Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Best QBs Pre/Post Merger

Best QBs Pre/Post Merger

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
13 Posts 3 Posters 255 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
    • 57k Posts
    • 4k Reputation
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Since I just did something similar with the RBs.....let's do the same with QBs.      I will divide it like this:

    1.  Choose the  Top  5 QBs  who played most of their careers  Pre=Merger.    i.e.   the first half of NFL history   1920-1970.

    2. Choose the Top 5 QBs  who have played their careers Post-Merger,  i.e. the latter half of NFL history   1970-2020.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
      • 57k Posts
      • 4k Reputation
      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
      #2

      1.  Choose the  Top  5 QBs  who played most of their careers  Pre=Merger.    i.e.   the first half of NFL history   1920-1970.

      I choose:  Otto Graham,  Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr,  Sid Luckman,  Sammy Baugh

      2. Choose the Top 5 QBs  who have played their careers Post-Merger,  i.e. the latter half of NFL history   1970-2020.

      This is tough:   Three for sure:   Tom Brady,  Joe Montana, Peyton Manning.    (now, for the last 2 spots I need to choose from these:  Staubach, Bradshaw, Elway, Favre, Brees, Rodgers, Marino, ).

      I think I will have to go with Elway for one ......and...????  Who?  Brees has all the numbers.  Bradshaw has the titles....Staubach has the image....Favre had the chutzpah.....Marino and Rodgers had the pure throwing skills.    Damn...I can't decide.    Leave it up for debate. 

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Icecube I Very Popular Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 2k Posts
        • 436 Reputation
        I Icecube wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I'm just not interested in pre-merger stuff. I wasn't alive or at least not aware. 

        I barely even care about the 70's. 

        So.........

        1. Elway - his stats are hurt by having Reeves as his coach for so long. 

        2. Brady - Can't argue with 6 rings and 9 SB appearances. 

        3. Montana. 4-0. 

        4. Marino - no rings, but what a thrower. 

        5. (this gets tough) Fouts, Brees, Manning, Favre, Bradshaw, Aikman. 

        The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • I Icecube

          I'm just not interested in pre-merger stuff. I wasn't alive or at least not aware. 

          I barely even care about the 70's. 

          So.........

          1. Elway - his stats are hurt by having Reeves as his coach for so long. 

          2. Brady - Can't argue with 6 rings and 9 SB appearances. 

          3. Montana. 4-0. 

          4. Marino - no rings, but what a thrower. 

          5. (this gets tough) Fouts, Brees, Manning, Favre, Bradshaw, Aikman. 

          The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
          • 57k Posts
          • 4k Reputation
          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @icecube said:

          I'm just not interested in pre-merger stuff. I wasn't alive or at least not aware. 

          Neither was hardly anyone else here...even the oldest of us, including me.   I did see Starr and Unitas, but not OG, BAugh, Luckman. They do have this stuff called film that you can watch, and these things called books that you can read, and this thing called Google that you can look up anything on....even if it happened before you were around.

          I barely even care about the 70's. 

          So.........

          1. Elway - his stats are hurt by having Reeves as his coach for so long. 

          2. Brady - Can't argue with 6 rings and 9 SB appearances. 

          3. Montana. 4-0. 

          4. Marino - no rings, but what a thrower. 

          5. (this gets tough) Fouts, Brees, Manning, Favre, Bradshaw, Aikman. 

          (It is tough, isn't it.)

          I 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • The GipperT The Gipper

            @icecube said:

            I'm just not interested in pre-merger stuff. I wasn't alive or at least not aware. 

            Neither was hardly anyone else here...even the oldest of us, including me.   I did see Starr and Unitas, but not OG, BAugh, Luckman. They do have this stuff called film that you can watch, and these things called books that you can read, and this thing called Google that you can look up anything on....even if it happened before you were around.

            I barely even care about the 70's. 

            So.........

            1. Elway - his stats are hurt by having Reeves as his coach for so long. 

            2. Brady - Can't argue with 6 rings and 9 SB appearances. 

            3. Montana. 4-0. 

            4. Marino - no rings, but what a thrower. 

            5. (this gets tough) Fouts, Brees, Manning, Favre, Bradshaw, Aikman. 

            (It is tough, isn't it.)

            Icecube I Very Popular Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 2k Posts
            • 436 Reputation
            I Icecube wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @the-gipper said:

            @the-gipper said:

            I know of these things called books, film and google; I just don't care. If NFL Network shows anything that is pre-merger I change the channel every time. It really wasn't even the same sport.  

            The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • I Icecube

              @the-gipper said:

              @the-gipper said:

              I know of these things called books, film and google; I just don't care. If NFL Network shows anything that is pre-merger I change the channel every time. It really wasn't even the same sport.  

              The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
              • 57k Posts
              • 4k Reputation
              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @icecube said:

              I know of these things called books, film and google; I just don't care. If NFL Network shows anything that is pre-merger I change the channel every time. It really wasn't even the same sport.  

              This is why no one here respects your opinions. 

              I 1 Reply Last reply
              ❤ 😂
              Quote Reply
              • The GipperT The Gipper

                @icecube said:

                I know of these things called books, film and google; I just don't care. If NFL Network shows anything that is pre-merger I change the channel every time. It really wasn't even the same sport.  

                This is why no one here respects your opinions. 

                Icecube I Very Popular Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 2k Posts
                • 436 Reputation
                I Icecube wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @the-gipper said:

                This is why no one here respects your opinions. 

                Is that right? I know the two old dudes in the balcony might not. 

                The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • I Icecube

                  @the-gipper said:

                  This is why no one here respects your opinions. 

                  Is that right? I know the two old dudes in the balcony might not. 

                  The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                  • 57k Posts
                  • 4k Reputation
                  The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @icecube said:

                  Is that right? I know the two old dudes in the balcony might not. 

                  Yes, it is right. 

                  I 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • The GipperT The Gipper

                    @icecube said:

                    Is that right? I know the two old dudes in the balcony might not. 

                    Yes, it is right. 

                    Icecube I Very Popular Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 2k Posts
                    • 436 Reputation
                    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @the-gipper said:

                    Yes, it is right. 

                    The two old dudes in the balcony? Agreed. 

                    mjp28M 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • I Icecube

                      @the-gipper said:

                      Yes, it is right. 

                      The two old dudes in the balcony? Agreed. 

                      mjp28 mjp28M In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                      • 18k Posts
                      • 4k Reputation
                      mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @icecube said:

                      The two old dudes in the balcony? Agreed. 

                      Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

                      And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

                      GO BUCKEYES, BROWNS, INDIANS, CAVS, YSU, NAVY and yes I like ND!
                      I The GipperT 2 Replies Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • mjp28M mjp28

                        @icecube said:

                        The two old dudes in the balcony? Agreed. 

                        Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

                        And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

                        Icecube I Very Popular Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 2k Posts
                        • 436 Reputation
                        I Icecube wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @mjp28 said:

                        Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

                        And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

                        Not so old that I remember pre-merger football, or care about it. 

                        mjp28M 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • I Icecube

                          @mjp28 said:

                          Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

                          And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

                          Not so old that I remember pre-merger football, or care about it. 

                          mjp28 mjp28M In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                          • 18k Posts
                          • 4k Reputation
                          mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
                          #12

                          @icecube said:

                          Not so old that I remember pre-merger football, or care about it. 

                          My favorite "golden era of football" was the 60s, 70s into the 80s.

                          The Sabol's NFL highlights, the BROWNS won the NFL in 1964 I wasn't that big on the merger especially the BROWNS going into the AFC 😮.

                          I got my first set of pads and helmet in 1958 and my teenage years were from 1962 to 1969..... strange how that all works out.

                          GO BUCKEYES, BROWNS, INDIANS, CAVS, YSU, NAVY and yes I like ND!
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • mjp28M mjp28

                            @icecube said:

                            The two old dudes in the balcony? Agreed. 

                            Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

                            And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

                            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                            • 57k Posts
                            • 4k Reputation
                            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @mjp28 said:

                            Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

                            And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

                            Again,  why must one be alive to know stuff about something.  I am a somewhat devotee of different kinds of history that I was not alive for. 

                            And there is all kinds of shit that has happened while I have been alive that I don't give a shit about or know nothing about.   I have been alive for all of the rap music era, but I know little about it really (some, just the B.I.G. stuff)

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            Reply
                            • Reply as topic
                            Log in to reply
                            • Oldest to Newest
                            • Newest to Oldest
                            • Most Votes


                            Theme
                            • System
                            • Light
                            • Dark
                            The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                            The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                            • First post
                              Last post
                            0
                            • Forums
                            • Recent
                            • Popular
                            • Users
                            • Donate