First depth chart out
-
The Browns released an unofficial depth chart Tuesday in advance of Saturday's preseason opener in Green Bay, and Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn are listed as co-starters as quarterback.
That's no surprise based on what's happened in camp thus far, and head coach Eric Mangini said the designation was made only because the team had to submit a depth chart for the game. He said he'll wait until later in the week to name a starter for this week and will probably give the starting nod to the quarterback who doesn't start this week for the Aug. 21 game against the Lions.
"Nothing's changed with the quarterbacks," Mangini said. "We had to submit a depth chart. I'll tell those guys before the game who will start, but I want to see how rest of this week goes.
"Whoever starts, the other guy is going to play and we'll probably flip it the next week. (Their work) will be equal in both games. I wanna see what both of them can do with live bullets."
Posting this everytime that stupid picture is posted so Retards can see that DA isn't #1.
Retards
-
I form an opinion after seeing things unfold but just because I don't agree with your obvious superior football knowledge I'm a Retard???
Go screw yourself son....
And Shep, the QB who started the 1st game of last season also started with the 1st unit on the most significant scrimmage so far this training camp... To me this shows at least a sliver of "hold" on the QB position... Just my opinion, sorry for the blubbering.............
Peace
T.Dawg
-
Just to add a little more fuel to the fire: the aug 9 Steve King OBR
"He did a good job of leading today, getting us all in the right place. He's the captian of the ship"
Josh Cribbs on Brady Quinn...
Peace
T.Dawg
-
I dislike the co-starter thing, for either or both of the following reasons:
1. It means that neither QB has taken control of the team. And I'm not just talking about drills; if one guy clearly has the ear of his teammates more than the other--which presumably the coaches would pick up on--he would be the starter. I don't think this is a "playing possum" thing, as there is absolutely nothing to gain from doing so. The differences between the two QBs aren't so great that the team will go 4-0 before anyone figures out that they need to cover receivers.
2. It suggests that the coaches aren't sure who should be the starter. For God's sake, make a decision, even if it's the wrong one. It's not like anyone is seriously expecting this to be a playoff team, and switching QBs is really easy to do. Look at two years ago: Charlie Frye was clearly the wrong choice, and it took all of a half to get in the right guy. If the starter can't hit the broad side of a barn in the first couple of weeks, then make a switch. Or if it's Quinn, commit to making the switch after another two years so that he'll have adequate time to bring himself up to NFL speed.
Also, kind of surprising not to see more posts complaining about how the current depth chart shows Mangini's reluctance to play young guys or his having too much faith in guys he brought over from his old team. Granted, the Jets were juggernauts, but still.
Dennis
-
The QB has probably already been chosen, however they are keeping it underwraps to try where as not to devalue the other guys trade potential. Once that guy is named backup, he is toast value wise.
-
How can you say that this is the first year that BQ has had a chance to play with the ones in preseason? He got to play with the ones for at least two weeks and started two preson games last year. This is not thew first camp that BQ has been given a shot, though I will admit last years shot was due to injury it was still a shot.
BQ has not stepped up to the plate so far and neither has DA. This bothers me. If DA sucks so freaking bad then why can't BQ out play him more than marginally? And I remember one post where they said BQ was smart enough to give his defense the hand signals for DAs side. Well if that is true then why could DA complete as high a percentage of passes to his receivers as BQ could against the second team defense? I know DA had the starters but all I read on here is how great the receivers are playing this year, so how could it be that the inaccurate DA complete basically the same percentage of passes to his receivers when the defense knew what was coming as the obvioulsy much more accurate (49% career) BQ did against the second team defense?
I know it is only practice but how can somebody of BQs work ethic and intelligence not be out performing a stupid (wonderlick remember), Lazy (plays golf remember) oaf like DA? How is that possible? It is a offense that many have said is built for him, yet he can not step up. I really am just having a hard time understanding why anybody would be in the BQ camp at this point, and to be honest I am having a hard time understanding why you would be in the DA camp also.
I am in the let the coaches choose the QB and hope for the best camp. I went to Oregon State and I really want to see DA step up, but he isn't. BQ has not stepped up either. So I am going to have to go to the which ever one is chosen camp. I know it is early, but I have at least read enough that says neither QB seems to be on the I am going to have a great season track.
Hope I am wrong and which ever QB is chosen plays great.
-
The only depth chart that matters is the one Mangini uses to determine who starts the season.
At this point...whooptie-do.
-
Zombo said:
And? Do you think he's going to need a 4th?Eric Mangini.
All I'm saying is that he has two exhibition games to separate himself and be the starter for all-importnat dress rehersal 3rd game.
This is his time. Crunch time. These next two games will shape his career in a big way.
Good luck to him.
Zombo
No, but just correcting an earlier statement where someone said he has been there for 3 years.
I don't know about you, but I don't believe a thing Mangini says to the media. You just hit on the real key and what I am waiting for, preseason games. Right now everyone is making judgements based on practice. Practice field is not the only place depth chart is determined.
-
How can you say that this is the first year that BQ has had a chance to play with the ones in preseason? He got to play with the ones for at least two weeks and started two preson games last year. This is not thew first camp that BQ has been given a shot, though I will admit last years shot was due to injury it was still a shot.
BQ has not stepped up to the plate so far and neither has DA. This bothers me. If DA sucks so freaking bad then why can't BQ out play him more than marginally? And I remember one post where they said BQ was smart enough to give his defense the hand signals for DAs side. Well if that is true then why could DA complete as high a percentage of passes to his receivers as BQ could against the second team defense? I know DA had the starters but all I read on here is how great the receivers are playing this year, so how could it be that the inaccurate DA complete basically the same percentage of passes to his receivers when the defense knew what was coming as the obvioulsy much more accurate (49% career) BQ did against the second team defense?
I know it is only practice but how can somebody of BQs work ethic and intelligence not be out performing a stupid (wonderlick remember), Lazy (plays golf remember) oaf like DA? How is that possible? It is a offense that many have said is built for him, yet he can not step up. I really am just having a hard time understanding why anybody would be in the BQ camp at this point, and to be honest I am having a hard time understanding why you would be in the DA camp also.
I am in the let the coaches choose the QB and hope for the best camp. I went to Oregon State and I really want to see DA step up, but he isn't. BQ has not stepped up either. So I am going to have to go to the which ever one is chosen camp. I know it is early, but I have at least read enough that says neither QB seems to be on the I am going to have a great season track.
Hope I am wrong and which ever QB is chosen plays great.
How can you say that this is the first year that BQ has had a chance to play with the ones in preseason? He got to play with the ones for at least two weeks and started two preson games last year. This is not thew first camp that BQ has been given a shot, though I will admit last years shot was due to injury it was still a shot.
BQ has not stepped up to the plate so far and neither has DA. This bothers me. If DA sucks so freaking bad then why can't BQ out play him more than marginally? And I remember one post where they said BQ was smart enough to give his defense the hand signals for DAs side. Well if that is true then why could DA complete as high a percentage of passes to his receivers as BQ could against the second team defense? I know DA had the starters but all I read on here is how great the receivers are playing this year, so how could it be that the inaccurate DA complete basically the same percentage of passes to his receivers when the defense knew what was coming as the obvioulsy much more accurate (49% career) BQ did against the second team defense?
I know it is only practice but how can somebody of BQs work ethic and intelligence not be out performing a stupid (wonderlick remember), Lazy (plays golf remember) oaf like DA? How is that possible? It is a offense that many have said is built for him, yet he can not step up. I really am just having a hard time understanding why anybody would be in the BQ camp at this point, and to be honest I am having a hard time understanding why you would be in the DA camp also.
I am in the let the coaches choose the QB and hope for the best camp. I went to Oregon State and I really want to see DA step up, but he isn't. BQ has not stepped up either. So I am going to have to go to the which ever one is chosen camp. I know it is early, but I have at least read enough that says neither QB seems to be on the I am going to have a great season track.
Hope I am wrong and which ever QB is chosen plays great.
I agree with you in that I will back whichever QB is chosen out of camp. That is my job as a Browns fan, to support the team that is put on the field regardless of whether or not I agree or like it! But for you to say that Quinn had a shot last year is totally insane! RAC came right out before camp even began and stated that DA was the starter, and rightfully so after the 2007 season. Brady was annointed the backup before taking even a single snap in camp. Yes, he did get some reps and preseason starts with the first team. As any backup would! Would you want the backup to come in and never have been on the filed with his offense? Then, when DA sucked royally during the season, RAC still wouldn't yank him! He was too committed to "his guy" to admit that, maybe, "his guy" wasn't all that great! Brady Quinn deserves a shot this year. I personally feel that he deserves a shot as the starter and should have already been named as the starter. Then he would be able to play with a little more confidence rather than having to worry if he will be the starter or if he'll be holding a clipboard. DA's ceiling was reached and then collapsed almost immediately. He took this team to the highest he is capable! Let's see what the kid can do, so that we can move forward as a team and as an organization whether Quinn is or is not the franchise QB for this team!
-
@jadbf said:
Exactly. Did you also notice he said about the whole depth chart. "I really didn't put a whole lot of thought into this"Folks you've seen Mangini's press conferences, some of you have see the way practices are run. Do you really belive he doesn't put a ton of thought into EVERY SINGLE DECISION he makes about this team?
The team was required to provide a depth chart. Yesterday Mangini said the PR staff put it together and he just took a quick look at it. Preseason games will produce the only depth chart that counts. He said one QB will start the first game and one the second game. He'll decide that later this week.
Same with the right side of the line. Same with the 3 corners. Same with the WRs. Same with the OLBs.
You can only see so much playing tag football in practice. The games will do the separation. You can tag a guy but can you tackle him? You can hit a WR for a TD with no rush, but what about game speed, can you make the proper reads then?
The depth chart will be determined after they see how these guys perform at game speed and when there is real hitting.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login