CRIBSS LOOKING GOOD AT WR
-
@shepwrite said:
I see it this way:LOCKS: Edwards, M2, Robo, Cribbs, and Furrey
That's five, which is how many most teams carry on game day, with one guy inactive. There's one more roster spot between Hubbard, Leggett, Norwood, and Patten.
None of those guys is likely to crack the top four, so I'd keep the developmental guy (Leggett seems in the lead right now) and keep Patten on speed dial. Like teams have Edge James right now.
Leggett sounds like he can make the practice squad. I think the ONLY way Hubbard makes this team is if he proves he's BETTER than MoMass and Robo or 1 of them gets injured. Patten's age and frequency of injuries the last couple years makes him a long shot.
I see this group:
Edwards
MoMass
Robo
Cribbs
Norwood
Furrey
I guess the drawback to that list is there's 3 guys without 1 NFL game under their belt. In fairness to our brass, they weren't counting on Stallworth getting in trouble the day he cashed his signing bonus.
- Tom F.
-
Reports are saying that Cribbs has really "gotten it" now at the receiver spot. He's looking comfortable and catching everything.
I like hearing he's catching everything except Loverboy's crabs. We need that guy in the open fields with mismatches in coverage. You want to sting a zone blitz? I can't think of a better guy.
When Pitt's sneaking Polly up near the line of scrimmage- I am so looking forward to the day we can zip a pass in the vacated zone to Cribbs. I think he CAN be a great WR if he gets consistent reps.
I think Furrey's experience has us comfortable with him taking the Slot job. That said, my gut tells me Cribbs could be even BETTER if we ever wanted to increase his role. Again, my rationale is all about getting him in open fields with mismatches as much as we can.
- Tom F.
I like hearing he's catching everything except Loverboy's crabs. We need that guy in the open fields with mismatches in coverage. You want to sting a zone blitz? I can't think of a better guy.
When Pitt's sneaking Polly up near the line of scrimmage- I am so looking forward to the day we can zip a pass in the vacated zone to Cribbs. I think he CAN be a great WR if he gets consistent reps.
- Tom F.
It's amazing that we have a cast of misfits wr's to put it nicely and they are outperforming the rest of team.
Edwards
Robiskie
Mass
Furrey
Patten
Legget,Norwood,Hubbard and the rest fight it out. Cribbs is on ST so he doesn't count. I like Patten but he could slip out also.
-
Let's hope this is for real.
If so, then Cribbs has to figure in to the 4-WR set. Then he becomes an absolute nightmare for the defenses as a hot read on a zone blitz or catching the ball in space on a crossing route. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.
As a Buckeye fan, I was so spoiled watching Ginn. I would be disappointed whenever Teddy didn't do something spectacular because you came to expect it. Face it, Cribbs is that guy for this team. Every time he touches it, you just feel good about something exciting happening. He's the anti-Metcalf-up-the-middle.
-
I'll say it - I want Cribbs no worse than the #3 WR if he is good enough, depending on who we play. I want the guy on the field. If he can catch and run the routes, play him. He can see a lot of snaps this year - well, I hope he does. Everytime he has the ball it's like he was shot out of a cannon.
-
Cribbs wants a new contract. thats what he is after????
-
Found this at the bottom of the Sean Smith article on cleveland.com:
"The Browns signed free-agent first-year receiver Edward Williams and waived injured receiver Syndric Steptoe, who suffered a torn labrum in practice Saturday. "
Per USAtoday.com Salary tables:
http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...es/default.aspx
2008 Browns $ 295,000 $ 0 $ 5,520 $ 300,520 $ 300,520 WR
This is all I could find on his contract situation:
Feb 28, 2008: Re-signed by the Cleveland Browns to a future contract.
Sep 3, 2007: Signed by the Cleveland Browns to the practice squad.
Sep 1, 2007: Released by the Cleveland Browns.
Jul 22, 2007: Signed by the Cleveland Browns to a four-year contract.
Apr 29, 2007: Drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the 7th round (234th Overall) in 2007.
So he was just resigned in Feb...but....Injury in training camp = waived
-
Thanks for being insulting.
The point of the post is that in the NFL there is no guaranteed contracts. There are people who bash Cribbs for wanting a new deal, telling him to just shut up and play cause he signed a 6-year deal in '06. If he's hurt in camp this year, he can be cut and that pro bowl season he contributed, along with all the other great seasons he's had, would have amounted to squat. The current regime needs to pay the man more than 645k this year, he's one of the top two or three returners in the league.
-
-
I think most of us agree cribbs is worth more than he is making but he has a binding contract never the less...a fair compromise would be for mankok to either add an injury clause similar to what david vulkuine recieved as a precaution to being injuried and or offer a better incentives package cribbs is a tough guy and a spirited talented player and at a mere 645k a year theres no way the browns cut him under any circumstance...
I believe cribbs when he says lerner over the phone said he would make it right josh has no reason to make that up...
-
I don't know. If he blows out his shoulder or knee to the point that he's definitely out for the whole season, who says the current staff wants to pay him the whole year while on IR and then hope he comes back 100% next year. Football is a business and when you can get Jerome Harrison to field kicks, or one of the other, much cheaper, rookies to do the job, who says they don't cut him?
-db
-
I don't know. If he blows out his shoulder or knee to the point that he's definitely out for the whole season, who says the current staff wants to pay him the whole year while on IR and then hope he comes back 100% next year. Football is a business and when you can get Jerome Harrison to field kicks, or one of the other, much cheaper, rookies to do the job, who says they don't cut him?
-db
I don't know. If he blows out his shoulder or knee to the point that he's definitely out for the whole season, who says the current staff wants to pay him the whole year while on IR and then hope he comes back 100% next year. Football is a business and when you can get Jerome Harrison to field kicks, or one of the other, much cheaper, rookies to do the job, who says they don't cut him?
-db
Pay him that whopping 700K for the year? So they'll keep Robair Smith who is coming off a severe knee injury and making a ass ton more, but would theoretically cut Cribbs.... Then throw in using an unproven returner in one of the most critical aspects of the game, special teams. I am sorry, but that logic train isn't staying on the tracks at all. Not for CLE or any NFL team.
Overpaid or non-producing players get waived after an injury, not underpaid and over-producing players.
-
-
From today's practice:
TheOBR said:
With Edwards on the sideline Josh Cribbs getting reps in his place and performing well -
I keep reading that Cribbs is motivated by playing for a new contract. While it is a well known fact that he WANTS a new contract, this young man is NOT (imho) motivated solely by money. He plays 100% EVERY game because he has what EVERY player needs...PRIDE...& lots of it! He has made & will make mistakes, but they won't be due to lack of effort.
If you're a Browns fan, you just have to be pulling for Cribbs.
Mike
-
Cribbs is simply growing and going through the maturation process that athletes like him go through. This was a wishbone style QB coming out of a small MAC school, that's a real far cry from becoming adept at a position like NFL WR with halfass reps under RAC 'n ROLLS.
People forget he struggled catching kicks when he first got here, but over time worked at it and now he is pretty much flawless at it. I always felt he could catch, it was becoming more fluent in his route running and being prepared when the ball gets there that he needed to improve on.
From what I saw at camp and from reports, he is completely focused and professional at his job. Certainly the contract status can't hurt his concentration level, but I prefer to think it's because of the kind of guy he is more than anything else.
Also, Cribbs is a core player and would never be released from an injury, that's crazy speak. First of all, it would rank right up there with cutting Berns from a PR perspective, but the fact he is a stud football player would probably hold more credence.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

