Skip to content

Hey tia, Flugel and Tour!!

The Browns Board
11 5 367
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    How about an explanation/illustration of those chop block calls yesterday?

    I'm not sure I understand the rules or rulings there.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #2

    Same rule as has been, Ag. If a 2nd blocker goes low on a defender while an initial blocker is engaged high, then blocker #2's block is an illegal chop block.

    https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/chop-block/

    If you have time of game examples, I'll look at the game recording.

  • Same rule as has been, Ag. If a 2nd blocker goes low on a defender while an initial blocker is engaged high, then blocker #2's block is an illegal chop block.

    https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/chop-block/

    If you have time of game examples, I'll look at the game recording.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @tour2ma said:

    Same rule as has been, Ag. If a 2nd blocker goes low on a defender while an initial blocker is engaged high, then blocker #2's block is an illegal chop block.

    https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/chop-block/

    If you have time of game examples, I'll look at the game recording.

    The one I especially wondered about was on an OL going low with no other players around other than the one he was blocking. Is there a rule about how far downfield or in some particular zone you may or may not go low individually?

    I plan to watch the game again today, so I'll find the time line for you.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I watched every play and could not find it. It must have been one of the college games I saw Sat. where the chop block was called on a lineman downfield by himself going low on a defender with no one else around. I thought college rules were the same as NFL in that it is only valid if two blocker (hi & low) are involved in the block.

  • I watched every play and could not find it. It must have been one of the college games I saw Sat. where the chop block was called on a lineman downfield by himself going low on a defender with no one else around. I thought college rules were the same as NFL in that it is only valid if two blocker (hi & low) are involved in the block.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @texasag1969 said:

    I watched every play and could not find it. It must have been one of the college games I saw Sat. where the chop block was called on a lineman downfield by himself going low on a defender with no one else around. I thought college rules were the same as NFL in that it is only valid if two blocker (hi & low) are involved in the block.

    google is your friend... 🙂

    Found this... apparently the NCAA added to its NFL-like, Hi-Lo, chop rule in 2018.

    Officially, the new chop-block rule states:

    — No offensive player except offensive linemen can block below the waist unless coming toward the opponent’s front.

    — No player can block below the waist 5 or more yards past the line of scrimmage and no player can block below the waist while moving backward toward its own line of scrimmage.

    https://wvmetronews.com/2018/08/27/chop-block-rule-change-fuels-questions-skepticism/

    So...

    • WRs and RBs (and the occasional QB) can never go low from the side; and
    • no one can block low from any angle more than 5-yds downfield; and
    • adds an element of NFL's crack-back rule.

    It was all news to me as well.

  • Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    And an added part for future, there is also no blocking below waist in NFL on any kicks or changes of possession. 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Just now seeing this.

    Tour did all the heavy lifting, so my work here is done. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I watched every play and could not find it. It must have been one of the college games I saw Sat. where the chop block was called on a lineman downfield by himself going low on a defender with no one else around. I thought college rules were the same as NFL in that it is only valid if two blocker (hi & low) are involved in the block.

    google is your friend... 🙂

    Found this... apparently the NCAA added to its NFL-like, Hi-Lo, chop rule in 2018.

    Officially, the new chop-block rule states:

    — No offensive player except offensive linemen can block below the waist unless coming toward the opponent’s front.

    — No player can block below the waist 5 or more yards past the line of scrimmage and no player can block below the waist while moving backward toward its own line of scrimmage.

    https://wvmetronews.com/2018/08/27/chop-block-rule-change-fuels-questions-skepticism/

    So...

    • WRs and RBs (and the occasional QB) can never go low from the side; and
    • no one can block low from any angle more than 5-yds downfield; and
    • adds an element of NFL's crack-back rule.

    It was all news to me as well.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @tour2ma said:

    google is your friend... 🙂

    Found this... apparently the NCAA added to its NFL-like, Hi-Lo, chop rule in 2018.

    So...

    • WRs and RBs (and the occasional QB) can never go low from the side; and
    • no one can block low from any angle more than 5-yds downfield; and
    • adds an element of NFL's crack-back rule.

    It was all news to me as well.

    Yep-that was it because they were downfield more than 5 yds. I think it might have been an A&M lineman against Auburn. They are all taught downfield blocking in their run first offense, but you can bet Jimbo is going to re-educate them all on below the waste blocks that far downfield. You could see the OL involved didn't get it with his questioning shoulders & hands up towards the ref in a WTF did I do look.

  • Just now seeing this.

    Tour did all the heavy lifting, so my work here is done. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @tiamat63 said:

    Tour did all the heavy lifting...

    Nothing new.. especially since you've gone Part-time on us here... 😉

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Tour did all the heavy lifting...

    Nothing new.. especially since you've gone Part-time on us here... 😉

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @tour2ma said:

    Nothing new.. especially since you've gone Part-time on us here... 😉

    Sadly the demands of life and work lately under a pandemic.

    However you can sleep tightly under that blanket of PPE freedom my company helps to provide with all the hours we put in.?

  • @tour2ma said:

    Nothing new.. especially since you've gone Part-time on us here... 😉

    Sadly the demands of life and work lately under a pandemic.

    However you can sleep tightly under that blanket of PPE freedom my company helps to provide with all the hours we put in.?

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @tiamat63 said:

    Sadly the demands of life and work lately under a pandemic.

    However you can sleep tightly under that blanket of PPE freedom my company helps to provide with all the hours we put in.?

    We are probably buying it.  Keep up the good work