Skip to content

2021 'Who are you watching?' NFL prospect thread.

The Browns Board
402 20 13.5k
  • The Tide is rolling in..

    Four Alabama football players announced Thursday that they will be passing on remaining years of eligibility to enter the 2021 NFL draft: quarterback Mac Jones, wide receiver Jaylen Waddle, defensive lineman Christian Barmore and cornerback Patrick Surtain II. All of them have recently been projected as first-round picks.

    Four Alabama standouts, including Mac Jones, announce departure to NFL (msn.com)

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    The Tide is rolling in..

    And how many of them will turn out to have been overrated players. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    The Tide is rolling in..

    And how many of them will turn out to have been overrated players. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    And how many of them will turn out to have been overrated players. 

    1

  • @the-gipper said:

    And how many of them will turn out to have been overrated players. 

    1

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    1

    Jones?

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @tour2ma said:

    Jones?

    He's going to have to be with a coach as good as Saban (or Stef) who can meticulously pick out defensive weaknesses that are tailor made for Jones to take advantage with the skills he has or can build upon. I've never trusted more recent Bama or OSU QBs to be very good in the NFL. Waddle was almost as good as Smith before the injury I think and you could see he was still decent enough to play well with one wheel some of the NC game. Kid plays with heart. That impressed me. Smith is going to be one of those really great NFL receivers. He deserved the Heisman. Barmore may go first round as the best DT in this year's draft. Tough to move him out and good at pushing into the pocket. He actually may be there when we pick as BPA.

    EDIT: Draftek actually has Waddle going before Smith in their mock draft right now. Correction to that. They have him higher on their Big Board, but have Smith drafted first.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Jones?

    He's going to have to be with a coach as good as Saban (or Stef) who can meticulously pick out defensive weaknesses that are tailor made for Jones to take advantage with the skills he has or can build upon. I've never trusted more recent Bama or OSU QBs to be very good in the NFL. Waddle was almost as good as Smith before the injury I think and you could see he was still decent enough to play well with one wheel some of the NC game. Kid plays with heart. That impressed me. Smith is going to be one of those really great NFL receivers. He deserved the Heisman. Barmore may go first round as the best DT in this year's draft. Tough to move him out and good at pushing into the pocket. He actually may be there when we pick as BPA.

    EDIT: Draftek actually has Waddle going before Smith in their mock draft right now. Correction to that. They have him higher on their Big Board, but have Smith drafted first.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Barmore may go first round as the best DT in this year's draft.

    Barmore's quickness surprised me. Even made me think of Aaron Donald a couple times...

    ... then I came to my senses. 😉

  • @the-gipper said:

    And how many of them will turn out to have been overrated players. 

    1

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    1

    Their history is like more than half. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Jones?

    He's going to have to be with a coach as good as Saban (or Stef) who can meticulously pick out defensive weaknesses that are tailor made for Jones to take advantage with the skills he has or can build upon. I've never trusted more recent Bama or OSU QBs to be very good in the NFL. Waddle was almost as good as Smith before the injury I think and you could see he was still decent enough to play well with one wheel some of the NC game. Kid plays with heart. That impressed me. Smith is going to be one of those really great NFL receivers. He deserved the Heisman. Barmore may go first round as the best DT in this year's draft. Tough to move him out and good at pushing into the pocket. He actually may be there when we pick as BPA.

    EDIT: Draftek actually has Waddle going before Smith in their mock draft right now. Correction to that. They have him higher on their Big Board, but have Smith drafted first.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    He's going to have to be with a coach as good as Saban (or Stef) who can meticulously pick out defensive weaknesses that are tailor made for Jones to take advantage with the skills he has or can build upon. I've never trusted more recent Bama or OSU QBs to be very good in the NFL. Waddle was almost as good as Smith before the injury I think and you could see he was still decent enough to play well with one wheel some of the NC game. Kid plays with heart. That impressed me. Smith is going to be one of those really great NFL receivers. He deserved the Heisman. Barmore may go first round as the best DT in this year's draft. Tough to move him out and good at pushing into the pocket. He actually may be there when we pick as BPA.

    EDIT: Draftek actually has Waddle going before Smith in their mock draft right now. Correction to that. They have him higher on their Big Board, but have Smith drafted first.

    McElroy  or McCarron quality. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Barmore may go first round as the best DT in this year's draft.

    Barmore's quickness surprised me. Even made me think of Aaron Donald a couple times...

    ... then I came to my senses. 😉

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Barmore's quickness surprised me. Even made me think of Aaron Donald a couple times...

    ... then I came to my senses. 😉

    https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/12/christian-barmore/

    Donald is 6'1", 280. But since you mention it, Barmore's serious power and quickness was amazing. Barmore is 6'5", 315.

    Just...amazing to watch him dominate.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    If recent history stays trend - then Surtain.

  • If recent history stays trend - then Surtain.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    If recent history stays trend - then Surtain.

    Say what?

    No seriously, what were you trying to say?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    If recent history stays trend - then Surtain.

    Say what?

    No seriously, what were you trying to say?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Say what?

    No seriously, what were you trying to say?

    Kareem Jackson
    Dre Kirkpatrick
    Dee Milliner
    Marlon Humprhey
    Javier Arenas
    Cyrus Jones (60)
    Trevon Diggs (51)  
     

    I included a couple picks just outside the top 50.  But those are the CB's selected from Bama in the top 50 range.   Outside of Humphrey, isn't a pro-bowler to be found.    Milliner a regarded bust.  Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Arenas all drafted well above how they've played.  NE shipped Jones after after 1 season and jury is still out on Diggs.

    In short, Bama corners haven't been very good in the NFL.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Say what?

    No seriously, what were you trying to say?

    Kareem Jackson
    Dre Kirkpatrick
    Dee Milliner
    Marlon Humprhey
    Javier Arenas
    Cyrus Jones (60)
    Trevon Diggs (51)  
     

    I included a couple picks just outside the top 50.  But those are the CB's selected from Bama in the top 50 range.   Outside of Humphrey, isn't a pro-bowler to be found.    Milliner a regarded bust.  Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Arenas all drafted well above how they've played.  NE shipped Jones after after 1 season and jury is still out on Diggs.

    In short, Bama corners haven't been very good in the NFL.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Kareem Jackson
    Dre Kirkpatrick
    Dee Milliner
    Marlon Humprhey
    Javier Arenas
    Cyrus Jones (60)
    Trevon Diggs (51)  
     

    I included a couple picks just outside the top 50.  But those are the CB's selected from Bama in the top 50 range.   Outside of Humphrey, isn't a pro-bowler to be found.    Milliner a regarded bust.  Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Arenas all drafted well above how they've played.  NE shipped Jones after after 1 season and jury is still out on Diggs.

    In short, Bama corners haven't been very good in the NFL.

    You mentioned Barmore.     How have their  DTs fared? 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    I'm looking at midround DB's.  Someone who I feel can step in at the #3 CB, but also gives me some scheme flexibility too.  Been watching this kid a good deal this morning and I really love what I see so far.  

    Kary Vincent, DB, LSU.  (#5)   Or as I like to call him - New Badger

    @ 24 seconds.  Carries Ceedee Lamb in quarters and stays in his pocket.  Not easy, just ask the NFL.

    @ 42 seconds.  Really impressive here.  Ends up dropping into a deep 1/3 on a zone replacement, gets his eyes back to the action, covers ground being just inside  that hash and doesn't just deny the home run shot -   He turns it into a possession going the other way.    This kid can MOVE.

    @ 1:28   Again draws Ceedee in quarters.  OU really went at Kary and paid the price for it, I just don't think Sooners coaches appreciated his abilities.  Either that or they wanted to take advantage of his size. (5'10 190).    As a "smaller" DB (Fuck you Tour, I'm every bit of 5'11)..  I LOVE seeing these guys play "bigger" than they are.     Looks like a little post-corner shot here and Kary is all over this one.

    @ 2:12  Playing the deep 1/3, flows with the rollout and gets downhill to limit the damage on YAC.   Shows great willingness to stick his nose in on the run.  Actually secures tackles, flys downhill, breakdowns and wraps up VERY well.   

    @ 2:41 cover 1 with a 5th boundary pressure.  Man coverage, does a great job recognizing the route, getting over the rub and again immediately limiting any gain.  I can't say again how impressive this is in the modern CFB game.  Any time I see DB's WANTING to tackle in open space?  yeah, you have my respect.

    I'm on board with what I've seen so far and despite him opting out of the 2020 season, this is a DB I'm prioritizing for my mid-round(s) film list.  I'm going to pour over everything I can find of his before I move onto another player.  But a skill set like this would go a long way to helping the Browns defense.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    ^^^^^^^^......giving us an entire  LSU defensive backfield? 

  • Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by

    Obviously defensive guys galore.

    But an offensive guy I would seriously consider in mid to late rounds is Anthony Schwartz WR from Auburn. Will certainly take top off defense. 

    4.27 40

    6'1 180

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    I'm still trying to figure out the first round.

    I'm down to figuring, so far..... that the list of three players the Browns would draft, given their

    late position... can't see any top three or four cb's that are first round cb's falling to the Browns....

    Zaven Collins - has been a favorite choice.

    Christian Barmore - he's that great on the DL

    Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

    one of these three are it, I think. Owusu is a tween lb/SS with 4.4 speed. Smart, intuitive and violent.

    Zaven Collins is very fast, big, diagnoses plays, very smart....

    and Barmore is a big man that moves like a powerful smaller defensive end.

    and don't be surprised if Owusu and Collins are both already gone.

    The Browns may have to trade up a bit to have a chance at all three.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    Already a long going thread on this. Go read it.

  • Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by

    This can be moved then. I had no idea there was one already 

  • I'm looking at midround DB's.  Someone who I feel can step in at the #3 CB, but also gives me some scheme flexibility too.  Been watching this kid a good deal this morning and I really love what I see so far.  

    Kary Vincent, DB, LSU.  (#5)   Or as I like to call him - New Badger

    @ 24 seconds.  Carries Ceedee Lamb in quarters and stays in his pocket.  Not easy, just ask the NFL.

    @ 42 seconds.  Really impressive here.  Ends up dropping into a deep 1/3 on a zone replacement, gets his eyes back to the action, covers ground being just inside  that hash and doesn't just deny the home run shot -   He turns it into a possession going the other way.    This kid can MOVE.

    @ 1:28   Again draws Ceedee in quarters.  OU really went at Kary and paid the price for it, I just don't think Sooners coaches appreciated his abilities.  Either that or they wanted to take advantage of his size. (5'10 190).    As a "smaller" DB (Fuck you Tour, I'm every bit of 5'11)..  I LOVE seeing these guys play "bigger" than they are.     Looks like a little post-corner shot here and Kary is all over this one.

    @ 2:12  Playing the deep 1/3, flows with the rollout and gets downhill to limit the damage on YAC.   Shows great willingness to stick his nose in on the run.  Actually secures tackles, flys downhill, breakdowns and wraps up VERY well.   

    @ 2:41 cover 1 with a 5th boundary pressure.  Man coverage, does a great job recognizing the route, getting over the rub and again immediately limiting any gain.  I can't say again how impressive this is in the modern CFB game.  Any time I see DB's WANTING to tackle in open space?  yeah, you have my respect.

    I'm on board with what I've seen so far and despite him opting out of the 2020 season, this is a DB I'm prioritizing for my mid-round(s) film list.  I'm going to pour over everything I can find of his before I move onto another player.  But a skill set like this would go a long way to helping the Browns defense.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Kary Vincent, DB, LSU. 

    They don't call it DBU for nothing...

  • I'm still trying to figure out the first round.

    I'm down to figuring, so far..... that the list of three players the Browns would draft, given their

    late position... can't see any top three or four cb's that are first round cb's falling to the Browns....

    Zaven Collins - has been a favorite choice.

    Christian Barmore - he's that great on the DL

    Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

    one of these three are it, I think. Owusu is a tween lb/SS with 4.4 speed. Smart, intuitive and violent.

    Zaven Collins is very fast, big, diagnoses plays, very smart....

    and Barmore is a big man that moves like a powerful smaller defensive end.

    and don't be surprised if Owusu and Collins are both already gone.

    The Browns may have to trade up a bit to have a chance at all three.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    The Browns may have to trade up a bit to have a chance at all three.

    I've been thinking more and more about this, I think Berry loves the power of the draft too much to go blockbuster crazy.

    So I can't see more than 10 spots or so, and then only if a kid, who we absolutely love, falls to the middle of the round.

    More or less what you are saying... I just don't have any names to link to that scenario as yet.