Skip to content

Are You Ready for Some....Tuesday Night Football????

The Browns Board
65 12 1.2k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Indeed.  I was around more or less in those days. (I was in Jr. high when he was in HS).  You went to Ravenna?  What year did you graduate?  One of my good friends and travel companions went to Ravenna.  He would be like 64 now.   Don't know if  you were close. 

    Another friend of mine...older, who played football for Norton played against both Nottingham (Ravenna) and  Larry Csonka (Stow).    He said that Csonka was a cream puff compared to Notthingham. 

    I graduated from Ravenna in '94. My parents are from Kent, my mom graduated from Kent Roosevelt in '72, my dad from the no longer with us Kent State private school in '70. (The college ran a K-12 private school, where the teaching program trained students to be teachers, along with full time teachers). 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @dutch-oven said:

    I graduated from Ravenna in '94. My parents are from Kent, my mom graduated from Kent Roosevelt in '72, my dad from the no longer with us Kent State private school in '70. (The college ran a K-12 private school, where the teaching program trained students to be teachers, along with full time teachers). 

    I remember that school well. And you would be way younger than my friend from Ravenna he’s closer to my age and I graduated high school the same year as your dad apparently.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Did she really? 

    That's funnier than Jethro Tull beating out Metallica for best Heavy Metal album back in the day. 

    Yea.   I mean Jethro Tull is better than Metallica  (IMO),   but, no, not for Heavy Metal Category. 

    And I don't honestly know who "Lorde" is.   But I take it that he/she/it is nowhere near traditional rock n roll? 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #53

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea.   I mean Jethro Tull is better than Metallica  (IMO),   but, no, not for Heavy Metal Category. 

    And I don't honestly know who "Lorde" is.   But I take it that he/she/it is nowhere near traditional rock n roll? 

    Jethro Tull is great, but they are NOT Heavy Metal. Metallica rules!!!  (In my guitar playing days- I could almost do a 1\2 passable version of "Cry you a song"- not the solo though) 

  • These Titans uniforms are beautiful 

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @londonbrown said:

    These Titans uniforms are beautiful 

    I actually love the Bills' unis. 

  • In summary...

    Like I said. in my first post of this thread.. proving.

    Kid is already better than I thought he could be... as in he can now hit the broad side of a barn. Next step? Hitting the narrow side...

    That said, he's still rattleable... under pressure he still goes to the fastball too much and his announcer-touted,improved mechanics go south as well. However, he does show some touch when not pressured. But to remake his mechanics to the extent he has is impressive.

    Accuracy? Better (as I said above 😉 ), but still not great or even very good... again especially if he feels pressure.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #55

    @tour2ma said:

    In summary...

    Like I said. in my first post of this thread.. proving.

    Kid is already better than I thought he could be... as in he can now hit the broad side of a barn. Next step? Hitting the narrow side...

    That said, he's still rattleable... under pressure he still goes to the fastball too much and his announcer-touted,improved mechanics go south as well. However, he does show some touch when not pressured. But to remake his mechanics to the extent he has is impressive.

    Accuracy? Better (as I said above 😉 ), but still not great or even very good... again especially if he feels pressure.

    And compared to how far removed Tanny is from where he was in Miami, great coaching can change everything. Nothing the Bills did rattled him in the least last night and the playcalling from the sidelines was brilliant. I see the same potential in Allen now that I did not see at the combine. All I saw there was a tall & talented runner with an overthrowing arm. He has indeed come a long way, but he was not at the same level as Tanny last night. Tanny reminded me of a more disciplined Farve, but faster on the run. Only one time did a pass get away that he should have eaten or at least thrown out of bounds.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #56

    Last nite was simply not the Bills' nite. Only a 70-yard punt staved off their being beaten in every phase of the game.

    You you posted about Tanne's improvement under Vrabel, I took a quick look at their Offensive Staff. I know nothing of either their OC or QB Position Coach.

    The only names I recognize are Todd Downing (formerly on Raiders' Staff: QB & OC) and Mike Sullivan ( I think, however, I'm remembering a different Mike Sullivan).

    Could be Tanne simply benefited from the change of certainty as happens with players from time to time or better personnel around him or he was finally ready or all three plus a shot of confidence instilled by Vrabel. Have to remember he was chosen over Mariota. Even if Marcus wasn't "the guy" for TN, Tanne was far from a sure-thing upgrade.

    image.thumb.png.a146c7b5f0888218c0c2cc263169a934.png

  • Last nite was simply not the Bills' nite. Only a 70-yard punt staved off their being beaten in every phase of the game.

    You you posted about Tanne's improvement under Vrabel, I took a quick look at their Offensive Staff. I know nothing of either their OC or QB Position Coach.

    The only names I recognize are Todd Downing (formerly on Raiders' Staff: QB & OC) and Mike Sullivan ( I think, however, I'm remembering a different Mike Sullivan).

    Could be Tanne simply benefited from the change of certainty as happens with players from time to time or better personnel around him or he was finally ready or all three plus a shot of confidence instilled by Vrabel. Have to remember he was chosen over Mariota. Even if Marcus wasn't "the guy" for TN, Tanne was far from a sure-thing upgrade.

    image.thumb.png.a146c7b5f0888218c0c2cc263169a934.png

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @tour2ma said:

    Last nite was simply not the Bills' nite. Only a 70-yard punt staved off their being beaten in every phase of the game.

    You you posted about Tanne's improvement under Vrabel, I took a quick look at their Offensive Staff. I know nothing of either their OC or QB Position Coach.

    The only names I recognize are Todd Downing (formerly on Raiders' Staff: QB & OC) and Mike Sullivan ( I think, however, I'm remembering a different Mike Sullivan).

    Could be Tanne simply benefited from the change of certainty as happens with players from time to time or better personnel around him or he was finally ready or all three plus a shot of confidence instilled by Vrabel. Have to remember he was chosen over Mariota. Even if Marcus wasn't "the guy" for TN, Tanne was far from a sure-thing upgrade.

    image.thumb.png.a146c7b5f0888218c0c2cc263169a934.png

    There are some QBs that could have been at least average-good starters who simply have been in the wrong place in the wrong time. Rosen, Darnold come to mind, though maybe Darnold resurges if somehow the Jets stop being a shitstorm. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yea.   I mean Jethro Tull is better than Metallica  (IMO),   but, no, not for Heavy Metal Category. 

    And I don't honestly know who "Lorde" is.   But I take it that he/she/it is nowhere near traditional rock n roll? 

    Jethro Tull is great, but they are NOT Heavy Metal. Metallica rules!!!  (In my guitar playing days- I could almost do a 1\2 passable version of "Cry you a song"- not the solo though) 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @hoorta said:

    Jethro Tull is great, but they are NOT Heavy Metal. Metallica rules!!!  (In my guitar playing days- I could almost do a 1\2 passable version of "Cry you a song"- not the solo though) 

    Yea,  that is what I said.  I will take Jethro Tull every day of the week over  Metallica, but Tull is not Heavy Metal.  Metallica may be at the top of the heap heavy metal wise....(I will let all you metal heads argue that one out),  but they are no way in a similar category. 

    They are categorized as "progressive rock",  but they really seem to be a genre all on their own.

  • Last nite was simply not the Bills' nite. Only a 70-yard punt staved off their being beaten in every phase of the game.

    You you posted about Tanne's improvement under Vrabel, I took a quick look at their Offensive Staff. I know nothing of either their OC or QB Position Coach.

    The only names I recognize are Todd Downing (formerly on Raiders' Staff: QB & OC) and Mike Sullivan ( I think, however, I'm remembering a different Mike Sullivan).

    Could be Tanne simply benefited from the change of certainty as happens with players from time to time or better personnel around him or he was finally ready or all three plus a shot of confidence instilled by Vrabel. Have to remember he was chosen over Mariota. Even if Marcus wasn't "the guy" for TN, Tanne was far from a sure-thing upgrade.

    image.thumb.png.a146c7b5f0888218c0c2cc263169a934.png

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @tour2ma said:

    Could be Tanne simply benefited from the change of certainty as happens with players from time to time or better personnel around him or he was finally ready or all three plus a shot of confidence instilled by Vrabel. Have to remember he was chosen over Mariota. Even if Marcus wasn't "the guy" for TN, Tanne was far from a sure-thing upgrade.

    Also does not hurt to have a big, fast 250 back who physically punishes people and runs through one or two tacklers as if they are bothersome fleas. That sets up the PA passing and bootlegs for run'pass QB options like nobody's business. Every team knows you must gear first to stop the big man or he will kill your defense, especially in the 2nd half when arm tackles are totally useless, but far less harmful than getting mauled head-on. I suspect that part of Otto's success was having that exact same luxury with Jim Brown (except for the QB runs that is).

  • @tour2ma said:

    Last nite was simply not the Bills' nite. Only a 70-yard punt staved off their being beaten in every phase of the game.

    You you posted about Tanne's improvement under Vrabel, I took a quick look at their Offensive Staff. I know nothing of either their OC or QB Position Coach.

    The only names I recognize are Todd Downing (formerly on Raiders' Staff: QB & OC) and Mike Sullivan ( I think, however, I'm remembering a different Mike Sullivan).

    Could be Tanne simply benefited from the change of certainty as happens with players from time to time or better personnel around him or he was finally ready or all three plus a shot of confidence instilled by Vrabel. Have to remember he was chosen over Mariota. Even if Marcus wasn't "the guy" for TN, Tanne was far from a sure-thing upgrade.

    image.thumb.png.a146c7b5f0888218c0c2cc263169a934.png

    There are some QBs that could have been at least average-good starters who simply have been in the wrong place in the wrong time. Rosen, Darnold come to mind, though maybe Darnold resurges if somehow the Jets stop being a shitstorm. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @nero said:

    There are some QBs that could have been at least average-good starters who simply have been in the wrong place in the wrong time. Rosen, Darnold come to mind, though maybe Darnold resurges if somehow the Jets stop being a shitstorm. 

    Are you counting on the Jets ever not being a shitstorm?   

    Nevertheless, I think that their owner will be back in control of the team next year again, though, I am not sure that will help them.

    (OK, trivia question:  why is their owner not in control now, and why will he be back next year?)

  • @tour2ma said:

    Could be Tanne simply benefited from the change of certainty as happens with players from time to time or better personnel around him or he was finally ready or all three plus a shot of confidence instilled by Vrabel. Have to remember he was chosen over Mariota. Even if Marcus wasn't "the guy" for TN, Tanne was far from a sure-thing upgrade.

    Also does not hurt to have a big, fast 250 back who physically punishes people and runs through one or two tacklers as if they are bothersome fleas. That sets up the PA passing and bootlegs for run'pass QB options like nobody's business. Every team knows you must gear first to stop the big man or he will kill your defense, especially in the 2nd half when arm tackles are totally useless, but far less harmful than getting mauled head-on. I suspect that part of Otto's success was having that exact same luxury with Jim Brown (except for the QB runs that is).

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #61

    @texasag1969 said:

    Also does not hurt to have a big, fast 250 back who physically punishes people and runs through one or two tacklers as if they are bothersome fleas. That sets up the PA passing and bootlegs for run'pass QB options like nobody's business. Every team knows you must gear first to stop the big man or he will kill your defense, especially in the 2nd half when arm tackles are totally useless, but far less harmful than getting mauled head-on. I suspect that part of Otto's success was having that exact same luxury with Jim Brown (except for the QB runs that is).

    Please quit drooling.

    Fry Drooling (Futurama) | Reaction GIFs

    And FYI.....Otto Graham NEVER played with Jim Brown.  Otto retired in 1955.  Jim Brown was not drafted until 1957.    DOH!!

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Also does not hurt to have a big, fast 250 back who physically punishes people and runs through one or two tacklers as if they are bothersome fleas. That sets up the PA passing and bootlegs for run'pass QB options like nobody's business. Every team knows you must gear first to stop the big man or he will kill your defense, especially in the 2nd half when arm tackles are totally useless, but far less harmful than getting mauled head-on. I suspect that part of Otto's success was having that exact same luxury with Jim Brown (except for the QB runs that is).

    Please quit drooling.

    Fry Drooling (Futurama) | Reaction GIFs

    And FYI.....Otto Graham NEVER played with Jim Brown.  Otto retired in 1955.  Jim Brown was not drafted until 1957.    DOH!!

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @the-gipper said:

    Please quit drooling.

    Fry Drooling (Futurama) | Reaction GIFs

    And FYI.....Otto Graham NEVER played with Jim Brown.  Otto retired in 1955.  Jim Brown was not drafted until 1957.    DOH!!

    Ah, thanks for the info. I was out of the country during Jim Brown's heyday. But I did see him in The Dirty Dozen.?

  • @tour2ma said:

    Could be Tanne simply benefited from the change of certainty as happens with players from time to time or better personnel around him or he was finally ready or all three plus a shot of confidence instilled by Vrabel. Have to remember he was chosen over Mariota. Even if Marcus wasn't "the guy" for TN, Tanne was far from a sure-thing upgrade.

    Also does not hurt to have a big, fast 250 back who physically punishes people and runs through one or two tacklers as if they are bothersome fleas. That sets up the PA passing and bootlegs for run'pass QB options like nobody's business. Every team knows you must gear first to stop the big man or he will kill your defense, especially in the 2nd half when arm tackles are totally useless, but far less harmful than getting mauled head-on. I suspect that part of Otto's success was having that exact same luxury with Jim Brown (except for the QB runs that is).

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @texasag1969 said:

    Also does not hurt to have a big, fast 250 back who physically punishes people and runs through one or two tacklers as if they are bothersome fleas.

    He has one of those?

  • @nero said:

    Since Lorde got the best rock song award with 'Royals' you can expect anything... 

    Did she really? 

    That's funnier than Jethro Tull beating out Metallica for best Heavy Metal album back in the day. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @dutch-oven said:

    That's funnier than Jethro Tull beating out Metallica for best Heavy Metal album back in the day. 

    Not sure this will right that wrong... 😳

    Nothing else matters: Miley Cyrus is making a Metallica tribute album

    Rosy Cordero  9 hrs ago

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/nothing-else-matters-miley-cyrus-is-making-a-metallica-tribute-album/ar-BB1adMRh?ocid=msedgntp

  • @the-gipper said:

    Please quit drooling.

    Fry Drooling (Futurama) | Reaction GIFs

    And FYI.....Otto Graham NEVER played with Jim Brown.  Otto retired in 1955.  Jim Brown was not drafted until 1957.    DOH!!

    Ah, thanks for the info. I was out of the country during Jim Brown's heyday. But I did see him in The Dirty Dozen.?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @texasag1969 said:

    Ah, thanks for the info. I was out of the country during Jim Brown's heyday. But I did see him in The Dirty Dozen.?

    He wasn't really that good in the Dirty Dozen or 100 Rifles or any movie he was in.

    He was great as a Cleveland Brown winning the running title 8 of his 9 seasons...... better than running and dropping grenades.