Skip to content

Stef: "Own it... Learn from it... Move past it."

The Browns Board
28 15 614
  • @tiamat63 said:

    The double move that Ward ate for lunch still haunts me.      You're a deep 1/3 with help underneath and you got too greedy, my guy.     Huge no-no by any DB.

    So, the worst part about this is that I called it right before it happened. I said, "Alright Dad, watch what good teams do when they're clicking. They get into plus territory and they always take a shot on 1st down because they aren't worried about 2nd and 10 and they could have a chance for a huge play." 

    Double move, TD. I'm not saying I'm a football genius, I'm obviously not. This is successful football one on one. The truly hysterical thing is that we tried to do this with atrocious consequences. Remember those two first half possessions when we got to their 40 yard line and didn't get any points? Yeah...not good. On at least one of them, we dialed up a deep shot on first down. I don't remember exactly what happened, but it obviously disastrous. Why? Because Steelers knew it was coming. I knew it was coming. You knew it was coming. The lizard on my window knew it was coming. 

    You have to have the feel for the game. Coach admitted he didn't do a great job, and he was right. He's a rookie, I expect this. I still think we have our coach for a very long time. When we get into plus territory against the Steelers, it's time to focus on first downs until you get to the 25 or 30. That way you're in FG range, you'll have a shot for points, and you may even go for it, but you can't waste a play on a deep shot that everyone knows is coming. It felt desperate, telegraphed, and both times we stalled or went backwards because we couldn't get enough yards on first down. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    So, the worst part about this is that I called it right before it happened. I said, "Alright Dad, watch what good teams do when they're clicking. They get into plus territory and they always take a shot on 1st down because they aren't worried about 2nd and 10 and they could have a chance for a huge play." 

    Double move, TD. I'm not saying I'm a football genius, I'm obviously not. This is successful football one on one. The truly hysterical thing is that we tried to do this with atrocious consequences. Remember those two first half possessions when we got to their 40 yard line and didn't get any points? Yeah...not good. On at least one of them, we dialed up a deep shot on first down. I don't remember exactly what happened, but it obviously disastrous. Why? Because Steelers knew it was coming. I knew it was coming. You knew it was coming. The lizard on my window knew it was coming. 

    You have to have the feel for the game. Coach admitted he didn't do a great job, and he was right. He's a rookie, I expect this. I still think we have our coach for a very long time. When we get into plus territory against the Steelers, it's time to focus on first downs until you get to the 25 or 30. That way you're in FG range, you'll have a shot for points, and you may even go for it, but you can't waste a play on a deep shot that everyone knows is coming. It felt desperate, telegraphed, and both times we stalled or went backwards because we couldn't get enough yards on first down. 

    The Double move was more of a response from the Steelers to the Browns being aggressive with their coverage.  We watched tape and the Steelers feast on slants, screens and quick stuff.  We jumped one early and dropped an INT and deflected another.  Missed opportunities.

    Of course The Steelers correctly made an adjustment and we stayed the course.

    Right now, we are an easy gameplan for opposing offensive coordinators.  I would make our corners tackle we give the quick stuff up too easily and I think we are compromised at that position with tackling.  I take a shot downfield (double Garrett) at least once a quarter with a route scheme where Sendejo has make a decision on coverage and then react and get back.  I send my TEs on crossers and backs on swing passes and force our LBs to be athletes.  When I run I run away from Garrett. If I run at him it’s with delayed handoffs where he frequently gets upfield too much. 

  •  "Own it... Learn from it... Move past it."

    Well, that's a helluvalot better than, "If you don't wear brown and orange, you don't matter."

  • I (fortunately) wasn't able to watch this one, but I'm glad coach said it this way. Got smoked by a top 3 team, no doubt about it. But at the same time, that's what happens to growing teams who are learning to play with the big dogs of the NFL. Who knows how the rest of the year will play out, but all I know is we have a great shot to be 5-2 after Sunday, and have three winnable games after that as well. Even assuming we drop one of those, 7-3 with two of those losses being the Ravens and Steelers is damn fine to me.

    Still plenty of time to get them game two, both at home. I'm sure as shit happy to be on this ride compared to previous years.

  • Since it's kind of a HC thread...

    Just wanted to alert the McCarthyites that he's not playing all that well in Big D...

    McCarthy wants Cowboys to 'handle things as men,' not complain to media

    Jack Browne  13 hrs ago

    The Dallas Cowboys were blown out by the Arizona Cardinals in prime time on Monday, and the loss seemingly sparked a revolt.

    Anonymous Cowboys players called out the coaching staff for its lack of preparation and in-game adjustments. Head coach Mike McCarthy responded to the news Tuesday, saying he wishes his players would bring their issues to him rather than the media.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mccarthy-wants-cowboys-to-handle-things-as-men-not-complain-to-media/ar-BB1aeIkN?ocid=msedgdhp

    =================================================================================================================================

    In my work experience you approach superiors who seem to be approachable.

    Others... not so much.

    Had one where the message was clear to all subordinates... Honesty is not the best policy.

    Fortunately had many more who were approachable as could be... some others did not find approachable, but I did. Sometimes it's in "the approach".

    image.png

  •  "Own it... Learn from it... Move past it."

    Well, that's a helluvalot better than, "If you don't wear brown and orange, you don't matter."

    @orion said:

     "Own it... Learn from it... Move past it."

    Well, that's a helluvalot better than, "If you don't wear brown and orange, you don't matter."

    And what else should you do ?  Wallow in it for weeks ?   

    Next. Focus on going to 5-2.

  • Since it's kind of a HC thread...

    Just wanted to alert the McCarthyites that he's not playing all that well in Big D...

    McCarthy wants Cowboys to 'handle things as men,' not complain to media

    Jack Browne  13 hrs ago

    The Dallas Cowboys were blown out by the Arizona Cardinals in prime time on Monday, and the loss seemingly sparked a revolt.

    Anonymous Cowboys players called out the coaching staff for its lack of preparation and in-game adjustments. Head coach Mike McCarthy responded to the news Tuesday, saying he wishes his players would bring their issues to him rather than the media.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mccarthy-wants-cowboys-to-handle-things-as-men-not-complain-to-media/ar-BB1aeIkN?ocid=msedgdhp

    =================================================================================================================================

    In my work experience you approach superiors who seem to be approachable.

    Others... not so much.

    Had one where the message was clear to all subordinates... Honesty is not the best policy.

    Fortunately had many more who were approachable as could be... some others did not find approachable, but I did. Sometimes it's in "the approach".

    image.png

    @tour2ma said:

    In my work experience you approach superiors who seem to be approachable.

    To build on that.. I'd bet money that multiple Dallas players went to the coaching staff already, both 1:1 and during position group meetings... and were in every case told to s2 - sit down and shut up.

    The players didn't feel their issues were acknowledged and addressed.. and what has happened is an expected result of McCarthy's inconsiderate "style". 

    I'm glad he's not in Cleveland right now.. Stef's not perfect, but better than McCarthy.

  • @tour2ma said:

    In my work experience you approach superiors who seem to be approachable.

    To build on that.. I'd bet money that multiple Dallas players went to the coaching staff already, both 1:1 and during position group meetings... and were in every case told to s2 - sit down and shut up.

    The players didn't feel their issues were acknowledged and addressed.. and what has happened is an expected result of McCarthy's inconsiderate "style". 

    I'm glad he's not in Cleveland right now.. Stef's not perfect, but better than McCarthy.

    @unsympathetic said:

    To build on that.. I'd bet money that multiple Dallas players went to the coaching staff already, both 1:1 and during position group meetings... and were in every case told to s2 - sit down and shut up.

    The players didn't feel their issues were acknowledged and addressed.. and what has happened is an expected result of McCarthy's inconsiderate "style". 

    I'm glad he's not in Cleveland right now.. Stef's not perfect, but better than McCarthy.

    Hmmmm...two years two coaching regimes and the players pointing fingers at the coaches each year.   
     

    Maybe it is time some of the players look in the mirror.

  • The relevant leadership quote from Andy Stanley -- Leaders who don't listen eventually find themselves surrounded by people with nothing to say.

    Also, regarding the need to create a clear offensive structure and call plays accordingly -- Organizations don't rise to the level of their goals, they fall to the level of their systems.

  • @orion said:

     "Own it... Learn from it... Move past it."

    Well, that's a helluvalot better than, "If you don't wear brown and orange, you don't matter."

    And what else should you do ?  Wallow in it for weeks ?   

    Next. Focus on going to 5-2.

    @mjp28 said:

    And what else should you do ?  Wallow in it for weeks ?   

    Next. Focus on going to 5-2.

    Right.  After you own it and learn from it, you move past it.  

    According to Donte Whitner on the Bull & Fox show today, Baker's got stuff to learn from that game though.   He said that Baker's not understanding what the D is actually doing.  He's going to the wrong place with the ball and that he should be identifying who's got single coverage and go THERE with the ball. 

  • The relevant leadership quote from Andy Stanley -- Leaders who don't listen eventually find themselves surrounded by people with nothing to say.

    Also, regarding the need to create a clear offensive structure and call plays accordingly -- Organizations don't rise to the level of their goals, they fall to the level of their systems.

    @unsympathetic said:

    The relevant leadership quote from Andy Stanley -- Leaders who don't listen eventually find themselves surrounded by people with nothing to say.

    Also, regarding the need to create a clear offensive structure and call plays accordingly -- Organizations don't rise to the level of their goals, they fall to the level of their systems.

    I have a better saying. Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by parrots who reflect back everything you say and nothing more.

  • Those reactions are what 95 percent of coaches give you.  No need to interview coaches or players.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    The relevant leadership quote from Andy Stanley -- Leaders who don't listen eventually find themselves surrounded by people with nothing to say.

    Also, regarding the need to create a clear offensive structure and call plays accordingly -- Organizations don't rise to the level of their goals, they fall to the level of their systems.

    I have a better saying. Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by parrots who reflect back everything you say and nothing more.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I have a better saying. Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by parrots who reflect back everything you say and nothing more.

    It's interesting that you changed from the third person to the second person in that sentence... Very interesting.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I have a better saying. Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by parrots who reflect back everything you say and nothing more.

    It's interesting that you changed from the third person to the second person in that sentence... Very interesting.

    @nero said:

    It's interesting that you changed from the third person to the second person in that sentence... Very interesting.

    Well I could not add politics to it though.   LOL!?