Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Higgins Extension

Higgins Extension

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
4 Posts 3 Posters 397 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Ibleedbrown IbleedbrownI Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 5k Posts
    • 2k Reputation
    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #1

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chrismanning/2020/12/09/rashard-higgins-reportedly-talking-contract-extension-with-cleveland-browns/amp/

    I saw news about “talks” of a Higgins extension. It’s a fine idea if the price is right. It’s hard to say how much he wants. I think this is his second season playing for the vet minimum, and he’s been cut, put on the practice squad and had to prove himself to 3 different coaches here. You could argue he’s paid his dues and deserves a damn raise. 
     

    Per the above article he’s apparently a top 20 WR per PFF. I didn’t realize that. The whole “chemistry with Baker” thing seems to be legit too. 
     

    I was looking at stat breakdowns between Higgins and Landry the last 4 weeks. Here they be.

    Player: Plays/Stats

    Tits:

    Higgins: 49/6 catches, 95 yds, 1 TD

    Landry: 48/8 catches/62 yards, 1 TD, 1-1 for 6 yds

    Jags:

    Higgins: 41/1 catch, 16 yards

    Landry: 41/8 catches, 143 yards, 1 TD

    Eagles:

    Higgins: 40/3 catches, 65 yards

    Landry: 38/2 catches/23 yards, 1 carry, 3 yards

    Texans:

    Higgins: 38/3 catches, 48 yards

    Landry: 38/3 catches, 29 yards

    Outside of the Jags game, Higgins has been as productive as Landry in that time. Higgins is actually outsnapping Landry by a teensy bit. Is he number 1 receiver material? He’s arguably been filling that role the last 4 games, all of them wins.

    Tour2maT 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown

      https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chrismanning/2020/12/09/rashard-higgins-reportedly-talking-contract-extension-with-cleveland-browns/amp/

      I saw news about “talks” of a Higgins extension. It’s a fine idea if the price is right. It’s hard to say how much he wants. I think this is his second season playing for the vet minimum, and he’s been cut, put on the practice squad and had to prove himself to 3 different coaches here. You could argue he’s paid his dues and deserves a damn raise. 
       

      Per the above article he’s apparently a top 20 WR per PFF. I didn’t realize that. The whole “chemistry with Baker” thing seems to be legit too. 
       

      I was looking at stat breakdowns between Higgins and Landry the last 4 weeks. Here they be.

      Player: Plays/Stats

      Tits:

      Higgins: 49/6 catches, 95 yds, 1 TD

      Landry: 48/8 catches/62 yards, 1 TD, 1-1 for 6 yds

      Jags:

      Higgins: 41/1 catch, 16 yards

      Landry: 41/8 catches, 143 yards, 1 TD

      Eagles:

      Higgins: 40/3 catches, 65 yards

      Landry: 38/2 catches/23 yards, 1 carry, 3 yards

      Texans:

      Higgins: 38/3 catches, 48 yards

      Landry: 38/3 catches, 29 yards

      Outside of the Jags game, Higgins has been as productive as Landry in that time. Higgins is actually outsnapping Landry by a teensy bit. Is he number 1 receiver material? He’s arguably been filling that role the last 4 games, all of them wins.

      Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
      • 30k Posts
      • 6k Reputation
      Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
      #2

      @ibleedbrown said:

      Is he number 1 receiver material?

      Haven't seen that, but certainly a great #3 or a solid #2... Kinda reminds me of Sanu when he was a Falcon.

      Higgins simply doesn't make a #1 splash... doesn't have that "it" factor. Check out his YAC... a mere 48 yards on 25 catches. By contrast Landry has 267 on 54 catches.

      Here's the problem... he likely does not see himself as a #3. And that's all he ultimately will be in CLE. Stef's 2-TE preference plus Landry plus OBJ ensure that's all he can be. Add in Hodge, who impresses me more every time I see him, and Peeps, who is cheap for a couple more years, and... well... color me pessimistic.

      I like Higgins. I think he's good, but it's hard to see these negotiations being any more fruitful than the last round before the last-minute, 1-yr, $900k deal was struck.

      Maybe... maybe... a $2-3mm-ish base with incentives? But in even saying that I'm ignoring any cap considerations.

      "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
      IbleedbrownI 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Orion OrionO Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 9k Posts
        • 4k Reputation
        OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I hear Berry has called Kitchens for his advice on how much to offer Higgins.

        Higgins has been pressed into service because of the OBJ injury.  He's no where near the receiver that OBJ is, but he is doing what he did in his first year which is to catch the ball when it's thrown to him (almost always he will catch the catchable ball).

        This past offseason, when Higgins was bobbing about in the NFL waters, I was hoping that he would wind up back on the team because I wanted to see what Stefanski could do with him.  And the answer was, 'Nothing'.  He had OBJ, Landry and his TE's.  And Hodge would come in as WR3.  But whenever Stef or Van Pelt was asked about him they always said how happy they were that he was here.  How he was working hard.   How he was doing everything asked of him and doing it well.  He had a good attitude......but yet he couldn't find the field.  

        I had envisioned OBJ, Higgins, and Landry in the slot.  But Stef prefers Landry outside and Hodge in the slot, if he's not using multiple TE's.

        ...I said that I wanted to see the Red Carpet treatment before the start of the Titans game.  Glad to hear they want to sign him.  I hope he signs and everyone lives happily ever after.

        BEING A BROWNS FAN IS A TEST TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Tour2maT Tour2ma

          @ibleedbrown said:

          Is he number 1 receiver material?

          Haven't seen that, but certainly a great #3 or a solid #2... Kinda reminds me of Sanu when he was a Falcon.

          Higgins simply doesn't make a #1 splash... doesn't have that "it" factor. Check out his YAC... a mere 48 yards on 25 catches. By contrast Landry has 267 on 54 catches.

          Here's the problem... he likely does not see himself as a #3. And that's all he ultimately will be in CLE. Stef's 2-TE preference plus Landry plus OBJ ensure that's all he can be. Add in Hodge, who impresses me more every time I see him, and Peeps, who is cheap for a couple more years, and... well... color me pessimistic.

          I like Higgins. I think he's good, but it's hard to see these negotiations being any more fruitful than the last round before the last-minute, 1-yr, $900k deal was struck.

          Maybe... maybe... a $2-3mm-ish base with incentives? But in even saying that I'm ignoring any cap considerations.

          Ibleedbrown IbleedbrownI Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 5k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @tour2ma said:

          Haven't seen that, but certainly a great #3 or a solid #2... Kinda reminds me of Sanu when he was a Falcon.

          Higgins simply doesn't make a #1 splash... doesn't have that "it" factor. Check out his YAC... a mere 48 yards on 25 catches. By contrast Landry has 267 on 54 catches.

          Here's the problem... he likely does not see himself as a #3. And that's all he ultimately will be in CLE. Stef's 2-TE preference plus Landry plus OBJ ensure that's all he can be. Add in Hodge, who impresses me more every time I see him, and Peeps, who is cheap for a couple more years, and... well... color me pessimistic.

          I like Higgins. I think he's good, but it's hard to see these negotiations being any more fruitful than the last round before the last-minute, 1-yr, $900k deal was struck.

          Maybe... maybe... a $2-3mm-ish base with incentives? But in even saying that I'm ignoring any cap considerations.

          Good points. Not to go all Icecube on you, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the team takes a hard look at the $ to WR ratio and one of OBJ or Landry don’t make it next year, and l would bank on it being OBJ.

          I didn’t include Hodge in the stat breakdown above, but he actually outsnapped both Higgins and Landry in one of the games above. He has looked good at times. I just looked up his contract status and it appears he’s a RFA after this year, so who knows what will happen with him.
           

          If OBJ doesn’t make it, Higgins would at least be a reliable guy in the mix. I see Landry as the rock of the WR room.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply

          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

          Register Login
          Reply
          • Reply as topic
          Log in to reply
          • Oldest to Newest
          • Newest to Oldest
          • Most Votes


          Theme
          • System
          • Light
          • Dark
          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

          • First post
            Last post
          0
          • Forums
          • Recent
          • Popular
          • Users
          • Donate