Skip to content

The Offensive Line

The Browns Board
65 19 2.5k 1
  • Good job by the OL.   Man...I've been very concerned about that unit, with the injuries, new system, no preseason to get cohesive.  Great game against the bengals.  But, it was, the bengals....

  • Good job by the OL.   Man...I've been very concerned about that unit, with the injuries, new system, no preseason to get cohesive.  Great game against the bengals.  But, it was, the bengals....

    @orion said:

    Good job by the OL.   Man...I've been very concerned about that unit, with the injuries, new system, no preseason to get cohesive.  Great game against the bengals.  But, it was, the bengals....

    Very true, and they didn't have Geno Atkins who has historically killed us, but they still had some gorillas on that DL and we absolutely baptized them. 

    You want the REAL test? That's coming Sunday against Washington. Just look at their DL, it's disgusting. It's gonna be a battle royale! I think they'll definitely make some big plays against us, but I'm hoping our returning defenders will help balance out the damage they cause. It really should be a good game. I think it'll be an ugly game and will most likely come down to the last 5 minutes. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the final score was 19-16, Browns. 

  • @orion said:

    Good job by the OL.   Man...I've been very concerned about that unit, with the injuries, new system, no preseason to get cohesive.  Great game against the bengals.  But, it was, the bengals....

    Very true, and they didn't have Geno Atkins who has historically killed us, but they still had some gorillas on that DL and we absolutely baptized them. 

    You want the REAL test? That's coming Sunday against Washington. Just look at their DL, it's disgusting. It's gonna be a battle royale! I think they'll definitely make some big plays against us, but I'm hoping our returning defenders will help balance out the damage they cause. It really should be a good game. I think it'll be an ugly game and will most likely come down to the last 5 minutes. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the final score was 19-16, Browns. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Very true, and they didn't have Geno Atkins who has historically killed us, but they still had some gorillas on that DL and we absolutely baptized them. 

    You want the REAL test? That's coming Sunday against Washington. Just look at their DL, it's disgusting. It's gonna be a battle royale! I think they'll definitely make some big plays against us, but I'm hoping our returning defenders will help balance out the damage they cause. It really should be a good game. I think it'll be an ugly game and will most likely come down to the last 5 minutes. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the final score was 19-16, Browns. 

    We need Jack Conklin back.  I don’t see Chris Hubbard handling Montez Sweat on that side - bad matchup for Hubbard.  If I can have one guy back this week it’s Conklin.

    I watched Washington’s game yesterday. Chase Young made a lot of plays in backside pursuit.  He’s such a fluid athlete.  He will spoil a handful of plays getting to the other sideline on the stretch play we run. I think You run at him.  

    Very similar to what we need to do against Pittsburgh.  We need to stay 3rd and less than 5.  This is a better front when it’s 3rd and long and they have just one job to think about (get the QB).  I see a lot of opportunities to make plays against their aggressive nature Sweat and Young can get out of position. 
     

    this is a game where we take 2,3,4 yards in the first half but stick with it in the second half and make a statement and pull away. 

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Very true, and they didn't have Geno Atkins who has historically killed us, but they still had some gorillas on that DL and we absolutely baptized them. 

    You want the REAL test? That's coming Sunday against Washington. Just look at their DL, it's disgusting. It's gonna be a battle royale! I think they'll definitely make some big plays against us, but I'm hoping our returning defenders will help balance out the damage they cause. It really should be a good game. I think it'll be an ugly game and will most likely come down to the last 5 minutes. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the final score was 19-16, Browns. 

    We need Jack Conklin back.  I don’t see Chris Hubbard handling Montez Sweat on that side - bad matchup for Hubbard.  If I can have one guy back this week it’s Conklin.

    I watched Washington’s game yesterday. Chase Young made a lot of plays in backside pursuit.  He’s such a fluid athlete.  He will spoil a handful of plays getting to the other sideline on the stretch play we run. I think You run at him.  

    Very similar to what we need to do against Pittsburgh.  We need to stay 3rd and less than 5.  This is a better front when it’s 3rd and long and they have just one job to think about (get the QB).  I see a lot of opportunities to make plays against their aggressive nature Sweat and Young can get out of position. 
     

    this is a game where we take 2,3,4 yards in the first half but stick with it in the second half and make a statement and pull away. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    We need Jack Conklin back.  I don’t see Chris Hubbard handling Montez Sweat on that side - bad matchup for Hubbard.  If I can have one guy back this week it’s Conklin.

    I watched Washington’s game yesterday. Chase Young made a lot of plays in backside pursuit.  He’s such a fluid athlete.  He will spoil a handful of plays getting to the other sideline on the stretch play we run. I think You run at him.  

    Very similar to what we need to do against Pittsburgh.  We need to stay 3rd and less than 5.  This is a better front when it’s 3rd and long and they have just one job to think about (get the QB).  I see a lot of opportunities to make plays against their aggressive nature Sweat and Young can get out of position. 
     

    this is a game where we take 2,3,4 yards in the first half but stick with it in the second half and make a statement and pull away. 

    I think we should just haul off and throw a bomb the first play, to get the safeties back on their heels, and get inside the heads of the defense.

       Kosar loved to do that. If I remember correctly, the Bengals did it the last game.

    Starting off running the ball to establish the run to set up play action - won't work I think vs washington. (they will always be the "Redskins" to me.)

         then sometime after that, you start hammering them with the running game. Just my two cents.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    We need Jack Conklin back.  I don’t see Chris Hubbard handling Montez Sweat on that side - bad matchup for Hubbard.  If I can have one guy back this week it’s Conklin.

    I watched Washington’s game yesterday. Chase Young made a lot of plays in backside pursuit.  He’s such a fluid athlete.  He will spoil a handful of plays getting to the other sideline on the stretch play we run. I think You run at him.  

    Very similar to what we need to do against Pittsburgh.  We need to stay 3rd and less than 5.  This is a better front when it’s 3rd and long and they have just one job to think about (get the QB).  I see a lot of opportunities to make plays against their aggressive nature Sweat and Young can get out of position. 
     

    this is a game where we take 2,3,4 yards in the first half but stick with it in the second half and make a statement and pull away. 

    I think we should just haul off and throw a bomb the first play, to get the safeties back on their heels, and get inside the heads of the defense.

       Kosar loved to do that. If I remember correctly, the Bengals did it the last game.

    Starting off running the ball to establish the run to set up play action - won't work I think vs washington. (they will always be the "Redskins" to me.)

         then sometime after that, you start hammering them with the running game. Just my two cents.

    @calfoxwc said:

    I think we should just haul off and throw a bomb the first play, to get the safeties back on their heels, and get inside the heads of the defense.

       Kosar loved to do that. If I remember correctly, the Bengals did it the last game.

    Starting off running the ball to establish the run to set up play action - won't work I think vs washington. (they will always be the "Redskins" to me.)

         then sometime after that, you start hammering them with the running game. Just my two cents.

    I was just focusing on our Oline vs their Dline.  They looked suspect in the back 7 as well.  One of their top cover corners was out.  He may be back this week but I like your idea and I remember Bernie doing that well.  
     

  • Analysis of Bryant - We could do a lot worse than his 73.1 out of our TE

  • Analysis of Bryant - We could do a lot worse than his 73.1 out of our TE

    @unsympathetic said:

    Analysis of Bryant - We could do a lot worse than his 73.1 out of our TE

    I hear ya. Bryant was an offensive tackle in high school so it's not like he's not used to blocking people.

  • For the caliber of Defensive Line they faced today, I think the line played pretty well again.

  • Things are really looking good - the offensive line is fixed up, playing very well.

    The Browns' oline "engine" is a fast car.

    https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-offensive-line-once-again-earns-top-pff-grades/

  • The overall OL play is a huge pleasant surprise to me.  I was so extremely concerned that it would be our offenses' downfall.  They're playing pretty well and keeping the penalties down.  And the FB has been quite an addition for Stef's offense.  And he's caught a couple of passes so a defense cannot totally ignore the Janovich on a pass play.

  • And Hooper's the most expensive blocking TE in league history.. well, he's good at catching when asked, which isn't as often as you'd think..

  • Yea unfortunately the offense isn’t passing the ball very often in the near future. And that’s ok. We all know what the strength is of the offense 

  • The overall OL play is a huge pleasant surprise to me.  I was so extremely concerned that it would be our offenses' downfall.  They're playing pretty well and keeping the penalties down.  And the FB has been quite an addition for Stef's offense.  And he's caught a couple of passes so a defense cannot totally ignore the Janovich on a pass play.

    @orion said:

    The overall OL play is a huge pleasant surprise to me. 

    Mild surprise here as I knew/believed Wills could do the job, albeit with a full, normal camp and Preseason.

    And I think we all knew/believed Bito, Tretter and Conklin were going to be good.

    That left RG, where Teller has been an unexpected blessing, and cohesive play, which again minus camp and Preseason, is well above at least my expectations.

    I may need to dig up my old grading form... 🙂

  • @orion said:

    The overall OL play is a huge pleasant surprise to me. 

    Mild surprise here as I knew/believed Wills could do the job, albeit with a full, normal camp and Preseason.

    And I think we all knew/believed Bito, Tretter and Conklin were going to be good.

    That left RG, where Teller has been an unexpected blessing, and cohesive play, which again minus camp and Preseason, is well above at least my expectations.

    I may need to dig up my old grading form... 🙂

    @tour2ma said:

    Mild surprise here as I knew/believed Wills could do the job, albeit with a full, normal camp and Preseason.

    And I think we all knew/believed Bito, Tretter and Conklin were going to be good.

    That left RG, where Teller has been an unexpected blessing, and cohesive play, which again minus camp and Preseason, is well above at least my expectations.

    I may need to dig up my old grading form... 🙂

    The impact of Bill Callahan cannot be overstated. Better players and for sure much better coaching.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Mild surprise here as I knew/believed Wills could do the job, albeit with a full, normal camp and Preseason.

    And I think we all knew/believed Bito, Tretter and Conklin were going to be good.

    That left RG, where Teller has been an unexpected blessing, and cohesive play, which again minus camp and Preseason, is well above at least my expectations.

    I may need to dig up my old grading form... 🙂

    The impact of Bill Callahan cannot be overstated. Better players and for sure much better coaching.

    @texasag1969 said:

    The impact of Bill Callahan cannot be overstated. Better players and for sure much better coaching.

    This is probably the big truth.  Much better than that bearded magician that didn't believe in calisthenics that we had a few years ago. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    The impact of Bill Callahan cannot be overstated. Better players and for sure much better coaching.

    This is probably the big truth.  Much better than that bearded magician that didn't believe in calisthenics that we had a few years ago. 

    @orion said:

    This is probably the big truth.  Much better than that bearded magician that didn't believe in calisthenics that we had a few years ago. 

    Or our hugely overweight one that always reminded me of this guy, the skinnier version.?

  • No preseason

    35+ running plays a game

    Wide zone blocking scheme sideline to sideline 

    Chasing Two elite backs 

    An opposing defensive line can be good even great but something has to give eventually.  We did the Ravens a favor maybe they won’t be so lucky next time 
     

  • No preseason

    35+ running plays a game

    Wide zone blocking scheme sideline to sideline 

    Chasing Two elite backs 

    An opposing defensive line can be good even great but something has to give eventually.  We did the Ravens a favor maybe they won’t be so lucky next time 
     

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Wide zone blocking scheme sideline to sideline 

    And effective ZBS to boot...

    It's not a difficult approach conceptually, but the coordination, the virtual "mind-reading", of the OL from OT to OT (or more with TE(S) involved) takes time together to perfect... or so I thought. And while we may not yet be perfect we are already scary good.

    Hats off to Ag for pointing out Callahan's role in this group's development... but our OL is taking it onto the field.

  • @CodySuek

    #Browns One reason for the OFF success thus far is the performance in the red zone: -
    2019 Weeks 1-3 30% success rate
    (30th) 30% run rate
    (29th) 4 TDs, 1 INT -
     
    2020 Weeks 1-3 59% success rate
    (9th) 76% run rate
    (highest) 9 TDs, 0 INT
     
    .

    Bill Callahan, No doubt has been a great addition! Bill's coaching gels well with Stefanski's. Both are coaching up their players to buying into a 'our' system... Get's good teams to above tweet ^^    

    The Stefanski Factor ?

  • Wills was an outstanding draft pick. ROOKIE at LT...

    was severely tested at Washington - wasn't perfect, but did great:

    https://www.brownsnation.com/jedrick-wills-how-he-performed-against-washington-in-week-3/

    Jedrick Wills pancake on that Nick Chubb touchdown run. pic.twitter.com/tUkBXajf4Z

    — Brent Sobleski (@brentsobleski) September 27, 2020