Skip to content

**** Ravens at Browns Gameday thread

The Browns Board
238 43 6.7k 1
  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes,  all true,   nevertheless,  as far as I am concerned there could have been a few simple moves this FO could have made to have improved this defense.   Yes, that would have meant bringing in some veterans and paying them something. (especially when the injuries began mounting up).     But when you do have a playoff contender,  even one that could go somewhere in the playoffs like we could maybe, I think you do whatever you should to see the team to its fruition to do the best by them and the fans as you can. 

    gip......we neee defense....defense....defense.....defense wins games....you need offense also....but defense wins games....and i agree, the fo coulp have done something about it....no doubt.....and don't count you r chickens just yet.....the gints game will not be a pushover game for us....why.....we have no defense and jones can pick us apart...and guess what,,,,,the gints are playing great d.....scares the shit out of me...game we should win but..........

    @browns52 said:

    gip......we neee defense....defense....defense.....defense wins games....you need offense also....but defense wins games....and i agree, the fo coulp have done something about it....no doubt.....and don't count you r chickens just yet.....the gints game will not be a pushover game for us....why.....we have no defense and jones can pick us apart...and guess what,,,,,the gints are playing great d.....scares the shit out of me...game we should win but..........

    I am not sure how that is responsive to what I wrote.  Yes, we need defense, and I am saying there were some veteran leaders on defense that have been out there walking the street that we could have had at our positions of most dire need.  I am specifically talking Clay Mathews and Earl Thomas.  Yes, aging stars.....but veteran leaders who could have been far superior to some of the detritus we have had at their positions. 

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I'm really struggling with our defense.
     

    And you know what? I can't think of any excuse good enough for giving up that 3rd and 10 to the backup. That WAS the game. 

    Let me ask you something else. When is the last time our defense actually stopped someone to win a game? Don't say Jacksonville. 

    Let's I'm proud of our offense, our coach, and our QB. But I don't think anyone on our defense can look in the mirror this morning. Ravens haven't scored this many points since the LAST time they beat us. Have some damn pride defense. 

    Lamar was making the types of plays that a typical quarterback has ZERO business making. Our defense simply isn’t equipped, in its current state, to stop such a player. Most teams can’t stop LJ. We need players like Delpit and run stopping LBs to slow down that offense.

    The 3rd and 10 was a good play by the offense. Good read, throw, and catch.


    The defense played very well last week, creating turnovers and containing Derrick Henry. 
     

    Losing sucks, I get it.. especially to the Ratbirds.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Lamar was making the types of plays that a typical quarterback has ZERO business making. Our defense simply isn’t equipped, in its current state, to stop such a player. Most teams can’t stop LJ. We need players like Delpit and run stopping LBs to slow down that offense.

    The 3rd and 10 was a good play by the offense. Good read, throw, and catch.


    The defense played very well last week, creating turnovers and containing Derrick Henry. 
     

    Losing sucks, I get it.. especially to the Ratbirds.

    Yeah right, only allowed 28 points in the 2nd half.

  • Ball security...anyone else hope we're working on that this week? If I'm the Giants, I'm preaching all week long to get that ball out. Good lord we couldn't keep the damn ball safe. We are the better team, but the biggest equalizer in NFL football is the turnover margin. 

  • Not enough love being shown to Money Mitch.  He's done pretty decent for being shoved into a #1 and #2 corner role.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Not enough love being shown to Money Mitch.  He's done pretty decent for being shoved into a #1 and #2 corner role.

    He may get paid too.  Weak CB free agent class.  

  • @browns52 said:

    gip......we neee defense....defense....defense.....defense wins games....you need offense also....but defense wins games....and i agree, the fo coulp have done something about it....no doubt.....and don't count you r chickens just yet.....the gints game will not be a pushover game for us....why.....we have no defense and jones can pick us apart...and guess what,,,,,the gints are playing great d.....scares the shit out of me...game we should win but..........

    I am not sure how that is responsive to what I wrote.  Yes, we need defense, and I am saying there were some veteran leaders on defense that have been out there walking the street that we could have had at our positions of most dire need.  I am specifically talking Clay Mathews and Earl Thomas.  Yes, aging stars.....but veteran leaders who could have been far superior to some of the detritus we have had at their positions. 

    @the-gipper said:

    I am not sure how that is responsive to what I wrote.  Yes, we need defense, and I am saying there were some veteran leaders on defense that have been out there walking the street that we could have had at our positions of most dire need.  I am specifically talking Clay Mathews and Earl Thomas.  Yes, aging stars.....but veteran leaders who could have been far superior to some of the detritus we have had at their positions. 

    yes it does apply to what you wrote...you said the fo could have done a better job with trying to get some fa's on d...i just built it up a little as to what you were saying...i totally agree as to what you said about the fo....

  • @nero said:

    - Defensive gameplan. What Lamar did in the first half is simply unacceptable. I said before the game: keep him in the pocket, make him win us with his arm. He ran for 1000 miles and they rushed for 2000 yards. 

    I'm really struggling with our defense. I want to be realistic because we're so injured, but who isn't? Ward always misses big games every year. We don't have a single linebacker who will play next year except possibly Taki on run downs. Everyone else is toast. And you know what? I can't think of any excuse good enough for giving up that 3rd and 10 to the backup. That WAS the game. 

    Let me ask you something else. When is the last time our defense actually stopped someone to win a game? Don't say Jacksonville. They gave up yet another TD to Mike Glennon. MIKE GLENNON. Look at Dallas and Tennessee games. The only reason we won is because of our offense. If we can play keep away, we can win. If we're expecting our defense to win the game, good luck with that. We give up more game tying or game losing drives in the 4th quarter than anyone I can remember. The Bengals game? How about BOTH of them. 

    Let's focus on last night. Look at before the half...our offense shits the bed and needs help. Just hold them to 3 we said (a punt was obviously not going to happen). Nope. They score a TD on the worst defense in recorded history. How about the last part of the 4th quarter? Nope. They gave up how many drives in the final minutes? Jesus man, someone make a play. The offense can't bail you out EVERY time. 

    I'm proud of our offense, our coach, and our QB. But I don't think anyone on our defense can look in the mirror this morning. Ravens haven't scored this many points since the LAST time they beat us. Have some damn pride defense. 

    OK...I'm feeling better. Thanks for the vent! 

    Go Brownies! Stay mad, stay angry, and beat the shit out of the Giants. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I'm really struggling with our defense. I want to be realistic because we're so injured, but who isn't? Ward always misses big games every year. We don't have a single linebacker who will play next year except possibly Taki on run downs. Everyone else is toast. And you know what? I can't think of any excuse good enough for giving up that 3rd and 10 to the backup. That WAS the game. 

    Let me ask you something else. When is the last time our defense actually stopped someone to win a game? Don't say Jacksonville. They gave up yet another TD to Mike Glennon. MIKE GLENNON. Look at Dallas and Tennessee games. The only reason we won is because of our offense. If we can play keep away, we can win. If we're expecting our defense to win the game, good luck with that. We give up more game tying or game losing drives in the 4th quarter than anyone I can remember. The Bengals game? How about BOTH of them. 

    Let's focus on last night. Look at before the half...our offense shits the bed and needs help. Just hold them to 3 we said (a punt was obviously not going to happen). Nope. They score a TD on the worst defense in recorded history. How about the last part of the 4th quarter? Nope. They gave up how many drives in the final minutes? Jesus man, someone make a play. The offense can't bail you out EVERY time. 

    I'm proud of our offense, our coach, and our QB. But I don't think anyone on our defense can look in the mirror this morning. Ravens haven't scored this many points since the LAST time they beat us. Have some damn pride defense. 

    OK...I'm feeling better. Thanks for the vent! 

    Go Brownies! Stay mad, stay angry, and beat the shit out of the Giants. 

    i knew when there backup made that 3rd and 10 it was over.....that is why the browns better watch out for daniel jones this week....he could slice and dice this defense up like a butcher.....there game plan should be pass pass pass....

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I'm really struggling with our defense. I want to be realistic because we're so injured, but who isn't? Ward always misses big games every year. We don't have a single linebacker who will play next year except possibly Taki on run downs. Everyone else is toast. And you know what? I can't think of any excuse good enough for giving up that 3rd and 10 to the backup. That WAS the game. 

    Let me ask you something else. When is the last time our defense actually stopped someone to win a game? Don't say Jacksonville. They gave up yet another TD to Mike Glennon. MIKE GLENNON. Look at Dallas and Tennessee games. The only reason we won is because of our offense. If we can play keep away, we can win. If we're expecting our defense to win the game, good luck with that. We give up more game tying or game losing drives in the 4th quarter than anyone I can remember. The Bengals game? How about BOTH of them. 

    Let's focus on last night. Look at before the half...our offense shits the bed and needs help. Just hold them to 3 we said (a punt was obviously not going to happen). Nope. They score a TD on the worst defense in recorded history. How about the last part of the 4th quarter? Nope. They gave up how many drives in the final minutes? Jesus man, someone make a play. The offense can't bail you out EVERY time. 

    I'm proud of our offense, our coach, and our QB. But I don't think anyone on our defense can look in the mirror this morning. Ravens haven't scored this many points since the LAST time they beat us. Have some damn pride defense. 

    OK...I'm feeling better. Thanks for the vent! 

    Go Brownies! Stay mad, stay angry, and beat the shit out of the Giants. 

    i knew when there backup made that 3rd and 10 it was over.....that is why the browns better watch out for daniel jones this week....he could slice and dice this defense up like a butcher.....there game plan should be pass pass pass....

    @browns52 said:

    i knew when there backup made that 3rd and 10 it was over.....that is why the browns better watch out for daniel jones this week....he could slice and dice this defense up like a butcher.....there game plan should be pass pass pass....

    oh and by the way, my high school team could probably drive 80 yds in three plays like most teams do against this pos defense....

  • N Neo

    @hx214 said:

    Always one play away....

    We need new linebackers and plenty of them. Probably need to draft another freaking CB if Greedy and Ward can't stay on the field for these kinda games.

    Good thing is.... that short list makes them a really tough team. It's nice to have a short list instead of the 10 foot long one we usually have.

    I don't think anyone wants to say this because he is easily the best coach we've had in decades, but Stefanski deserves some heat for this game too. I thought he made some good calls throughout the game, but the overall gameplan was terrible. You need to keep their offense off the field as much as possible, throwing early into their good secondary plays right into their hands. We don't really have a playmaker at WR other than Landry, so I guess now you see the value of Beckham. Baker is not a quarterback that is going to carve up a defense. He has made some strides but he is still not there yet. That near pick 6 was atrocious. 

    @neo said:

    I don't think anyone wants to say this because he is easily the best coach we've had in decades, but Stefanski deserves some heat for this game too. I thought he made some good calls throughout the game, but the overall gameplan was terrible. You need to keep their offense off the field as much as possible, throwing early into their good secondary plays right into their hands. We don't really have a playmaker at WR other than Landry, so I guess now you see the value of Beckham. Baker is not a quarterback that is going to carve up a defense. He has made some strides but he is still not there yet. That near pick 6 was atrocious. 

    Very good post.  As for the part in bold above - here's my take.  Baker carved up that defense yesterday so I think we can forgive his 1st INT in the last 5 games. Don't forget this team was down 28-14 late in the 3rd quarter.   I thought he played well under pressure.

  • @nero said:

    I don't remember having heard the name Mack Wilson announced last night in the whole game. At least Takitaki did some tackles for loss IIRC.

    The missed tackle didn’t aggravate me.  It was the sloppy effort on the play where Dobbins had like 10-12 yard gain where Mack kinda gave it a HS try and put out a weak tackle attempt.

    Mack Wilson has been all bark no bite...doesn’t have consistent effort play to play 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The missed tackle didn’t aggravate me.  It was the sloppy effort on the play where Dobbins had like 10-12 yard gain where Mack kinda gave it a HS try and put out a weak tackle attempt.

    Mack Wilson has been all bark no bite...doesn’t have consistent effort play to play 

    yeah, i disappointed in wilson....thought he would be better....

  • AxeA Axe

    Y'know? A turnover/take away would be really cool 😉

    @axe said:

    Y'know? A turnover/take away would be really cool 😉

    the only turnovers our secondary or lb's get are the ones at your local supermarket...

  • N Neo

    I think it's obvious that we need Beckham back. Beckham is our #1, Higgins can be or #2 and Landry in the slot because he has the knack for getting open and he catches everything.

    @neo said:

    I think it's obvious that we need Beckham back. Beckham is our #1, Higgins can be or #2 and Landry in the slot because he has the knack for getting open and he catches everything.

    I have said that same thing about liking Landry in the slot.  Like a Wes Welker, or his replacement Eddleman.  Not having OBJ makes Landry & Higgins (or Hodge) to be covered by more talented DB's.  

    ----------

    I think both teams put everything they had into that game.  It was a really good game.  It would've been a great game...had we won.  But both teams deserved to win.

    Our team is not perfect.  Our defense is not good enough...and it's decimated with injuries.  But isn't this a hell-of-a-lot better than when we were hoping to win 16 - 10?  Because we had a bum QB with a bum OL?  Gimme a good offense first...so I can enjoy the games...then build a championship defense.

  • @neo said:

    I don't think anyone wants to say this because he is easily the best coach we've had in decades, but Stefanski deserves some heat for this game too. I thought he made some good calls throughout the game, but the overall gameplan was terrible. You need to keep their offense off the field as much as possible, throwing early into their good secondary plays right into their hands. We don't really have a playmaker at WR other than Landry, so I guess now you see the value of Beckham. Baker is not a quarterback that is going to carve up a defense. He has made some strides but he is still not there yet. That near pick 6 was atrocious. 

    Very good post.  As for the part in bold above - here's my take.  Baker carved up that defense yesterday so I think we can forgive his 1st INT in the last 5 games. Don't forget this team was down 28-14 late in the 3rd quarter.   I thought he played well under pressure.

    @flugel said:

    Very good post.  As for the part in bold above - here's my take.  Baker carved up that defense yesterday so I think we can forgive his 1st INT in the last 5 games. Don't forget this team was down 28-14 late in the 3rd quarter.   I thought he played well under pressure.

    And didn't he carve up the Titans defense the week before...to the tune of 4 TD passes in a single half?

  • We need a new D coordinator.  I was excited about the hire but just had all the wrong moves this year sorry.

    spin this anyway you want it.  The game was lost when we played man coverage and had our backs turned to Jackson 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    We need a new D coordinator.  I was excited about the hire but just had all the wrong moves this year sorry.

    spin this anyway you want it.  The game was lost when we played man coverage and had our backs turned to Jackson 

    why didnt we stay in zone ? for fucks sake 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    We need a new D coordinator.  I was excited about the hire but just had all the wrong moves this year sorry.

    spin this anyway you want it.  The game was lost when we played man coverage and had our backs turned to Jackson 

    why didnt we stay in zone ? for fucks sake 

    @atom said:

    why didnt we stay in zone ? for fucks sake 

    He’s getting a pass because of the talent on that side of the ball. 

  • Not enough love being shown to Money Mitch.  He's done pretty decent for being shoved into a #1 and #2 corner role.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Not enough love being shown to Money Mitch.  He's done pretty decent for being shoved into a #1 and #2 corner role.


    Here, here...

    I'm also growing fonder of Goodson. Seems to be improving week to week. Like Mitchell he's a UFA in 2021. Also like Mitchell he's high on our D's snap percentage list. Goodson has been onfield for 89.5% of the snaps. Mitchell leads the D at 99.2%.

    He's one of two LBs I'd like to see resigned with the other being Smith who just seems like a solid vet and the kind of guy you'd want in your LB room.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Not enough love being shown to Money Mitch.  He's done pretty decent for being shoved into a #1 and #2 corner role.


    Here, here...

    I'm also growing fonder of Goodson. Seems to be improving week to week. Like Mitchell he's a UFA in 2021. Also like Mitchell he's high on our D's snap percentage list. Goodson has been onfield for 89.5% of the snaps. Mitchell leads the D at 99.2%.

    He's one of two LBs I'd like to see resigned with the other being Smith who just seems like a solid vet and the kind of guy you'd want in your LB room.

    @tour2ma said:


    Here, here...

    I'm also growing fonder of Goodson. Seems to be improving week to week. Like Mitchell he's a UFA in 2021. Also like Mitchell he's high on our D's snap percentage list. Goodson has been onfield for 89.5% of the snaps. Mitchell leads the D at 99.2%.

    He's one of two LBs I'd like to see resigned with the other being Smith who just seems like a solid vet and the kind of guy you'd want in your LB room.

    Smith Goodson Taki Wilson...is the plan to bring them all back?  My hope is a starter is found in free agency and another is found Day 1 or 2 of the draft. 

  • @neo said:

    I don't think anyone wants to say this because he is easily the best coach we've had in decades, but Stefanski deserves some heat for this game too. I thought he made some good calls throughout the game, but the overall gameplan was terrible. You need to keep their offense off the field as much as possible, throwing early into their good secondary plays right into their hands. We don't really have a playmaker at WR other than Landry, so I guess now you see the value of Beckham. Baker is not a quarterback that is going to carve up a defense. He has made some strides but he is still not there yet. That near pick 6 was atrocious. 

    Very good post.  As for the part in bold above - here's my take.  Baker carved up that defense yesterday so I think we can forgive his 1st INT in the last 5 games. Don't forget this team was down 28-14 late in the 3rd quarter.   I thought he played well under pressure.

    @flugel said:

    Very good post.  As for the part in bold above - here's my take.  Baker carved up that defense yesterday so I think we can forgive his 1st INT in the last 5 games. Don't forget this team was down 28-14 late in the 3rd quarter.   I thought he played well under pressure.

    That pick lead directly to 7 points. I have been patient with Baker, this is still a young football team and I think they are very close to announcing themselves to the rest of the NFL, but not yet. We need Beckham back and healthy and Hooper back and healthy to see how all these pieces fit together. I think Baker has the best chemistry with Landry 1st, Higgins 2nd. It'll be interesting to see if Odell can fit in, I just don't think he has a large body of work to determine that yet.

  • @tour2ma said:


    Here, here...

    I'm also growing fonder of Goodson. Seems to be improving week to week. Like Mitchell he's a UFA in 2021. Also like Mitchell he's high on our D's snap percentage list. Goodson has been onfield for 89.5% of the snaps. Mitchell leads the D at 99.2%.

    He's one of two LBs I'd like to see resigned with the other being Smith who just seems like a solid vet and the kind of guy you'd want in your LB room.

    Smith Goodson Taki Wilson...is the plan to bring them all back?  My hope is a starter is found in free agency and another is found Day 1 or 2 of the draft. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Smith Goodson Taki Wilson...is the plan to bring them all back?  My hope is a starter is found in free agency and another is found Day 1 or 2 of the draft. 

    From what i've heard,  we have a ton of cap space, let's see of there are any playmakers available in FA this year.

  • Jesus... I just don't get some of you...

    Gents... we just went toe to toe with a team that beat us senseless a mere 3 months ago.

    Stop and think about that for a minute. If that is not cause for optimism, then I don't know what is.

    Yes.. for the umpteenth time... yes, our D is not good. This is not news. Suck it the fuck up and know that as sure as our FO addressed the Offense in 2020, that they will address the D in 2021. As I believe I may have mentioned a time or two (or twelve)... you cannot fix everything in one year. Until then revel in the play of our front four.

    For now we have to engage in shootouts because we don't have the D to avoid them and we haven't done badly in them in 2020. I believe Nero pointed out we are a more complete Offense than we have been since the 80s... we run... we screen... we short, medium and deep pass, and all that is without a WR who can take the top off a Defense. As others have pointed out, that guy is hurt. Other than that about all we are missing is full TE involvement. I'm still looking for that seam attack. Almost saw it to Njoku last nite, but pass was just out of reach.

    I'm proud of this team.

    @tour2ma said:

    Jesus... I just don't get some of you...

    Gents... we just went toe to toe with a team that beat us senseless a mere 3 months ago.

    I'm not saying I'm unhappy, but we are this close to finally being able to put the past behind us and have teams fear us for years to come. We went toe to toe with them but I don't enjoy second place. All the stuff I have been critical about is all fixable. The overall gameplan vs the Ravens was terrible. This is the AFC North, this team needs to buckle their chin straps put it to the other team. We passed WAY more than I was comfortable with when you have a two headed monster like Chubb and Hunt. You don't always have to break long runs with the run game for it to be effective. All we needed was to stay ahead of the chains and keep their offense off the field. Once I seen the way they were approaching the game, I knew it was going to be a long night. Stefanski did make some good calls though, going for it when he did, challenging that one play when he did, playing the game within the game with the Ravens players getting on and off the field. 

    I have faith they will get it figured out. I think the team trusts him. 

  • N Neo

    @tour2ma said:

    Jesus... I just don't get some of you...

    Gents... we just went toe to toe with a team that beat us senseless a mere 3 months ago.

    I'm not saying I'm unhappy, but we are this close to finally being able to put the past behind us and have teams fear us for years to come. We went toe to toe with them but I don't enjoy second place. All the stuff I have been critical about is all fixable. The overall gameplan vs the Ravens was terrible. This is the AFC North, this team needs to buckle their chin straps put it to the other team. We passed WAY more than I was comfortable with when you have a two headed monster like Chubb and Hunt. You don't always have to break long runs with the run game for it to be effective. All we needed was to stay ahead of the chains and keep their offense off the field. Once I seen the way they were approaching the game, I knew it was going to be a long night. Stefanski did make some good calls though, going for it when he did, challenging that one play when he did, playing the game within the game with the Ravens players getting on and off the field. 

    I have faith they will get it figured out. I think the team trusts him. 

    @neo said:

    I'm not saying I'm unhappy, but we are this close to finally being able to put the past behind us and have teams fear us for years to come. We went toe to toe with them but I don't enjoy second place. All the stuff I have been critical about is all fixable. The overall gameplan vs the Ravens was terrible. This is the AFC North, this team needs to buckle their chin straps put it to the other team. We passed WAY more than I was comfortable with when you have a two headed monster like Chubb and Hunt. You don't always have to break long runs with the run game for it to be effective. All we needed was to stay ahead of the chains and keep their offense off the field. Once I seen the way they were approaching the game, I knew it was going to be a long night. Stefanski did make some good calls though, going for it when he did, challenging that one play when he did, playing the game within the game with the Ravens players getting on and off the field. 

    I have faith they will get it figured out. I think the team trusts him. 

    Well...I think the score dictated some of the game plan.  When you get 14 points behind, usually you have to throw more to try to catch up.  Well...that worked.  

    Now, if you are talking about their Defensive game plan....that indeed was not something to be comfortable with.