Skip to content

Best QBs Pre/Post Merger

The Browns Board
13 3 255
  • Since I just did something similar with the RBs.....let's do the same with QBs.      I will divide it like this:

    1.  Choose the  Top  5 QBs  who played most of their careers  Pre=Merger.    i.e.   the first half of NFL history   1920-1970.

    2. Choose the Top 5 QBs  who have played their careers Post-Merger,  i.e. the latter half of NFL history   1970-2020.

  • 1.  Choose the  Top  5 QBs  who played most of their careers  Pre=Merger.    i.e.   the first half of NFL history   1920-1970.

    I choose:  Otto Graham,  Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr,  Sid Luckman,  Sammy Baugh

    2. Choose the Top 5 QBs  who have played their careers Post-Merger,  i.e. the latter half of NFL history   1970-2020.

    This is tough:   Three for sure:   Tom Brady,  Joe Montana, Peyton Manning.    (now, for the last 2 spots I need to choose from these:  Staubach, Bradshaw, Elway, Favre, Brees, Rodgers, Marino, ).

    I think I will have to go with Elway for one ......and...????  Who?  Brees has all the numbers.  Bradshaw has the titles....Staubach has the image....Favre had the chutzpah.....Marino and Rodgers had the pure throwing skills.    Damn...I can't decide.    Leave it up for debate. 

  • I'm just not interested in pre-merger stuff. I wasn't alive or at least not aware. 

    I barely even care about the 70's. 

    So.........

    1. Elway - his stats are hurt by having Reeves as his coach for so long. 

    2. Brady - Can't argue with 6 rings and 9 SB appearances. 

    3. Montana. 4-0. 

    4. Marino - no rings, but what a thrower. 

    5. (this gets tough) Fouts, Brees, Manning, Favre, Bradshaw, Aikman. 

  • I'm just not interested in pre-merger stuff. I wasn't alive or at least not aware. 

    I barely even care about the 70's. 

    So.........

    1. Elway - his stats are hurt by having Reeves as his coach for so long. 

    2. Brady - Can't argue with 6 rings and 9 SB appearances. 

    3. Montana. 4-0. 

    4. Marino - no rings, but what a thrower. 

    5. (this gets tough) Fouts, Brees, Manning, Favre, Bradshaw, Aikman. 

    @icecube said:

    I'm just not interested in pre-merger stuff. I wasn't alive or at least not aware. 

    Neither was hardly anyone else here...even the oldest of us, including me.   I did see Starr and Unitas, but not OG, BAugh, Luckman. They do have this stuff called film that you can watch, and these things called books that you can read, and this thing called Google that you can look up anything on....even if it happened before you were around.

    I barely even care about the 70's. 

    So.........

    1. Elway - his stats are hurt by having Reeves as his coach for so long. 

    2. Brady - Can't argue with 6 rings and 9 SB appearances. 

    3. Montana. 4-0. 

    4. Marino - no rings, but what a thrower. 

    5. (this gets tough) Fouts, Brees, Manning, Favre, Bradshaw, Aikman. 

    (It is tough, isn't it.)

  • @icecube said:

    I'm just not interested in pre-merger stuff. I wasn't alive or at least not aware. 

    Neither was hardly anyone else here...even the oldest of us, including me.   I did see Starr and Unitas, but not OG, BAugh, Luckman. They do have this stuff called film that you can watch, and these things called books that you can read, and this thing called Google that you can look up anything on....even if it happened before you were around.

    I barely even care about the 70's. 

    So.........

    1. Elway - his stats are hurt by having Reeves as his coach for so long. 

    2. Brady - Can't argue with 6 rings and 9 SB appearances. 

    3. Montana. 4-0. 

    4. Marino - no rings, but what a thrower. 

    5. (this gets tough) Fouts, Brees, Manning, Favre, Bradshaw, Aikman. 

    (It is tough, isn't it.)

    @the-gipper said:

    @the-gipper said:

    I know of these things called books, film and google; I just don't care. If NFL Network shows anything that is pre-merger I change the channel every time. It really wasn't even the same sport.  

  • @the-gipper said:

    @the-gipper said:

    I know of these things called books, film and google; I just don't care. If NFL Network shows anything that is pre-merger I change the channel every time. It really wasn't even the same sport.  

    @icecube said:

    I know of these things called books, film and google; I just don't care. If NFL Network shows anything that is pre-merger I change the channel every time. It really wasn't even the same sport.  

    This is why no one here respects your opinions. 

  • @icecube said:

    I know of these things called books, film and google; I just don't care. If NFL Network shows anything that is pre-merger I change the channel every time. It really wasn't even the same sport.  

    This is why no one here respects your opinions. 

    @the-gipper said:

    This is why no one here respects your opinions. 

    Is that right? I know the two old dudes in the balcony might not. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    This is why no one here respects your opinions. 

    Is that right? I know the two old dudes in the balcony might not. 

    @icecube said:

    Is that right? I know the two old dudes in the balcony might not. 

    Yes, it is right. 

  • @icecube said:

    Is that right? I know the two old dudes in the balcony might not. 

    Yes, it is right. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, it is right. 

    The two old dudes in the balcony? Agreed. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, it is right. 

    The two old dudes in the balcony? Agreed. 

    @icecube said:

    The two old dudes in the balcony? Agreed. 

    Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

    And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

  • @icecube said:

    The two old dudes in the balcony? Agreed. 

    Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

    And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

    @mjp28 said:

    Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

    And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

    Not so old that I remember pre-merger football, or care about it. 

  • @mjp28 said:

    Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

    And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

    Not so old that I remember pre-merger football, or care about it. 

    @icecube said:

    Not so old that I remember pre-merger football, or care about it. 

    My favorite "golden era of football" was the 60s, 70s into the 80s.

    The Sabol's NFL highlights, the BROWNS won the NFL in 1964 I wasn't that big on the merger especially the BROWNS going into the AFC 😮.

    I got my first set of pads and helmet in 1958 and my teenage years were from 1962 to 1969..... strange how that all works out.

  • @icecube said:

    The two old dudes in the balcony? Agreed. 

    Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

    And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

    @mjp28 said:

    Yes being that we're heading into Super Bowl 55 and you had to be around 10+ years old when you started to really get into football and if you remember (not just read about) pre-merger football and the old AFL and Pete Roselle and all of that stuff you are indeed an old geezer.

    And yes I remember the old and exciting AFL brand of football.

    Again,  why must one be alive to know stuff about something.  I am a somewhat devotee of different kinds of history that I was not alive for. 

    And there is all kinds of shit that has happened while I have been alive that I don't give a shit about or know nothing about.   I have been alive for all of the rap music era, but I know little about it really (some, just the B.I.G. stuff)