Skip to content

**** Ravens at Browns Gameday thread

The Browns Board
238 43 6.7k 1
  • N Neo

    @tour2ma said:

    Jesus... I just don't get some of you...

    Gents... we just went toe to toe with a team that beat us senseless a mere 3 months ago.

    I'm not saying I'm unhappy, but we are this close to finally being able to put the past behind us and have teams fear us for years to come. We went toe to toe with them but I don't enjoy second place. All the stuff I have been critical about is all fixable. The overall gameplan vs the Ravens was terrible. This is the AFC North, this team needs to buckle their chin straps put it to the other team. We passed WAY more than I was comfortable with when you have a two headed monster like Chubb and Hunt. You don't always have to break long runs with the run game for it to be effective. All we needed was to stay ahead of the chains and keep their offense off the field. Once I seen the way they were approaching the game, I knew it was going to be a long night. Stefanski did make some good calls though, going for it when he did, challenging that one play when he did, playing the game within the game with the Ravens players getting on and off the field. 

    I have faith they will get it figured out. I think the team trusts him. 

    @neo said:

    I'm not saying I'm unhappy, but we are this close to finally being able to put the past behind us and have teams fear us for years to come. We went toe to toe with them but I don't enjoy second place. All the stuff I have been critical about is all fixable. The overall gameplan vs the Ravens was terrible. This is the AFC North, this team needs to buckle their chin straps put it to the other team. We passed WAY more than I was comfortable with when you have a two headed monster like Chubb and Hunt. You don't always have to break long runs with the run game for it to be effective. All we needed was to stay ahead of the chains and keep their offense off the field. Once I seen the way they were approaching the game, I knew it was going to be a long night. Stefanski did make some good calls though, going for it when he did, challenging that one play when he did, playing the game within the game with the Ravens players getting on and off the field. 

    I have faith they will get it figured out. I think the team trusts him. 

    Well...I think the score dictated some of the game plan.  When you get 14 points behind, usually you have to throw more to try to catch up.  Well...that worked.  

    Now, if you are talking about their Defensive game plan....that indeed was not something to be comfortable with. 

  • N Neo

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Smith Goodson Taki Wilson...is the plan to bring them all back?  My hope is a starter is found in free agency and another is found Day 1 or 2 of the draft. 

    From what i've heard,  we have a ton of cap space, let's see of there are any playmakers available in FA this year.

    @neo said:

    From what i've heard,  we have a ton of cap space

    We do NOT have long-term cap space. It's misinformation to state that we do.  Each time ESPN shows a graphic with that number.. it's wrong.

    [Misinformation is when the person asserting the information is wrong but is unaware they're wrong; Disinformation is a deliberate attempt to spread false info]

    2020 Browns cap liabilities [salary]: $198,199,046.  2020 salary cap: 198,200,000.  Gap: $954.. aka the cost of fixing the starter on the Browns team bus.

    The "cap space" as listed is the one-year accounting relic from our years of being under.  Key concept: nothing gets fixed long-term on one or two 1-yr deals.  As well, the 2021 cap hasn't been set yet - and could be a decrease , down to 175M.

    Let's say you want to sign a LB and a DB for next season.  They're good players and so both want 10M/yr for 3 years.  Next year: Great! Done!  Two years from now, we'd be 10M over [The 30M is all one-year so in this example we used 20 of the 30 in 2021 but added 20M to salary liabilities for 22,23] and have both Ward and Chubb to resign.  This is why I've been saying on many threads that we need to think about the "cap" as just a vehicle for the bonus to resign the players we draft who turn out to be good -- the player looks at the total $$ but the "cap" number would be lower if more was a bonus.

  • @neo said:

    From what i've heard,  we have a ton of cap space

    We do NOT have long-term cap space. It's misinformation to state that we do.  Each time ESPN shows a graphic with that number.. it's wrong.

    [Misinformation is when the person asserting the information is wrong but is unaware they're wrong; Disinformation is a deliberate attempt to spread false info]

    2020 Browns cap liabilities [salary]: $198,199,046.  2020 salary cap: 198,200,000.  Gap: $954.. aka the cost of fixing the starter on the Browns team bus.

    The "cap space" as listed is the one-year accounting relic from our years of being under.  Key concept: nothing gets fixed long-term on one or two 1-yr deals.  As well, the 2021 cap hasn't been set yet - and could be a decrease , down to 175M.

    Let's say you want to sign a LB and a DB for next season.  They're good players and so both want 10M/yr for 3 years.  Next year: Great! Done!  Two years from now, we'd be 10M over [The 30M is all one-year so in this example we used 20 of the 30 in 2021 but added 20M to salary liabilities for 22,23] and have both Ward and Chubb to resign.  This is why I've been saying on many threads that we need to think about the "cap" as just a vehicle for the bonus to resign the players we draft who turn out to be good -- the player looks at the total $$ but the "cap" number would be lower if more was a bonus.

    @unsympathetic said:

    We do NOT have long-term cap space. It's misinformation to state that we do.  Each time ESPN shows a graphic with that number.. it's wrong.

    [Misinformation is when the person asserting the information is wrong but is unaware they're wrong; Disinformation is a deliberate attempt to spread false info]

    2020 Browns cap liabilities [salary]: $198,199,046.  2020 salary cap: 198,200,000.  Gap: $954.. aka the cost of fixing the starter on the Browns team bus.

    The "cap space" as listed is the one-year accounting relic from our years of being under.  Key concept: nothing gets fixed long-term on one or two 1-yr deals.  As well, the 2021 cap hasn't been set yet - and could be a decrease , down to 175M.

    Let's say you want to sign a LB and a DB for next season.  They're good players and so both want 10M/yr for 3 years.  Next year: Great! Done!  Two years from now, we'd be 10M over [The 30M is all one-year so in this example we used 20 of the 30 in 2021 but added 20M to salary liabilities for 22,23] and have both Ward and Chubb to resign.  This is why I've been saying on many threads that we need to think about the "cap" as just a vehicle for the bonus to resign the players we draft who turn out to be good -- the player looks at the total $$ but the "cap" number would be lower if more was a bonus.

    If that is the case, then why is that not reported for all teams that way?  Why are they always reporting what you say basically are mirage numbers?  I mean, if you know about this, then why don't the networks, the league, the teams know about it? 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I talked with Flugel this morning and we both agree that we are damn sure finally becoming a real NFL team that fights to the very end and that if we fix the things in the off season in the D the way we fixed the O, this will be a great team in the long run. We finally have this thing turned around top to bottom in coaching, FO and players' attitudes towards being great. And our best players are finally going to want to stay. They can fell it!!?

    You know what I especially loved, guys? How we fought BACK. There were a couple times where we could have folded and packed it in, but we never did. How about the 4th down TD to Higgins? That was some big nuts type of shit. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    You know what I especially loved, guys? How we fought BACK.

    Unlike some people who left the Tavern in the beginning of the 3rd quarter... 

  • NFL Films@NFLFilms
    "That's one of the greatest games in history right there."

    Postgame reactions from the game of the year. 🔊

    @bakermayfield | @LJ_era8
  • N Neo

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Smith Goodson Taki Wilson...is the plan to bring them all back?  My hope is a starter is found in free agency and another is found Day 1 or 2 of the draft. 

    From what i've heard,  we have a ton of cap space, let's see of there are any playmakers available in FA this year.

    @neo said:

    From what i've heard,  we have a ton of cap space, let's see of there are any playmakers available in FA this year.

    If we go splurge on a playmaker this offseason you can say goodbye to 2 of the 3 chubb, baker, and ward unless they were to give us a huge discount. Yes we have about 30 million in cap space but it is roll-over cap which is generally used to resign your young players who deserve it. It is also used sometimes to make a splash signing when your championship window is large and your young talented guys still have a multiple years on their contract. Essentially if we spend all our rollover cap this offseason (I doubt we do) it would indicate we are all in for that 1 upcoming year.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    We do NOT have long-term cap space. It's misinformation to state that we do.  Each time ESPN shows a graphic with that number.. it's wrong.

    [Misinformation is when the person asserting the information is wrong but is unaware they're wrong; Disinformation is a deliberate attempt to spread false info]

    2020 Browns cap liabilities [salary]: $198,199,046.  2020 salary cap: 198,200,000.  Gap: $954.. aka the cost of fixing the starter on the Browns team bus.

    The "cap space" as listed is the one-year accounting relic from our years of being under.  Key concept: nothing gets fixed long-term on one or two 1-yr deals.  As well, the 2021 cap hasn't been set yet - and could be a decrease , down to 175M.

    Let's say you want to sign a LB and a DB for next season.  They're good players and so both want 10M/yr for 3 years.  Next year: Great! Done!  Two years from now, we'd be 10M over [The 30M is all one-year so in this example we used 20 of the 30 in 2021 but added 20M to salary liabilities for 22,23] and have both Ward and Chubb to resign.  This is why I've been saying on many threads that we need to think about the "cap" as just a vehicle for the bonus to resign the players we draft who turn out to be good -- the player looks at the total $$ but the "cap" number would be lower if more was a bonus.

    If that is the case, then why is that not reported for all teams that way?  Why are they always reporting what you say basically are mirage numbers?  I mean, if you know about this, then why don't the networks, the league, the teams know about it? 

    @the-gipper said:

    If that is the case, then why is that not reported for all teams that way?  Why are they always reporting what you say basically are mirage numbers?  I mean, if you know about this, then why don't the networks, the league, the teams know about it? 

    The teams and the league do know about it.  If you do some research on cap space and rollover cap it will make a ton of sense to you.  However I believe I've seen you argue about rollover cap multiple times so it doesn't seem you want to learn it. 

  • @neo said:

    From what i've heard,  we have a ton of cap space

    We do NOT have long-term cap space. It's misinformation to state that we do.  Each time ESPN shows a graphic with that number.. it's wrong.

    [Misinformation is when the person asserting the information is wrong but is unaware they're wrong; Disinformation is a deliberate attempt to spread false info]

    2020 Browns cap liabilities [salary]: $198,199,046.  2020 salary cap: 198,200,000.  Gap: $954.. aka the cost of fixing the starter on the Browns team bus.

    The "cap space" as listed is the one-year accounting relic from our years of being under.  Key concept: nothing gets fixed long-term on one or two 1-yr deals.  As well, the 2021 cap hasn't been set yet - and could be a decrease , down to 175M.

    Let's say you want to sign a LB and a DB for next season.  They're good players and so both want 10M/yr for 3 years.  Next year: Great! Done!  Two years from now, we'd be 10M over [The 30M is all one-year so in this example we used 20 of the 30 in 2021 but added 20M to salary liabilities for 22,23] and have both Ward and Chubb to resign.  This is why I've been saying on many threads that we need to think about the "cap" as just a vehicle for the bonus to resign the players we draft who turn out to be good -- the player looks at the total $$ but the "cap" number would be lower if more was a bonus.

    @unsympathetic said:

    We do NOT have long-term cap space. It's misinformation to state that we do.  Each time ESPN shows a graphic with that number.. it's wrong.

    [Misinformation is when the person asserting the information is wrong but is unaware they're wrong; Disinformation is a deliberate attempt to spread false info]

    2020 Browns cap liabilities [salary]: $198,199,046.  2020 salary cap: 198,200,000.  Gap: $954.. aka the cost of fixing the starter on the Browns team bus.

    The "cap space" as listed is the one-year accounting relic from our years of being under.  Key concept: nothing gets fixed long-term on one or two 1-yr deals.  As well, the 2021 cap hasn't been set yet - and could be a decrease , down to 175M.

    Let's say you want to sign a LB and a DB for next season.  They're good players and so both want 10M/yr for 3 years.  Next year: Great! Done!  Two years from now, we'd be 10M over [The 30M is all one-year so in this example we used 20 of the 30 in 2021 but added 20M to salary liabilities for 22,23] and have both Ward and Chubb to resign.  This is why I've been saying on many threads that we need to think about the "cap" as just a vehicle for the bonus to resign the players we draft who turn out to be good -- the player looks at the total $$ but the "cap" number would be lower if more was a bonus.

    I couldn't agree more. Sorry I hadn't seen your reply before I replied to the same misconception that we have a ton of cap space because of our rollover cap.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    You know what I especially loved, guys? How we fought BACK.

    Unlike some people who left the Tavern in the beginning of the 3rd quarter... 

    @nero said:

    Unlike some people who left the Tavern in the beginning of the 3rd quarter... 

    I had to go. I didn't want to be a party pooper and I wasn't having fun. I was hanging out with the wifey and the pooch, but I was with yall in spirit! 

  • Marq@MarqsJO
    This you @marcuspeters? Spitting on a dude that’s walking away from you? And you got the nerve to call someone else “home girl?” Bitch move if I’ve ever seen on.
  • @nero said:

    Unlike some people who left the Tavern in the beginning of the 3rd quarter... 

    I had to go. I didn't want to be a party pooper and I wasn't having fun. I was hanging out with the wifey and the pooch, but I was with yall in spirit! 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I had to go. I didn't want to be a party pooper and I wasn't having fun. I was hanging out with the wifey and the pooch, but I was with yall in spirit! 

    We had bets on when you would come running back in. When we tied it up we were sure you would reappear.?

    Jeeessss, even Nero stayed the whole time when it would have been easier to just go to sleep on Spain time when we got down two TDs.?

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I had to go. I didn't want to be a party pooper and I wasn't having fun. I was hanging out with the wifey and the pooch, but I was with yall in spirit! 

    We had bets on when you would come running back in. When we tied it up we were sure you would reappear.?

    Jeeessss, even Nero stayed the whole time when it would have been easier to just go to sleep on Spain time when we got down two TDs.?

    @texasag1969 said:

    We had bets on when you would come running back in. When we tied it up we were sure you would reappear.?

    Jeeessss, even Nero stayed the whole time when it would have been easier to just go to sleep on Spain time when we got down two TDs.?

    LOL, I was a WRECK. I have never wanted to win a game so badly in my life. It just felt like it was our turn. We were going to exorcize the demons of so many years. We were going to score with no time on the clock, then run in a 2 point conversion with Chubb to win. 

    It's also hard for me to stay totally in the Tavern because I'm behind like 2 minutes and it's SUPER annoying! 

  • @the-gipper said:

    If that is the case, then why is that not reported for all teams that way?  Why are they always reporting what you say basically are mirage numbers?  I mean, if you know about this, then why don't the networks, the league, the teams know about it? 

    The teams and the league do know about it.  If you do some research on cap space and rollover cap it will make a ton of sense to you.  However I believe I've seen you argue about rollover cap multiple times so it doesn't seem you want to learn it. 

    @bjh2130 said:

    The teams and the league do know about it.  If you do some research on cap space and rollover cap it will make a ton of sense to you.  However I believe I've seen you argue about rollover cap multiple times so it doesn't seem you want to learn it. 

    I interpret that as meaning you want to suck my dick.   

    You are the one that apparently does not want to learn. You can't even keep simple facts straight.  You paid no attention whatsoever to what Unsymp. said.

  • @tour2ma said:


    Here, here...

    I'm also growing fonder of Goodson. Seems to be improving week to week. Like Mitchell he's a UFA in 2021. Also like Mitchell he's high on our D's snap percentage list. Goodson has been onfield for 89.5% of the snaps. Mitchell leads the D at 99.2%.

    He's one of two LBs I'd like to see resigned with the other being Smith who just seems like a solid vet and the kind of guy you'd want in your LB room.

    Smith Goodson Taki Wilson...is the plan to bring them all back?  My hope is a starter is found in free agency and another is found Day 1 or 2 of the draft. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Smith Goodson Taki Wilson...is the plan to bring them all back?  My hope is a starter is found in free agency and another is found Day 1 or 2 of the draft. 

    Doubtful since I just posted within the past couple days the exact LB plan you propose... and that was at least the 2nd time I've done so. So keeping them all would result in a very crowded LB room.

    I can see Goodson starting and Smith in a backup role.

    At ~$230k Wilson is a cheap cut. Taki? Not so much at $720k... so maybe one more year of STs for him... if there is room in the room.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Smith Goodson Taki Wilson...is the plan to bring them all back?  My hope is a starter is found in free agency and another is found Day 1 or 2 of the draft. 

    Doubtful since I just posted within the past couple days the exact LB plan you propose... and that was at least the 2nd time I've done so. So keeping them all would result in a very crowded LB room.

    I can see Goodson starting and Smith in a backup role.

    At ~$230k Wilson is a cheap cut. Taki? Not so much at $720k... so maybe one more year of STs for him... if there is room in the room.

    @tour2ma said:

    Doubtful since I just posted within the past couple days the exact LB plan you propose... and that was at least the 2nd time I've done so. So keeping them all would result in a very crowded LB room.

    I can see Goodson starting and Smith in a backup role.

    At ~$230k Wilson is a cheap cut. Taki? Not so much at $720k... so maybe one more year of STs for him... if there is room in the room.

    I can count on one hand the number of plays that Wilson has looked like a starting LB.  Could and should be gone.

    I keep Taki and maybe change expectation Marginal starter (backup on a good team) special teams guy 

    Goodson backup good depth.

    You give Philips another year.

    That leaves a starter needed (free agent) may want to make a splash and a day two guy who hopefully flashes and can play a decent sized role in year 1.

    $$$ Free agent, Rookie, Goodson, Phillips, Taki, Late round draftee or FA. 
     

    DE, DT, Two Backers, both Safety positions - we probably need 6 new starters on defense next year maybe 7 if you can’t bring Money Mitch back.  That’s a major overhaul 

  • FWIW Taki squared graded well in the Ravens game per PFF. Mayhaps things are starting to click for him?

    Just looked up his 2020 PFF grade and it’s 68, which is considered “backup” by them, but starting at 70 is “starter”, so a few more games like the last one and he could be low end starter material.

    https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/sione-takitaki/12666

  • @bjh2130 said:

    The teams and the league do know about it.  If you do some research on cap space and rollover cap it will make a ton of sense to you.  However I believe I've seen you argue about rollover cap multiple times so it doesn't seem you want to learn it. 

    I interpret that as meaning you want to suck my dick.   

    You are the one that apparently does not want to learn. You can't even keep simple facts straight.  You paid no attention whatsoever to what Unsymp. said.

    @the-gipper said:

    I interpret that as meaning you want to suck my dick.   

    You are the one that apparently does not want to learn. You can't even keep simple facts straight.  You paid no attention whatsoever to what Unsymp. said.

    No I do not wish to suck your dick which is just another one of your many wrong interpretations. How you got that interpretation I'll never know unless its just wishful thinking.  If it wishful thinking then i just want to start off saying there is nothing wrong with your sexual orientation. Look I'm flattered but I'm heterosexual and don't wish to engage in any kind of sexual acts with you.  Keep shooting your shots though you will find your prince charming someday.

    Now on to the actual football I didn't skew any "facts" and I always welcome learning something knew. I know exactly what Unsympathetic said and completely agree with him. He is one of several on here that have a very good understanding on our cap space situation. Unsympathetic understands our 30 million in cap is all rollover cap that we have accumulated from being under the cap in previous years.  Once it is spent (generally used on resigning young players to extension) that money is gone. 

  • Taki is good for a spot starter / career backup.. nothing more.  He can't change direction well - much like the occasional good plays made by Wilson, you can't count on him.

  • Taki is good for a spot starter / career backup.. nothing more.  He can't change direction well - much like the occasional good plays made by Wilson, you can't count on him.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Taki is good for a spot starter / career backup.. nothing more.  He can't change direction well - much like the occasional good plays made by Wilson, you can't count on him.

    Taki squared is the best direction changer l’ve ever seen. He goes left. And then he goes right. Sometimes he goes right, and then he goes left. It’s like angles and shit. 
     

    Here’s a youtube video that came up when l googled “Takitaki direction changer” that totally proves my point.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I interpret that as meaning you want to suck my dick.   

    You are the one that apparently does not want to learn. You can't even keep simple facts straight.  You paid no attention whatsoever to what Unsymp. said.

    No I do not wish to suck your dick which is just another one of your many wrong interpretations. How you got that interpretation I'll never know unless its just wishful thinking.  If it wishful thinking then i just want to start off saying there is nothing wrong with your sexual orientation. Look I'm flattered but I'm heterosexual and don't wish to engage in any kind of sexual acts with you.  Keep shooting your shots though you will find your prince charming someday.

    Now on to the actual football I didn't skew any "facts" and I always welcome learning something knew. I know exactly what Unsympathetic said and completely agree with him. He is one of several on here that have a very good understanding on our cap space situation. Unsympathetic understands our 30 million in cap is all rollover cap that we have accumulated from being under the cap in previous years.  Once it is spent (generally used on resigning young players to extension) that money is gone. 

    @bjh2130 said:

    No I do not wish to suck your dick which is just another one of your many wrong interpretations. How you got that interpretation I'll never know unless its just wishful thinking. 

    Well, as gay as some of your takes are, I just assumed. 

    If it wishful thinking then i just want to start off saying there is nothing wrong with your sexual orientation. Look I'm flattered but I'm heterosexual and don't wish to engage in any kind of sexual acts with you.  Keep shooting your shots though you will find your prince charming someday.

    You are so dense I think you actually were taking me seriously...and I think thou dost protest too much. 

    Now on to the actual football I didn't skew any "facts" and I always welcome learning something knew. I know exactly what Unsympathetic said and completely agree with him. He is one of several on here that have a very good understanding on our cap space situation. Unsympathetic understands our 30 million in cap is all rollover cap that we have accumulated from being under the cap in previous years.  Once it is spent (generally used on resigning young players to extension) that money is gone. 

    Explain it to the networks and the media then....as they are the ones that keep propping up the fact that we have 30 million to spend.