread of food and I am sure a great time. But who in the hell is the Bears' fan? Yea, and we're Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ fans here too. 

    Lol....yeah, Phoenix is pretty transient so that kid is from Illinois. Lots of people around there wearing all kinds of different jerseys to that game- mostly Cowboys.

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @bob806 said:

    Lol....yeah, Phoenix is pretty transient so that kid is from Illinois. Lots of people around there wearing all kinds of different jerseys to that game- mostly Cowboys.

    Yea, I think AZ regularly has more fans show from the visiting team. I am pretty sure more Cowboy fans show than Card fans at AZ vs. Dallas games in AZ. 

  • TypicalBrowns50T TypicalBrowns50 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    I am a 2nd generation fan, my dad got me hooked on the browns after explaining the kardiac kids To me. And how the team left and came back. I was immediately drawn to the intimate history of the team and passion Of the fans. 
     

    my first year basically being a die hard was 2006. Charlie Frye Jersey is still hanging in the closet collecting dust. I should’ve given it to a homeless man a long time ago. Growing up my favorite player was probably Josh Cribbs or Peyton HILLIS for one year. We haven’t had a lot to cheer about the last 20 years.

  • Hell yea! Now this is a thread that should be 22 pages by months end. Very cool. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @d-bone said:

    Hell yea! Now this is a thread that should be 22 pages by months end. Very cool. 

    Don't have the time now to totally read through the thread- but I will give you guys my Browns history eventually....  

  • Hell yea! Now this is a thread that should be 22 pages by months end. Very cool. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @d-bone said:

    Hell yea! Now this is a thread that should be 22 pages by months end. Very cool. 

    The Browns should draft Saquon Barkley. He's a generational talent.

    ?

  • I am a 2nd generation fan, my dad got me hooked on the browns after explaining the kardiac kids To me. And how the team left and came back. I was immediately drawn to the intimate history of the team and passion Of the fans. 
     

    my first year basically being a die hard was 2006. Charlie Frye Jersey is still hanging in the closet collecting dust. I should’ve given it to a homeless man a long time ago. Growing up my favorite player was probably Josh Cribbs or Peyton HILLIS for one year. We haven’t had a lot to cheer about the last 20 years.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @typicalbrowns50 said:

    I am a 2nd generation fan, my dad got me hooked on the browns after explaining the kardiac kids To me. And how the team left and came back. I was immediately drawn to the intimate history of the team and passion Of the fans. 
     

    my first year basically being a die hard was 2006. Charlie Frye Jersey is still hanging in the closet collecting dust. I should’ve given it to a homeless man a long time ago. Growing up my favorite player was probably Josh Cribbs or Peyton HILLIS for one year. We haven’t had a lot to cheer about the last 20 years.

    I find it somewhat surprising - in a good way - that anyone started being a Browns fan from '99 on and still is.

    I mean, we older guys have memories of good teams we actually lived and died with. 

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Great topic!!!

    The 86 Browns were my first recollection of the Browns.  My dad and I watched every game (Youngstown area) we would listen to the radio during the game to hear play by play with Nev Chandler.  I remember My Cousin collected these Browns Digests 70s-80s not sure what they were called He had stacked high in a cabinet.  I remember being 7/8 and reading most of them each time we would visit.   First game at Muni Stadium was a Monday Night game against the Colts with Mike Pagel as the QB.  I was 8 I had school (2nd or 3rd grade) the next morning my mom was pissed.  Now being 2500 miles away I usually call Sunday evenings and we talk about what the Browns did wrong 

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #24

    We moved to Cleveland when I went in to 1st grade.  Moved in from Detroit.  My Dad was born in Toledo, as was I, so he was a Lions and Tigers fan.  We went to a few Browns games, but I remember him saying he wasn't going to pay $11 for a football ticket!  LOL  When I got old enough I took money from my Plain Dealer route to buy my own $11 ticket and went downtown with a friend.  There were gameday express busses.  My parents were pissed I went downtown on my own.  They were really pissed when my buddy and I got on the wrong bus home and it dropped us off out in Parma, we lived in Bay Village.  We couldn't figure out the bus schedule to get home, so had to call my parents to come get us.  That was a quiet ride, at least until we dropped my buddy off at his house, then it got pretty loud.

    In those days home games were never on TV.  Games had to sell out by maybe Thursday to get local TV coverage.  There were always a few seats directly behind a pole, or a few standing room seats created that wouldn't sell.  There could be 82,000 people in there, but those last 25 seats kept games off the air.  My brothers and I would sit in the large upstairs bedroom we shared and listed to Gib Shanley call the game.  We would take out our sleeping bags and stack them, use them as practice dummies.

    Good times.

  • F Footbalfan1962 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    My tradition started in 1996 when they became a top rate winning organization

  • We moved to Cleveland when I went in to 1st grade.  Moved in from Detroit.  My Dad was born in Toledo, as was I, so he was a Lions and Tigers fan.  We went to a few Browns games, but I remember him saying he wasn't going to pay $11 for a football ticket!  LOL  When I got old enough I took money from my Plain Dealer route to buy my own $11 ticket and went downtown with a friend.  There were gameday express busses.  My parents were pissed I went downtown on my own.  They were really pissed when my buddy and I got on the wrong bus home and it dropped us off out in Parma, we lived in Bay Village.  We couldn't figure out the bus schedule to get home, so had to call my parents to come get us.  That was a quiet ride, at least until we dropped my buddy off at his house, then it got pretty loud.

    In those days home games were never on TV.  Games had to sell out by maybe Thursday to get local TV coverage.  There were always a few seats directly behind a pole, or a few standing room seats created that wouldn't sell.  There could be 82,000 people in there, but those last 25 seats kept games off the air.  My brothers and I would sit in the large upstairs bedroom we shared and listed to Gib Shanley call the game.  We would take out our sleeping bags and stack them, use them as practice dummies.

    Good times.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #26

    @ballpeen said:

     My parents were pissed I went downtown on my own.  They were really pissed when my buddy and I got on the wrong bus home and it dropped us off out in Parma, we lived in Bay Village.  We couldn't figure out the bus schedule to get home, so had to call my parents to come get us.  That was a quiet ride, at least until we dropped my buddy off at his house, then it got pretty loud.

    Good times.

    Oh Yeah! I know all about that quiet ride home!  it's Oct.1980.. Sipe hits Dave Logan with 17 seconds left to stun Lynn Dickey & the Packers..No one could cover James Lofton all day..It's a good thing I taped that game.. I was grounded a week to watch it!

    I chose to lie to mom to get her keys to the back-up car 'The Mean green Valiant'.. It's my best friends birthday & he's never seen a game..So we takeoff from Toledo & B00M! Front tire blows bout a hour from the Muni lot...The jacks up & I'm 2 nuts on the spare & here comes Buford & the blue lights special ?. Mighty Barney Fife, impounds Mom's car for another tire & questioned plate search..Were fk'd ?.I'm age 17. Mean green Valiant is Towed. And Fife takes us to his holding cell station for my ONE phone call ☎️.. Hi M0m!  🥷....

    am out of emojis at this time. but browns& parents pissed is worth all 6..  

  • Great topic!!!

    The 86 Browns were my first recollection of the Browns.  My dad and I watched every game (Youngstown area) we would listen to the radio during the game to hear play by play with Nev Chandler.  I remember My Cousin collected these Browns Digests 70s-80s not sure what they were called He had stacked high in a cabinet.  I remember being 7/8 and reading most of them each time we would visit.   First game at Muni Stadium was a Monday Night game against the Colts with Mike Pagel as the QB.  I was 8 I had school (2nd or 3rd grade) the next morning my mom was pissed.  Now being 2500 miles away I usually call Sunday evenings and we talk about what the Browns did wrong 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Great topic!!!

    The 86 Browns were my first recollection of the Browns.  My dad and I watched every game (Youngstown area) we would listen to the radio during the game to hear play by play with Nev Chandler.  I remember My Cousin collected these Browns Digests 70s-80s not sure what they were called He had stacked high in a cabinet.  I remember being 7/8 and reading most of them each time we would visit.   First game at Muni Stadium was a Monday Night game against the Colts with Mike Pagel as the QB.  I was 8 I had school (2nd or 3rd grade) the next morning my mom was pissed.  Now being 2500 miles away I usually call Sunday evenings and we talk about what the Browns did wrong 

    Great stuff !  Where abouts were you in the Youngstown area to listen to Nev on the radio?

    The BROWNS, INDIANS and even CAVS all had good radio and TV people......but we might have been a bit prejudicial on our opinions.

    GO BROWNS, TRIBE and CAVS (well when LBJ was there).......oh yeah !

  • @ballpeen said:

     My parents were pissed I went downtown on my own.  They were really pissed when my buddy and I got on the wrong bus home and it dropped us off out in Parma, we lived in Bay Village.  We couldn't figure out the bus schedule to get home, so had to call my parents to come get us.  That was a quiet ride, at least until we dropped my buddy off at his house, then it got pretty loud.

    Good times.

    Oh Yeah! I know all about that quiet ride home!  it's Oct.1980.. Sipe hits Dave Logan with 17 seconds left to stun Lynn Dickey & the Packers..No one could cover James Lofton all day..It's a good thing I taped that game.. I was grounded a week to watch it!

    I chose to lie to mom to get her keys to the back-up car 'The Mean green Valiant'.. It's my best friends birthday & he's never seen a game..So we takeoff from Toledo & B00M! Front tire blows bout a hour from the Muni lot...The jacks up & I'm 2 nuts on the spare & here comes Buford & the blue lights special ?. Mighty Barney Fife, impounds Mom's car for another tire & questioned plate search..Were fk'd ?.I'm age 17. Mean green Valiant is Towed. And Fife takes us to his holding cell station for my ONE phone call ☎️.. Hi M0m!  🥷....

    am out of emojis at this time. but browns& parents pissed is worth all 6..  

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @gumby73 said:

    Oh Yeah! I know all about that quiet ride home!  it's Oct.1980.. Sipe hits Dave Logan with 17 seconds left to stun Lynn Dickey & the Packers..No one could cover James Lofton all day..It's a good thing I taped that game.. I was grounded a week to watch it!

    I chose to lie to mom to get her keys to the back-up car 'The Mean green Valiant'.. It's my best friends birthday & he's never seen a game..So we takeoff from Toledo & B00M! Front tire blows bout a hour from the Muni lot...The jacks up & I'm 2 nuts on the spare & here comes Buford & the blue lights special ?. Mighty Barney Fife, impounds Mom's car for another tire & questioned plate search..Were fk'd ?.I'm age 17. Mean green Valiant is Towed. And Fife takes us to his holding cell station for my ONE phone call ☎️.. Hi M0m!  🥷....

    am out of emojis at this time. but browns& parents pissed is worth all 6..  

    Gumby you missed your calling as a stand up comedian.  GOOD STUFF !  

  • We moved to Cleveland when I went in to 1st grade.  Moved in from Detroit.  My Dad was born in Toledo, as was I, so he was a Lions and Tigers fan.  We went to a few Browns games, but I remember him saying he wasn't going to pay $11 for a football ticket!  LOL  When I got old enough I took money from my Plain Dealer route to buy my own $11 ticket and went downtown with a friend.  There were gameday express busses.  My parents were pissed I went downtown on my own.  They were really pissed when my buddy and I got on the wrong bus home and it dropped us off out in Parma, we lived in Bay Village.  We couldn't figure out the bus schedule to get home, so had to call my parents to come get us.  That was a quiet ride, at least until we dropped my buddy off at his house, then it got pretty loud.

    In those days home games were never on TV.  Games had to sell out by maybe Thursday to get local TV coverage.  There were always a few seats directly behind a pole, or a few standing room seats created that wouldn't sell.  There could be 82,000 people in there, but those last 25 seats kept games off the air.  My brothers and I would sit in the large upstairs bedroom we shared and listed to Gib Shanley call the game.  We would take out our sleeping bags and stack them, use them as practice dummies.

    Good times.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @ballpeen said:

    We moved to Cleveland when I went in to 1st grade.  Moved in from Detroit.  My Dad was born in Toledo, as was I, so he was a Lions and Tigers fan.  We went to a few Browns games, but I remember him saying he wasn't going to pay $11 for a football ticket!  LOL  When I got old enough I took money from my Plain Dealer route to buy my own $11 ticket and went downtown with a friend.  There were gameday express busses.  My parents were pissed I went downtown on my own.  They were really pissed when my buddy and I got on the wrong bus home and it dropped us off out in Parma, we lived in Bay Village.  We couldn't figure out the bus schedule to get home, so had to call my parents to come get us.  That was a quiet ride, at least until we dropped my buddy off at his house, then it got pretty loud.

    In those days home games were never on TV.  Games had to sell out by maybe Thursday to get local TV coverage.  There were always a few seats directly behind a pole, or a few standing room seats created that wouldn't sell.  There could be 82,000 people in there, but those last 25 seats kept games off the air.  My brothers and I would sit in the large upstairs bedroom we shared and listed to Gib Shanley call the game.  We would take out our sleeping bags and stack them, use them as practice dummies.

    Good times.

    Ballpeen you were so right on those ridiculous NFL  sell out rules especially in the big old multiuse stadiums with the good/bad seats.

    Like you said good times.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Oh Yeah! I know all about that quiet ride home!  it's Oct.1980.. Sipe hits Dave Logan with 17 seconds left to stun Lynn Dickey & the Packers..No one could cover James Lofton all day..It's a good thing I taped that game.. I was grounded a week to watch it!

    I chose to lie to mom to get her keys to the back-up car 'The Mean green Valiant'.. It's my best friends birthday & he's never seen a game..So we takeoff from Toledo & B00M! Front tire blows bout a hour from the Muni lot...The jacks up & I'm 2 nuts on the spare & here comes Buford & the blue lights special ?. Mighty Barney Fife, impounds Mom's car for another tire & questioned plate search..Were fk'd ?.I'm age 17. Mean green Valiant is Towed. And Fife takes us to his holding cell station for my ONE phone call ☎️.. Hi M0m!  🥷....

    am out of emojis at this time. but browns& parents pissed is worth all 6..  

    Gumby you missed your calling as a stand up comedian.  GOOD STUFF !  

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @mjp28 said:

    Gumby you missed your calling as a stand up comedian.  GOOD STUFF !  

    Ah Shucks,thanks!  I did drop the ?  at a few high school pep rally's..Coaches with bad Breath ?️...  My Browns 2nd National Anthem ? request.. 

    Oh! were not done yet... I'll get to the story of the 2 G-men goober fans that hired 2 female escorts at Metlife we called........ M&M's & Skittles ?  

    just Keep these great post coming ?  Good Stuff Ballpeen!

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #31

    I followed them with Jim Brown, but only through the newspapers since from 59-65 I lived in Venezuela. Never saw him actually play a game, but have enjoyed the youtubes.

    Came here with JFF and remained to give you all Myles to make up for it and I think he has already. If we can just get a season going this year, I think it gets real interesting.

    Loved reading the different stories on here about the rest of you and your connection with the Browns.