Week 14: BLT @ CLE on MNF... Is shit is about to get real? Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore(so)"...
-
This is worth watching just for the entire cast breaking character throughout... and Lindsay Lohan's cans.
About breaking character in SNL....
-
Scoutin' the Ravens tonite as I am sure most here are. Random thoughts...
- Overall the Ravens D doesn't impress even with Covid pieces back...
Got my eyes on these two ?...
Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams are both active, giving a major boost to Baltimore's defensive line. Campbell has missed three games since injuring his calf Nov. 8 against the Indianapolis Colts, while Williams has missed the last two games with an ankle injury suffered Nov. 15 against the New England Patriots.
Calais.. looked like he should not* have been playing in the 2nd half vs. Boyz... short week for Ravens...(luck matters)
Got my eyes on these two ?...
Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams are both active, giving a major boost to Baltimore's defensive line. Campbell has missed three games since injuring his calf Nov. 8 against the Indianapolis Colts, while Williams has missed the last two games with an ankle injury suffered Nov. 15 against the New England Patriots.
Calais.. looked like he should not* have been playing in the 2nd half vs. Boyz... short week for Ravens...(luck matters)
They'll prolly all be suited up Gumbs. Last time we played the Rats, Calais Campbell made a difference even in an area I didn't expect him to. That one play when they dropped him into a zone where Baker likes to throw (grey area just outside the hook zone) - he got that wing span of his 6'8" frame up there to deflect a pass into an INT.
Sometimes I wonder if we put Baker in a pistol/shot-gun formation more frequently if it would improve his pre-snap reads and peripheral vision that split second decisions count on. I used to say all the time when people said Baker reminded them of Brett Favre that he reminded me more of Drew Brees. BTW, Drew Brees' career at Baker's age was turbulent enough to prompt SD to draft a QB 1st overall (Eli and then they had to trade him to the NYG in order to draft Philip Rivers a little later in rd 1). The questions arising at the time were - is Brees tall enough to see everything at 6'? Keep in mind that both Eli Manning and Philip Rivers are 6'5" tall so I'm guessing the plan suggested the height needed to be dealt with. Having said that, Rivers held out the length of training camp so Brees was named starter as his 4th season began. When Brees played at Purdue - Joe Tiller had him in the shot gun formation most of the time; so he didn't turn his back on pre-snap reads during his drop-backs which helped his decisions and accuracy. When Brees got to SD, the game plan was to feed LT the ball and the best formations to do so at the time seemed to be QB under Center. LT flourished but that didn't always help Brees at QB (seems kind of familiar to some of the games we've seen this year with our running game and Baker right?). Coincidentally, SD drafted Purdue Center Nick Hardwick in 2004 - who made a lot of snaps in the shot gun formation for Joe Tiller's team while he was very efficient blocking up front. Another coincidence is Drew Brees made his 1st NFL Pro Bowl in 2004 - the first year he had Hardwick snapping frequently to him in a shot gun formation. Again, that could all just be a coincidence to the turning point - but I think the Coaching Staff in SD made an attempt to borrow some of the Joe Tiller thought process that made Drew Brees a star in the Big 10 (particularly increasing the frequency of extending the pre and post snap vision). FWIW, that never stopped LT from being elite at running the ball.
As Brees' career went on and a shoulder injury fated him to Sean Payton in New Orleans - Brees perfected the art of throwing to precise areas receivers were supposed to be and his length of experience and preparation produced elite/unparalleled anticipation. Would any of this have been possible if Rivers never held out the training camp leading to the breakout year from Brees? As it is, after Brees injured his shoulder - he only had 2 teams interested despite the reality of his surgeon saying the prognosis was excellent and his arm strength could even improve. That 6' QB stereotype still invited more critics than gonads...
Why all that? What's the hurry to say we're seeing the final product of Baker Mayfield - who is 4 Offensive Coordinators old in just 3 NFL seasons? That's a lot of systems to learn and de-program this early on. I'm a 1st impression kind of guy that thinks it's very difficult to set an NFL Rookie QB record of 27 TD passes in only 14 appearances on a team coming off 0-16 football if you don't have promising skillset to tap. So then it becomes "yeah but he can't beat any good NFL teams?" I expect that from a jock sniffer like Colin Cowherd; but let's try to remember just how non-competitive this offense and the QB position was here before Baker arrived.
-
Got my eyes on these two ?...
Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams are both active, giving a major boost to Baltimore's defensive line. Campbell has missed three games since injuring his calf Nov. 8 against the Indianapolis Colts, while Williams has missed the last two games with an ankle injury suffered Nov. 15 against the New England Patriots.
Calais.. looked like he should not* have been playing in the 2nd half vs. Boyz... short week for Ravens...(luck matters)
They'll prolly all be suited up Gumbs. Last time we played the Rats, Calais Campbell made a difference even in an area I didn't expect him to. That one play when they dropped him into a zone where Baker likes to throw (grey area just outside the hook zone) - he got that wing span of his 6'8" frame up there to deflect a pass into an INT.
Sometimes I wonder if we put Baker in a pistol/shot-gun formation more frequently if it would improve his pre-snap reads and peripheral vision that split second decisions count on. I used to say all the time when people said Baker reminded them of Brett Favre that he reminded me more of Drew Brees. BTW, Drew Brees' career at Baker's age was turbulent enough to prompt SD to draft a QB 1st overall (Eli and then they had to trade him to the NYG in order to draft Philip Rivers a little later in rd 1). The questions arising at the time were - is Brees tall enough to see everything at 6'? Keep in mind that both Eli Manning and Philip Rivers are 6'5" tall so I'm guessing the plan suggested the height needed to be dealt with. Having said that, Rivers held out the length of training camp so Brees was named starter as his 4th season began. When Brees played at Purdue - Joe Tiller had him in the shot gun formation most of the time; so he didn't turn his back on pre-snap reads during his drop-backs which helped his decisions and accuracy. When Brees got to SD, the game plan was to feed LT the ball and the best formations to do so at the time seemed to be QB under Center. LT flourished but that didn't always help Brees at QB (seems kind of familiar to some of the games we've seen this year with our running game and Baker right?). Coincidentally, SD drafted Purdue Center Nick Hardwick in 2004 - who made a lot of snaps in the shot gun formation for Joe Tiller's team while he was very efficient blocking up front. Another coincidence is Drew Brees made his 1st NFL Pro Bowl in 2004 - the first year he had Hardwick snapping frequently to him in a shot gun formation. Again, that could all just be a coincidence to the turning point - but I think the Coaching Staff in SD made an attempt to borrow some of the Joe Tiller thought process that made Drew Brees a star in the Big 10 (particularly increasing the frequency of extending the pre and post snap vision). FWIW, that never stopped LT from being elite at running the ball.
As Brees' career went on and a shoulder injury fated him to Sean Payton in New Orleans - Brees perfected the art of throwing to precise areas receivers were supposed to be and his length of experience and preparation produced elite/unparalleled anticipation. Would any of this have been possible if Rivers never held out the training camp leading to the breakout year from Brees? As it is, after Brees injured his shoulder - he only had 2 teams interested despite the reality of his surgeon saying the prognosis was excellent and his arm strength could even improve. That 6' QB stereotype still invited more critics than gonads...
Why all that? What's the hurry to say we're seeing the final product of Baker Mayfield - who is 4 Offensive Coordinators old in just 3 NFL seasons? That's a lot of systems to learn and de-program this early on. I'm a 1st impression kind of guy that thinks it's very difficult to set an NFL Rookie QB record of 27 TD passes in only 14 appearances on a team coming off 0-16 football if you don't have promising skillset to tap. So then it becomes "yeah but he can't beat any good NFL teams?" I expect that from a jock sniffer like Colin Cowherd; but let's try to remember just how non-competitive this offense and the QB position was here before Baker arrived.
I'm a 1st impression kind of guy that thinks it's very difficult to set an NFL Rookie QB record of 27 TD passes in only 14 appearances on a team coming off 0-16 football. So then it becomes "yeah but he can't beat any good NFL teams?"
It's funny, the standards continue to move for Baker and I don't understand it. "He's only winning because of the running game" or "He can't beat good teams" or "He can't beat divisional opponents." It's frustrating and I'm tired of hearing it. The issue is, we're going to inevitably lose, and when we do, people will be like, "SEE! WE TOLD YOU!" It's a completely unfair standard that came out of nowhere. No team wins every game, and no QB plays well every week. Unfortunately for Baker, he's totally due for a stinker. And double unfortunately, we play a very tough opponent in our division.
I don't think we're going to win Monday. It doesn't change how I feel about Baker or the team. If Baltimore loses, their season is over. They're not going to let a team they beat by 100 points to knock them out, I'm sorry. Additionally, they play man defense, and they play physical man defense. We don't have the WRs to beat it without OBJ. I also don't think our defense is good enough to stop them, either. Playing the Ravens comes down to stopping them on 4th down. We are abysmal defensively on 4th down.
Remember, this is the Ravens' season. Do people really think we're ready to take THAT step of knocking out big brother? A team that owns the all time record like 34-12? I do not. But it still doesn't mean I don't love our QB or our team. Guess what, we're home underdogs for a REASON. Some people say history doesn't matter, I think it does. I think we lose, and I don't think it's close. I'm now 8-4 on the season, which isn't great, but I'd LOVE to be wrong about this one.
-
On a brighter note, lol, Denzel might? be able to play Monday night. It's been the two weeks about.
https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-might-have-denzel-ward-back-for-ravens-matchup/
If the Browns don't win, it will be because of their secondary. If only Delpit hadn't gotten injured the entire year....and Greedy. And...if they lose, it will be because Hooper couldn't play and block on rushes......
If the Browns DO WIN, and I expect it...(just out of stubbornness)...it will be because the wr's stepped up, Chubb and Hunt dominate the game, and our WR's that aren't named Landry step up again hugely. Me, I think I would be misdirecting like the last game... and throw to our TE's more often, throwing the stinking ratbirds off track.
I did note that on the first play of the game, the Browns did throw a short pass. Defenses tend to crowd out los knowing that we want to establish the run, so we end up not accomplishing much all too often. That, and most defenses probably have watched Chubb early on rampage the first play of that game well before... lol.
Going to be a blockbuster game. Just a few turnovers by the ratbirds could seal their fate in this one.
Gustin may very well be back, Hodge is iffy, Ward is iffy....
https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-might-have-denzel-ward-back-for-ravens-matchup/
-
On a brighter note, lol, Denzel might? be able to play Monday night. It's been the two weeks about.
https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-might-have-denzel-ward-back-for-ravens-matchup/
If the Browns don't win, it will be because of their secondary. If only Delpit hadn't gotten injured the entire year....and Greedy. And...if they lose, it will be because Hooper couldn't play and block on rushes......
If the Browns DO WIN, and I expect it...(just out of stubbornness)...it will be because the wr's stepped up, Chubb and Hunt dominate the game, and our WR's that aren't named Landry step up again hugely. Me, I think I would be misdirecting like the last game... and throw to our TE's more often, throwing the stinking ratbirds off track.
I did note that on the first play of the game, the Browns did throw a short pass. Defenses tend to crowd out los knowing that we want to establish the run, so we end up not accomplishing much all too often. That, and most defenses probably have watched Chubb early on rampage the first play of that game well before... lol.
Going to be a blockbuster game. Just a few turnovers by the ratbirds could seal their fate in this one.
Gustin may very well be back, Hodge is iffy, Ward is iffy....
https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-might-have-denzel-ward-back-for-ravens-matchup/
I did note that on the first play of the game, the Browns did throw a short pass. Defenses tend to crowd out los knowing that we want to establish the run, so we end up not accomplishing much all too often. That, and most defenses probably have watched Chubb early on rampage the first play of that game well before... lol.
Yep, last two games we started with a pass. Against Jags we started empty (and I think Titans too, but not sure) and gave up a sack near the goal line that ended our drive before it started. I'm definitely much more confident with empty formation than I used to be, but that's mainly against bad defenses that run zone, not teams like the Ravens.
-
I did note that on the first play of the game, the Browns did throw a short pass. Defenses tend to crowd out los knowing that we want to establish the run, so we end up not accomplishing much all too often. That, and most defenses probably have watched Chubb early on rampage the first play of that game well before... lol.
Yep, last two games we started with a pass. Against Jags we started empty (and I think Titans too, but not sure) and gave up a sack near the goal line that ended our drive before it started. I'm definitely much more confident with empty formation than I used to be, but that's mainly against bad defenses that run zone, not teams like the Ravens.
Yep, last two games we started with a pass. Against Jags we started empty (and I think Titans too, but not sure) and gave up a sack near the goal line that ended our drive before it started. I'm definitely much more confident with empty formation than I used to be, but that's mainly against bad defenses that run zone, not teams like the Ravens.
yeah, the empty set doesn't seem like a good idea in that situation... that one did backfire. Their secondary is pretty good, ok, very good.... with Stefanski, it never occurs to me to complain about the playcalling - I think he's brilliant at it.
-
Yep, last two games we started with a pass. Against Jags we started empty (and I think Titans too, but not sure) and gave up a sack near the goal line that ended our drive before it started. I'm definitely much more confident with empty formation than I used to be, but that's mainly against bad defenses that run zone, not teams like the Ravens.
yeah, the empty set doesn't seem like a good idea in that situation... that one did backfire. Their secondary is pretty good, ok, very good.... with Stefanski, it never occurs to me to complain about the playcalling - I think he's brilliant at it.
yeah, the empty set doesn't seem like a good idea in that situation... that one did backfire. Their secondary is pretty good, ok, very good.... with Stefanski, it never occurs to me to complain about the playcalling - I think he's brilliant at it.
Oh, I think he's absolutely brilliant, too. Aside from playcalling, he's also extremely adept at clock management. We've become one of the top teams in scoring before half, and we've NEVER wasted a timeout. I mean I can't think of ONE time when we needed to use a timeout throughout any game this year? I can't think of any.
-
yeah, the empty set doesn't seem like a good idea in that situation... that one did backfire. Their secondary is pretty good, ok, very good.... with Stefanski, it never occurs to me to complain about the playcalling - I think he's brilliant at it.
Oh, I think he's absolutely brilliant, too. Aside from playcalling, he's also extremely adept at clock management. We've become one of the top teams in scoring before half, and we've NEVER wasted a timeout. I mean I can't think of ONE time when we needed to use a timeout throughout any game this year? I can't think of any.
Oh, I think he's absolutely brilliant, too. Aside from playcalling, he's also extremely adept at clock management. We've become one of the top teams in scoring before half, and we've NEVER wasted a timeout. I mean I can't think of ONE time when we needed to use a timeout throughout any game this year? I can't think of any.
I miss the good old Clueless-Hueless days when we fucked up clock management every f'n game.??
-
Oh, I think he's absolutely brilliant, too. Aside from playcalling, he's also extremely adept at clock management. We've become one of the top teams in scoring before half, and we've NEVER wasted a timeout. I mean I can't think of ONE time when we needed to use a timeout throughout any game this year? I can't think of any.
I miss the good old Clueless-Hueless days when we fucked up clock management every f'n game.??
I miss the good old Clueless-Hueless days when we fucked up clock management every f'n game.??
Freddie had some awesome clock management moments too...
-
Oh, I think he's absolutely brilliant, too. Aside from playcalling, he's also extremely adept at clock management. We've become one of the top teams in scoring before half, and we've NEVER wasted a timeout. I mean I can't think of ONE time when we needed to use a timeout throughout any game this year? I can't think of any.
I miss the good old Clueless-Hueless days when we fucked up clock management every f'n game.??
miss the good old Clueless-Hueless days when we fucked up clock management every f'n game.? ?
Freddie had some awesome clock management moments too...
Omg, you're not kidding. How many times did that bite us in the ass? Did we EVER score before half? The funny thing was that Freddie team had talent. We should have beaten both the Rams and Seahawks with a huge win in Baltimore, but no discipline or coaching intelligence.
-
It’s a real bummer the OSU vs Meatchicken game was canceled.
I was looking forward to see 2 Ohio teams beat both Harbaugh brothers in the same weekend.
It’s a real bummer the OSU vs Meatchicken game was canceled.
I was looking forward to see 2 Ohio teams beat both Harbaugh brothers in the same weekend.
All Michiganders breathed a sigh of relief when the news broke, I’m sure.
-
miss the good old Clueless-Hueless days when we fucked up clock management every f'n game.? ?
Freddie had some awesome clock management moments too...
Omg, you're not kidding. How many times did that bite us in the ass? Did we EVER score before half? The funny thing was that Freddie team had talent. We should have beaten both the Rams and Seahawks with a huge win in Baltimore, but no discipline or coaching intelligence.
Omg, you're not kidding. How many times did that bite us in the ass? Did we EVER score before half? The funny thing was that Freddie team had talent. We should have beaten both the Rams and Seahawks with a huge win in Baltimore, but no discipline or coaching intelligence.
Didn’t score before half then. Don’t score after half now ?
-
Omg, you're not kidding. How many times did that bite us in the ass? Did we EVER score before half? The funny thing was that Freddie team had talent. We should have beaten both the Rams and Seahawks with a huge win in Baltimore, but no discipline or coaching intelligence.
Didn’t score before half then. Don’t score after half now ?
Didn’t score before half then. Don’t score after half now ?
Well, there's some truth to that. Some of it is simply how games unfolded. When you have a big lead, you're not trying to score as much as you are trying to drain clock and be safe with the ball. I think we're still learning how to finish games, but we got a little better last week. Don't forget we were up 20 with 1:45 to go. We made late mistakes, and we'll learn from them.
We've also had a troubling amount of 3rd down drops in the second half, each one essentially a turnover of sorts. That shit can't happen if we're going to beat division teams. Remember that drop OBJ had against the Ravens week 1? Can't happen.
-
Didn’t score before half then. Don’t score after half now ?
Well, there's some truth to that. Some of it is simply how games unfolded. When you have a big lead, you're not trying to score as much as you are trying to drain clock and be safe with the ball. I think we're still learning how to finish games, but we got a little better last week. Don't forget we were up 20 with 1:45 to go. We made late mistakes, and we'll learn from them.
We've also had a troubling amount of 3rd down drops in the second half, each one essentially a turnover of sorts. That shit can't happen if we're going to beat division teams. Remember that drop OBJ had against the Ravens week 1? Can't happen.
Well, there's some truth to that. Some of it is simply how games unfolded. When you have a big lead, you're not trying to score as much as you are trying to drain clock and be safe with the ball. I think we're still learning how to finish games, but we got a little better last week. Don't forget we were up 20 with 1:45 to go. We made late mistakes, and we'll learn from them.
We've also had a troubling amount of 3rd down drops in the second half, each one essentially a turnover of sorts. That shit can't happen if we're going to beat division teams. Remember that drop OBJ had against the Ravens week 1? Can't happen.
YEP. Seems he was looking at defenders and not watching the ball in, bad mistake.
-
-
-
Not much different from Rats site after practice either... https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/who-s-playing-who-s-not-vs-browns-x0092
Would you not try some? up tempo/no huddle sets to trap some Rats from Rotating ?
-
Not much different from Rats site after practice either... https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/who-s-playing-who-s-not-vs-browns-x0092
Would you not try some? up tempo/no huddle sets to trap some Rats from Rotating ?
Would you not try some? up tempo/no huddle sets to trap some Rats from Rotating ?
Good question which I'll answer with one...
Since we run so many 12 and 13 packages, if we get into a 3rd and long, are you willing to go with either of those personnel groups?
Maybe in a 12 with Hunt on the field, but otherwise I'd think we'd want to do a lil subbing ourselves.
Of course it's not as iff we can go 5 WR with only 4 active...

-
Would you not try some? up tempo/no huddle sets to trap some Rats from Rotating ?
Good question which I'll answer with one...
Since we run so many 12 and 13 packages, if we get into a 3rd and long, are you willing to go with either of those personnel groups?
Maybe in a 12 with Hunt on the field, but otherwise I'd think we'd want to do a lil subbing ourselves.
Of course it's not as iff we can go 5 WR with only 4 active...

Good question which I'll answer with one... Good! Riddle me off 2 more ?
Maybe in a 12 with Hunt on the field, but otherwise I'd think we'd want to do a lil subbing ourselves.
1) I reviewed the tv broadcast twice.. I don't recall anything live, that would have put Hooper in a spot with having a neck injury..Am I missing something on the tv broadcast?
2) My Toledo Rocket-man Hunt?... Live!==There ain't noway Baker can see lil'Hunt over them DL trees, than over/under them titans LB'er trees ? in the middle.. I counted.. Once! Baker could have thrown Hunt open over the middle & under safety help..
NFL True Fact.... Defenses don't let guys get wide open... But man did Baker see a few coverage's that he lit up ? (more of that please!)
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login