My Family Tradition as Browns Fans
-
Our Browns friend, your whole post was awesome.. Thanks for sharing..this got me^^.Nothing like the tingle when your arm hair's stand straight up! What a ballgame! I also now remember making the trip from NC back to Ohio to my Sisters with Dad & All the Family...Thanks AP! It took a few 30, but Dad & I, finally broke mom of removing the browns illustrated from the kitchen table..
I'm not sure if some of the young kids feel this way about the BROWNS or football or even real sports today but then again they didn't have their Bernie or Sipe moments the way we older geezers have. They'd rather play grand theft auto VIII or other video games with their friends in mom's cellar and not get out and play football or go to real life games.
Too bad their loss the kids in our neighborhood have a big beautiful meadow that is mowed and kept up by the township and they never, ever go there to play football or baseball or even soccer. After these kids get home from school it is beautifully quiet in our neighborhood except maybe for a few young kids riding bikes.
Their loss, oh well.......
GO BROWNS, INDIANS, BUCKEYES..... just win baby !
I'm not sure if some of the young kids feel this way about the BROWNS or football or even real sports today but then again they didn't have their Bernie or Sipe moments the way we older geezers have. They'd rather play grand theft auto VIII or other video games with their friends in mom's cellar and not get out and play football or go to real life games.
Too bad their loss the kids in our neighborhood have a big beautiful meadow that is mowed and kept up by the township and they never, ever go there to play football or baseball or even soccer. After these kids get home from school it is beautifully quiet in our neighborhood except maybe for a few young kids riding bikes.
Their loss, oh well.......
GO BROWNS, INDIANS, BUCKEYES..... just win baby !
Priorities have changed, no doubt. And it's not just playing video games and not playing outside. It seems teams are followed less and players and apparel companies are followed more.
Did young kids really like the Cavs or do they like Lebron James? I understand in world of four year max deals that's likely to be the case, but few have team loyalty. They aren't moved by team highlights and are more inclined to watch a Sports Center Top 10 of a specific player. Loyalty changes like the flavor of the week based on uniforms, social media and apparel maker.
And remember, unlike in real life, if something happens on the video games someone can just jump up and turn off the console like it never happened so that the perfect game can never be ruined.
-
Give me a Bobby "Bingo" Smith jersey.
-
-
When he was hot, he was hot. When not, he's not, to play off a Jerry Reed song.
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
Glad to see your thoughts on baseball announcers are as worthless as your political views.
Some people value consistency.
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I like Hamilton.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I like Hamilton.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
I've listened to Tribe games on 1100 from the middle of nowhere West Virginia (down by the New River Bridge) and as we were leaving a pizza joint under the Brooklyn Bridge...
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I like Hamilton.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
I like Hamilton.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
Oh yes the world and radio ! In 1963 I got a transistor radio for my 13th birthday with an ear piece and dad was smart enough to get a battery adapter.
For rock n roll WHOT Youngstown then late night WLS Chicago and WBZ Boston. Plus baseball and football whenever I could.
I also got into amateur radio that year and worked the world for 6 more years. Fun times.
-
I don't get all the adulation for Hamilton. He blows. Too much "oh the humanity" sensationalism and unnecessary yelling.. I guess he's good if you're into that kind of thing.
A truly talented play by play announcer is one can make the game exiting without raising his voice. Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was one.
Hamilton is the only Cleveland play by play guy ever to suck donkey dick. Joe "wham with the right hand" Tait was great, so was Nev Chandler. Jim Donovan is good. Herb Score was the polar opposite of Hamilton, perhaps a little boring but still more pleasant to the ear than Hysterical Hamilton.
I like Hamilton.
I live 600 miles away but can pick up 1100 AM after dark. It may fade in and out, but I still pick it up, so I listen to Indians and Cavs games. Coast to coast after that. If still in bed at 5 AM, Wills and Snyder in the AM. It is what I did as a kid, listen to Jimmy Dudley calling Indians games. It might have been WKYC in those years. I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I saw the world on my radio. Pick up the Grand Ole Opry on WSM out of Nashville. That was a world away as a kid. I'd pick up stations out of New Orleans sometimes. Stations out of Canada, St Louis...those were big moments in a 10 year old boys life. Just seeking a bit beyond the horizon I suppose.
I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I spent most my elementary school years doing the same..worked great for the late west coast games with Brennaman & Harwell ... What ever happened to old Gib Shanley? Browns former play/play guy
-
I'd put the transistor under my pillow, low volume so my Mom or Dad couldn't hear it, but I could.
I spent most my elementary school years doing the same..worked great for the late west coast games with Brennaman & Harwell ... What ever happened to old Gib Shanley? Browns former play/play guy
I spent most my elementary school years doing the same..worked great for the late west coast games with Brennaman & Harwell ... What ever happened to old Gib Shanley? Browns former play/play guy
Gib was a great long time announcer for the BROWNS who was followed by Nev Chandler, I listened to them both. Gib passed away in 2006.
-
-
@gumby73 said:
did he really burn a Iranian flag? am digging deeper into this now ?
Pneumonia. I'm not sure on the flag thing.
Pneumonia. I'm not sure on the flag thing.
Gumby & mjp....yes, he did burn the Iranian flag. It was during the hostage crisis and was truly something unheard of at the time, completely awesome.
I grew up listening to Gib call the games. He really was the best at painting a picture for the radio listeners. I can still hear him " out of the eye to the tee, Hooker split left, Phipps drops back to throw..."
When the Browns won in Cincy to clinch the division in 1980, there wasn't a happier fan than Gib Shanley. He was the best.
-
Pneumonia. I'm not sure on the flag thing.
Gumby & mjp....yes, he did burn the Iranian flag. It was during the hostage crisis and was truly something unheard of at the time, completely awesome.
I grew up listening to Gib call the games. He really was the best at painting a picture for the radio listeners. I can still hear him " out of the eye to the tee, Hooker split left, Phipps drops back to throw..."
When the Browns won in Cincy to clinch the division in 1980, there wasn't a happier fan than Gib Shanley. He was the best.
Gumby & mjp....yes, he did burn the Iranian flag. It was during the hostage crisis and was truly something unheard of at the time, completely awesome.
I grew up listening to Gib call the games. He really was the best at painting a picture for the radio listeners. I can still hear him " out of the eye to the tee, Hooker split left, Phipps drops back to throw..."
When the Browns won in Cincy to clinch the division in 1980, there wasn't a happier fan than Gib Shanley. He was the best.
We're all a bit tainted toward our Cleveland teams -but- we've been blessed with some really good TV and radio people for the BROWNS, INDIANS and Cavs for as long as I've been around.
The BROWNS have had Gib, Nev and now a good pair in the radio booth for almost as long as Cleveland has had an NFL team.
I like them better than many network people.
GO CLEVELAND, TV or radio no problem !
-
-
Flugs and others.
I just stumbled across this thread again, totally by accident and figured it would be good going into Week 6.
From July 2022 before this season started. It's a quick read.
Flugs and others.
I just stumbled across this thread again, totally by accident and figured it would be good going into Week 6.
From July 2022 before this season started. It's a quick read.
It is a great read. For so many years, we would only go fishing in the morning, to make sure we were back in time to watch the Browns games. There were games we went to, before my Dad had his badly damaged knee over the years replaced, that he limped badly all the way up the ramp - not waiting for the crowd to get done with the elevator. Like MJP, I was born in '50. Ever since I can remember, we had been that way. The season after he got his knee replaced - I got a chance at better seats for bigger bucks, and he and I went to a game. That time, it was a big game - and -I- was the one badly limping up the ramp. lol. But now, that feeling isn't there anymore. That stupid trade was just the giant stinking haybale that did it.
But Amari Cooper was an excellent addition, outstanding? secondary, DE's.... and the best set of running backs in the NFL, with one of the best olines in the NFL, and FINALLY a legit terrific deep threat - (Amari Cooper)..... and they changed qb's to a bigger guy who can run but is inaccurate on sideline and long throws, and throws an INT in crunch time/end of the game that would have won it, but .....
sad. and now, they have released Josh Rosen off their practice squad, ticking off half the "guaranteed best pure pocket passer" who had emphatic fans on this board, .... off their practice squad.
I'd rather go camping, or fishing, or playing cards with friends...or out back to squirrel hunt, or go garage sailing with the Wife - and watch the Browns games sometime on record.
-
Flugs and others.
I just stumbled across this thread again, totally by accident and figured it would be good going into Week 6.
From July 2022 before this season started. It's a quick read.
It is a great read. For so many years, we would only go fishing in the morning, to make sure we were back in time to watch the Browns games. There were games we went to, before my Dad had his badly damaged knee over the years replaced, that he limped badly all the way up the ramp - not waiting for the crowd to get done with the elevator. Like MJP, I was born in '50. Ever since I can remember, we had been that way. The season after he got his knee replaced - I got a chance at better seats for bigger bucks, and he and I went to a game. That time, it was a big game - and -I- was the one badly limping up the ramp. lol. But now, that feeling isn't there anymore. That stupid trade was just the giant stinking haybale that did it.
But Amari Cooper was an excellent addition, outstanding? secondary, DE's.... and the best set of running backs in the NFL, with one of the best olines in the NFL, and FINALLY a legit terrific deep threat - (Amari Cooper)..... and they changed qb's to a bigger guy who can run but is inaccurate on sideline and long throws, and throws an INT in crunch time/end of the game that would have won it, but .....
sad. and now, they have released Josh Rosen off their practice squad, ticking off half the "guaranteed best pure pocket passer" who had emphatic fans on this board, .... off their practice squad.
I'd rather go camping, or fishing, or playing cards with friends...or out back to squirrel hunt, or go garage sailing with the Wife - and watch the Browns games sometime on record.
-
@ghoolie-always-ghoolie said:
Norman Rockwell material. Nice post , Tom.
Really appreciate that Ghoolie! Glad you enjoyed it!
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login