Skip to content

Don Carey cut

The Browns Board
52 19 5.4k
  • That sucks.

  • Mel Tucker's the DC in Jacksonville. I wouldn't be surprised if he played a role on this; one of his sources in Cleveland may have told him to bring in Carey.

  • I thought about Tucker right off the bat. Still, I'll bet there were other team's with their eye on him too.

    Dammit, he was my kid rookie to rally for.

  • My guess is this kid has a long term injury issue. You just don't cut him.

  • Jags are pretty deep in the secondary.. highly doubtful he makes the roster there

  • Aloysius said:

    Jaguars claim Carey

    NOOOOOO!!!!!

    i love those hybrid safety/corners! that really sux.

  • Well atleast 50 more will want to take his place.....mabey 1 will be as good

  • Mangini said the following at Friday's presser:

    Eric Mangini said:

    We signed Brandon Anderson and waived Don Carey injured. Don has to go through the waiver process and then, if he clears injury waivers, he reverts back to us for the injured reserve category. It’s disappointing for him, for us, but it happens. He wouldn’t be available until next year’s mini-camps and OTAs and things like that. It’s the next time we’d actually see him on the field. We’ll see what happens here and move forward accordingly.

    Should be interesting to see if that's accurate, or just a strategic fib to keep Carey a Brown.

    Actually, if you parse his words, you could read it as him saying that the IR designation would prohibit Carey from practicing until the spring. But it was reported by some media outlets as Mangini saying that Carey would be too hurt to play this year.

    I'm sure that's what he wanted teams to hear. Unfortunately, Carey still got claimed.

  • From Carey's twitter page:

    Don Carey said:

    @MikeEly man dont worry bro, cleveland closed the door, but jacksonville opened it right back up. God has a plan
  • i love it when they petition their Lord with prayer in honor of the pigskin. deities just a hangin' out up there, waiting for the request to finger-zap them to the Hall of Fame!

    first off, the only way "God's" plan includes designs for his "football success" (or Ray Lewis', or Jamarcus Russel's, or any other shameless self-promoting sports figure that thinks "God" is steering their sports career) is if his/her name is Beelzebub, Lucifer, or Mephistopheles.

    so...CLE closed the door? hmmmm. Mangy mighta got caught trying to stock the cupboards while this kid wants to play this year. he might live to regret leaving CLE, cuz we are on our way folks.

  • I think it's as simple as the Browns wanted to stash him with an injury that probably wasn't worthy of being out the full season and obviously Jacksuck knew better---or maybe they want to stash him too? I'll bet Shep's left nut that they weren't the only ones interested either.

    This kid is a good player with all the tools and very intelligent. He slid in the draft strictly cuz of where he went to school I'm sure.

  • Zombo said:

    I'm confused why we couldn't just put him on the injured reserve for a year like any other injured player.

    Is he one of the draft picks we acquired in a trade?

    Zombo

    Z I think it's designed to keep teams from stashing rooks on IR that aren't really hurt. They have to be exposed to waivers but there have to be stipulations since what happens if your first round pick goes down early on?

  • Okay so I have 3 questions:

    1) We put him on waivers per the "injury" because we cannot just slide him onto IR. So Jax claimed him - doesn't he HAVE to stay on their active roster the whole season?

    2) If they want to place him on IR, doesn't he have to go on waivers again?

    3) If they do place him on waivers, doesn't the team that drafted him - Cleveland - get first dibs?

    This seems like a ripoff to me if Jax gets to eventually place him on IR.

  • I don't think Jax plans on putting him on IR but the Browns did. Maybe Jax will just release him if they don't deem him healthy enough.

  • It appears Mankoks attitude will be to keep things moving in the event of rookie and perhaps even elder veterans who endure injuries because an injured player on the sideline cant help the club which desperately needs able bodies it kinda sucks that carey was doing so well then pop and he is waived...

    It does show that mangini isnt playin around he wants tough guys and im sure careys departure has the rooks thinking about that...

  • Its now over. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, he is not going to be the deciding factor for our team. Next topic.

  • Its now over. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, he is not going to be the deciding factor for our team. Next topic.

    @cambridgeho said:

    Its now over. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, he is not going to be the deciding factor for our team. Next topic.

    Hey, the guys on this thread will decide when it's the next topic. If you don't give a shit then leave the thread alone.

    BTW, it may not be over with it is possible for him to end up back here, that's why we're trying to figure out what's going on.

    Seriously, you guys that need to throw your bullshit in on threads just stay out of them. It's busy time, there are threads everywhere to play in.

  • @inspecta said:

    Just got a twitter update from Don Carey, he says thanks for the love the fans showed him in his brief time here, and he's now heading to Jacksonville.

    Classy goodbye from a classy guy.

    From: @TheOBR

    Sent: Aug 8, 2009 2:56p

    RT @doncarey: thanks to everyone for you support. I really appreciate the love. I will be fine. Goodbye to browns fans and HELLO Jax!

    sent via TweetDeck

  • Okay so I have 3 questions:

    1) We put him on waivers per the "injury" because we cannot just slide him onto IR. So Jax claimed him - doesn't he HAVE to stay on their active roster the whole season?

    2) If they want to place him on IR, doesn't he have to go on waivers again?

    3) If they do place him on waivers, doesn't the team that drafted him - Cleveland - get first dibs?

    This seems like a ripoff to me if Jax gets to eventually place him on IR.

    @vegasdogg said:

    Okay so I have 3 questions:

    1) We put him on waivers per the "injury" because we cannot just slide him onto IR. So Jax claimed him - doesn't he HAVE to stay on their active roster the whole season?

    2) If they want to place him on IR, doesn't he have to go on waivers again?

    3) If they do place him on waivers, doesn't the team that drafted him - Cleveland - get first dibs?

    This seems like a ripoff to me if Jax gets to eventually place him on IR.

    I am wondering if anyone know the answer to the above? I can't find the info I am looking for on any of the sites I know.