Skip to content

Browns shut down facility due to Covid

The Browns Board
50 20 1.4k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Why would you think that?

    I’m thinking that many players, being young and less likely to properly quarantine, would be more likely to have already have antibodies for Covid. Especially since there was about 4-5 months of pandemic before the season started.

    Just a guess. It would be better for a key player like a QB to have antibodies before the season started.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I’m thinking that many players, being young and less likely to properly quarantine, would be more likely to have already have antibodies for Covid. Especially since there was about 4-5 months of pandemic before the season started.

    Just a guess. It would be better for a key player like a QB to have antibodies before the season started.

    I don’t think the science follows that concept 

  • @flugel said:

    Just makes sense considering they usually play Michigan, MSU and Purdue anyway. Do they play Penn State every year too?  While we're at it, Indiana (in the same state as ND) is off to one of the best starts they've had.  This could have been a fun season to have ND in the division.

    Notre Dame is a national brand that recruits across the country, and in their mind joining a conference would limit their ability to recruit nationally. 

    As an Irish fan, I've always loved the idea of them joining the Big Ten, but I kind of get their point. 

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @dutch-oven said:

    Notre Dame is a national brand that recruits across the country, and in their mind joining a conference would limit their ability to recruit nationally. 

    Which is why I always hated them. They had an exclusive singular contract with NBC I believe it was, that gave them an unfair recruiting advantage. Their Head coach of the week could walk into any kid's living room and guarantee him the opportunity to play on national tv each and every week, giving him a leg up towards the NFL..

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why would you think that?

    I’m thinking that many players, being young and less likely to properly quarantine, would be more likely to have already have antibodies for Covid. Especially since there was about 4-5 months of pandemic before the season started.

    Just a guess. It would be better for a key player like a QB to have antibodies before the season started.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I’m thinking that many players, being young and less likely to properly quarantine, would be more likely to have already have antibodies for Covid. Especially since there was about 4-5 months of pandemic before the season started.

    Just a guess. It would be better for a key player like a QB to have antibodies before the season started.

    I see what you're saying but that could be a double edge sword.  Like you said they're less likely to properly quarantine; so the danger is to their older family members if they are just a carrier with no symptoms.  That doesn't always help a grandma and grandpa or an aunt or uncle.  And then, if one doesn't have any symptoms and they go to a WH ceremony where people are so close together they're practically playing Twister - guess what happens?   Super spread.

    Some of these college programs like Wisconsin and some others have had up to 14-15 players infected in the same week. The GOOD thing is only a small percentage gets really sick in that age group.

    Right now hospitalizations due to the Corona Virus all over the country are hitting very dangerous volumes.  And people without symptoms aren't the ones I'm talking about here. How many of these are people that were infected by younger people WITHOUT symptoms?  That's where this gets dangerous.  It becomes a mentality of "I'm not gonna get sick at my age so why do I have to wear a mask?"   That's when you say "a big part of the reason for wearing a mask is to protect others around you that could get VERY sick from your germs even if you're just a carrier."   

    Anyway, I'm very pleasantly surprised the NFL is halfway through the season - and we're having some fun this year as Browns fans!

  • AxeA Axe

    @dutch-oven said:

    Notre Dame is a national brand that recruits across the country, and in their mind joining a conference would limit their ability to recruit nationally. 

    Which is why I always hated them. They had an exclusive singular contract with NBC I believe it was, that gave them an unfair recruiting advantage. Their Head coach of the week could walk into any kid's living room and guarantee him the opportunity to play on national tv each and every week, giving him a leg up towards the NFL..

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #18

    @axe said:

    Which is why I always hated them. They had an exclusive singular contract with NBC I believe it was, that gave them an unfair recruiting advantage. Their Head coach of the week could walk into any kid's living room and guarantee him the opportunity to play on national tv each and every week, giving him a leg up towards the NFL..

    At 1 time, that probably was a big advantage.  It's been a long time since that was a program that consistently dominated; because they also had academic requirements that a Les Miles LSU program and others around the country did not have to uphold. That was an anchor. 1 kid that played for Les Miles only got his name right on the Wunderlic Test.  Vanderbilt always had academic standards and requirements which is why they always got rathoused.  As soon as UT increased their Academic requirements for athletes - they pretty much flat-lined to the extent Vandy even started to beat them.  Why all that?   When Lou Holtz got to ND - he tried to get at least 1 or 2 exceptions to their academic requirement/standard at the QB position if my memory is correct.  That later helped them win a National Championship.  I'm not sure where they are today with all that - but it's nice to see that program succeeding again.

    Now, I'll give you the best example I can think of.  When Howard Schnellenberger gave CPR to the University of Miami Hurricanes football program - they didn't get held hostage to an academic requirement/standard.  They started to win consistently and got their 1st National Championship with Bernie Kosar at QB.  Their 1st 2 starting QBs that helped transcend the program were Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar.  I think Vinny deserves some credit too because while he had more talent on both sides of the ball supporting him - he was good enough to make the decision to start Bernie a last second decision from Howard S.  That was back when the QB had to be good enough to carry/drive the team - they couldn't be a passenger and win like some of the QBs after them could be.  When Vinny Testaverde took over - the team around the QB on both sides of the ball was so more talented and better recruited. That said, Vinny was pretty freakin good except against Penn State.  Eventually lesser talented QBs like Steve Walsh, Craig Erickson and Gino Torretta could win being passengers - although they put up some good numbers (and Torretta actually won a Heisman).  The Miami Hurricanes ended up competing for more National Championships than Notre Dame did from the early 80s on without the Network contract ND had.  With the exception of Kelly (from PA), Kosar (from OH) and Testaverde (from Long Island/Elmont NY) - an extremely high percentage of their recruits came from the state of Florida.  I think the academic requirements or lack thereof has a significance.  

    I grew up a HUGE Ohio State fan residing in Western NY because they were on my television way more than Syracuse was.  Even more so - Archie Griffen, Woody Hayes and my favorite uniforms changed my football wood factor from balsa to sequoia.  My dad was in my other ear about the RB tradition at Syracuse: Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, etc. Later on Joe Morris and Moose Johnston followed in their footsteps. 

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I wonder what percentage of the population has already had the virus.

    I’m guessing most teams have good amounts of  players that can’t even contract the virus at this point.

    Why would you think that?

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @the-gipper said:

    Why would you think that?

    There are people getting annual bloodwork health check up or giving blood for other reasons and finding out they have antibodies to the virus so at some point they had it without realizing they had the virus. 

  • @axe said:

    Which is why I always hated them. They had an exclusive singular contract with NBC I believe it was, that gave them an unfair recruiting advantage. Their Head coach of the week could walk into any kid's living room and guarantee him the opportunity to play on national tv each and every week, giving him a leg up towards the NFL..

    At 1 time, that probably was a big advantage.  It's been a long time since that was a program that consistently dominated; because they also had academic requirements that a Les Miles LSU program and others around the country did not have to uphold. That was an anchor. 1 kid that played for Les Miles only got his name right on the Wunderlic Test.  Vanderbilt always had academic standards and requirements which is why they always got rathoused.  As soon as UT increased their Academic requirements for athletes - they pretty much flat-lined to the extent Vandy even started to beat them.  Why all that?   When Lou Holtz got to ND - he tried to get at least 1 or 2 exceptions to their academic requirement/standard at the QB position if my memory is correct.  That later helped them win a National Championship.  I'm not sure where they are today with all that - but it's nice to see that program succeeding again.

    Now, I'll give you the best example I can think of.  When Howard Schnellenberger gave CPR to the University of Miami Hurricanes football program - they didn't get held hostage to an academic requirement/standard.  They started to win consistently and got their 1st National Championship with Bernie Kosar at QB.  Their 1st 2 starting QBs that helped transcend the program were Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar.  I think Vinny deserves some credit too because while he had more talent on both sides of the ball supporting him - he was good enough to make the decision to start Bernie a last second decision from Howard S.  That was back when the QB had to be good enough to carry/drive the team - they couldn't be a passenger and win like some of the QBs after them could be.  When Vinny Testaverde took over - the team around the QB on both sides of the ball was so more talented and better recruited. That said, Vinny was pretty freakin good except against Penn State.  Eventually lesser talented QBs like Steve Walsh, Craig Erickson and Gino Torretta could win being passengers - although they put up some good numbers (and Torretta actually won a Heisman).  The Miami Hurricanes ended up competing for more National Championships than Notre Dame did from the early 80s on without the Network contract ND had.  With the exception of Kelly (from PA), Kosar (from OH) and Testaverde (from Long Island/Elmont NY) - an extremely high percentage of their recruits came from the state of Florida.  I think the academic requirements or lack thereof has a significance.  

    I grew up a HUGE Ohio State fan residing in Western NY because they were on my television way more than Syracuse was.  Even more so - Archie Griffen, Woody Hayes and my favorite uniforms changed my football wood factor from balsa to sequoia.  My dad was in my other ear about the RB tradition at Syracuse: Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, etc. Later on Joe Morris and Moose Johnston followed in their footsteps. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #20

    @flugel said:

    At 1 time, that probably was a big advantage.  It's been a long time since that was a program that consistently dominated; because they also had academic requirements that a Les Miles LSU program and others around the country did not have to uphold. That was an anchor. 1 kid that played for Les Miles only got his name right on the Wunderlic Test.  Vanderbilt always had academic standards and requirements which is why they always got rathoused.  As soon as UT increased their Academic requirements for athletes - they pretty much flat-lined to the extent Vandy even started to beat them.  Why all that?   When Lou Holtz got to ND - he tried to get at least 1 or 2 exceptions to their academic requirement/standard at the QB position if my memory is correct.  That later helped them win a National Championship.  I'm not sure where they are today with all that - but it's nice to see that program succeeding again.

    Now, I'll give you the best example I can think of.  When Howard Schnellenberger gave CPR to the University of Miami Hurricanes football program - they didn't get held hostage to an academic requirement/standard.  They started to win consistently and got their 1st National Championship with Bernie Kosar at QB.  Their 1st 2 starting QBs that helped transcend the program were Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar.  I think Vinny deserves some credit too because while he had more talent on both sides of the ball supporting him - he was good enough to make the decision to start Bernie a last second decision from Howard S.  That was back when the QB had to be good enough to carry/drive the team - they couldn't be a passenger and win like some of the QBs after them could be.  When Vinny Testaverde took over - the team around the QB on both sides of the ball was so more talented and better recruited. That said, Vinny was pretty freakin good except against Penn State.  Eventually lesser talented QBs like Steve Walsh, Craig Erickson and Gino Torretta could win being passengers - although they put up some good numbers (and Torretta actually won a Heisman).  The Miami Hurricanes ended up competing for more National Championships than Notre Dame did from the early 80s on without the Network contract ND had.  With the exception of Kelly (from PA), Kosar (from OH) and Testaverde (from Long Island/Elmont NY) - an extremely high percentage of their recruits came from the state of Florida.  I think the academic requirements or lack thereof has a significance.  

    I grew up a HUGE Ohio State fan residing in Western NY because they were on my television way more than Syracuse was.  Even more so - Archie Griffen, Woody Hayes and my favorite uniforms changed my football wood factor from balsa to sequoia.  My dad was in my other ear about the RB tradition at Syracuse: Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, etc. Later on Joe Morris and Moose Johnston followed in their footsteps. 

    Interesting points.

    Bernie Kosar who was from Boardman Ohio where I live now graduated in 3 years from the U and it did help Modell snag him in the supplimental draft.  On another note Bernie's uncle worked at the same US Steel plant that I did way back when.  His dad Bernie Sr was a genuine asshole and quit working when Bernie hit the big time managing his money..... which led to Bernie's financial troubles.  Bernie's office where Sr hung out draining Jrs money was next door to my doctor's office in Boardman.

    I remember Bernie said once the best thing Sr ever did was pay for his sister's college tuition before the money was gone.  Family or friends can be real assholes sometimes.  😆

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why would you think that?

    There are people getting annual bloodwork health check up or giving blood for other reasons and finding out they have antibodies to the virus so at some point they had it without realizing they had the virus. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @sdbacker80 said:

    There are people getting annual bloodwork health check up or giving blood for other reasons and finding out they have antibodies to the virus so at some point they had it without realizing they had the virus. 

    What I mean is why would you think they are immune because they had it once.  I have heard any number of reports of people having had it twice. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    There are people getting annual bloodwork health check up or giving blood for other reasons and finding out they have antibodies to the virus so at some point they had it without realizing they had the virus. 

    What I mean is why would you think they are immune because they had it once.  I have heard any number of reports of people having had it twice. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @the-gipper said:

    What I mean is why would you think they are immune because they had it once.  I have heard any number of reports of people having had it twice. 

    I think Fauci spoke of this point recently..

    .”unlikely” but not out of the question 

    But Fauci said the chances of reinfection, as of now, seem low. "Now, we don't want to scare people to think, 'Oh my God, I've got infected. And now I'm going to get infected again,'" said Fauci. "Unlikely. But what we have a lot to learn is what the durability of protection is."

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I’m thinking that many players, being young and less likely to properly quarantine, would be more likely to have already have antibodies for Covid. Especially since there was about 4-5 months of pandemic before the season started.

    Just a guess. It would be better for a key player like a QB to have antibodies before the season started.

    I see what you're saying but that could be a double edge sword.  Like you said they're less likely to properly quarantine; so the danger is to their older family members if they are just a carrier with no symptoms.  That doesn't always help a grandma and grandpa or an aunt or uncle.  And then, if one doesn't have any symptoms and they go to a WH ceremony where people are so close together they're practically playing Twister - guess what happens?   Super spread.

    Some of these college programs like Wisconsin and some others have had up to 14-15 players infected in the same week. The GOOD thing is only a small percentage gets really sick in that age group.

    Right now hospitalizations due to the Corona Virus all over the country are hitting very dangerous volumes.  And people without symptoms aren't the ones I'm talking about here. How many of these are people that were infected by younger people WITHOUT symptoms?  That's where this gets dangerous.  It becomes a mentality of "I'm not gonna get sick at my age so why do I have to wear a mask?"   That's when you say "a big part of the reason for wearing a mask is to protect others around you that could get VERY sick from your germs even if you're just a carrier."   

    Anyway, I'm very pleasantly surprised the NFL is halfway through the season - and we're having some fun this year as Browns fans!

    CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @flugel said:

    I see what you're saying but that could be a double edge sword.  Like you said they're less likely to properly quarantine; so the danger is to their older family members if they are just a carrier with no symptoms.  That doesn't always help a grandma and grandpa or an aunt or uncle.  And then, if one doesn't have any symptoms and they go to a WH ceremony where people are so close together they're practically playing Twister - guess what happens?   Super spread.

    Some of these college programs like Wisconsin and some others have had up to 14-15 players infected in the same week. The GOOD thing is only a small percentage gets really sick in that age group.

    Right now hospitalizations due to the Corona Virus all over the country are hitting very dangerous volumes.  And people without symptoms aren't the ones I'm talking about here. How many of these are people that were infected by younger people WITHOUT symptoms?  That's where this gets dangerous.  It becomes a mentality of "I'm not gonna get sick at my age so why do I have to wear a mask?"   That's when you say "a big part of the reason for wearing a mask is to protect others around you that could get VERY sick from your germs even if you're just a carrier."   

    Anyway, I'm very pleasantly surprised the NFL is halfway through the season - and we're having some fun this year as Browns fans!

    thanks for the speech, I’m aware of what Covid is.

     Over that quarantine period it would seem likely that a share players would be seeing their younger friends and bars and not likely to be traveling to their parents home to hang out. But every player’s situation is unique. 

  • @flugel said:

    I see what you're saying but that could be a double edge sword.  Like you said they're less likely to properly quarantine; so the danger is to their older family members if they are just a carrier with no symptoms.  That doesn't always help a grandma and grandpa or an aunt or uncle.  And then, if one doesn't have any symptoms and they go to a WH ceremony where people are so close together they're practically playing Twister - guess what happens?   Super spread.

    Some of these college programs like Wisconsin and some others have had up to 14-15 players infected in the same week. The GOOD thing is only a small percentage gets really sick in that age group.

    Right now hospitalizations due to the Corona Virus all over the country are hitting very dangerous volumes.  And people without symptoms aren't the ones I'm talking about here. How many of these are people that were infected by younger people WITHOUT symptoms?  That's where this gets dangerous.  It becomes a mentality of "I'm not gonna get sick at my age so why do I have to wear a mask?"   That's when you say "a big part of the reason for wearing a mask is to protect others around you that could get VERY sick from your germs even if you're just a carrier."   

    Anyway, I'm very pleasantly surprised the NFL is halfway through the season - and we're having some fun this year as Browns fans!

    thanks for the speech, I’m aware of what Covid is.

     Over that quarantine period it would seem likely that a share players would be seeing their younger friends and bars and not likely to be traveling to their parents home to hang out. But every player’s situation is unique. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    thanks for the speech, I’m aware of what Covid is.

     Over that quarantine period it would seem likely that a share players would be seeing their younger friends and bars and not likely to be traveling to their parents home to hang out. But every player’s situation is unique. 

    What part of quarantine should = seeing their friends and going to bars if they're serious about making it to game day?  That's how you end up with something like 15 Wisconsin players testing positive so that 1-2 of their games get canceled.   When cases and hospitalizations are spiking - players have to decide whether they want to be social butterflies or making the sacrifice to play football.  

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    thanks for the speech, I’m aware of what Covid is.

     Over that quarantine period it would seem likely that a share players would be seeing their younger friends and bars and not likely to be traveling to their parents home to hang out. But every player’s situation is unique. 

    What part of quarantine should = seeing their friends and going to bars if they're serious about making it to game day?  That's how you end up with something like 15 Wisconsin players testing positive so that 1-2 of their games get canceled.   When cases and hospitalizations are spiking - players have to decide whether they want to be social butterflies or making the sacrifice to play football.  

    CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @flugel said:

    What part of quarantine should = seeing their friends and going to bars if they're serious about making it to game day?  That's how you end up with something like 15 Wisconsin players testing positive so that 1-2 of their games get canceled.   When cases and hospitalizations are spiking - players have to decide whether they want to be social butterflies or making the sacrifice to play football.  

    You are not understanding. I am referring to the OFF-SEASON, before the games started. The summer months when there were no games.

    I am saying I would prefer key players and all players on my team to be immune to COVID. Instead of a cluster of players potentially missing a game.

  • @flugel said:

    What part of quarantine should = seeing their friends and going to bars if they're serious about making it to game day?  That's how you end up with something like 15 Wisconsin players testing positive so that 1-2 of their games get canceled.   When cases and hospitalizations are spiking - players have to decide whether they want to be social butterflies or making the sacrifice to play football.  

    You are not understanding. I am referring to the OFF-SEASON, before the games started. The summer months when there were no games.

    I am saying I would prefer key players and all players on my team to be immune to COVID. Instead of a cluster of players potentially missing a game.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    You are not understanding. I am referring to the OFF-SEASON, before the games started. The summer months when there were no games.

    I am saying I would prefer key players and all players on my team to be immune to COVID. Instead of a cluster of players potentially missing a game.

    Equating exposure and recovery to pure immunity is....   not ideal.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Here we go again...

    Browns shut down training facility after player tests positive for COVID-19

    Coach Kevin Stefanski did not say if the player was on the field for Sunday’s win over the Houston Texans

    Published 3 hours ago

    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/browns-shut-down-training-facility-player-tests-positive-covid-19

  • Here we go again...

    Browns shut down training facility after player tests positive for COVID-19

    Coach Kevin Stefanski did not say if the player was on the field for Sunday’s win over the Houston Texans

    Published 3 hours ago

    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/browns-shut-down-training-facility-player-tests-positive-covid-19

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @tour2ma said:

    Here we go again...

    And we were doing so well.  

  • Here we go again...

    Browns shut down training facility after player tests positive for COVID-19

    Coach Kevin Stefanski did not say if the player was on the field for Sunday’s win over the Houston Texans

    Published 3 hours ago

    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/browns-shut-down-training-facility-player-tests-positive-covid-19

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @tour2ma said:

    Here we go again...

    Browns shut down training facility after player tests positive for COVID-19

    Coach Kevin Stefanski did not say if the player was on the field for Sunday’s win over the Houston Texans

    Published 3 hours ago

    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/browns-shut-down-training-facility-player-tests-positive-covid-19

    I read it was Andy Janovich. Contact tracing is underway 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Here we go again...

    Browns shut down training facility after player tests positive for COVID-19

    Coach Kevin Stefanski did not say if the player was on the field for Sunday’s win over the Houston Texans

    Published 3 hours ago

    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/browns-shut-down-training-facility-player-tests-positive-covid-19

    I read it was Andy Janovich. Contact tracing is underway 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @gunz41 said:

    I read it was Andy Janovich. Contact tracing is underway 

    huh boy, that could put some players on lockdown for a bit.

  • @gunz41 said:

    I read it was Andy Janovich. Contact tracing is underway 

    huh boy, that could put some players on lockdown for a bit.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @orion said:

    huh boy, that could put some players on lockdown for a bit.

    Like Ben Roethlisberger?

  • @orion said:

    huh boy, that could put some players on lockdown for a bit.

    Like Ben Roethlisberger?

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @the-gipper said:

    Like Ben Roethlisberger?

    We're in our first year under this coaching regime.  I think we need our togetherness practices more than the Steelers.  How you doin'?  You home?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Like Ben Roethlisberger?

    We're in our first year under this coaching regime.  I think we need our togetherness practices more than the Steelers.  How you doin'?  You home?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @orion said:

    We're in our first year under this coaching regime.  I think we need our togetherness practices more than the Steelers.  How you doin'?  You home?

    No. Still in. 

  • @orion said:

    We're in our first year under this coaching regime.  I think we need our togetherness practices more than the Steelers.  How you doin'?  You home?

    No. Still in. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @the-gipper said:

    No. Still in. 

    Get well!