My Family Tradition as Browns Fans
-
Great stuff ! Where abouts were you in the Youngstown area to listen to Nev on the radio?
The BROWNS, INDIANS and even CAVS all had good radio and TV people......but we might have been a bit prejudicial on our opinions.
GO BROWNS, TRIBE and CAVS (well when LBJ was there).......oh yeah !
I grew up in between Akron and Youngstown. I don’t recall the station but I remember Nev.
Having spent time around Philadelphia radio, San Diego and So Cal radio. I agree we have some great radio people. Tom Hamilton is one of my favorites. I’d put him up against anyone.
I think we feel exactly the same about Browns Tribe and Cavs although I enjoyed the Price Nance Daugherty Cavs there were just too many dismal tanking years in between that and LBJ And even after LBJ that my interest was lost a little.I grew up in between Akron and Youngstown. I don’t recall the station but I remember Nev.
Having spent time around Philadelphia radio, San Diego and So Cal radio. I agree we have some great radio people. Tom Hamilton is one of my favorites. I’d put him up against anyone.
I think we feel exactly the same about Browns Tribe and Cavs although I enjoyed the Price Nance Daugherty Cavs there were just too many dismal tanking years in between that and LBJ And even after LBJ that my interest was lost a little.I'll agree with Hammy anytime and the great and classy Herb Score or Joe Tait or Jimmy Dudley going way back. I used to like going in the backyard with my grandfather and have a nice relaxing afternoon listening to a Tribe game especially when there were fewer games on TV.
And the BROWNS especially now when they're blacked out on the Ohio/pa line for the Steelers with Donovan & Dieken and before that with Nev and Gib.
I'm not a big hoops guy but I remember the Cavs in the big Brad and free throw champ Mark Price era and going back to the Richmond arena era with Joe Tait. I would like to catch games on my car radio when traveling. LBJ was incredible in his era which is probably gone now in Ohio.
Amazing too how reminiscing about sports brings back all of these great times in our lives.
GO BROWNS, TRIBE, BUCKEYES and Cavs......
-
My Great-Grandpa's family landed in Baltimore like many other Jewish Slavs, made their way to Pittsburgh and settled in Albion, PA south of Erie. He worked on the railroad and was the first to take my Grandpa to the city on a train to watch the Browns and Indians. My Grandpa was born in 1938, so he had the thrills of the Paul Brown juggernaut teams of the 1940s and 50s and the Jim Brown era. My Dad was born in 1960 and lived the Kardiac Kids, I was born in 1982, the Schottenheimer through Belichick Browns were my everything. We moved to Central Indiana in 1984. Dad was one of the first of all of his uncles and cousins that didn't work in the mills, foundries or tool and dye shops of NW PA.
We watched football every Sunday, but the Browns were never on until the playoffs. The in game updates back then were absolute treats. My Grandma would occasionally record games with the VCR and send them to us and we had a Browns' News/Illustrated subscription. And that's how we got our Browns' information! I'd sit at the kitchen table and immerse myself in that thing. That periodical was truly a gem.Every time the Browns played in Indianapolis we would go and it seemed in the late 80's, early 90's that was a yearly event. The Colts were absolute trash then and many years the Brownies wore their Brown on White uniforms and our fellow Browns' fans traveled so well that those games always felt like Browns' home games. After the game, my Dad would take us down to the player-family area right by the loading docks where the team buses parked. We were in Heaven. We met and received autographs from our Heroes - Bernie, Clay Matthews, Steve Everitt, Eric Metcalf, Ozzie Newsome, Kevin Mack, Ernest Byner, Michael Dean Perry, Pepper Johnson, Mike Caldwell, Vinny, Bill Belichick, Tom Tupa, Leroy Hoard, James Jones, Michael Jackson, Antonio Langham and Eric Turner to name a few.My Dad had a pretty good relationship with a guy that ran a local watering hole and a couple times in the early 90's, I got to go to the bar with Dad to watch some games. He'd order a couple appetizers and we'd sit in the corner and watch the Browns on satellite, which was a huge deal. I remember a few games of note being televised locally, it was sporadic: the Monday Night win vs the 49ers, an opening day loss in NE, Metcalf taking two punts back vs the Steelers and the win in Dallas in '94.On Thanksgiving weekend 1994, we finally got a chance to see the Browns play in Municipal Stadium, I came remember not wanting to leave after the game. They beat the Oilers 39-24. It was awesome and my brother, fours year younger, and I soaked up the experience. Just being around passionate Browns fan that I knew had cheered and screamed as loud as we had and cried like we had until there was nothing in the tank was fulfilling. Oddly enough, a family in front of us did not stand for the National Anthem and the guys around us in Carhartts and the old Orange hard hats let the man of the family know how he felt. Words were exchanged, the guy in the hard hat rolled up his program and hit the man that sat on the head a couple times. He had plenty of words. The family left immediately never to return.The last two decades have been no different as far as our love. However, my outlook has changed from that of a starry-eyed boy ever the optimist, to a man that questions making the same decisions and expecting a different result. We were raised and have remained steadfast Browns fans in the darkest four decades of the franchise. My brother is out East, he's still a die-hard Browns fan. My sister is out West, she's still a Browns fan. My mom, raised in a Steeler home, is a Browns fan and Dad and Grandpa are still going strong. Even my little girls who cheer for "Daddy's Team" are Browns fans. -
My Great-Grandpa's family landed in Baltimore like many other Jewish Slavs, made their way to Pittsburgh and settled in Albion, PA south of Erie. He worked on the railroad and was the first to take my Grandpa to the city on a train to watch the Browns and Indians. My Grandpa was born in 1938, so he had the thrills of the Paul Brown juggernaut teams of the 1940s and 50s and the Jim Brown era. My Dad was born in 1960 and lived the Kardiac Kids, I was born in 1982, the Schottenheimer through Belichick Browns were my everything. We moved to Central Indiana in 1984. Dad was one of the first of all of his uncles and cousins that didn't work in the mills, foundries or tool and dye shops of NW PA.
We watched football every Sunday, but the Browns were never on until the playoffs. The in game updates back then were absolute treats. My Grandma would occasionally record games with the VCR and send them to us and we had a Browns' News/Illustrated subscription. And that's how we got our Browns' information! I'd sit at the kitchen table and immerse myself in that thing. That periodical was truly a gem.Every time the Browns played in Indianapolis we would go and it seemed in the late 80's, early 90's that was a yearly event. The Colts were absolute trash then and many years the Brownies wore their Brown on White uniforms and our fellow Browns' fans traveled so well that those games always felt like Browns' home games. After the game, my Dad would take us down to the player-family area right by the loading docks where the team buses parked. We were in Heaven. We met and received autographs from our Heroes - Bernie, Clay Matthews, Steve Everitt, Eric Metcalf, Ozzie Newsome, Kevin Mack, Ernest Byner, Michael Dean Perry, Pepper Johnson, Mike Caldwell, Vinny, Bill Belichick, Tom Tupa, Leroy Hoard, James Jones, Michael Jackson, Antonio Langham and Eric Turner to name a few.My Dad had a pretty good relationship with a guy that ran a local watering hole and a couple times in the early 90's, I got to go to the bar with Dad to watch some games. He'd order a couple appetizers and we'd sit in the corner and watch the Browns on satellite, which was a huge deal. I remember a few games of note being televised locally, it was sporadic: the Monday Night win vs the 49ers, an opening day loss in NE, Metcalf taking two punts back vs the Steelers and the win in Dallas in '94.On Thanksgiving weekend 1994, we finally got a chance to see the Browns play in Municipal Stadium, I came remember not wanting to leave after the game. They beat the Oilers 39-24. It was awesome and my brother, fours year younger, and I soaked up the experience. Just being around passionate Browns fan that I knew had cheered and screamed as loud as we had and cried like we had until there was nothing in the tank was fulfilling. Oddly enough, a family in front of us did not stand for the National Anthem and the guys around us in Carhartts and the old Orange hard hats let the man of the family know how he felt. Words were exchanged, the guy in the hard hat rolled up his program and hit the man that sat on the head a couple times. He had plenty of words. The family left immediately never to return.The last two decades have been no different as far as our love. However, my outlook has changed from that of a starry-eyed boy ever the optimist, to a man that questions making the same decisions and expecting a different result. We were raised and have remained steadfast Browns fans in the darkest four decades of the franchise. My brother is out East, he's still a die-hard Browns fan. My sister is out West, she's still a Browns fan. My mom, raised in a Steeler home, is a Browns fan and Dad and Grandpa are still going strong. Even my little girls who cheer for "Daddy's Team" are Browns fans.My Great-Grandpa's family landed in Baltimore like many other Jewish Slavs, made their way to Pittsburgh and settled in Albion, PA south of Erie. He worked on the railroad and was the first to take my Grandpa to the city on a train to watch the Browns and Indians. My Grandpa was born in 1938, so he had the thrills of the Paul Brown juggernaut teams of the 1940s and 50s and the Jim Brown era. My Dad was born in 1960 and lived the Kardiac Kids, I was born in 1982, the Schottenheimer through Belichick Browns were my everything. We moved to Central Indiana in 1984. Dad was one of the first of all of his uncles and cousins that didn't work in the mills, foundries or tool and dye shops of NW PA.
We watched football every Sunday, but the Browns were never on until the playoffs. The in game updates back then were absolute treats. My Grandma would occasionally record games with the VCR and send them to us and we had a Browns' News/Illustrated subscription. And that's how we got our Browns' information! I'd sit at the kitchen table and immerse myself in that thing. That periodical was truly a gem.Every time the Browns played in Indianapolis we would go and it seemed in the late 80's, early 90's that was a yearly event. The Colts were absolute trash then and many years the Brownies wore their Brown on White uniforms and our fellow Browns' fans traveled so well that those games always felt like Browns' home games. After the game, my Dad would take us down to the player-family area right by the loading docks where the team buses parked. We were in Heaven. We met and received autographs from our Heroes - Bernie, Clay Matthews, Steve Everitt, Eric Metcalf, Ozzie Newsome, Kevin Mack, Ernest Byner, Michael Dean Perry, Pepper Johnson, Mike Caldwell, Vinny, Bill Belichick, Tom Tupa, Leroy Hoard, James Jones, Michael Jackson, Antonio Langham and Eric Turner to name a few.My Dad had a pretty good relationship with a guy that ran a local watering hole and a couple times in the early 90's, I got to go to the bar with Dad to watch some games. He'd order a couple appetizers and we'd sit in the corner and watch the Browns on satellite, which was a huge deal. I remember a few games of note being televised locally, it was sporadic: the Monday Night win vs the 49ers, an opening day loss in NE, Metcalf taking two punts back vs the Steelers and the win in Dallas in '94.On Thanksgiving weekend 1994, we finally got a chance to see the Browns play in Municipal Stadium, I came remember not wanting to leave after the game. They beat the Oilers 39-24. It was awesome and my brother, fours year younger, and I soaked up the experience. Just being around passionate Browns fan that I knew had cheered and screamed as loud as we had and cried like we had until there was nothing in the tank was fulfilling. Oddly enough, a family in front of us did not stand for the National Anthem and the guys around us in Carhartts and the old Orange hard hats let the man of the family know how he felt. Words were exchanged, the guy in the hard hat rolled up his program and hit the man that sat on the head a couple times. He had plenty of words. The family left immediately never to return.The last two decades have been no different as far as our love. However, my outlook has changed from that of a starry-eyed boy ever the optimist, to a man that questions making the same decisions and expecting a different result. We were raised and have remained steadfast Browns fans in the darkest four decades of the franchise. My brother is out East, he's still a die-hard Browns fan. My sister is out West, she's still a Browns fan. My mom, raised in a Steeler home, is a Browns fan and Dad and Grandpa are still going strong. Even my little girls who cheer for "Daddy's Team" are Browns fans.Way to go - another GREAT story in this thread! Loved our 80s Browns, which began 2 years after we drafted Clay Matthews and Ozzie Newsome in the first round in 1978. The 80s also treated fans to my 2 favorite QBs - Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar. These were some of the RBs/FBs in the 80s: Greg Pruitt, Cleo Miller, Mike Pruitt, Calvin Hill, Charles White, Boyce Green, Earnest Byner, Kevin Mack, Curtis Dickey, Herman Fontenot, Tim Manoa, and Eric Metcalf. And your mention of the Browns News Illustrated brought back fond memories and the weekend discussions it would lead to about the team.
-
-
My Great-Grandpa's family landed in Baltimore like many other Jewish Slavs, made their way to Pittsburgh and settled in Albion, PA south of Erie. He worked on the railroad and was the first to take my Grandpa to the city on a train to watch the Browns and Indians. My Grandpa was born in 1938, so he had the thrills of the Paul Brown juggernaut teams of the 1940s and 50s and the Jim Brown era. My Dad was born in 1960 and lived the Kardiac Kids, I was born in 1982, the Schottenheimer through Belichick Browns were my everything. We moved to Central Indiana in 1984. Dad was one of the first of all of his uncles and cousins that didn't work in the mills, foundries or tool and dye shops of NW PA.
We watched football every Sunday, but the Browns were never on until the playoffs. The in game updates back then were absolute treats. My Grandma would occasionally record games with the VCR and send them to us and we had a Browns' News/Illustrated subscription. And that's how we got our Browns' information! I'd sit at the kitchen table and immerse myself in that thing. That periodical was truly a gem.Every time the Browns played in Indianapolis we would go and it seemed in the late 80's, early 90's that was a yearly event. The Colts were absolute trash then and many years the Brownies wore their Brown on White uniforms and our fellow Browns' fans traveled so well that those games always felt like Browns' home games. After the game, my Dad would take us down to the player-family area right by the loading docks where the team buses parked. We were in Heaven. We met and received autographs from our Heroes - Bernie, Clay Matthews, Steve Everitt, Eric Metcalf, Ozzie Newsome, Kevin Mack, Ernest Byner, Michael Dean Perry, Pepper Johnson, Mike Caldwell, Vinny, Bill Belichick, Tom Tupa, Leroy Hoard, James Jones, Michael Jackson, Antonio Langham and Eric Turner to name a few.My Dad had a pretty good relationship with a guy that ran a local watering hole and a couple times in the early 90's, I got to go to the bar with Dad to watch some games. He'd order a couple appetizers and we'd sit in the corner and watch the Browns on satellite, which was a huge deal. I remember a few games of note being televised locally, it was sporadic: the Monday Night win vs the 49ers, an opening day loss in NE, Metcalf taking two punts back vs the Steelers and the win in Dallas in '94.On Thanksgiving weekend 1994, we finally got a chance to see the Browns play in Municipal Stadium, I came remember not wanting to leave after the game. They beat the Oilers 39-24. It was awesome and my brother, fours year younger, and I soaked up the experience. Just being around passionate Browns fan that I knew had cheered and screamed as loud as we had and cried like we had until there was nothing in the tank was fulfilling. Oddly enough, a family in front of us did not stand for the National Anthem and the guys around us in Carhartts and the old Orange hard hats let the man of the family know how he felt. Words were exchanged, the guy in the hard hat rolled up his program and hit the man that sat on the head a couple times. He had plenty of words. The family left immediately never to return.The last two decades have been no different as far as our love. However, my outlook has changed from that of a starry-eyed boy ever the optimist, to a man that questions making the same decisions and expecting a different result. We were raised and have remained steadfast Browns fans in the darkest four decades of the franchise. My brother is out East, he's still a die-hard Browns fan. My sister is out West, she's still a Browns fan. My mom, raised in a Steeler home, is a Browns fan and Dad and Grandpa are still going strong. Even my little girls who cheer for "Daddy's Team" are Browns fans.Browns' News/Illustrated subscription. And that's how we got our Browns' information! I'd sit at the kitchen table and immerse myself in that thing.
On Thanksgiving weekend 1994, we finally got a chance to see the Browns play in Municipal Stadium, I came remember not wanting to leave after the game. They beat the Oilers 39-24. It was awesome and my brother, fours year younger, and I soaked up the experience. Just being around passionate Browns fan that I knew had cheered and screamed as loud as we had and cried like we had until there was nothing in the tank was fulfilling.Our Browns friend, your whole post was awesome.. Thanks for sharing..this got me^^.Nothing like the tingle when your arm hair's stand straight up! What a ballgame! I also now remember making the trip from NC back to Ohio to my Sisters with Dad & All the Family...Thanks AP! It took a few 30, but Dad & I, finally broke mom of removing the browns illustrated from the kitchen table..
-
Browns' News/Illustrated subscription. And that's how we got our Browns' information! I'd sit at the kitchen table and immerse myself in that thing.
On Thanksgiving weekend 1994, we finally got a chance to see the Browns play in Municipal Stadium, I came remember not wanting to leave after the game. They beat the Oilers 39-24. It was awesome and my brother, fours year younger, and I soaked up the experience. Just being around passionate Browns fan that I knew had cheered and screamed as loud as we had and cried like we had until there was nothing in the tank was fulfilling.Our Browns friend, your whole post was awesome.. Thanks for sharing..this got me^^.Nothing like the tingle when your arm hair's stand straight up! What a ballgame! I also now remember making the trip from NC back to Ohio to my Sisters with Dad & All the Family...Thanks AP! It took a few 30, but Dad & I, finally broke mom of removing the browns illustrated from the kitchen table..
Our Browns friend, your whole post was awesome.. Thanks for sharing..this got me^^.Nothing like the tingle when your arm hair's stand straight up! What a ballgame! I also now remember making the trip from NC back to Ohio to my Sisters with Dad & All the Family...Thanks AP! It took a few 30, but Dad & I, finally broke mom of removing the browns illustrated from the kitchen table..
I'm not sure if some of the young kids feel this way about the BROWNS or football or even real sports today but then again they didn't have their Bernie or Sipe moments the way we older geezers have. They'd rather play grand theft auto VIII or other video games with their friends in mom's cellar and not get out and play football or go to real life games.
Too bad their loss the kids in our neighborhood have a big beautiful meadow that is mowed and kept up by the township and they never, ever go there to play football or baseball or even soccer. After these kids get home from school it is beautifully quiet in our neighborhood except maybe for a few young kids riding bikes.
Their loss, oh well.......
GO BROWNS, INDIANS, BUCKEYES..... just win baby !
-
Our Browns friend, your whole post was awesome.. Thanks for sharing..this got me^^.Nothing like the tingle when your arm hair's stand straight up! What a ballgame! I also now remember making the trip from NC back to Ohio to my Sisters with Dad & All the Family...Thanks AP! It took a few 30, but Dad & I, finally broke mom of removing the browns illustrated from the kitchen table..
I'm not sure if some of the young kids feel this way about the BROWNS or football or even real sports today but then again they didn't have their Bernie or Sipe moments the way we older geezers have. They'd rather play grand theft auto VIII or other video games with their friends in mom's cellar and not get out and play football or go to real life games.
Too bad their loss the kids in our neighborhood have a big beautiful meadow that is mowed and kept up by the township and they never, ever go there to play football or baseball or even soccer. After these kids get home from school it is beautifully quiet in our neighborhood except maybe for a few young kids riding bikes.
Their loss, oh well.......
GO BROWNS, INDIANS, BUCKEYES..... just win baby !
I'm not sure if some of the young kids feel this way about the BROWNS or football or even real sports today but then again they didn't have their Bernie or Sipe moments the way we older geezers have. They'd rather play grand theft auto VIII or other video games with their friends in mom's cellar and not get out and play football or go to real life games.
Too bad their loss the kids in our neighborhood have a big beautiful meadow that is mowed and kept up by the township and they never, ever go there to play football or baseball or even soccer. After these kids get home from school it is beautifully quiet in our neighborhood except maybe for a few young kids riding bikes.
Their loss, oh well.......
GO BROWNS, INDIANS, BUCKEYES..... just win baby !
Priorities have changed, no doubt. And it's not just playing video games and not playing outside. It seems teams are followed less and players and apparel companies are followed more.
Did young kids really like the Cavs or do they like Lebron James? I understand in world of four year max deals that's likely to be the case, but few have team loyalty. They aren't moved by team highlights and are more inclined to watch a Sports Center Top 10 of a specific player. Loyalty changes like the flavor of the week based on uniforms, social media and apparel maker.
And remember, unlike in real life, if something happens on the video games someone can just jump up and turn off the console like it never happened so that the perfect game can never be ruined.
-
Give me a Bobby "Bingo" Smith jersey.
-
-
When he was hot, he was hot. When not, he's not, to play off a Jerry Reed song.
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
Glad to see your thoughts on baseball announcers are as worthless as your political views.
Some people value consistency.
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I like Hamilton.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I like Hamilton.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
I've listened to Tribe games on 1100 from the middle of nowhere West Virginia (down by the New River Bridge) and as we were leaving a pizza joint under the Brooklyn Bridge...
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I like Hamilton.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
I like Hamilton.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
Oh yes the world and radio ! In 1963 I got a transistor radio for my 13th birthday with an ear piece and dad was smart enough to get a battery adapter.
For rock n roll WHOT Youngstown then late night WLS Chicago and WBZ Boston. Plus baseball and football whenever I could.
I also got into amateur radio that year and worked the world for 6 more years. Fun times.
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I like Hamilton.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I spent most my elementary school years doing the same..worked great for the late west coast games with Brennaman & Harwell ... What ever happened to old Gib Shanley? Browns former play/play guy
-
I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I spent most my elementary school years doing the same..worked great for the late west coast games with Brennaman & Harwell ... What ever happened to old Gib Shanley? Browns former play/play guy
I spent most my elementary school years doing the same..worked great for the late west coast games with Brennaman & Harwell ... What ever happened to old Gib Shanley? Browns former play/play guy
Gib was a great long time announcer for the BROWNS who was followed by Nev Chandler, I listened to them both. Gib passed away in 2006.
-
-
@gumby73 said:
did he really burn a Iranian flag? am digging deeper into this now ?
Pneumonia. I'm not sure on the flag thing.
Pneumonia. I'm not sure on the flag thing.
Gumby & mjp....yes, he did burn the Iranian flag. It was during the hostage crisis and was truly something unheard of at the time, completely awesome.
I grew up listening to Gib call the games. He really was the best at painting a picture for the radio listeners. I can still hear him " out of the eye to the tee, Hooker split left, Phipps drops back to throw..."
When the Browns won in Cincy to clinch the division in 1980, there wasn't a happier fan than Gib Shanley. He was the best.
-
Pneumonia. I'm not sure on the flag thing.
Gumby & mjp....yes, he did burn the Iranian flag. It was during the hostage crisis and was truly something unheard of at the time, completely awesome.
I grew up listening to Gib call the games. He really was the best at painting a picture for the radio listeners. I can still hear him " out of the eye to the tee, Hooker split left, Phipps drops back to throw..."
When the Browns won in Cincy to clinch the division in 1980, there wasn't a happier fan than Gib Shanley. He was the best.
Gumby & mjp....yes, he did burn the Iranian flag. It was during the hostage crisis and was truly something unheard of at the time, completely awesome.
I grew up listening to Gib call the games. He really was the best at painting a picture for the radio listeners. I can still hear him " out of the eye to the tee, Hooker split left, Phipps drops back to throw..."
When the Browns won in Cincy to clinch the division in 1980, there wasn't a happier fan than Gib Shanley. He was the best.
We're all a bit tainted toward our Cleveland teams -but- we've been blessed with some really good TV and radio people for the BROWNS, INDIANS and Cavs for as long as I've been around.
The BROWNS have had Gib, Nev and now a good pair in the radio booth for almost as long as Cleveland has had an NFL team.
I like them better than many network people.
GO CLEVELAND, TV or radio no problem !
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login