Skip to content

Bungle Week

The Browns Board
64 26 2.3k 1
  • As for the rest of the game... had a little focus issue as I puttered around with the game on in the background...  on the mix channel to boot. The game was simply too bad to focus on.

    That said FWIW...

    Burrows had a very up and down game... typical rookie stuff. A lot of it was due to his OL getting owned all game long... but at the end he put together a really nice drive. Now in part this was due to LAC protecting its 3-point lead with maybe a touch of fatigue in their DL. In any case Joe had time and picked the D apart and actually threw the game winning TD to AJ with 7 seconds left on the clock. However...

    AJ was called for pushing off at the top of the route before coming back to the right-front pylon. Great throw met fully extended AJ-hands with toes dragging on the ground. IMO the push was minor... I did not see extended arm... wing maybe, but not arm.

    With the penalty negating the TD Cinci went immediately for the tie via a 31-yd FG... which was missed badly. Cinci's kicker grabbed his calf in pain... might even have been hurt... 😉

    Bottom line... we should beat these guys... their OL is porous... their D gives up plays (I thought they'd be better).

    On the other hand I saw highlights of what WSH did to PHI... especially the way their DL beat up Wentz... so I'm a little less optimistic than I was about Game 3. But at least we have a long week to prep for their visit to CLE.

  • As for the rest of the game... had a little focus issue as I puttered around with the game on in the background...  on the mix channel to boot. The game was simply too bad to focus on.

    That said FWIW...

    Burrows had a very up and down game... typical rookie stuff. A lot of it was due to his OL getting owned all game long... but at the end he put together a really nice drive. Now in part this was due to LAC protecting its 3-point lead with maybe a touch of fatigue in their DL. In any case Joe had time and picked the D apart and actually threw the game winning TD to AJ with 7 seconds left on the clock. However...

    AJ was called for pushing off at the top of the route before coming back to the right-front pylon. Great throw met fully extended AJ-hands with toes dragging on the ground. IMO the push was minor... I did not see extended arm... wing maybe, but not arm.

    With the penalty negating the TD Cinci went immediately for the tie via a 31-yd FG... which was missed badly. Cinci's kicker grabbed his calf in pain... might even have been hurt... 😉

    Bottom line... we should beat these guys... their OL is porous... their D gives up plays (I thought they'd be better).

    On the other hand I saw highlights of what WSH did to PHI... especially the way their DL beat up Wentz... so I'm a little less optimistic than I was about Game 3. But at least we have a long week to prep for their visit to CLE.

    @tour2ma said:

    As for the rest of the game... had a little focus issue as I puttered around with the game on in the background...  on the mix channel to boot. The game was simply too bad to focus on.

    That said FWIW...

    Burrows had a very up and down game... typical rookie stuff. A lot of it was due to his OL getting owned all game long... but at the end he put together a really nice drive. Now in part this was due to LAC protecting its 3-point lead with maybe a touch of fatigue in their DL. In any case Joe had time and picked the D apart and actually threw the game winning TD to AJ with 7 seconds left on the clock. However...

    AJ was called for pushing off at the top of the route before coming back to the right-front pylon. Great throw met fully extended AJ-hands with toes dragging on the ground. IMO the push was minor... I did not see extended arm... wing maybe, but not arm.

    With the penalty negating the TD Cinci went immediately for the tie via a 31-yd FG... which was missed badly. Cinci's kicker grabbed his calf in pain... might even have been hurt... 😉

    Bottom line... we should beat these guys... their OL is porous... their D gives up plays (I thought they'd be better).

    On the other hand I saw highlights of what WSH did to PHI... especially the way their DL beat up Wentz... so I'm a little less optimistic than I was about Game 3. But at least we have a long week to prep for their visit to CLE.

    adding chase to their D did not hurt one bit I believe as a team they had 8 sacks

  • @tour2ma said:

    As for the rest of the game... had a little focus issue as I puttered around with the game on in the background...  on the mix channel to boot. The game was simply too bad to focus on.

    That said FWIW...

    Burrows had a very up and down game... typical rookie stuff. A lot of it was due to his OL getting owned all game long... but at the end he put together a really nice drive. Now in part this was due to LAC protecting its 3-point lead with maybe a touch of fatigue in their DL. In any case Joe had time and picked the D apart and actually threw the game winning TD to AJ with 7 seconds left on the clock. However...

    AJ was called for pushing off at the top of the route before coming back to the right-front pylon. Great throw met fully extended AJ-hands with toes dragging on the ground. IMO the push was minor... I did not see extended arm... wing maybe, but not arm.

    With the penalty negating the TD Cinci went immediately for the tie via a 31-yd FG... which was missed badly. Cinci's kicker grabbed his calf in pain... might even have been hurt... 😉

    Bottom line... we should beat these guys... their OL is porous... their D gives up plays (I thought they'd be better).

    On the other hand I saw highlights of what WSH did to PHI... especially the way their DL beat up Wentz... so I'm a little less optimistic than I was about Game 3. But at least we have a long week to prep for their visit to CLE.

    adding chase to their D did not hurt one bit I believe as a team they had 8 sacks

    @atom said:

    adding chase to their D did not hurt one bit I believe as a team they had 8 sacks

    Kid looked every part the man among boys that he was at tOSU.    1.5 sacks and a handful of pressures.

  • As for the rest of the game... had a little focus issue as I puttered around with the game on in the background...  on the mix channel to boot. The game was simply too bad to focus on.

    That said FWIW...

    Burrows had a very up and down game... typical rookie stuff. A lot of it was due to his OL getting owned all game long... but at the end he put together a really nice drive. Now in part this was due to LAC protecting its 3-point lead with maybe a touch of fatigue in their DL. In any case Joe had time and picked the D apart and actually threw the game winning TD to AJ with 7 seconds left on the clock. However...

    AJ was called for pushing off at the top of the route before coming back to the right-front pylon. Great throw met fully extended AJ-hands with toes dragging on the ground. IMO the push was minor... I did not see extended arm... wing maybe, but not arm.

    With the penalty negating the TD Cinci went immediately for the tie via a 31-yd FG... which was missed badly. Cinci's kicker grabbed his calf in pain... might even have been hurt... 😉

    Bottom line... we should beat these guys... their OL is porous... their D gives up plays (I thought they'd be better).

    On the other hand I saw highlights of what WSH did to PHI... especially the way their DL beat up Wentz... so I'm a little less optimistic than I was about Game 3. But at least we have a long week to prep for their visit to CLE.

    @tour2ma said:

    As for the rest of the game... had a little focus issue as I puttered around with the game on in the background...  on the mix channel to boot. The game was simply too bad to focus on.

    That said FWIW...

    AJ was called for pushing off at the top of the route before coming back to the right-front pylon. Great throw met fully extended AJ-hands with toes dragging on the ground. IMO the push was minor... I did not see extended arm... wing maybe, but not arm.

    With the penalty negating the TD Cinci went immediately for the tie via a 31-yd FG... which was missed badly. Cinci's kicker grabbed his calf in pain... might even have been hurt... 😉

    Bottom line... we should beat these guys... their OL is porous... their D gives up plays (I thought they'd be better).

    On the other hand I saw highlights of what WSH did to PHI... especially the way their DL beat up Wentz... so I'm a little less optimistic than I was about Game 3. But at least we have a long week to prep for their visit to CLE.

    Regarding the bold I disagree... saw the last 10 minutes of the game at a bar. Green clearly  pushed off to get separation.... Yeah, most times that doesn't get called in the last two minutes. But MHO- it was the right call.... And did a little victory jig when their kicker shanked the tying FG with no time left.... 

  • Tuesday NOON injury report:

    CINCINNATI BENGALS

    Player Pos Date Injury Status Expected Return

    Geno Atkins DT September 13, 2020 shoulder Out  

    LeShaun Sims CB September 13, 2020 not injury related Doubtful  

    Shawn Williams S September 13, 2020 calf Out  

    CLEVELAND BROWNS

    Player Pos Date Injury Status Expected Return

    Chris Hubbard T September 13, 2020 ankle Out  

    Kevin Johnson CB September 13, 2020 liver Out  

    David Njoku TE September 14, 2020 knee IR October 11, 2020

    Comments: Njoku (knee) was placed on injured reserve Monday and will miss at least three weeks.

    M.J. Stewart CB September 13, 2020 hamstring Questionable  

    JC Tretter C September 13, 2020 knee Questionable  

    Greedy Williams CB September 13, 2020 shoulder Out  

    Mack Wilson LB September 13, 2020 knee Out  

  • I've had time to digest the atrociousness that was Sunday and I still don't feel better. What we're left with is a "must win" on week 2 against a team that was extremely close to winning. Obviously THEY didn't play the damn Ravens, but they still looked competitive. 

    I don't want to think about what will happen if we lose this game. I was convinced we'd lose Ravens game, no surprise there, but I need to see us win Thursday. Browns NATION needs this win. The truly great news is that the Bengals had one of the worst offensive line performances I've ever seen. Burrow could barely snap the ball before being swarmed. Now, we don't have the DL that the Chargers have, and Myles Garrett still has a lot to prove after last game, but we SHOULD give this line fits. Myles Garrett should destroy people Thursday. 

    I watched a little of Rams game and know what I saw? I saw Aaron Donald dominate and beat up and offense by himself. When has Garrett done that? Maybe a few times, but if he's living up to that contract, he needs to be knocking heads every drive. I don't think I heard his NAME Sunday. 

    The Bengals' defense isn't bad, not at all, but it's not Baltimore. We SHOULD be able to move the damn ball, so we'll see I guess. Carolina had every chance to win the game Sunday and they have NOBODY on their roster besides McCaferry and those guys scored 30 points! We scored 6! I'm just tired of the excuses and want to see us play better. I mean, look at Pittsburgh. What are THEY gonna do to us? 

    It all starts Thursday. We win, we've got a season. We lose, and you know the drill. I'd love to see us come out and beat the Bengals down. Just have a game where shit comes together. I refuse to think we're THAT bad, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. 

    Did I mention I don't like OBJ? Whatever, that's a conversation for a different day. Go Browns! WOOF! 

  • My concern is the Browns D. There was hardly any defender present in the middle of the field vs Balt, a recurring theme from last season.

    It's like the LBs just charge towards the LOS on every play. Puts way too much pressure on the secondary if a tackle is broken. 

  • It will nice to get Greedy and Mack back... Goodson can tackle but looked kinda slow

  • (cough a hairball) ? Joe Mixon has 3 games of over 100 yard rushing in 6 career Browns match ups.. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MixoJo00/gamelog/?opp_id=cle

    Will Joe Mixon leave Cleveland..... over .500? or Under .500? in his career of over 100 yard rushing games verse Da Browns? (that's your poll question)

    if over?   Giving up -6.5 points, is giving this home dawg... fitz.. ?  what's the over / under set at in this game?

    Edit-- could it get any more juicy than this https://www.nfl.com/news/austin-seibert-bengals-claiming-former-browns-kicker-ahead-of-tnf-meeting   ?️ hot sauce, please! 

  • Q1:

    • So far Burrows has looked like a rookie... errant passes... eyeing the rush... locking onto to well-covered receivers. But last drive hit AJ on a slant... nice... and ran for a TD on a called QB draw so curious to see how he settles in.
    • Mixon looks pretty good early, but being held in check by a still very good LAC D.
    • Cinci D? Hard to tell as the Tyrod-led, LAC O looks bad... very bad, but he did just hit a nice out route... and followed it up with a failed 4th and 2 read-option that he kept.
    • Bosa owns Cinci's RT... bodes well for MG having a big game

    End of 1st... CIN 7 - LAC 0

    @tour2ma said:

    • Cinci D? Hard to tell as the Tyrod-led, LAC O looks bad... very bad, but he did just hit a nice out route... and followed it up with a failed 4th and 2 read-option that he kept.
    • Bosa owns Cinci's RT... bodes well for MG having a big game

    End of 1st... CIN 7 - LAC 0

    Despite Tyrod's winning ugly.. I saw nothing from the Chargers OL, but ya better win this low scoring chitfest ?.. Both the Chargers starting C & G were out.. The Bung-gals should have, Bull rushed at anybody not wearing the RT B. Bulaga jersey... 

    Anywho? The Bengals better see a better OL than what they faced with the LAC

  • My concern is the Browns D. There was hardly any defender present in the middle of the field vs Balt, a recurring theme from last season.

    It's like the LBs just charge towards the LOS on every play. Puts way too much pressure on the secondary if a tackle is broken. 

    @bob806 said:

    My concern is the Browns D. There was hardly any defender present in the middle of the field vs Balt, a recurring theme from last season.

    It's like the LBs just charge towards the LOS on every play. Puts way too much pressure on the secondary if a tackle is broken. 

    I didn't have much faith going into the season regarding the defense, and that's before Greedy Williams, Delpit, Mack Wilson, et al got hurt.

    It could be ugly this season defensively. 

  • It's the same rinse, recycle, repeat every year with the Browns. They show up in the first game of the season looking like any random pop warner football team would stomp them into the ground, then we hear "well, it's going to take some time to get used to the new system" because they have a new damn coaching staff every couple of years. When is the circus going to end? I am still beside myself with the Freddie Kitchens hire. No previous experience in college or pros. Hey, I'll fill out an application in the mean time. ?‍♂️

  • N Neo

    It's the same rinse, recycle, repeat every year with the Browns. They show up in the first game of the season looking like any random pop warner football team would stomp them into the ground, then we hear "well, it's going to take some time to get used to the new system" because they have a new damn coaching staff every couple of years. When is the circus going to end? I am still beside myself with the Freddie Kitchens hire. No previous experience in college or pros. Hey, I'll fill out an application in the mean time. ?‍♂️

    @neo said:

    It's the same rinse, recycle, repeat every year with the Browns. They show up in the first game of the season looking like any random pop warner football team would stomp them into the ground, then we hear "well, it's going to take some time to get used to the new system" because they have a new damn coaching staff every couple of years. When is the circus going to end? I am still beside myself with the Freddie Kitchens hire. No previous experience in college or pros. Hey, I'll fill out an application in the mean time. ?‍♂️

    Well allow me to add that Stefanski was interviewed twice for the Browns head coaching job (2019 which he lost out to Freddie and 2020). 

    He received exactly zero head coach interviews from the rest of the NFL. 

    It would be cool if it turns out to be a "Well look at the Browns unearthing this gem" situation... We'll see. 

  • N Neo

    It's the same rinse, recycle, repeat every year with the Browns. They show up in the first game of the season looking like any random pop warner football team would stomp them into the ground, then we hear "well, it's going to take some time to get used to the new system" because they have a new damn coaching staff every couple of years. When is the circus going to end? I am still beside myself with the Freddie Kitchens hire. No previous experience in college or pros. Hey, I'll fill out an application in the mean time. ?‍♂️

    @neo said:

     When is the circus going to end? I am still beside myself with the Freddie Kitchens hire. No previous experience in college or pros. Hey, I'll fill out an application in the mean time. ?‍♂️

    Do you remember the coaching staff that Belicheck had together before Art shut it down? Sam's? Marty's? That's when we'll stop seeing guys leave here to only get better nfl coaching at other teams..

    It's only week 2... with the Bengals & Skins (opps! Skins on a horse with no name) up next... Will the continuing bitch-fest continue? .. stay tuned ?

  • I've had time to digest the atrociousness that was Sunday and I still don't feel better. What we're left with is a "must win" on week 2 against a team that was extremely close to winning. Obviously THEY didn't play the damn Ravens, but they still looked competitive. 

    I don't want to think about what will happen if we lose this game. I was convinced we'd lose Ravens game, no surprise there, but I need to see us win Thursday. Browns NATION needs this win. The truly great news is that the Bengals had one of the worst offensive line performances I've ever seen. Burrow could barely snap the ball before being swarmed. Now, we don't have the DL that the Chargers have, and Myles Garrett still has a lot to prove after last game, but we SHOULD give this line fits. Myles Garrett should destroy people Thursday. 

    I watched a little of Rams game and know what I saw? I saw Aaron Donald dominate and beat up and offense by himself. When has Garrett done that? Maybe a few times, but if he's living up to that contract, he needs to be knocking heads every drive. I don't think I heard his NAME Sunday. 

    The Bengals' defense isn't bad, not at all, but it's not Baltimore. We SHOULD be able to move the damn ball, so we'll see I guess. Carolina had every chance to win the game Sunday and they have NOBODY on their roster besides McCaferry and those guys scored 30 points! We scored 6! I'm just tired of the excuses and want to see us play better. I mean, look at Pittsburgh. What are THEY gonna do to us? 

    It all starts Thursday. We win, we've got a season. We lose, and you know the drill. I'd love to see us come out and beat the Bengals down. Just have a game where shit comes together. I refuse to think we're THAT bad, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. 

    Did I mention I don't like OBJ? Whatever, that's a conversation for a different day. Go Browns! WOOF! 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I've had time to digest the atrociousness that was Sunday and I still don't feel better. What we're left with is a "must win" on week 2 against a team that was extremely close to winning. Obviously THEY didn't play the damn Ravens, but they still looked competitive. 

    I don't want to think about what will happen if we lose this game. I was convinced we'd lose Ravens game, no surprise there, but I need to see us win Thursday. Browns NATION needs this win. The truly great news is that the Bengals had one of the worst offensive line performances I've ever seen. Burrow could barely snap the ball before being swarmed. Now, we don't have the DL that the Chargers have, and Myles Garrett still has a lot to prove after last game, but we SHOULD give this line fits. Myles Garrett should destroy people Thursday. 

    I watched a little of Rams game and know what I saw? I saw Aaron Donald dominate and beat up and offense by himself. When has Garrett done that? Maybe a few times, but if he's living up to that contract, he needs to be knocking heads every drive. I don't think I heard his NAME Sunday. 

    The Bengals' defense isn't bad, not at all, but it's not Baltimore. We SHOULD be able to move the damn ball, so we'll see I guess. Carolina had every chance to win the game Sunday and they have NOBODY on their roster besides McCaferry and those guys scored 30 points! We scored 6! I'm just tired of the excuses and want to see us play better. I mean, look at Pittsburgh. What are THEY gonna do to us? 

    It all starts Thursday. We win, we've got a season. We lose, and you know the drill. I'd love to see us come out and beat the Bengals down. Just have a game where shit comes together. I refuse to think we're THAT bad, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. 

    Did I mention I don't like OBJ? Whatever, that's a conversation for a different day. Go Browns! WOOF! 

    Jiggins, I hear you. I think the Browns should win Thursday...they better. 

  • Q1:

    • So far Burrows has looked like a rookie... errant passes... eyeing the rush... locking onto to well-covered receivers. But last drive hit AJ on a slant... nice... and ran for a TD on a called QB draw so curious to see how he settles in.
    • Mixon looks pretty good early, but being held in check by a still very good LAC D.
    • Cinci D? Hard to tell as the Tyrod-led, LAC O looks bad... very bad, but he did just hit a nice out route... and followed it up with a failed 4th and 2 read-option that he kept.
    • Bosa owns Cinci's RT... bodes well for MG having a big game

    End of 1st... CIN 7 - LAC 0

    @tour2ma said:

    Q1:

    • So far Burrows has looked like a rookie... errant passes... eyeing the rush... locking onto to well-covered receivers. But last drive hit AJ on a slant... nice... and ran for a TD on a called QB draw so curious to see how he settles in.
    • Mixon looks pretty good early, but being held in check by a still very good LAC D.
    • Cinci D? Hard to tell as the Tyrod-led, LAC O looks bad... very bad, but he did just hit a nice out route... and followed it up with a failed 4th and 2 read-option that he kept.
    • Bosa owns Cinci's RT... bodes well for MG having a big game

    End of 1st... CIN 7 - LAC 0

    OK Tour, I watched a good deal of the Bengals game and I've got some good news and some bad news. 

    Bad news:  Joe Mixon is a beast and he loves playing us. When you look at our linebackers and look at secondary, you're left with one thought, "I really hope I have Joe Mixon in fantasy." Haha. But seriously, Mixon is a problem and we're going to need more from Goodson and Taki. 

    Additionally, we've got issues with their WRs. AJ Green looked pretty dang good and they've got PLENTY of other options including Ross and Boyd. Joe Burrow BARELY missed two wide open TD throws that will likely haunt him for the rest of the year. What scares me is the receivers were that open to begin with down the field against a VERY good Chargers secondary. Do you guys remember how open people were against the Ravens? Yeah, me too and it's not good. How many times were our WRs wide open against Baltimore? Not many... 

    Lastly, Cincy has an EXCELLENT safety who is seemingly everywhere. I forget his name, but I have a feeling we'll identify him early. 

    You guys want some good news? Man, I know I could use some! 

    Good news:  Geno Atkins is PROBABLY not playing. He was out Sunday and I can't imagine he's feeling better yet. The Bengals gave up about 160 rushing yards, and not just that, but they gave up that many rushing yards against the Bolts. The Bengals weren't worried about Tyrod beating them through the air, that means that even with putting the majority of their effort into stopping the run, they still couldn't stop it. And the Bolts didn't have ANYONE like OUR backs. 

    Perhaps the best news I read, and what I noticed, is that the Bengals' two starting CBs were NOT good, and were some of the worst rated in the league. These match ups are a far cry from the Baltimore players who are among the best you'll see. Our offense is supposed to be designed around the run, play-action passes, and keeping the chains moving. This Bengals game is essentially tailor-made for our offense, it really is. 

    Lastly, Myles Garrett. He didn't have the game we all wanted, but Joe Burrow was under durress the ENTIRE 1st half. It got much better in the 2nd half, but I thought he was going to get injured he got hit so much. We should FEAST on their OL. 

    We're going to score 27 points, and we're going to win. I'm as angry as anyone about how we showed up, but Bengals picked 1st for a reason. We're better, we win. 

  • Here we are, ready to start the 2020 season, and the battle for bragging rights are here in week 2. No barking in the dawg pound this season.I love the Browns, the long time rivalry for the best of Ohio is a match up in the headlines. 2 Heisman winners, Baker Mayfield, and Joe Burrow. Baker may have the upper hand in aggressiveness, and the want to win. Burrow is scrappy and will make plays on his own to keep the ball moving. Its the Browns home opener, lets put our pro talents on the field and start showing what type of winner this browns team can be. If we lose this game, its going to hurt all of us, and it will look like another season down the drain early.  GO BROWNS

  • More like the Battle of the AFCN Basement, the way we've been playing lately.

  • We're going to beat the snot out of them. I don't normally say that, but the rookie is going to be a rookie tomorrow night. First half is close, but Denzel Ward will get a pick 6 in the 2nd half and the route will be on. 

    We're better. 

  • I’m not sure how we will look. I hope the playcalling is aggressive early on.  Find a way to take a shot. 
    I’d doubt the defense is anywhere as poor this week against Cinci. Stop Mixon.