Skip to content

The "It's-later-than-you-think" 2021 Mock Draft Thread

The Browns Board
324 23 11.2k 1
  • Fields has good tape and bad tape this year.  Probably two games where he would want to burn 6 quarters of tape. 

    He’s made professional throws and decisions throughout the Nebraska and PSU game.  There was one point in the year I believe after 3 games he had more TD passes than he had incompletions. 
     

    I believe many of his problems this season stem from making up for lost time - wanting to get in the heisman picture knowing  that he only had 7-8 games to get there.  Forcing the issue at times not playing a relaxed brand of football that he played in 2019.  The other issue outright refusal of checking it down and forcing action downfield.  Holding the ball waiting for downfield action to develop
     

    He’s going to wow some teams during the draft process others will covet Lawrence.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Fields has good tape and bad tape this year.  Probably two games where he would want to burn 6 quarters of tape. 

    He’s made professional throws and decisions throughout the Nebraska and PSU game.  There was one point in the year I believe after 3 games he had more TD passes than he had incompletions. 
     

    I believe many of his problems this season stem from making up for lost time - wanting to get in the heisman picture knowing  that he only had 7-8 games to get there.  Forcing the issue at times not playing a relaxed brand of football that he played in 2019.  The other issue outright refusal of checking it down and forcing action downfield.  Holding the ball waiting for downfield action to develop
     

    He’s going to wow some teams during the draft process others will covet Lawrence.  

    Lawrence WILL be the #1 pick.  No one would ever deny that.  Claim is that he is best prospect since Andrew Luck. 

  • Your expectations are based in fantasy, mine are reality. And a demonstration that I'm pretty good at what I do.  

    Like I said, I googled Justin Fields and those were the top 2 results. So you HAD to ignore them just to try and prove your point.

    Clowns to go the ignore list, Gip. We'll talk after bowl season.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @tiamat63 said:

    Your expectations are based in fantasy, mine are reality. And a demonstration that I'm pretty good at what I do.  

    I am sorry...you are the one with the fantasy....the apparent HOPE that  Fields will drop ...vs. all the linked data that I put on here. 

    Like I said, I googled Justin Fields and those were the top 2 results. So you HAD to ignore them just to try and prove your point.

    I googled "2021 Mock Drafts".....you know....sites that project where players might go in the draft.  Which is what we were talking about....projections where Fields may go in the draft.  Nothing that you showed came up in my google search.  I wasn't interested in his personal life, so I didn't google his name. 

    Clowns to go the ignore list, Gip. We'll talk after bowl season.

    No...clowns don't go there....otherwise I would put you there.   But I am not a coward who runs from an argument and I have never done that to anyone. So, are you really going to become a gutless kunt like Tour who runs and hides and can't stand up to a counter argument.  I really thought you were a better man than that. 

    So, what happens when Fields still goes in the Top 5 of the draft?  Are you then going to defer and say....well, he won't have any sort of a career....just so you can justify your opinion? 

  • Fields has good tape and bad tape this year.  Probably two games where he would want to burn 6 quarters of tape. 

    He’s made professional throws and decisions throughout the Nebraska and PSU game.  There was one point in the year I believe after 3 games he had more TD passes than he had incompletions. 
     

    I believe many of his problems this season stem from making up for lost time - wanting to get in the heisman picture knowing  that he only had 7-8 games to get there.  Forcing the issue at times not playing a relaxed brand of football that he played in 2019.  The other issue outright refusal of checking it down and forcing action downfield.  Holding the ball waiting for downfield action to develop
     

    He’s going to wow some teams during the draft process others will covet Lawrence.  

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Fields has good tape and bad tape this year.  Probably two games where he would want to burn 6 quarters of tape. 

    He’s made professional throws and decisions throughout the Nebraska and PSU game.  There was one point in the year I believe after 3 games he had more TD passes than he had incompletions. 
     

    I believe many of his problems this season stem from making up for lost time - wanting to get in the heisman picture knowing  that he only had 7-8 games to get there.  Forcing the issue at times not playing a relaxed brand of football that he played in 2019.  The other issue outright refusal of checking it down and forcing action downfield.  Holding the ball waiting for downfield action to develop
     

    He’s going to wow some teams during the draft process others will covet Lawrence.  

    You can find bad tape on any prospect. That isn't so much the issue.  It's what you find in that tape that is the problem.  

    Is there a trend that shows it's ugly head over the course of a sesson?  Or in the case of JF... His career?   

  • We need premium draft capital spent on LBs, Interior Dlineman and a DE.  Perhaps even a CB.

    We have a 1,2,3,3,4,4...5 of those 6 picks need investment at these three spots.  We are at point where need trumps all.  

    Im willing to give Delpit a shot (he will essentially be a rookie coming off an Achilles not a good combo from instant contribution) and I’d couple that with an actual starter via free agency. So we roll with Harrison, Delpit and free agent starter. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    We need premium draft capital spent on LBs, Interior Dlineman and a DE.  Perhaps even a CB.

    We have a 1,2,3,3,4,4...5 of those 6 picks need investment at these three spots.  We are at point where need trumps all. 

    "Need trumps all" makes my teeth ache from the clenching.

    As long as you are saying BPA at any of your targeted positions as each of our picks roll along, then my teeth will be better. Add that you would not pass on a significantly higher-ranked, non-targeted prospect for the sake of identified need and they are even better yet. CB is a great example early, but WR and OL come into play as the rounds roll by.

    All the above stems from my personal, need-as-a-tie-btreaker approach for prospects I rank in clusters. I use clusters because I see ranking 300 prospect from 1 to 300 as a fool's errand. At least it is for me. I'm lucky if I can get a given prospect within one cluster either way of where he belongs.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Sorry... Experts only.

    Hey! Leave Todd alone... 😉

    I think he's pretty damn good at what he does and he does it without a whiff of Kiper's arrogance. For me that's a watchable combination.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by

    Perhaps we should just have defense ranked - because "BPA at whatever defensive position we haven't picked yet" isn't exactly a sexy way of describing a draft board for days 1&2.. but if that's what we went by, I couldn't say it was wrong.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    We need premium draft capital spent on LBs, Interior Dlineman and a DE.  Perhaps even a CB.

    We have a 1,2,3,3,4,4...5 of those 6 picks need investment at these three spots.  We are at point where need trumps all. 

    "Need trumps all" makes my teeth ache from the clenching.

    As long as you are saying BPA at any of your targeted positions as each of our picks roll along, then my teeth will be better. Add that you would not pass on a significantly higher-ranked, non-targeted prospect for the sake of identified need and they are even better yet. CB is a great example early, but WR and OL come into play as the rounds roll by.

    All the above stems from my personal, need-as-a-tie-btreaker approach for prospects I rank in clusters. I use clusters because I see ranking 300 prospect from 1 to 300 as a fool's errand. At least it is for me. I'm lucky if I can get a given prospect within one cluster either way of where he belongs.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Sorry... Experts only.

    Hey! Leave Todd alone... 😉

    I think he's pretty damn good at what he does and he does it without a whiff of Kiper's arrogance. For me that's a watchable combination.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    "Need trumps all" makes my teeth ache from the clenching.

    As long as you are saying BPA at any of your targeted positions as each of our picks roll along, then my teeth will be better. Add that you would not pass on a significantly higher-ranked, non-targeted prospect for the sake of identified need and they are even better yet. CB is a great example early, but WR and OL come into play as the rounds roll by.

    All the above stems from my personal, need-as-a-tie-btreaker approach for prospects I rank in clusters. I use clusters because I see ranking 300 prospect from 1 to 300 as a fool's errand. At least it is for me. I'm lucky if I can get a given prospect within one cluster either way of where he belongs.

    Hey! Leave Todd alone... 😉

    I think he's pretty damn good at what he does and he does it without a whiff of Kiper's arrogance. For me that's a watchable combination.

    Todd seems alright, there's just a few bombs he's had that I just can't get past.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    We need premium draft capital spent on LBs, Interior Dlineman and a DE.  Perhaps even a CB.

    We have a 1,2,3,3,4,4...5 of those 6 picks need investment at these three spots.  We are at point where need trumps all. 

    "Need trumps all" makes my teeth ache from the clenching.

    As long as you are saying BPA at any of your targeted positions as each of our picks roll along, then my teeth will be better. Add that you would not pass on a significantly higher-ranked, non-targeted prospect for the sake of identified need and they are even better yet. CB is a great example early, but WR and OL come into play as the rounds roll by.

    All the above stems from my personal, need-as-a-tie-btreaker approach for prospects I rank in clusters. I use clusters because I see ranking 300 prospect from 1 to 300 as a fool's errand. At least it is for me. I'm lucky if I can get a given prospect within one cluster either way of where he belongs.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Sorry... Experts only.

    Hey! Leave Todd alone... 😉

    I think he's pretty damn good at what he does and he does it without a whiff of Kiper's arrogance. For me that's a watchable combination.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    "Need trumps all" makes my teeth ache from the clenching.

    As long as you are saying BPA at any of your targeted positions as each of our picks roll along, then my teeth will be better. Add that you would not pass on a significantly higher-ranked, non-targeted prospect for the sake of identified need and they are even better yet. CB is a great example early, but WR and OL come into play as the rounds roll by.

    All the above stems from my personal, need-as-a-tie-btreaker approach for prospects I rank in clusters. I use clusters because I see ranking 300 prospect from 1 to 300 as a fool's errand. At least it is for me. I'm lucky if I can get a given prospect within one cluster either way of where he belongs.

    Hey! Leave Todd alone... 😉

    I think he's pretty damn good at what he does and he does it without a whiff of Kiper's arrogance. For me that's a watchable combination.

    Of course...when the Browns pick #32 and a LT, QB, RB are the BPAs I hope we pass.

    I’d be willing to take the best interior dlineman, DE, LB, CB, FS/SS at that spot. 

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc

    well, so far the first round is very confusing.

    Players on my temporary way too early list for the Browns (about 21 to 25, somewhere maybe?

     FIRST ROUND
    zaven collins lb

     joseph ossai lb

    Trevon Moehrig s

    something like that, pretty much.

    ***EDIT:

    If the discussion were to lean toward BPA.... that is different.

    I just figure, btw, that Caleb Farley is long gone -  at worst a top 15 pick. That is the challenge

    I always throw at myself in my stupid mock drafts. If Farley falls to the Browns that far? lol

    Sure, that is a no-brainer probably.

    BPA? at about 25? If he's there - and he may very well be... I would switch gears and

    with Terrence Marshall Jr, 6'3" wr out of LSU. He's so excellent he gave Jacee? Horn fits in a game.

    But then I'd have to spend the rest of the draft on defense....

    it's complicated.

  • @tour2ma said:

    "Need trumps all" makes my teeth ache from the clenching.

    As long as you are saying BPA at any of your targeted positions as each of our picks roll along, then my teeth will be better. Add that you would not pass on a significantly higher-ranked, non-targeted prospect for the sake of identified need and they are even better yet. CB is a great example early, but WR and OL come into play as the rounds roll by.

    All the above stems from my personal, need-as-a-tie-btreaker approach for prospects I rank in clusters. I use clusters because I see ranking 300 prospect from 1 to 300 as a fool's errand. At least it is for me. I'm lucky if I can get a given prospect within one cluster either way of where he belongs.

    Hey! Leave Todd alone... 😉

    I think he's pretty damn good at what he does and he does it without a whiff of Kiper's arrogance. For me that's a watchable combination.

    Of course...when the Browns pick #32 and a LT, QB, RB are the BPAs I hope we pass.

    I’d be willing to take the best interior dlineman, DE, LB, CB, FS/SS at that spot. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Of course...when the Browns pick #32 and a LT, QB, RB are the BPAs I hope we pass.

    I’d be willing to take the best interior dlineman, DE, LB, CB, FS/SS at that spot. 

    I figured, but I can't recall "talking" draft philosophy with you before, so I wanted to kick it off...

    In that vein... if our only Round One options are OL, QB, RB when our 1st pick rolls along... a little earlier than #32 I'm guessing (but you keep the faith)... then trade down works for me.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Of course...when the Browns pick #32 and a LT, QB, RB are the BPAs I hope we pass.

    I’d be willing to take the best interior dlineman, DE, LB, CB, FS/SS at that spot. 

    I figured, but I can't recall "talking" draft philosophy with you before, so I wanted to kick it off...

    In that vein... if our only Round One options are OL, QB, RB when our 1st pick rolls along... a little earlier than #32 I'm guessing (but you keep the faith)... then trade down works for me.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    I figured, but I can't recall "talking" draft philosophy with you before, so I wanted to kick it off...

    In that vein... if our only Round One options are OL, QB, RB when our 1st pick rolls along... a little earlier than #32 I'm guessing (but you keep the faith)... then trade down works for me.

    I’m all about the trade down this coming draft.  You can find back 7 guys all day in 2/3 rounds.  
     

    I think Joe Woods and the defense are holding out on us.  Watch us turn this around and win a Super Bowl. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Whatever point you are making is irrelevant.    You are saying that often people taking highly in the draft, particularly QBs don't often work out. 

    So what?  That has fuck all to do with what we are talking about.   We are talking about how Fields is perceived at THIS point.  Not how he will do once he gets to the pros. 

    Lots of "can't miss"  QB prospects missed.   For all we know, Trevor Lawrence could turn out to  be shite or mediocre when gets to the pros. 

    The question is:  how are the professional prognosticators viewing Fields now. 

    No, that's not the point I'm making.  My point is, how a player is viewed is one thing. How they are evaluated, especially after one big game... Is another.  I'm giving an example of a hyped 1st round pick, that one game set-off a reaction of digging further into the details.

    And the truth is, most everyone you linked won't be doing their actual due-diligence until the bowl season is over.

    I'm simply getting ahead of them by saying, I expect Fields to slide. I genuinely believe I have a pulse on things other football minds have, or will soon see for themselves.  I've seen the same flaws that date back to last year's B1G title game with little to no improvement.    Fuck sake, this is my QB and between the two of us, I'm likely the only one who has actually attended tOSU.  So you'd think I would be over-the-moon homer on this, no?  Use some logic.   Do you not honestly think that Fields non-improvement as a passer is going to be a secret much longer?   Only takes one day - one game, for that perception to begin to change.

    You've shown no proof of that since his debacle v NU.  Only articles before that.  So fuck off until the draft or until we see further evidence of a slide should Justin play spotty against Clemson.  (Even then, the NU game will be enough) 

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    No, that's not the point I'm making.  My point is, how a player is viewed is one thing. How they are evaluated, especially after one big game... Is another.  I'm giving an example of a hyped 1st round pick, that one game set-off a reaction of digging further into the details.

    And the truth is, most everyone you linked won't be doing their actual due-diligence until the bowl season is over.

    I'm simply getting ahead of them by saying, I expect Fields to slide. I genuinely believe I have a pulse on things other football minds have, or will soon see for themselves.  I've seen the same flaws that date back to last year's B1G title game with little to no improvement.    Fuck sake, this is my QB and between the two of us, I'm likely the only one who has actually attended tOSU.  So you'd think I would be over-the-moon homer on this, no?  Use some logic.   Do you not honestly think that Fields non-improvement as a passer is going to be a secret much longer?   Only takes one day - one game, for that perception to begin to change.

    You've shown no proof of that since his debacle v NU.  Only articles before that.  So fuck off until the draft or until we see further evidence of a slide should Justin play spotty against Clemson.  (Even then, the NU game will be enough) 

    Tia coming out with some deep cuts.

    Good luck trying to get anything through Gip's head that disagrees with one of his established beliefs though. Especially if it is something that can be viewed as "anti-OSU"

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-round-miller-december/

    Here's a mock draft from a few days ago with Fields going #12 and Wade going #48

    (though he also has Jalen Mayfield as a Clemson OT...)

  • @tiamat63 said:

    No, that's not the point I'm making.  My point is, how a player is viewed is one thing. How they are evaluated, especially after one big game... Is another.  I'm giving an example of a hyped 1st round pick, that one game set-off a reaction of digging further into the details.

    And the truth is, most everyone you linked won't be doing their actual due-diligence until the bowl season is over.

    I'm simply getting ahead of them by saying, I expect Fields to slide. I genuinely believe I have a pulse on things other football minds have, or will soon see for themselves.  I've seen the same flaws that date back to last year's B1G title game with little to no improvement.    Fuck sake, this is my QB and between the two of us, I'm likely the only one who has actually attended tOSU.  So you'd think I would be over-the-moon homer on this, no?  Use some logic.   Do you not honestly think that Fields non-improvement as a passer is going to be a secret much longer?   Only takes one day - one game, for that perception to begin to change.

    You've shown no proof of that since his debacle v NU.  Only articles before that.  So fuck off until the draft or until we see further evidence of a slide should Justin play spotty against Clemson.  (Even then, the NU game will be enough) 

    Tia coming out with some deep cuts.

    Good luck trying to get anything through Gip's head that disagrees with one of his established beliefs though. Especially if it is something that can be viewed as "anti-OSU"

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @mld-woody said:

    Tia coming out with some deep cuts.

    Good luck trying to get anything through Gip's head that disagrees with one of his established beliefs though. Especially if it is something that can be viewed as "anti-OSU"

    I believe you are a little pussy. See if you can get anyone to challenge me on that.   And I believe that you will scour the internet for anything that IS  "Anti-OSU" so you can flout it.  

  • https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-round-miller-december/

    Here's a mock draft from a few days ago with Fields going #12 and Wade going #48

    (though he also has Jalen Mayfield as a Clemson OT...)

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-round-miller-december/

    Here's a mock draft from a few days ago with Fields going #12 and Wade going #48

    (though he also has Jalen Mayfield as a Clemson OT...)

    Here is a whole list of  mock drafts.  Like the top 7 on this list are from since the  OSU/Northwestern game wherein it was claimed that Fields performance would drop him way down.  He still sits in the Top 5 in all these.

    https://walterfootball.com/draftdata.php

    Nevertheless I DO think Fields will likely drop....for this reason:

    Jags take Trevor....but the next  7 in draft order are NOT in line to want a QB.    The only exception would be if the Jets trade their #2 pick to a team looking for a QB at #2.  And the Jets should trade that pick and maybe do just that.   Otherwise, I think the Jets have far more urgent needs than a QB.  They can do with Darnold. After them the Dolphins...ATL...Cinci....Philly...Lions....Giants....I don't see going QB as a priority....unless say Matt Stafford goes elsewhere, as  think he is a FA.  If he goes, Detroit needs a QB.  Otherwise you get down to 9-10 with Carolina and Denver who may go that route. 

    But...OK, there IS another guy in play:   Zack Wilson of BYU.    It is not so much that Fields would drop....it is that I think this guy will jump highly.     He goes Top Ten I think, minimally, if not higher. 

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    Well you've definitely never been wrong about or overhyped anything relating to Ohio or OSU in the past...

  • Well you've definitely never been wrong about or overhyped anything relating to Ohio or OSU in the past...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @mld-woody said:

    Well you've definitely never been wrong about or overhyped anything relating to Ohio or OSU in the past...

    Yes you are right. 

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by

    so we get delphit(sp?) and weeny i mean greedy back next year plus a draft class should make are D badass

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by

    Browns trading back wouldn't net much - thinking tiers, last 10 of the first and first 10 of the second are roughly equivalent.. Depends on the individual player of course, but don't drift away into fantasyland thinking that everyone is as terrible at trades as the ex-Texans GM.  For us to "win a trade-back" .. someone has to be that idiot you're planning to fleece, and I just don't see it.

  • Browns trading back wouldn't net much - thinking tiers, last 10 of the first and first 10 of the second are roughly equivalent.. Depends on the individual player of course, but don't drift away into fantasyland thinking that everyone is as terrible at trades as the ex-Texans GM.  For us to "win a trade-back" .. someone has to be that idiot you're planning to fleece, and I just don't see it.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @unsympathetic said:

    Browns trading back wouldn't net much - thinking tiers, last 10 of the first and first 10 of the second are roughly equivalent.. Depends on the individual player of course, but don't drift away into fantasyland thinking that everyone is as terrible at trades as the ex-Texans GM.  For us to "win a trade-back" .. someone has to be that idiot you're planning to fleece, and I just don't see it.

    Right now they would be  drafting in the dreaded   #22 spot!!  Isn't that where they took Quinn,  Weeden and JMZ?    

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Here is who one mock draft has them taking.  What do all you  "draft experts"  say about this possible choice? :

    22
    CLE
    6'4"
    253 lbs