Skip to content

Survey Black Friday

The Browns Board
48 8 1.1k 1
  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #27

    What about Iowa State? 

    There was a time where I would have recommended Syracuse, but their football program is nowhere to be found for quite a while now. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Note on previous two posts:    OSU lost to both West Virginia   and Cincinnati  the same year:   1897.   The LAST time they lost to either!

  • What about Iowa State? 

    There was a time where I would have recommended Syracuse, but their football program is nowhere to be found for quite a while now. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @dutch-oven said:

    What about Iowa State? 

    They can blow me.   Really.   (They are called The Cyclones). 

  • @ballpeen said:

    I always though WV would have been a better choice to join the Big 10 over Rutgers.  When the heck has Rutgers done anything, but I get it, the Big 10 wanted to expand market towards the east coast viewers. In todays world, that plays a BIG part.  Kentucky could, but they are a weakling in football most years.  OSU doesn't need it for recruiting.  They can probably recruit Kentucky better than Kentucky can.  Speaking of Kentucky...I thought Louisville would have been a nice addition to the Big 10.

    Oh, yea.  The Big Ten wanted that NY market.   And the same for Maryland joining....getting the DC/Baltimore market. Getting large markets is the thing.   I guess if they want to expand more they should get Boston College to join, and maybe Connecticut then they would have that large market as well, more so than Louisville.

    I wonder how much of the Pittsburgh market they have.  While there is Pitt in the ACC....Penn St. is pretty big in Pittsburgh as well.  Fair to say.

    And, they obviously have  the Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Twin Cities , Indianapolis markets as well.  And Cincinnati too. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @the-gipper said:

    Oh, yea.  The Big Ten wanted that NY market.   And the same for Maryland joining....getting the DC/Baltimore market. Getting large markets is the thing.   I guess if they want to expand more they should get Boston College to join, and maybe Connecticut then they would have that large market as well, more so than Louisville.

    I wonder how much of the Pittsburgh market they have.  While there is Pitt in the ACC....Penn St. is pretty big in Pittsburgh as well.  Fair to say.

    And, they obviously have  the Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Twin Cities , Indianapolis markets as well.  And Cincinnati too. 

    Sure, but that doesn't do anything for rivalry.  Plus, I am not sure the NY market is all that big on any one team.  On a recent trip to NYC my wife and I spotted a Irish Pub and decided to eat there for lunch.  It was a Auburn bar.  We didn't know that going in, but we knew it once we walked in the door.  My point is it is a city of 7 million people who root for 200 different teams.  The Big Ten could bring in Columbia if academic standing is as important as Dutch thinks, but it wouldn't do much for TV ratings.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Oh, yea.  The Big Ten wanted that NY market.   And the same for Maryland joining....getting the DC/Baltimore market. Getting large markets is the thing.   I guess if they want to expand more they should get Boston College to join, and maybe Connecticut then they would have that large market as well, more so than Louisville.

    I wonder how much of the Pittsburgh market they have.  While there is Pitt in the ACC....Penn St. is pretty big in Pittsburgh as well.  Fair to say.

    And, they obviously have  the Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Twin Cities , Indianapolis markets as well.  And Cincinnati too. 

    Sure, but that doesn't do anything for rivalry.  Plus, I am not sure the NY market is all that big on any one team.  On a recent trip to NYC my wife and I spotted a Irish Pub and decided to eat there for lunch.  It was a Auburn bar.  We didn't know that going in, but we knew it once we walked in the door.  My point is it is a city of 7 million people who root for 200 different teams.  The Big Ten could bring in Columbia if academic standing is as important as Dutch thinks, but it wouldn't do much for TV ratings.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #31

    @ballpeen said:

    Sure, but that doesn't do anything for rivalry.  Plus, I am not sure the NY market is all that big on any one team.  On a recent trip to NYC my wife and I spotted a Irish Pub and decided to eat there for lunch.  It was a Auburn bar.  We didn't know that going in, but we knew it once we walked in the door.  My point is it is a city of 7 million people who root for 200 different teams.  The Big Ten could bring in Columbia if academic standing is as important as Dutch thinks, but it wouldn't do much for TV ratings.

    Well, yea, I wasn't even thinking about rivalries in my above comments....just about  $$$.   And I hear what you say about NYC.   The team that more people there follow more than anyone is probably  Notre Dame...the whole Subway alumni.   Still, having the most local FBS team there in that market in your conference must help.  I can only assume the Big Ten has data on how Rutgers could  help them in that market.....to the point that they decided to bring them into the fold. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Oh, yea.  The Big Ten wanted that NY market.   And the same for Maryland joining....getting the DC/Baltimore market. Getting large markets is the thing.   I guess if they want to expand more they should get Boston College to join, and maybe Connecticut then they would have that large market as well, more so than Louisville.

    I wonder how much of the Pittsburgh market they have.  While there is Pitt in the ACC....Penn St. is pretty big in Pittsburgh as well.  Fair to say.

    And, they obviously have  the Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Twin Cities , Indianapolis markets as well.  And Cincinnati too. 

    Sure, but that doesn't do anything for rivalry.  Plus, I am not sure the NY market is all that big on any one team.  On a recent trip to NYC my wife and I spotted a Irish Pub and decided to eat there for lunch.  It was a Auburn bar.  We didn't know that going in, but we knew it once we walked in the door.  My point is it is a city of 7 million people who root for 200 different teams.  The Big Ten could bring in Columbia if academic standing is as important as Dutch thinks, but it wouldn't do much for TV ratings.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @ballpeen said:

    The Big Ten could bring in Columbia if academic standing is as important as Dutch thinks, but it wouldn't do much for TV ratings

    I'm sorry your idea of having West Virginia enter the Big Ten was already considered years ago, and the Big Ten dismissed it because of WVU's academic record. 

  • Interesting that we have so many divergent opinions on the best college rivalry  (behind OSU/Mich).  So far we have:

    Alabama/Auburn

    Notre Dame/USC

    Texas/Oklahoma

    Army/Navy

    Any more out there:

    And Russ(Balpeen) ....what is up with the Florida trilogy rivalries?  Have they diminished somewhat?   (who is Florida's biggest rival?  FSU or Georgia?....I don't think they ever play Miami, do they?

    ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @the-gipper said:

    Interesting that we have so many divergent opinions on the best college rivalry  (behind OSU/Mich).  So far we have:

    Alabama/Auburn

    Notre Dame/USC

    Texas/Oklahoma

    Army/Navy

    Any more out there:

    And Russ(Balpeen) ....what is up with the Florida trilogy rivalries?  Have they diminished somewhat?   (who is Florida's biggest rival?  FSU or Georgia?....I don't think they ever play Miami, do they?

    oregon/ oregon state one of the longest which the Beavers won on friday fuck the ducks

  • @the-gipper said:

    Interesting that we have so many divergent opinions on the best college rivalry  (behind OSU/Mich).  So far we have:

    Alabama/Auburn

    Notre Dame/USC

    Texas/Oklahoma

    Army/Navy

    Any more out there:

    And Russ(Balpeen) ....what is up with the Florida trilogy rivalries?  Have they diminished somewhat?   (who is Florida's biggest rival?  FSU or Georgia?....I don't think they ever play Miami, do they?

    oregon/ oregon state one of the longest which the Beavers won on friday fuck the ducks

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @atom said:

    oregon/ oregon state one of the longest which the Beavers won on friday fuck the ducks

    A nice little local rivalry.   Not a major one on the national state.   It is superseded even in the Pac 12 by USC/UCLA,  Stanford/Cal.   Probably on a par with  Wash/Wash. St.   or Ariz./Ariz. State. 

  • @atom said:

    oregon/ oregon state one of the longest which the Beavers won on friday fuck the ducks

    A nice little local rivalry.   Not a major one on the national state.   It is superseded even in the Pac 12 by USC/UCLA,  Stanford/Cal.   Probably on a par with  Wash/Wash. St.   or Ariz./Ariz. State. 

    ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @the-gipper said:

    A nice little local rivalry.   Not a major one on the national state.   It is superseded even in the Pac 12 by USC/UCLA,  Stanford/Cal.   Probably on a par with  Wash/Wash. St.   or Ariz./Ariz. State. 

    and those are fun games to watch

    have you watched any pac 12 games ? god the officials in that league suck

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #36

    smith the head coach of the beavers has been recruiting his ass off and has the team playing well so some day I believe the game will get more attention 

  • @the-gipper said:

    A nice little local rivalry.   Not a major one on the national state.   It is superseded even in the Pac 12 by USC/UCLA,  Stanford/Cal.   Probably on a par with  Wash/Wash. St.   or Ariz./Ariz. State. 

    and those are fun games to watch

    have you watched any pac 12 games ? god the officials in that league suck

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @atom said:

    and those are fun games to watch

    have you watched any pac 12 games ? god the officials in that league suck

    Yea, usually wide open games.  But I don't know, is the officiating there any worse than in the NFL? 

  • @atom said:

    and those are fun games to watch

    have you watched any pac 12 games ? god the officials in that league suck

    Yea, usually wide open games.  But I don't know, is the officiating there any worse than in the NFL? 

    ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea, usually wide open games.  But I don't know, is the officiating there any worse than in the NFL? 

    YES it is fucking horrid even after a official makes a statement about a play they have to re huddle and reverse what he said fuckers should not even be allowed to do a pee wee game 

  • @ballpeen said:

    The Big Ten could bring in Columbia if academic standing is as important as Dutch thinks, but it wouldn't do much for TV ratings

    I'm sorry your idea of having West Virginia enter the Big Ten was already considered years ago, and the Big Ten dismissed it because of WVU's academic record. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm sorry your idea of having West Virginia enter the Big Ten was already considered years ago, and the Big Ten dismissed it because of WVU's academic record. 

    I understand and now that you mention it I do recall your info on WV.

    It's very noble the Big Ten strives to maintain some standards for it's members. Many years ago at some crappy time slot on Saturday afternoons there was a television program called "It's Academic".  Different college teams were pitted against each other in a "Jeopardy" type format.

    It's no longer on the air because people didn't watch because they were more interested in watching good college football games.

    I thought that was what this thread was about...building strong rivalries in a conference. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm sorry your idea of having West Virginia enter the Big Ten was already considered years ago, and the Big Ten dismissed it because of WVU's academic record. 

    I understand and now that you mention it I do recall your info on WV.

    It's very noble the Big Ten strives to maintain some standards for it's members. Many years ago at some crappy time slot on Saturday afternoons there was a television program called "It's Academic".  Different college teams were pitted against each other in a "Jeopardy" type format.

    It's no longer on the air because people didn't watch because they were more interested in watching good college football games.

    I thought that was what this thread was about...building strong rivalries in a conference. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @ballpeen said:

    I understand and now that you mention it I do recall your info on WV.

    It's very noble the Big Ten strives to maintain some standards for it's members. Many years ago at some crappy time slot on Saturday afternoons there was a television program called "It's Academic".  Different college teams were pitted against each other in a "Jeopardy" type format.

    It's no longer on the air because people didn't watch because they were more interested in watching good college football games.

    I thought that was what this thread was about...building strong rivalries in a conference. 

    Well, I think that OSU/WVa.  could be a decent rivalry that should be played on occasion.....in or out of conference.    But hell, correct me if I am wrong,   WVa's  biggest rivalry was always Pitt, wasn't it?   Billed as the "Backyard Brawl".   And they don't play that any more, do they?  

    And there is that Texas/Texas A&M rivalry that they don't play any more.  Our regular here wants to put the demise of that on the back of Texas.....but I am not sure about that.   Seems that since TAMU  joined the SEC they didn't want to take on another tough customer out of conference.  

    And the rivalry that I think has truly demised that is regrettable is:    Nebraska/Oklahoma. 

    But, let me ask the real tough question:    Is it any coincidence that since they have gotten very strict on steroid use that the Nebraska program has gone downhill? 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #41

    2. Will both Chubb and Hunt carry for 100 yards each on Sunday v. Jags?  Can both of them get to 1000 yards for the season?

    By the way:   Chubb 19 carries for 144,   Hunt   10 for  62.

    For the season:

    Chubb 719 yards

    Hunt  706.  

    With 5 games remaining, its possible they may both make 1000.  

  • 2. Will both Chubb and Hunt carry for 100 yards each on Sunday v. Jags?  Can both of them get to 1000 yards for the season?

    By the way:   Chubb 19 carries for 144,   Hunt   10 for  62.

    For the season:

    Chubb 719 yards

    Hunt  706.  

    With 5 games remaining, its possible they may both make 1000.  

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @the-gipper said:

    2. Will both Chubb and Hunt carry for 100 yards each on Sunday v. Jags?  Can both of them get to 1000 yards for the season?

    By the way:   Chubb 19 carries for 144,   Hunt   10 for  62.

    For the season:

    Chubb 719 yards

    Hunt  706.  

    With 5 games remaining, its possible they may both make 1000.  

    You are right on the 1000 for each we are going to need to run the ball in all of these contest left.

    And they can feast against the Jets and Giants too 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm sorry your idea of having West Virginia enter the Big Ten was already considered years ago, and the Big Ten dismissed it because of WVU's academic record. 

    I understand and now that you mention it I do recall your info on WV.

    It's very noble the Big Ten strives to maintain some standards for it's members. Many years ago at some crappy time slot on Saturday afternoons there was a television program called "It's Academic".  Different college teams were pitted against each other in a "Jeopardy" type format.

    It's no longer on the air because people didn't watch because they were more interested in watching good college football games.

    I thought that was what this thread was about...building strong rivalries in a conference. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @ballpeen said:

    I understand and now that you mention it I do recall your info on WV.

    It's very noble the Big Ten strives to maintain some standards for it's members. Many years ago at some crappy time slot on Saturday afternoons there was a television program called "It's Academic".  Different college teams were pitted against each other in a "Jeopardy" type format.

    It's no longer on the air because people didn't watch because they were more interested in watching good college football games.

    I thought that was what this thread was about...building strong rivalries in a conference. 

    Also there's this to consider:

    West Virginia isn't that good at college football either. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    I understand and now that you mention it I do recall your info on WV.

    It's very noble the Big Ten strives to maintain some standards for it's members. Many years ago at some crappy time slot on Saturday afternoons there was a television program called "It's Academic".  Different college teams were pitted against each other in a "Jeopardy" type format.

    It's no longer on the air because people didn't watch because they were more interested in watching good college football games.

    I thought that was what this thread was about...building strong rivalries in a conference. 

    Also there's this to consider:

    West Virginia isn't that good at college football either. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @dutch-oven said:

    Also there's this to consider:

    West Virginia isn't that good at college football either. 

    I remember the year that it was  going to be   Ohio State vs. undefeated  WVa. in the  BCS title game......but WVa. choked in their final game, opening it up for Florida to make it....who then proceeded to rock OSU.    Would have like to have seen that title game matchup. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Also there's this to consider:

    West Virginia isn't that good at college football either. 

    I remember the year that it was  going to be   Ohio State vs. undefeated  WVa. in the  BCS title game......but WVa. choked in their final game, opening it up for Florida to make it....who then proceeded to rock OSU.    Would have like to have seen that title game matchup. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @the-gipper said:

    I remember the year that it was  going to be   Ohio State vs. undefeated  WVa. in the  BCS title game......but WVa. choked in their final game, opening it up for Florida to make it....who then proceeded to rock OSU.    Would have like to have seen that title game matchup. 

    Not me.  That was a great evening as it was.  

  • @the-gipper said:

    I remember the year that it was  going to be   Ohio State vs. undefeated  WVa. in the  BCS title game......but WVa. choked in their final game, opening it up for Florida to make it....who then proceeded to rock OSU.    Would have like to have seen that title game matchup. 

    Not me.  That was a great evening as it was.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @ballpeen said:

    Not me.  That was a great evening as it was.  

    Admit it though....you all backdoored your way in.  Florida had other chances, and successes.  That is the only time in my lifetime that WVa. came close to being able to play for the National title.